#1 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ok, so I've been playing around with Blender, Noesis, GIMP, game files, etc. And... I have total **** so far. BUT.. and this is a big but, I'm making progress. I will soon be taking all I have learned from the last week of neglecting my job (still getting paid though... yay salary!) and working in Blender, *this* is what I have:

Posted Image

I will soon be writing a tutorial on how to use the in-game files along with some free software to do this yourself. Yes, I've been given permission to do this by PGI. Yes, I hope it will be stickied and soon we'll have a host of .blend files of fully armatured mechs that people can do whatever they want with. But that's this weekend's project, so stand by.

Feel free to critique, but this is just alpha concept work. First I want to figure out how to use the node editor to get the decals to not be washed out, then I'll work on armatures and animating some basic poses/walk cycles (next weekend).

Whew. At least I could stop working on rendering the mechs myself. I managed to get about a quarter of that damn Cat modeled in about 10 hours of work. Now I have all the mechs in Blender format, and it just took me 15 minutes. Thanks PGI! You guys rock!

#2 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Looking forward to this. I have Blender installed at work. There goes productivity! Good thing there isn't much going on during the holidays. B)

#3 DifferentFish

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Would it be possible for you to post .obj versions as well for us 3ds Max users?

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostDifferentFish, on 15 December 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Would it be possible for you to post .obj versions as well for us 3ds Max users?

Don't ingame files use that? I'm fairly sure they modelled everything with 3DS Max.

And I'll have to thank you, Heffay. My bro loves doing things in Blender and getting those mech files... :)

#5 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostAdridos, on 15 December 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Don't ingame files use that? I'm fairly sure they modelled everything with 3DS Max.

The .chr files used in Cryengine 3 are a different format than the .chr files used in 3DS Max. Unless there's an updated plugin or CE3 Devkit (which is free btw) can save objects to other formats now. A shareware program 3D Object Converter can convert CE and CE2 objects, but not CE3 files just yet as of this posting.

I'm not sure how to get objects from MWO without using a program designed for such a purpose.

In a related note to the topic at hand, this was something I'd been picking at off and on between projects since the 3015 trailer was released. With MWO out, I was able to do a lot more since it looks like the same model.

Posted Image

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostDifferentFish, on 15 December 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

My tutorial will show you how to export it to .obj files as well. In fact, because they are modeled with 3DS Max, it'll probably end up being easier for you to use than for me. I had to clean up the geometry, remove doubles, convert to quads, make vertex groups, yadda yadda yadda.

With 3DS Max, you'll probably be able to use all the UV maps and ...heck, they probably all have armatures all set up for you as well. ;-)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users