2251 replies to this topic

#801 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

sorry for asking, but does anyone know where the missile (base defense) turret is located? i only seem to be able to find the gun turret in objects/weapons/turrets

(could it be that they are within the map-file and not a seperate asset?)

nevermind...found it...it's in the same turret folder...don't know why i didnt find it
still have to find a way to assemble it, though...xD

Edited by Iacov, 16 March 2014 - 01:37 AM.

#802 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

here is my current WIP
Posted Image
i call him David
he might be small, but he has stones to throw

i have no idea how to give him a texture, though :/

i first tried to assemble the turrets, like we see them in the turret sneak peak...but they look quite un-armored
i like the beefier look of the current ingame turrets
but when i tried to assemble them, i realised that i don't like the look of turret, because it is off center and rather small, compared to the base

i think about modding the uac barrels to have 5 or 6 barrels to better mimic gatling guns (what was my initial goal) and i will have to add laser mounts
my current plan is to load him out with 2 lrm 15, 2 ams (what the gattling barrels would be for) and maybe 2 mlas or mplas

what do you think what would make a good loadout for a base defense turret?

#803 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

What's the path to the turret files? There should be an associated .mtl file there. And if so, the asset importer script can make the textures for it.

Edit: Found the turrets; they are all explodey like Star Citizen models, unfortunately. But there aren't too many parts to bring into the right place (relatively) at least.

The material files didn't import properly though, so I need to track that down.

Edited by Heffay, 17 March 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#804 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

How do I export newer mechs that don't have the _scale.cgf such as the locust?

#805 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

How do I export newer mechs that don't have the _scale.cgf such as the locust?

with the fantastic script, that Heffay created and keeps developing

#806 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

The one for download on the front page? How do I use it. It just opens up a text web page. Please forgive my ignorance. So far I've manually exported all the parts I wanted for the raven and turned the default 3L into a 4X. I desperately want the Locust though.

#807 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

The one for download on the front page? How do I use it. It just opens up a text web page. Please forgive my ignorance. So far I've manually exported all the parts I wanted for the raven and turned the default 3L into a 4X. I desperately want the Locust though.

Watch the training videos. Part 2 of 3 (and the supplement) deal specifically with mech importer, including getting materials set up. :D

#808 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'll check them out. Ty sir.

#809 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

At 7:51 of video 2 he says he has the mech-importer.ps1 in the path. what path is he talking about? I put that file in the locust root folder and it's not working.

*edit* ok so I opened the location of powershell and figured I had to put the script there. typed the command it enter. it tried to load it and then gave me an error saying the execution of scripts is not allowed on this system.

*edit 2* followed help directions. script ran and couldn't find body obj. slowly getting this.

Edited by OmniJackal, 17 March 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#810 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

At 7:51 of video 2 he says he has the mech-importer.ps1 in the path. what path is he talking about? I put that file in the locust root folder and it's not working.

*edit* ok so I opened the location of powershell and figured I had to put the script there. typed the command it enter. it tried to load it and then gave me an error saying the execution of scripts is not allowed on this system.

*edit 2* followed help directions. script ran and couldn't find body obj. slowly getting this.

System path. I have it in e:\scripts, and put it in the path so I could run it from any directory on the computer without first referencing the directory the script was in.

To fix the execution policy error, run "set-execution policy unrestricted".

#811 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostHeffay, on 17 March 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

System path. I have it in e:\scripts, and put it in the path so I could run it from any directory on the computer without first referencing the directory the script was in.

To fix the execution policy error, run "set-execution policy unrestricted".

I fixed the execution policy but by system path do you mean i'm sticking the script in my system32 folder? Also I figured I could open the script in notepad because it was pointing to the directory you had in the video which obviously doesn't exist on my computer. so i changed the basedir to my directory where i unloaded all the pak files as the script stated. now when i run it it simply says mech is locust and doesn't do anything else.

#812 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Make sure the directory you enter in the script points to the "base directory" of the extracted objects. It expects the mech to be found in objects/mechs/xxx/body from there on. Make sure the .obj files do not have any additional letters (like *out.obj) amended to the end of the file name, as noesis normally does.

I also had to run the script like ".\mech-importer.ps1 commando" (note the .\) to make it work.

This is the resume of the problems I faced at the beginning ^_^

#813 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostGraySho, on 17 March 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Make sure the directory you enter in the script points to the "base directory" of the extracted objects. It expects the mech to be found in objects/mechs/xxx/body from there on. Make sure the .obj files do not have any additional letters (like *out.obj) amended to the end of the file name, as noesis normally does.

I also had to run the script like ".\mech-importer.ps1 commando" (note the .\) to make it work.

This is the resume of the problems I faced at the beginning ^_^

I don't know anything at all about scripting. i just typed this in
$env:path = $env:path + ";c:\scripts"

#814 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

this is what happens

Posted Image

The only part of the script i changed was the basedir and png. This is what it says.

# Input: the directory to all the .obj files put in.

$basedir = "v:\mechs" # this is where you extracted all the *.pak files from the game. \objects, \textures etc
# will be under this dir
$imageformat = ".png" # Default image file format. If you want to use .pngs, change this

I have no clue what is going wrong. The videos explain nothing whatsoever about powershell and the guy types and talks so fast that i've had to pause and rewatch everything over and over and over again and it's still not working. The script is doing nothing.

#815 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

I don't know anything at all about scripting. i just typed this in
$env:path = $env:path + ";c:\scripts"

I think that will only affect your current session; next time you'll have to run that again. What OS are you running?

#816 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

this is what happens

Posted Image

The only part of the script i changed was the basedir and png. This is what it says.

# Input: the directory to all the .obj files put in.

$basedir = "v:\mechs" # this is where you extracted all the *.pak files from the game. \objects, \textures etc
# will be under this dir
$imageformat = ".png" # Default image file format. If you want to use .pngs, change this

I have no clue what is going wrong. The videos explain nothing whatsoever about powershell and the guy types and talks so fast that i've had to pause and rewatch everything over and over and over again and it's still not working. The script is doing nothing.

Yah, sorry. The videos do assume a bit of powershell and Blender knowledge, so it may be a bit confusing at times. From the screenshot output though, it looks like it ran successfully. It should make an import.txt file in that directory. Is that there?

You did convert all the .cgf files to .obj with Noesis first, right? And you may as well set the default image file to .dds, since Blender can now handle those natively. Then you don't have to convert all the .dds files to .png or .jpg.

#817 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostHeffay, on 17 March 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think that will only affect your current session; next time you'll have to run that again. What OS are you running?

7. I just found out that the script I am using is for video 3. I was on video 2. import.txt worked and i pasted it into python. this is the locust it loaded. is this normal?

Posted Image

#818 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

7. I just found out that the script I am using is for video 3. I was on video 2. import.txt worked and i pasted it into python. this is the locust it loaded. is this normal?

Posted Image

Looks like a locust after about 3 minutes of battle, yes. ^_^

Each time you import something, be sure to start off with a clean (new) Blender session. Otherwise you get errors where it loads up a component with a .001 substring, and the rotations/translations don't work right.

#819 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think what happened is i ran the command several times before successfully importing text. there were like 20 of each weapon. i ran del import.txt and am rerunning it

#820 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 March 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

I think what happened is i ran the command several times before successfully importing text. there were like 20 of each weapon. i ran del import.txt and am rerunning it

Yup, that happens too. You're really close though!

This is where you're allowed to say "What a completely buggy piece of shit!" ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users