61 replies to this topic

#21 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postw0rm, on 17 December 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

Protip: If caught by scout and unable to aim, mimic a shutdown and alpha his *** back to orbit when he stops circling. Works in 7 out of 10 cases.

That **** doesn't work. It's like a magnet to all those kill happy douchebags that run to afk and DCed mechs first and then after wasting half there ammo on their torso (instead of just headshooting) come to help you with the guys that are still shooting back.

In all seriousness though: How am I supposed to alpha said light mech with my LRMs and Streaks that can't lock on becasue said light mech carries an ECM in disrupt mode.

You know I am an exclusive PUGger, thus I can per se not rely on builds that could be in the situation to need the help of an other specific build that's piloted by a teammate. The A1 with just lock on weapons is such a build. In order to be good currently it has to be paired with either a TAG equipped or an ECM equipped mech.

#22 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 17 December 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

That **** doesn't work. It's like a magnet to all those kill happy douchebags that run to afk and DCed mechs first and then after wasting half there ammo on their torso (instead of just headshooting) come to help you with the guys that are still shooting back.

In all seriousness though: How am I supposed to alpha said light mech with my LRMs and Streaks that can't lock on becasue said light mech carries an ECM in disrupt mode.

You know I am an exclusive PUGger, thus I can per se not rely on builds that could be in the situation to need the help of an other specific build that's piloted by a teammate. The A1 with just lock on weapons is such a build. In order to be good currently it has to be paired with either a TAG equipped or an ECM equipped mech.

You stick to your side's ECM atlas, and offer your puny body to protect him while he switches his ECM to counter.

#23 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 December 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

You stick to your side's ECM atlas, and offer your puny body to protect him while he switches his ECM to counter.

Actually I see the ECM Atlas very rarely in my PUG games. Also what did I just say? I do not want to pilot a build that needs to rely on the availablity of another pretty specific build in your team. And your solution is: Stick to a specific build in your team.

#24 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 17 December 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Actually I see the ECM Atlas very rarely in my PUG games. Also what did I just say? I do not want to pilot a build that needs to rely on the availablity of another pretty specific build in your team. And your solution is: Stick to a specific build in your team.

You're not gonna escape being stuck in builds if you want to remain competitive. If you don't care about winning or losing, run free in a dragon.

As the game ages, more and more builds will grow to gold standard levels, and you'll see them being used even more frequently.

#25 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 17 December 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Um...why not a hybrid. 2 lrm 20/15 with 4 streak?

BRILLIANT idea. And my favorite mech to date. That particular video is coming soon

EDIT- No, nevermind i misread. This build isnt any good. I use SRM 6/4/Streak2

View PostUnstruck Fury, on 17 December 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Terrible A1 build. I think I should make a video on how a REAL A1 build should go. I don't mean to brag, but I pride myself on my mech building skills.

I would make a video, however, I user MSI-Afterburner to record and I am not sure how to record my mic audio with it at the same time. If someone could elaborate, I will make a video after I wake up on how to make a pretty mean A1 build going through everything which includes ~cost, armor allocation, weapons, ammo/heat sink placement, upgrades and probably even a game play video if I can record with at least 30 frames average.

As stated several times.... Heh

This build is NOT my design, and certainly i am not a fan. the good builds are coming, uploading one as we speak. Pay attention next time.

Edited by Speerit, 17 December 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#26 Dead Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I just made a tutorial on how to make a fairly mean A1 build. Video should be up within the hour. I'll also post a gameplay video of it if my frame-rate stays stable while recording.

#27 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostAn Individual, on 17 December 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

While I'm sure this is a useful video I can't make it through much of it. This isn't a comment on the actual content. I've been blessed/cursed with the ability to hear sounds more high pitch than the average person. Not that much higher but enough that certain old TVs and Monitors drive me nuts. Your video has a constant high pitched whine in the background that gives me a headache. I'm not sure what the source is or what you can do about it but I figured I should warn you.

That came from ym y settings on the denoiser. Turned them up to high. Thank you for the heads up!

#28 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

View Postw0rm, on 17 December 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

Protip: If caught by scout and unable to aim, mimic a shutdown and alpha his *** back to orbit when he stops circling. Works in 7 out of 10 cases where the scout is a complete imbecile.

I fixed your "protip"

#29 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostUnstruck Fury, on 17 December 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

I just made a tutorial on how to make a fairly mean A1 build. Video should be up within the hour. I'll also post a gameplay video of it if my frame-rate stays stable while recording.

Send me a link man! I would love to see it!

Bottom line, this mech build is indeed a viable mech for those who know how to use it. If you're surprised that on my first go with it i didn't do well, then you have a lot to learn. It isn't my favorite, and my actual favorite is uploading now.

#30 Franchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Locationplaying something else.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Worst 6pack EVER.

#31 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 17 December 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

That's why I personally wouldn't ever touch the A1. I can't attach a TAG to it.

I ran into this problem earlier trying to revive the streakpult.

#32 Sifright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostSpeerit, on 17 December 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Bottom line, this mech build is indeed a viable mech for those who know how to use it. If you're surprised that on my first go with it i didn't do well, then you have a lot to learn. It isn't my favorite, and my actual favorite is uploading now.

The A-1 build I use, by no means the best as I'm saving C-bills for stalker + giant XL engine.

XL-315.
SRM6 X6
6 Tonnes of Ammo.
Double heat sinks.
Endo Steel
Fill remaining space with heat sinks
Full armour.

Put ammo in legs.

#33 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I dont get the outcry for XL engines. I hate XL engines. It increases your "kill me" spots from 3 to 7. (CT,RCT,H,LT,RT.RLT,,RRT)

I agree this is WAY too slow. Someone show me a loadout of a GOOD 6pack W/O XL engine.. I would be interested to see it.

Ammo in the legs, that is the most useful part of this forum i have noted. I'll certainly take that suggestion to heart.

#34 Dead Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostSpeerit, on 17 December 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

To be honest, I didnt watch the gameplay. I just looked at the general build. Much to slow and not a very good heat efficiency. But yes I will post a link to this thread when its done being uploaded. Currently im compressing it down to 300mb from 12 gigs. So within the next 45 mins or so it should be up.

While its uploading I might try and record a gameplay video. All depends on if I can actually play and record at the same time.

#35 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostUnstruck Fury, on 17 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

To be honest, I didnt watch the gameplay. I just looked at the general build. Much to slow and not a very good heat efficiency. But yes I will post a link to this thread when its done being uploaded. Currently im compressing it down to 300mb from 12 gigs. So within the next 45 mins or so it should be up.

While its uploading I might try and record a gameplay video. All depends on if I can actually play and record at the same time.

*Nods head

I'm certainly a noob with the 6pack build, as everyone has made clear LOL. But i am NOT a noob with my other mech, the 2/4/6. You will see that one next.

260 standard
2X SRM 6
2X SRM4
2X Streak SRM
BaProbe
1JJ
Good heat efficiency, fast enough to get out of its own way.

2 mins remaining on THAT vid.

#36 Dead Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

A summary of my A-1 build, I got much more into detail in the video on reasons behind each decision I made with it.

Engine: XL 300 ~74.8 kph
Armament: 4x SRM6 - 2x SRM4
Ammunition: 7 tons (700 missiles)
Armor: 352/422
Heat Efficiency: 1.32
Upgrades: Endo Steel, DHS, Artemis
Firepower: 80

Approx Cost: Base A1 chassis + 8.5m CBills

Edited by Unstruck Fury, 17 December 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#37 Sifright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostSpeerit, on 17 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

I dont get the outcry for XL engines. I hate XL engines. It increases your "kill me" spots from 3 to 7. (CT,RCT,H,LT,RT.RLT,,RRT)

I agree this is WAY too slow. Someone show me a loadout of a GOOD 6pack W/O XL engine.. I would be interested to see it.

Ammo in the legs, that is the most useful part of this forum i have noted. I'll certainly take that suggestion to heart.

The reason the XL engine is a good choice for the catapult is because the side torsos are almost impossible to hit on it.

out of a hundred games I can count on one hand the number times a side torso kill has been the reason I died.

For most mechs an XL engine is a death sentence. It isn't with the Catapult and it probably wont be with the talker either.

Posted ImageArea in red is the side torso.

From a front on profile it's almost impossible to shoot.

You are vulnerable when being flanked but people tend to shoot the ears when flanking which is another reason not to put the ammo in your weapon mounting.

Edited by Sifright, 17 December 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#38 Speerit Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostUnstruck Fury, on 17 December 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

A summary of my A-1 build, I got much more into detail in the video on reasons behind each decision I made with it.

Engine: XL 300 ~74.8 kph
Armament: 4x SRM6 - 2x SRM4
Ammunition: 7 tons (700 missiles)
Armor: 352/422
Heat Efficiency: 1.32
Upgrades: Endo Steel, DHS, Artemis
Firepower: 80

Approx Cost: Base A1 chassis + 8.5m CBills

See though, for your costly XL 300 engine.... You move 6 KMPH faster than me? Thats not worth it, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Especially since, with my elite mech tree, i move @ 69.8 KMPH anyway. And i DONT worry about blowing up all the time.

#39 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

hmm official guide?

Put on 6 ssrm2 load on ammo, press r, point and click click click click click....

There guide done.

#40 Dead Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostSpeerit, on 17 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Unfortunately I do not think there is a "Good" build without an XL for the A1, this is because your too slow.

An SRM cat needs to get up close and personal, you cant do that if you are slow, or you enemy can easily out maneuver you. Also, Left and Right torsos are nearly impossible to hit on Cats. I have maybe died 1 or 2 times out of 30ish matches from hits to my left and right torsos.

XL engine is a must in anything but an LRM boat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users