Is it just me or do Comstar seem to be the Jerks of battletech

52 replies to this topic

#21 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

The first piece of published Battletech fiction (The Spider and the Wolf - 1986) established Comstar as murderous, manipulative, backstabbing, psychopaths and they have never really failed to live down to their reputation. The first good look at them is when they manipulate Anton Marik into murdering the Wolf's Dragoon dependents so they can see where Jaime gets his supplies. Heck, they flat out confirm that the Marik Civil War was a Comstar operation to manipulate the value of Marik currency. And while it's true that they try to keep the Inner Sphere balanced, their chosen technique is to reduce everyone to a stone-age existence.

It is about what I expect from an armed, religious-fanatic, telecom giant. :o

#22 THE 4thbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationN.Y.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Com star is the bad guy in the blood of kerensky series but they get better in the Twilight of the clans series.

#23 Gregory Twilight

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

all you need to know about com star is shoot any of there agents workers empoyees on sight no questions asked if they work for com star they have a death warrent out for them kill them and be done with it. The IS will be a better place with out them.

#24 Jonathan J Force

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostGregory Twilight, on 23 May 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

all you need to know about com star is shoot any of there agents workers empoyees on sight no questions asked if they work for com star they have a death warrent out for them kill them and be done with it. The IS will be a better place with out them.

Never plan on sending an HPG message I see

#25 Knox

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Pre-schizm Comstar are kinda jerks, but they get a lot of props for Tukayyid. The organization becomes a hell of a lot better after Focht and Mori secularize the group. All the crazies go to the WoB.

Edited by Knox, 27 May 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#26 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Yes, the Word of Blake are jerks.

#27 casaido

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Say what you will. But, Comstar knew how to redirect communications so WoB could wreak their havok. You thought we did not know what was going on. Shoot it tookus 200 + years to find the Lost Tech, and leave the planet off star charts view as some back water world not worth conquering. But, they came in and rescued the brilliant tech who will restore the network and Bring ......you know the kid in the Dark Ages Novel who left with the new white mechs of unknown design. It was the same world I started the Casadune Diaries at MekTek.net. But Mektek has not recovered nor revealed the lost Blogs. Will they use it for some future book. It is unknown. But, this former COMSTAR Pilot will rule the ...verse, inmy own ......? bzzzt commnications are temporarily interrrupted.....Bzzt help Mektek is ROM....Run,.......Tell ......bzzzt

#28 chaz706

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Utah

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

This is what happens when you have absolutely no competition in telecommunications!

#29 Uller Phrost

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Well Com Star was crazy until they lost the Word of Blake. After that they just rolled over and gave everything military (Com Guard) to SLDF. Then they said I am just the Phone company... here is the bill.

The Word of Blake Defence of Terra vs all of humanity was Cheezy but I think it was part of the final match of Battleforce...almost had death stars

#30 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostHelmer, on 19 May 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Paul actually *LIKES* Comstar. Enough said.

Cheers.

More like it......Paul is comstar !!

lmao :P

#31 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostHelmer, on 19 May 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Paul actually *LIKES* Comstar. Enough said.

Cheers.

I would bet money that the Devs ARE Comstar when the game goes live.

that would be amusing.

#32 Your Worst Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

depends, Comstar is a communication company, they just want to get stuff. They did save the inner sphere from the clans, however.

If you look at it in a certain way Comstar is a good guy, but can be bad guys as well, so there pretty neutral, but interfere as well, for instance, they launched an operation to attack the inner sphere and the clans during the Battle of Tukayid, they failed, luckily, but there goal was to be the ruler of everyone.

#33 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

eh.. they were only ***** until after the end of the clan invasion... then all the dicks migrated to word of blake

#34 alexkerensky

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

From what I have read of the books, ComStar seems to think itself the continuing savior of mankind, or at least the inner sphere. Whereas Aleksandre Kerensky took 90% of the old Star League forces and lit out, ComStar sits in the inner sphere and tried to keep what was left in some kind of working order. The how of that is what was either good guy or bad guy, effective or not effective. Passing around information, establishing and maintaining a common currency, spying on everyone (and possibly sharing said information), starting small wars, inhibiting other wars, etc, was all done to further this aim.
Whether or not you think ComStar evil, jerks, negatively neutral, or whatever, they succeeded. Without ComStar, the clans take over terra.

#35 Vhyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationNewark, Ohio

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

I sometimes view Comstar as the Catholic church, a tele communicaitons firm, the UN, and ISIS/ODIN (Archer, yes I used it) all rolled into one. However, after Tukkayyid (spelling of that is horrendous) they more represent the UN in a more broader sense, where as the Word are more like complete psychopaths and religious zealots. I do not beleive that Comstar continues with the religious thing, and move more in the role of UN/telecom.

After that battle (see above) they are a much better faction, and one I'd align with if it were possible. Focht is basically the saviour of Comstar, and turns it into a much better organization, from my pov.

#36 Jaguar Knight

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMissouri, Old Earth.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Comm Star is nothing more then opportunist. The fact that they have given weapons to the losing side of any of the wars only causes more war, more death, and more tech lost. If it was not for Comm Star, the IS would have been reunited under Davion for some time now!

#37 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKelestra City, Furillo, Grand Duchy of Furillo

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

View PostJaguar Knight, on 10 June 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Comm Star is nothing more then opportunist. The fact that they have given weapons to the losing side of any of the wars only causes more war, more death, and more tech lost. If it was not for Comm Star, the IS would have been reunited under Davion for some time now!

To call ComStar opportunist is to totally overlook that most of the things they are "taking advantage of" are things they deliberately engineered. There wouldn't even have BEEN a Third Succession War if ComStar hadn't sabotaged House Steiner's peace conference when they realized it was actually working. Likewise the downslide of technology wasn't just a side effect of the 1st War, it's like 80% ComStar ROM.

#38 Dalfsson

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

from what i've read in all the btech books, the old comstar's thought process was "it is our DESTINY to save the inner sphere after it collapses. if it does not collapse on it's own, we cannot save it. so, we must MAKE it collapse so we can save it. and if we can't be the ones to save it, we will make sure NO ONE can save it". while foct and the comguard put an end to that, Word of Blake still followed it.

#39 Dalfsson

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

minor nit- Decision at thunder rift was published before wolf and spider.

View Postdaetrin voltari, on 22 May 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

The first piece of published Battletech fiction (The Spider and the Wolf - 1986) established Comstar as murderous, manipulative, backstabbing, psychopaths and they have never really failed to live down to their reputation. The first good look at them is when they manipulate Anton Marik into murdering the Wolf's Dragoon dependents so they can see where Jaime gets his supplies. Heck, they flat out confirm that the Marik Civil War was a Comstar operation to manipulate the value of Marik currency. And while it's true that they try to keep the Inner Sphere balanced, their chosen technique is to reduce everyone to a stone-age existence.

It is about what I expect from an armed, religious-fanatic, telecom giant. :D

#40 daniel l siata

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Comstar aren't so much jerks as incredibly dedicated to their cause. Whether the cause and methods used are justifiable is a completely different question.

That being said, I know where I would place my allegiance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users