Cataphract Or Orion?

51 replies to this topic

#1 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm looking to get one of the pocket assault mechs and the Cataphract or Orion is what I'm looking at.

The 3D is a jumper and from playing my Catapults I do love to jump. The Orion has 5 more tons to play with.

Since I'm mainly a Catapult pilot I'm used to the huge CT so I don't think the Orion's CT problems will be something I'm not already used to.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Orion can get a better up front alpha at close range - but brawling requires decent support - something you wont get outside of a 12 man (usually). The 3D can brawl decently, snipe well, has mobility and good high mounted hardpoints, a much better all round mech, with a higher skillcapp and probably more effective in 9/10 situations compared to the facepunch of the orion.

#3 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Both are good. However, if you like jumping get the 3D. IMO, it's the best Cataphract.

#4 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Most serious players much prefer the cataphract. It's much smaller, has better hitboxes, and utilizes ballistics heavily, which are very good at the moment (and have almost never been all that bad in MWO). The CTF also has a lot of variants specializing in different things, so owning different variants is actually useful- you can build for speed, jumping, ballistics, energy, etc. The Orion is pretty much just a miniaturized atlas, so it carries less weapons, less armor, and has a bigger CT, but shares the atlas' lack of maneuverability.

#5 Kolaghan

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

I think a victor is also an option for you.

Edited by PressureCooker, 27 October 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#6 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

PressureCooker, I've considered the Victor but I'm trying to plan ahead if Weight limits get put into drops. As things stand right now it is probably the best choice by a good margin.

The Orion not having a version with jump jets is what bothers me most about it.

How low slung are the arms on the Orion, is it like the Cataphract or more like the Hunchback?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Edited by Roosterfish, 27 October 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#7 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Mastered both 'phracts and Orions so you know I'm not sh*tting.

I would consider Cataphract over Orion. One thing is that I have a VERY brawling-heavy playstyle, and both 'phract 1X and 3D make fantastic brawlers with significant armor and agility with nothing more that a STD300, a handful of MLas and an AC20. 4X is the only 'Mech so far that could effectively boat quad-AC5, and Ilya is the only Hero that I would consider P2W (well, maybe Heavy Metal too).

(no sane person would use 2X)

Orion, however, is not suitable for brawling. It's FAR less agile than a 'phract, and is extremely limited for any AC20 build. Thus it's only suitable for midrange DPS builds...which is not the best role for a humanoid chassis with giant CT and LT.

#8 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just to give a counter argument, I've had a lot of success brawling in an Orion. No, it can't boat ballistics as the meta seems to demand at the moment, but with a good mix of energy, missile and ballistics it's capable of very good sustained damage and incredible burst damage. In contrast the 'phract, the ON1-K can carry 4 MLas, an AC20 and 2 SRM6 which I think gives it the edge in close-range damage. My personal favourite is the ON1-V with 2 LPLas, AC10 and 2SRM6.

As for arguments about agility, the 3D does have JJ, so obviously that wins out. However, the ballistic-heavy 4X has a stupidly low top speed. In my experience, the Orion feels incredibly sluggish at first, but if you have the patience to Elite it, it gets really quite lively.

#9 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Well I was seduced by the siren song of the multiple UAC's and AC's that the Cataphract can sport.

I've started with the 4X and next up will be the 3D. After that I might get the Ilya if the new Jester doesn't have jump jets and if it does I'll get the 1X.

Eventually I will probably add the Orion to my bays I'm still interested in it and think it could be a good ride.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

#10 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

I will go against the stream and say..

Iv mastered both mechs, and i rarely play my CTF but i bring my orions out every time i get.

Sure if you are sold on 2XUAC5 go CTF-3D otherwise orion all the way.

#11 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

Orion ON1-V, all the way!

And besides, this is what Sarna.net says about the Orion:
"The Orion was first built in 2456 as the ultimate BattleMech. The Orion is a dependable workhorse design that can handle almost any combat role, thanks to its mix of long- and short-range weaponry and its respectable 14 tons of armor."

Edited by Stingray1234, 01 November 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#12 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

CTF > ON1, if you like to brawl. If not then the ON1 may be a better choice.

View PostRavensScar, on 28 October 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Just to give a counter argument, I've had a lot of success brawling in an Orion. No, it can't boat ballistics as the meta seems to demand at the moment, but with a good mix of energy, missile and ballistics it's capable of very good sustained damage and incredible burst damage. In contrast the 'phract, the ON1-K can carry 4 MLas, an AC20 and 2 SRM6 which I think gives it the edge in close-range damage. My personal favourite is the ON1-V with 2 LPLas, AC10 and 2SRM6.

As for arguments about agility, the 3D does have JJ, so obviously that wins out. However, the ballistic-heavy 4X has a stupidly low top speed. In my experience, the Orion feels incredibly sluggish at first, but if you have the patience to Elite it, it gets really quite lively.

I will say the lasers in the of the ON1 have strong synergy with Stream SRM2. Shoot point-point damage with laser and get lock-on, unleash SSRM2 hell. It's a nice-ish combo.

Dakka is still better.

#13 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

I've mastered my 3D and really enjoyed it, it's a keeper.

The 4X is neat but all the best builds run an XL engine so it's fragile and man does this thing just trundle along, the only time it moves fast is when it falls off a high point. This is a special mech much like the Catapult A1 and I do see where it could shine but so far I've not made it shine.

If I decide to keep my 1X it'll be an AC 20 brawler. It's not bad but it's just not my favorite. If it could jump I would like it a ton more.

I will be getting into Orions when I build my space buck stash back up. Depending on how the new Jester can be configured that could delay the Orion for me.

Edited by Roosterfish, 01 November 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostRoosterfish, on 01 November 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I've mastered my 3D and really enjoyed it, it's a keeper.

The 4X is neat but all the best builds run an XL engine so it's fragile and man does this thing just trundles along, the only time it moves fast is when it falls off a high point.

If I decide to keep my 1X it'll be an AC 20 brawler. It's not bad but it's just not my favorite. If it could jump I would like it a ton more.

I will be getting into Orions when I build my space buck stash back up. Depending on how the new Jester can be configured that could delay the Orion for me.

Sometimes that's all you need. 4X, 170 XL engine.

#15 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Kon, about 4:40 into the video you talk about how slow that build in the 4X is lol.

I do like how you were using the AC2 as a spotter round, at least I think that's what you were doing.

These cataphracts are my first big foray into ballistics so I'm not very good at them so far. I dinked around with UACs on my K2, even though it was fun to open up with them I changed away from the build because I had to spend to much face time with it.

#16 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Was considering the Caterphract or Orion myself a few days ago and same as Roosterfish. It was the ballistic boomsticks that lured me.
Enough exp in my 4x to elite it after I finish grinding the 3D to 21.5k (nearly there) then the 1x.

Nothing comes close to my Jagermech Jm6-S though!

I would love to play with the Ilya, but she who must be obayed sez my pocket money is either spent on MWO or I gotta stay away from the pub! :ph34r:

#17 Chuffter

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

I;m pondering either a Jagger or a Orion, I've tried the caterphract but found that it dodn't have enough slots to do anything cool with after you got for endo and ferro upgrades.

Jaggers always seem to be kicking my ***, guessing thats a heavy ballistic build mech for you!

#18 Heavenly Angel

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Cataphract if you like shooting into hills, Orion if you like being hit in the CT.

#19 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

For a jumping pocket assault I'd actually go for the Victor :ph34r:
It has the speed and maneuverability of heavies with a weapon load of an assault.

Edited by Edustaja, 01 November 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#20 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Cataphract 3d > every other heavy

Orions are fun brawlers though.

Edited by Roughneck45, 01 November 2013 - 07:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users