Is it just me or do Comstar seem to be the Jerks of battletech

52 replies to this topic

#1 alex kelll

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationKentares

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

In all the fiction i have read to do with mechwarrior or battletech i find that in one way or another comstar is always to blame for the goings on.

I mean look at one of there operation called was a series of inner sphere wide covert attacks by agents of comstar's ROM division against the great house attempt to preserve or rediscover technology lost during the first and second succsession wars.

Also in the blood of keresky books they try and double deal both sides.

So waht do you think are these guys jerks or what? :P

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

What should I say? :P

As someone before me said (with some tweaks): "Every book needs the bad guy. Capellans, or Com Star just tends to be on the bad side more often."

Their interferrence of 4th SW, giving tech to Kuritans, or forming of FRR are their good acomplishments. :P
They simply try to maintain balance in the IS for the most part. ;)

Edited by Adridos, 19 May 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#3 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

They're a telecom company AND a religion. They're pretty much destined to be jerks.

#4 Noble

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

You shall never stop us puny houses and clanners. If you stike us down we'll become more powerful then you can possibly imagine. :P

#5 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

They sound a lot like my internet company.

Yeah, their agenda is just bad all over.

#6 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

yes, yes they are. so much so that they betray themselves, split into two factions and set the entire IS on fire http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jihad

#7 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Some of Comstar (not all!) are power mad and think they are the ones to bring back the good old years of the Star League which is fair enough I don't have a problem with that BUT I do have problem with how they go about it!

F'ing over the IS by helping the clans attack planets that Comstar would give information & details about is wrong!

THEN - Trying to F' over the clans while doing the above isn't a great idea!

Thinking you are god like because they control the HPG's is wrong!

Excommunicating different houses because you spat your dummy out is wrong!

Oh and Myndo Waterly - That Bi-t-ch got what she deserved!

Need I say more?

Edited by Arnie1808, 19 May 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#8 Noble

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

To be honest we Comguard are just looking out for ourselves. We're our own priorty, plus. We did give the IS a 15 year truce. :P

#9 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Are ComStar so bad? Oh, yes, sure, they spy on everyone, assassinate people and commit widespread sabotage to further their own goals. But meanwhile every other faction is gleefully dropping massed nuclear weapons and orbital bombardment on anything and everything that they don't appear to be able to immediately get their hands on. Is there such an immense difference?

And it should be noted that Myndo Waterly was a fool, she's far from the best represantation ComStar ever had...

Edited by Arctic Fox, 19 May 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#10 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Comstar sure is the jerks of the Mechwarrior Online forums!!! :P

*Runs for cover*

#11 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

*redacted* *redacted *redacted* *redacted* *REDACTED*

and thats about it.

#12 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Paul actually *LIKES* Comstar. Enough said.

Cheers.

#13 MarshmallowRampage

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

You are not wrong.

While the Successor Houses were responsable for the destruction of the manufacturing centers needed to build and maintain lostech and even current tech there has been strong indication that ComStar has been behind the lost of the actuall knowledge needed to rebuild those centers, be it stored information or in the heads of people. If a House has gotten close to rediscovering this lost knowledge something has always happened to destory the data and the people working on it.

Im unsure when this trend began, it could be something that ComStar has always done or perhaps it slid into that trend a generation or two after their founders death and grew along side their "mystical" tendencies.

I do know that they made every effort to prevent the Grey Death Memory core from being spread and that they are worked heavily at finding out how House Davion got around their black out so they can destroy it. The head of Comstar during the 4th S.W.... if I remember correctly it was to even out the advantage of Federated Suns and the Lyrian Commonwealth joining into one house so that war would continue untill all the houses were so run down that Comstar could swoop in like saviours and reunite all of the inner sphere under them.

#14 Kairaku

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts
  • LocationParaparaumu, New Zealand

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

They make Machevelli look like an amateur.

Don't trust them further than you can throw an Atlas.

#15 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

They are AT&T with a fleet of giant spaceships, a bad religion, and thousands of killer robots. What do you expect?

Edited by Zakatak, 19 May 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#16 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostNoble, on 19 May 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

To be honest we Comguard are just looking out for ourselves. We're our own priorty, plus. We did give the IS a 15 year truce. :)

Well, I'll give Focht all the respect he deserves, but Tukayyid was more about self-preservation than anything else. The Clans were more than willing to grind ComStar under their boot heels with the rest of the Sphere.

View PostArctic Fox, on 19 May 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Are ComStar so bad? Oh, yes, sure, they spy on everyone, assassinate people and commit widespread sabotage to further their own goals. But meanwhile every other faction is gleefully dropping massed nuclear weapons and orbital bombardment on anything and everything that they don't appear to be able to immediately get their hands on. Is there such an immense difference?

And it should be noted that Myndo Waterly was a fool, she's far from the best represantation ComStar ever had...

Well, Waterly was the byproduct of a faction within ComStar that already believed it's true purpose was to conquer all of humanity. Was she a fool? Absolutely. However, without the support of those who kept her in power and went along with her plans, she would have been nothing. The entirety of ComStar is responsible for their actions, not a lone woman. Even Focht went along with her until he saw the danger the Clans posed to ComStar itself.

#17 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm just waiting for ComStar to fully embrace its roots as a descendent of AT&T and build the largest spherical JumpShip ever. It'll have an enormous PPC cluster that's capable of destroying entire planets in a single volley, and there will be space for entire battalions of 'mechs to fight on the surface of the battlestation.

Of course, the designers at ComStar would have access to the old records and would know that the thermal exhaust ports need to be shielded, so those epic 'mech battles would be needed in order to stop the battlestation before it can destroy the capital planets of the other nations.

The battlestation will be called the 'Com Star,' leading to much confusion, but showing what they've really been putting their vast resources towards.

#18 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

View Posttrycksh0t, on 21 May 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Well, Waterly was the byproduct of a faction within ComStar that already believed it's true purpose was to conquer all of humanity. Was she a fool? Absolutely. However, without the support of those who kept her in power and went along with her plans, she would have been nothing. The entirety of ComStar is responsible for their actions, not a lone woman. Even Focht went along with her until he saw the danger the Clans posed to ComStar itself.

You mean the First Circuit, which didn't approve her orders for Operation Scorpion? The various ComStar personnel who willingly handed over their HPG stations to the Successor States rather than enact the interdiction? Or Anastasius Focht who shot her dead upon returning from Tukayyid? I don't think that were that many in ComStar beyond Waterly herself who agreed with an attempt to directly bring the Successor States under control. Jerome Blake's writings (or at least Conrad Toyama's version of them) make it pretty clear that ComStar's reign will come by willing invitiation, not by conquest. Even the Word of Blake never actually planned to conquer the Inner Sphere by force...

Edited by Arctic Fox, 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#19 Jonathan J Force

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Let us not forget, it was the Comstar who where behind the invasion of the Clan's as well with their Explorer Corps jumpship being captured by the Smoke Jaguars

View PostArctic Fox, on 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

You mean the First Circuit, which didn't approve her orders for Operation Scorpion? The various ComStar personnel who willingly handed over their HPG stations to the Successor States rather than enact the interdiction? Or Anastasius Focht who shot her dead upon returning from Tukayyid? I don't think that were that many in ComStar beyond Waterly herself who agreed with an attempt to directly bring the Successor States under control. Jerome Blake's writings (or at least Conrad Toyama's version of them) make it pretty clear that ComStar's reign will come by willing invitiation, not by conquest. Even the Word of Blake never actually planned to conquer the Inner Sphere by force...

She had more support for her plans than just herself. Otherwise we would of never ended up with The Word of Blake.

#20 MrWhite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

LOL well as someone who played for comstar in ADL for Mech2 mercs and mech4 yes, yes we are a bunch of jerks ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users