Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

No problem!

Are you using the .obj format or the Collada format for the exports? The Collada format tends to work a lot better, especially with handling materials. Especially if you start putting together a lot of game assets, not having to redo all the materials over and over can save a lot of time.

#2022 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

I keep getting this when trying to do the Python Console bit:

>>> bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action='TOGGLE')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<blender_console>", line 1, in <module>
File "F:\Downloads\Programs\Blender (-2.77a-windows64)\2.77\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 189, in __call__
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.mesh.select_all.poll() failed, context is incorrect

#2023 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

Well I wonder if there are still some pak available prior to the lego Tech weapon module changes
As far as I can see there are only the modules for the new weapons (the wonky centurion arm as worst offender)

Did somebody had the foresight to secure the old files?

#2024 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 25 October 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I keep getting this when trying to do the Python Console bit:

>>> bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action='TOGGLE')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<blender_console>", line 1, in <module>
File "F:\Downloads\Programs\Blender (-2.77a-windows64)\2.77\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 189, in __call__
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.mesh.select_all.poll() failed, context is incorrect

I'm not really sure what could be causing that. The select all command selects all the objects in the scene. It might fail if the scene is in Edit mode instead of Object mode. Do you know what mode you were in when you ran the import?

View PostKarl Streiger, on 27 October 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

Well I wonder if there are still some pak available prior to the lego Tech weapon module changes
As far as I can see there are only the modules for the new weapons (the wonky centurion arm as worst offender)

Did somebody had the foresight to secure the old files?

I have all the old ones, but most of them are old geometry and they just don't work as well for stuff. The lego tech really is the way to go, for maximum customization.

#2025 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostHeffay, on 27 October 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

I'm not really sure what could be causing that. The select all command selects all the objects in the scene. It might fail if the scene is in Edit mode instead of Object mode. Do you know what mode you were in when you ran the import?

I was in Object mode at the time. Could be the Import.txt is incorrect?

#2026 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 27 October 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

I was in Object mode at the time. Could be the Import.txt is incorrect?

Possibly, but I haven't run into any cases where it's reliably wrong. I have occasionally had to recreate it if it didn't work the first time, but that's really an unsatisfactory answer here. :(

But might as well try that. Delete the existing import.txt, rerun the mech-importer to get a new import.txt file, and start up a fresh copy of blender. If that doesn't work, can you PM me the import.txt file you are using? Err... wait. Those are a bit big for PMs. Can you put it on a dropbox or onedrive or the like?

#2027 Mul T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

1st & foremost, Mad props to Heffay for all his work on this as well as everyone else for their contributions - like using CE3 & dropping mechs as brushes, etc...

I've been following this subject since it came out & had all the original mechs done years ago. I took a long hi-etas from the subject & when I came back it was to see how everyone dealt with the new mech separate parts scheme, animations, skin modifying, etc... using CE3 & Blender

I had no issues in the past doing the original way of
Copying assets into safe dir, unpacking, renaming cga files, Noesis to convert to obj & dds to png, Gimp in there somewhere, & then pulling into render sw of choice (in my case 3ds max).

I tried all weekend to use the mech-importer.ps1 script with powershell but, I'm clearly missing a step which is how to path the script so i can call it while in a specific mech dir & also to recheck if I updated the script with basedir correctly

unpacked assets stored here: "D:\Games\Area-1\Battletech-MWO"
mech-importer script file also in this dir
inside script: $basedir = "D:\Games\Area-1\Battletech-MWO\"

'lil Help please Heffay

BTW I have a 3D printer & had already printed a few of the founder mechs in the past but, after seeing the great work on the pose-able Marauder I've decided to 1 up it & start 3D printing the mechs in big enough scale to motorize them with servos & make working models with Nerf multi-rocket guns for real firing mechanisms which I'll offer the kits once I get the 1st one completed

I just need to finish getting the models in cleanly so i can fix them for 3D printing & assembly ... Happy to share Heffay ..

#2028 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

When you said you unpacked the assets to d:\games\area-1\battletech-mwo, do you mean you have the Object\ and Textures\ directories under there? Keeping the directory layout structure is pretty important for all the scripts and programs to work properly.

You also will probably want to use the cgf-converter program over Noesis. It tends to work a lot better and handles materials properly.

#2029 Mul T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

Yes, I copied the source files into that location & then used 7zip to unpack all the pack files into their folders. So, \battletech-mwo has \mechs, \Objects, \Textures, etc... There is a \mechs sub inside Objects as well but, it only has a partial listing the bulk of the mechs are in \mechs outside of \Objects ... Should I not have unpacked & run cgf-converter & mech-importeron the packed files ?Thanks for the TS help ..

#2030 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostMul T, on 01 November 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

Yes, I copied the source files into that location & then used 7zip to unpack all the pack files into their folders. So, \battletech-mwo has \mechs, \Objects, \Textures, etc... There is a \mechs sub inside Objects as well but, it only has a partial listing the bulk of the mechs are in \mechs outside of \Objects ... Should I not have unpacked & run cgf-converter & mech-importeron the packed files ?Thanks for the TS help ..

The mechs should end up in \Objects\Mechs, with a directory in there for each of mechs in there. In each of the mechs subdirectory you should have the cdf file, and another directory with all the .cga files. If you have a \mechs outside of Objects, that didn't extract to the right place. I'm thinking you need to move that under the Objects directory.

#2031 Mul T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

Ah, I got it now Heffay - it was that things did not unpak into the right places originally (i said \mechs was in 2 places, etc...).
I started from scratch, watched your videos again & specifically noted your dir paths & matched mine this time enough to get the script to run so now I can see all the other items that it's looking for to get in the right place & should be good. will know in a few.

#2032 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Some of my own, and some modified models I've done
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a T-Wolf for good measure

Posted Image

Edited by TheSkiDog, 03 December 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#2033 Ralkir

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationThe spaceport bar

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to open/import the .cgf files into cryengine, so that I can just export them as .obj's from there?

I've been trying to figure it but I don't seem to have the "mesh importer" option under "tools" that I see in youtube videos.

#2034 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostRalkir, on 14 December 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to open/import the .cgf files into cryengine, so that I can just export them as .obj's from there?

I've been trying to figure it but I don't seem to have the "mesh importer" option under "tools" that I see in youtube videos.

I believe some people have managed to import mechs into Cryengine, but I'm not sure if they did it straight from the game files or converted them to something useful first and reimported them in. I'm not sure though.

#2035 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostRalkir, on 14 December 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

if all you need to do is convert .cgf files to .obj then you can just use noesis

#2036 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:48 PM

Would anyone be willing to do me a favor? As some might know I'm a huge Nightstar fan but I want to get an idea of how wide it'd be in game.

So would someone put EbonJ arms on a Marauder IIC?

#2037 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

@Heffay.
So how did you figure out the coordinate system for mech parts?
The reason I ask, is I've just completed assembling a mech from MWLL manually... not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Any thoughts?

#2038 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

View PostTheSkiDog, on 15 January 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

@Heffay.
So how did you figure out the coordinate system for mech parts?
The reason I ask, is I've just completed assembling a mech from MWLL manually... not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Any thoughts?

There is a file in the mech directory that contains all the offsets for each component in xml format. I think it ends in .cdf? Such as atlas.cdf.

I think MWLL just uses legs and torsos. I could be wrong about that though.

#2039 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

i tried to import the bushwacker like always but the legs are out of place
Posted Image

the "foot" is also missing from the import

does anyone else have this problem or is it on my end?

#2040 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

It's a problem with the importer. There is something different about this mech (and those objects) that is causing them to not get placed properly, or not have any readable geometry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users