Jenner Pilot Looking To Get Into A Heavier Mech. Suggestions?

27 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, South Dakota

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

I mostly pilot my Jenner F or K. I have a really good time piloting those mechs, but I want to pick up a heavy or assault mech with more room to play with weapons. I generally consider the Jenner to be a medium to short range mech. I would like to get into a longer range mech that is pretty effective.

I'm just having a little trouble deciding which one...

I have been considering getting one of the Cataphract. I have enjoyed the trial mech they have out right now, but I hear people really like some of the other variants of that. I also considered a Catapult K2, but I have an A1 that I don't even drive anymore because it's too expensive to run. I'm concerned that I'll run into a similar problem with a K2. I'm not saying that I need my mech to be "cheap" to run exactly, but I would like to accumulate C-Bills at a somewhat steady rate.

Buying the Muromets is off the table. I'm just not going to spend $25 on this game right now (even though I'm sure the c-bill bonus is nice in the long run).

I'm thinking I would like a decent long range sniper with some short range capability (perhaps large lasers?)

Any opinions would be welcome.

#2 Mr Steik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Wait and check out the Stalker? Good for long and short range ( no ballistic slots )

#3 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostMr Steik, on 15 December 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Wait and check out the Stalker? Good for long and short range ( no ballistic slots )

I hadn't really considered the Stalker. From the screenshots so far... I'm not sure about it. Looks like a very punchable torso from what I've seen. I'll have to take a look at their hardpoints and what not. It's only 3 days away (or so)

#4 Mr Steik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Most variants have at least 4 missile 4 laser. Boaters paradise

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Large Lasers are pretty cheap to repair so as long as you don't go overboard with XL/Ferro and other silly things, any Cataphract like the 1X can get you your 4 Large Lasers and acceptable repairs. You can do the same with the K2 though you have 5 tons less to work with.

The K2 can go Dual Gauss sniper or quad Large Laser while the certain Cataphracts can only go one way or the other. 1X can go quad large, 4X can go dual Gauss, there's another one with jump jets that can dual gauss but one is in the arm and the other is in the torso so it might be a bit hard to aim both.

Muromets can't go quad Large Laser and if you just want dual gauss, the K2, 4X and 3D can do the same. The Atlas RS can go quad Large Laser, but you'll just end up summoning a D-DC with ECM on the other team so I can't recommend it.

K2 will get you any long-range setup you want and will only be expensive if you go XL. I'm not sure if the 3D can go quad large laser since I didn't buy that one.

My Ilya Muromets has expensive toys all over it and I've survived a battle and we won but my repair bill was 88k.

My more reasonable, non-XL heavy mechs average at around 40-50k with an upwards of 60k when they really get busted up badly.

Edited by Elizander, 15 December 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#6 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Was just going back over the descriptions of the Stalkers and they look promising. I think I'm going to avoid getting too much into ammo based weapons (maybe some missiles) and I'm a little concerned about gauss these days with them increasing the fragility of them. Large lasers look more along the lines of what I would go for. I'd almost consider Large Pulse Lasers... I do so like the sound of those. ;)

I'll have to think on this a bit more, but I appreciate the suggestions as they're giving me some views into the heavier mechs. I think it'll help me make a more informed decision when I do drop the Cbills on one. I think right now I'm leaning more toward a Cataphract or Stalker than a K2, but there is still much to consider. Plus, for some of them I don't think I quite have the C-Bills yet (sitting at 6.5 million right now but will be growing that number to whatever I purchase).

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Large Pulse Lasers have terrible range though. They aren't much better than Medium Lasers, so take it into consideration before you buy them.

#8 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

On the Phract side the 3d is the sniper config. Repair bills about 80k (XL engine). I found the Jump Jets to be "Meh" so far. Cannot reach the stuff you can with a Jenner. I am not that good, but do more damage than with my Jenner, and last a bit longer. Take into account that the map design except for Caustic is done with the intention of nerfing long range combat, circle of death and legging.

Some skillz is advised to minimise damage to that expensive engine. As it is my win percentage is up, but a loss means a c bill setback. I think grinding wise to be about the same as a c bill earner as a tricked out Jenner like the K. (about 55k repairs). Bear in mind my in game alter ego has a death wish, so you may do better.

#9 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

If you want to go non-standard for fire support, you can use an Atlas D or RS to good effect from the 300m-500m range, in the following configuration:

2 Large Lasers
Gauss Rifle w/ 3 tons ammo
2 LRM15 w/ 4 tons ammo
TAG

14 DHS, Endo Steel, 300 STD engine, Artemis, reduced leg/arm armor to fit it all.

I've had games where I put out 1,300+ damage with this thing. You don't carry QUITE enough ammo in the LRMS to just spam them from long range without thinking, but if you get a clear LOS on a target in the open, you can erase it in seconds. Even the much feared atlas DDC... if you tag it at 450M, by the time it closes to 180M to get out of your LRMS it will be a pile of scrap.

Just stay behind your brawlers a bit, and you should be fine.

#10 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

K2 or 3D with lasers is cheap and effective. D-DC with whatever is FOTM.

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Dragon: Oversized light. With a large engine you could run up to 100+ km/h. XL engine is need, however, if you wanna carry enough weapon system, so keep moving and firing. Also, hardpoints are not exactly distributed well.

Catapult: Arguably the best long range supporter. All Catapults are very good missile boats, with the exception of K2 which can be a good sniper with PPC, LL and ballistics. Currently suppressed hard by ECM, so you might wanna find a good ECM teammate. Also, most crucial missile hardpoints are located in arms, which are quite easy to focus fire on, so be careful when brawling.

Cataphract: Arguably the best ballistic/energy weapon platform, not mentioning the hero 'Mech that can mount 2xGauss in arms. Hardpoints are very well distributed for most variants. I've never used a Cataphract but seems to me that they're farely threatening. The only problem I find is that Cataphract's ugly flat upper torso are highly vulnerable against SRM boats.

Awesome: Not as heavily armored as Atlas, but has much better hardpoint distribution and quite a few more crit slots - you can fit in enough firepower even with the largest STD engine. 8Q and 9M are both good laser boats, while the rest can perform very well both as LRM boat and as SRM brawler. My favorite is 8R with 2xLL and 4xSSRM6 - nothing could stand against a solid 78 damage alpha strike. Also, several AWS variants are clearly designed for those PPC fetish lovers. It is worth noting, however, that Awesomes have massive torsos with much less armor than Atlas, which means you won't stand for long against LRM.

Atlas: The BOSS. You can create the most fearsome D-DC brawler, and the other two variants can produce several versatile builds (yes I skipped 7-K because nobody likes it). Also the cover boy identity is a big ego plus. Very slow and very stumpy to pilot, and the weapon hardpoints aren't as good as AWS if you ask me, so it takes a while to get the grip. The heavier armor makes up for the drawbacks though.

Stalker: They are so, so, SO very ugly, but with some extremely good hardpoint designs. I'd say Stalker is the overweight hybrid of Catapult and Awesome. I'm considering upgrading that path as well.

#12 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

More great info I appreciate much, thanks! I'm going to give it a few days (until the patch comes out) before I blow my wad of C-Bills on a heavier mech.

Right now I'm still leaning Stalker based on what I've read, but I want to see how the hardpoints are actually laid out and what not on the variants before I decide.

#13 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Jenner -> 4SP -> Catapult -> Stalker or Atlas --- jumping into an assault after playing only lights will get you killed.

#14 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 15 December 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

Jenner -> 4SP -> Catapult -> Stalker or Atlas --- jumping into an assault after playing only lights will get you killed.

I have a Catapult A1 chassis that I don't even have loaded out at the moment and I've driven plenty of heavier trial mechs. I got into Jenners because I got sick of my Catapult A1 getting nerfed all the time. I keep the chassis around for when I think it will be worth driving again or come up with a good loadout, but I don't want to be an expensive walking target jammed to death by ECM.

#15 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostJohnnyC, on 15 December 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Right now I'm still leaning Stalker based on what I've read, but I want to see how the hardpoints are actually laid out and what not on the variants before I decide.

Go find the MWO Mechbay Program in the General guide subforum.

#16 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

with your catapult A1, might i suggest
1) sticking with teh stock medium lasers, but upgading to DBL heatsinks so that you can use them liberally and using whatever missles you like in teh arms. i run a standard 275engine, 16DBL heatsinks, 2LRM15 with 900 ammo, and it is wonderful. i can pick mech apart at long range, but im not dependant at all, and with my 275 engine an 4 med lasers i can move, shoot and brawl when it comes to that. lighst dont stick around to mess with that.
2) running 3 LL and whatever missles you want, 2 srm6 can rack up the damage along with your triad of Large Lasers
3) running with 4 mpulse and 2 Ssrm2 with an XL300-315 for some real hell that doesn't need a lock to murder.

i say this only because you are going to miss your speed, and catapult a-1 do speed well, can pack the heatsinks to maintain fire, and can pack a punch. all cheap rearms, and none are ammo dependant.

#17 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 15 December 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Cataphract: Arguably the best ballistic/energy weapon platform, not mentioning the hero 'Mech that can mount 2xGauss in arms. Hardpoints are very well distributed for most variants. I've never used a Cataphract but seems to me that they're farely threatening. The only problem I find is that Cataphract's ugly flat upper torso are highly vulnerable against SRM boats.

The -4X can mount x2 Arm Gauss, the -IM can mount 3 but have nothing in armour, engine, and ammo.

#18 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

I would suggest a Hunchback 4SP. With DHS, Endo Steel and Artemis you can rock 2 SRM6s with 2 tons of ammo, 4 Medium Beam Lasers, an AMS and a 250 engine. This has me moving at 89 with speed tweak (81 with out) and with my lasers on chain fire over heating is a non issue.

You have speed, fire power and some pretty good armor. Coming down from a Jenner it might be a good in between before stepping down to even slower mechs.

#19 Lt Limpy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

What Raso said, or another medium mech. Make the transition a bit slow, because going to an assault (or even a heavy) from a light feels like trying to pilot a whale.

#20 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Whatever weightclass you choose: If your main goal is to be able to try a lot of different loadouts go for the most versatile chassis variant. In my view those are the CTF-2X for heavy and the AWS-9M for Assault.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users