Cicada 3M Build Ideas

83 replies to this topic

#61 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Due to the changes in Netcode the 3M became my new favorite mech and even made me sell off my 2A.

The setup I run is:

3 LL
XL 285 (127 kph with Speed tweak)
ECM
DHS, FF, ES

This makes for great hit and run mech.

My favorite tactic (mind you I'm a lonewolf player only doing random queues) is flanking the enemy and try to stall the assaults that hang back in a fight between obstacles. The 27 dmg Alphas I can do twice in a row are just great to wear them down while they often lack the weaponry (no lasers, heavy on SRMs, Ballistics, LRMs) to do much more than a scratch on me.

I've grown quite a fan of Large Lasers since the Netcode fix. It's just great to kill them arms and sidetorsos even from their maxrange.

#62 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 01 February 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Due to the changes in Netcode the 3M became my new favorite mech and even made me sell off my 2A.

The setup I run is:

3 LL
XL 285 (127 kph with Speed tweak)
ECM
DHS, FF, ES

This makes for great hit and run mech.

My favorite tactic (mind you I'm a lonewolf player only doing random queues) is flanking the enemy and try to stall the assaults that hang back in a fight between obstacles. The 27 dmg Alphas I can do twice in a row are just great to wear them down while they often lack the weaponry (no lasers, heavy on SRMs, Ballistics, LRMs) to do much more than a scratch on me.

How many heatsinks do you have? I can't get any more than the standard 10 in with 3LL+ECM, without dropping armor a LOT.

Since you're pretty close range anyway, from what I understood of your tactics, have you considered switching the CT large laser for 2xML, getting 3 extra tons for heatsinks?

Edited by Stringburka, 09 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#63 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostStringburka, on 09 February 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

How many heatsinks do you have? I can't get any more than the standard 10 in with 3LL+ECM, without dropping armor a LOT.

Since you're pretty close range anyway, from what I understood of your tactics, have you considered switching the CT large laser for 2xML, getting 3 extra tons for heatsinks?

You're right I run with no additional HS, but I got elite unlocked meaning i got the doubled heat perks from the basic unlocks, which actually do help A LOT.

Your Idea though sounds really worth a try. I will give that a shot.

Though the 3 LL are fun vs the ECM Spider. More than once now I spotted one of them on his scouting run but he didn't see me so when he'd stop to get a view I one shotted him from 500m away.

But your modification sound good. it would even result in an additional damage point.

Edit: Ok I justed tested it. This variant is so much better. Just did 450 DMG on my first test run getting 1 kill 5 assists. Thx for the tip.

Edited by Jason Parker, 09 February 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#64 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 09 February 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Edit: Ok I justed tested it. This variant is so much better. Just did 450 DMG on my first test run getting 1 kill 5 assists. Thx for the tip.

Glad if it works. I'm currently saving up for a 3M, they are so pretty, but feel it's hard to find a build layout that seems good. That'll probably be my pick, then.

#65 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostStringburka, on 09 February 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Glad if it works. I'm currently saving up for a 3M, they are so pretty, but feel it's hard to find a build layout that seems good. That'll probably be my pick, then.

Well the trick on those small mechs with Ballistic hardpoints is not to fall for that. Simply ignore the ballistic hardpoint and get the most you can out of the rest. When MGs finally are usefull then you can consider to make use of those Hardpoints.

#66 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I run mine with 3 medium lasers, 1 large pulse laser and ecm. xl300, endo, ferro, double heatsinks, max armor except arms.

It gets you about the same sustained dps as the quad medium pulse but with more range. Large pulses have the same cycle time as medium lasers so they go together well.

#67 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

3M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c783ceec01347f4 - CDA-3M [MLas x4, ECM, XL320, Endo, DHS x16]

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b190b4a334a376d - CDA-3M [MLas x4, ECM, XL325, Endo, FF, DHS x16]

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0fb1c25055ac7d1 - CDA-3M [UAC5, MLas x4, ECM, XL280, Endo, FF, DHS x11]

Play like your a big light, not a small medium. I regularly get >500dmg/1-3 kills in this thing and it's a lot of fun to run. If you're used to playing lights you will likely do really well in it. If you find yourself doing poorly in it, learn how to survive in aa COM and get back to the CDA. It's a fantastic mech so long as you keep your role of anti-light striker/scout base capping kill stealer. Love my CDAs...

Edited by Loc Nar, 09 February 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#68 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostJason Parker, on 09 February 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Now that I have run my 3M some, I must say I agree. This works great. The 2ML+2LL plays a lot like any skirmisher, but I love the fact that if I'm damaged or there's a big brawl I don't want to risk entering, sniping with the LL are still viable.

When I've gotten all the unlocks, I might even swap one LL for an ERLL.

#69 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Currently trying a "Scout-Sniper" build with 2 ERPPC, 2 ML, ECM and 245 XL Engine. Has two additional heatsinks. So far works quite nice if you keep your distance under ECM. Currently saving on advanced zoom for a bit more precision over long range.

Groups: Group 1: PPCs in chainfire, Group 2: MLs, Group 3: PPCs in "alpha" mode

#70 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

I having allot of trouble finding a good build with the 3m ( i miss my 2b and 2a) but the only decent things i have found aside from the popular 4 medium pulse is
  • xl 280
  • high armour
  • no ecm ( i refuse to use it tried a ac 20 ecm build felt so dirty i switched)
  • 3 medium pulse
  • 1 large
  • 124.7 kph with speed tweak
  • heat is moderate with dhs
  • The one im using now
  • xl 280
  • 4 medium laser
  • 1 lb10x
  • 10 double heatsinks - its very hard to overheat alpha'ed for a while and didn't overheat surpisingly
  • 2 tons of ammo
  • no ecm (ECM handicaps you on this you would need to remove a couple medium lasers and armour to fit it)
  • High armour everywhere except 2 armour on cockpit (never been cockpited) and 7 armour on lb 10x arm and 5 or lower on other torso arm
  • Ex: 41 armour on front torso or 40 on the legs or 31 on torsos (Back armour is around 8 to 9 or 7)
  • 30 firepower
  • 124.7 kph with tweak
Their effective if you use them very right or with a sensible playstyle and sometimes i suck with it and not deal high damage others i do very well

:lol:

Edited by kesuga7, 14 February 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#71 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Had a lot of fun with the lbx10, but I grew tired of running ballistics in the Cicada. They weigh too much to be able to use w/o compromising something else desirable such as speed, armor, etc.

After a lot of experimenting, I have settled on this build as my favorite:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d4d6f759cadeb6

I have been more effective running with 2LL and 2ML than any other combination of weapons.

You can build the -2A and -2B the same way, except with a 320xl instead of a 305xl.

#72 Symbiodinium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

300XL, ECM, 4 Medium pulse lasers, DHS+Endo+Ferro, as many DHS as you can fit in the remaining space (can't remember off the top of my head), max armor. A mean little knife fighter, and the only build I've used that successfully incorporates Ferro. The general tactic is to scan for mechs with weak points (target info module would help) and use the pulse lasers to dissect them while running through the melee and disrupting enemy lines. You can also dogfight with lights fairly effectively (though streak ravens are difficult), pick components off of softened assaults, and sneak up on and wreck isolated missile boats. The best part is that it is absolutely brutal against Hunchbacks and Centurions, and because the CDA is a medium you're likely to draw at least one.

Edited by Symbiodinium, 14 February 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#73 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 14 February 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

I having allot of trouble finding a good build with the 3m ( i miss my 2b and 2a) but the only decent things i have found aside from the popular 4 medium pulse is
  • xl 280
  • high armour
  • no ecm ( i refuse to use it tried a ac 20 ecm build felt so dirty i switched)
  • 3 medium pulse
  • 1 large
  • 124.7 kph with speed tweak
  • heat is moderate with dhs
  • The one im using now
  • xl 280
  • 4 medium laser
  • 1 lb10x
  • 10 double heatsinks - its very hard to overheat alpha'ed for a while and didn't overheat surpisingly
  • 2 tons of ammo
  • no ecm (ECM handicaps you on this you would need to remove a couple medium lasers and armour to fit it)
  • High armour everywhere except 2 armour on cockpit (never been cockpited) and 7 armour on lb 10x arm and 5 or lower on other torso arm
  • Ex: 41 armour on front torso or 40 on the legs or 31 on torsos (Back armour is around 8 to 9 or 7)
  • 30 firepower
  • 124.7 kph with tweak
Their effective if you use them very right or with a sensible playstyle and sometimes i suck with it and not deal high damage others i do very well

;)

I think you might be trying to get too many weapons on the poor little thing. I've found just 4xMLAS and a speedy engine can do respectable damage so long as you keep moving and cherry picking.

#74 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e3e309d54cf7413

1 ER PPC
1 UAC5
1 AMS
1 ECM

i'm saving for that one, my own ecm + ppc will mean i counter their ecm without counter mode.
my UAC5 shoots so fast and will put the rattle on people's cockpits!
only 50 shots though :\ use to strip armor?

i still don't own a cicada but i'm waiting to get this one

it's an upgrade on a build i was planning that included an autocannon instead, i dropped it for uac5.
i call it "Sickada"

Edited by Mazzyplz, 14 February 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#75 gobifire

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

I played a few matches on the 2A Champion ´Mech and did one of my best results i ever got (sorry for my english, i am learning :D). But now i want to buy the 3m because its more flexible with its ballistic hardpoint.
I designed a build with the XL320, 1 DHS, Case, UAC5, two Tons of ammo, three MLAS, an ams with one ton of ammo, endosteel and ferro. Speed 129kph, firepower 20.0, 125 armor.
I love the CDA since i read my first Battletechbooks.
Its a bit more fire support mech, but has also good near field fighting capabilities.

#76 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

anyone tried this?
XL245
AC 10 (3 tons ammo)
2 ML
ECM

this is my setup but I haven't tried it yet. Fearing the 99k/h will be WAY to slow and my death will be swift.

#77 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

What I did: 4 ML, 1 MG, 5 DHS, (two in engine) ECM, and 1 ton of MG ammo. 262 armour hit points, runs fast, just make sure to keep moving, or else you can get A/C'd or PPC'd. This is a hit and run mech. If you strafe around a solo target you can use the MG so spray constant damage about. If you use this, good luck! :ph34r:

Edited by EAP10, 09 June 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#78 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 14 February 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

I think you might be trying to get too many weapons on the poor little thing. I've found just 4xMLAS and a speedy engine can do respectable damage so long as you keep moving and cherry picking.

i use a large laser, 2 med. lasers, and small laser.

#79 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

I had a lot of fun with this build: CDA-3M, XL300, 4 ML, AC5

The AC5 gives you a nice range and you can shoot it when the ML need to cool down. Also amazing to finish off wounded mechs with the AC5. Good all round build, make those AC rounds count!

With the recent pulse laser buff this also rocks: CDA-3M, XL320, 4 MLP

The range is somewhat limited, but you are a bit faster with the XL320. Gives good & accurate close range damage, awsome on smaller maps. Sucks on larger maps like alpine, though.

Also tried this, lots of fun: CDA-3M, XL300, 2LL, 2ML

Good range with the LL, still very nasty close range. Good DPS even on hotter maps.

Overall the Cicada 3M is a very nice mech, the ECM makes it awsome. Its not as fast & agile like a light mech, but it can take quite a punch with an XL300 or XL320. The XL340 is quite heavy, keep in mind that a Jenner at this speed is still more agile and has more free tonnage.
So stick with you team mates and shield them with your ECM. Give them some cover when its raining LRM's and you can turn the tide on most matches. Leave the lone sniper role to the Raven 3L, you are not agile enough if a light catches you anyway.

Edited by SchwarzerPeter, 17 June 2014 - 01:46 AM.

#80 BaluMKO

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

I love my 3M as a sneaky sniper with only 2 ER large + ECM, with radar range , weapon range, and advanced zoom modules, 300 XL engine runs 133 km/h don't feel that I would need more...easy to escape, maneuver and get away from hot spots. Most of the time they don't even know what hit'em.

My role can be ECM support behind an assault lance of dire wolves, they really appreciate the ECM cover; or lone sniper -perfect for shaving off arms and legs or finishing centered mechs or stripped torsos, sometimes perfect spotter for our lrm boats Always depends on the team.

This is my most enjoyable mech to pilot... Also was fun to read other play styles with it!

Good huntin' fellow Cicada pilots!

Edited by BaluMKO, 14 October 2014 - 05:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users