Battlemech 19: Orion

685 replies to this topic

#521 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Think they said something to the order that it didn't bring anything different to the table.

Don't agree with that myself, it's a classic, OG mech, so lots of people want it for that. It's pretty balanced in most variants AFAIK, ballistic, energy and missile available on all. It's kind of like a smaller Atlas in a lot of ways.

But these are the people that decided the Kintaro was a good choice and "brought something to the table."

I'll buy at least one Orion, the Kintaro...not on my bucket list. I really do think the people making this game have lost their enjoyment with the game and it's background and are sort of flailing around trying to outthink what should be obvious.

But then, I'm not making the game, so maybe they know better.

#522 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Bryan Ekman, on 05 June 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Completely untrue. lol. We wanted to more variety to the mech meta game, so we changed it up a bit. The order in which mechs are announced will not always be the order in which they are released.

and

Alex Iglesias, on 05 June 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

The orion wasn't intentionally pushed back, it hasn't been replaced

i just made the orthos for the quickdraw before the orthos for the orion, really thats it

Taken from a (much) earlier post in this very thread, Essentially the quickdraw as done first so it got pushed ahead of the Orion which would have pushed the orion to the back of the schedule release line (IE it would have taken a full four months to release it) but because lights keep getting skipped over august was a medium month instead of a light, which if they remain as stubborn as they have in the past september will probably be another heavy month so this may be the orions time to shine soon.

(Unless they are going to treat the Project Phoenix mechs as part of the cycle, in which case september could be a wildcard month with october rolling back into the schedule with lights in the form of the Locust.)

#523 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Do any Orions come stock with a command console? I'm beginning to wonder that maybe the useless CC is the reason the Orion keeps getting pushed back. Granted we have the DDC for sale with a useless 1 crit 3 ton item, however, perhaps PGI is reluctant to release a brand new mech with a CC until they make it do anything.

#524 MadTulip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

will this be released in june 2013 ? :)

#525 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Postverybad, on 15 August 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Think they said something to the order that it didn't bring anything different to the table.

Don't agree with that myself, it's a classic, OG mech, so lots of people want it for that. It's pretty balanced in most variants AFAIK, ballistic, energy and missile available on all. It's kind of like a smaller Atlas in a lot of ways.

But these are the people that decided the Kintaro was a good choice and "brought something to the table."

I'll buy at least one Orion, the Kintaro...not on my bucket list. I really do think the people making this game have lost their enjoyment with the game and it's background and are sort of flailing around trying to outthink what should be obvious.

I think its more likely that it's the first mech that could mount 2 erpps in each arm and a gauss on top of it.
no way PGI could let loose a 55 point alpha. or 110 points to your CT in 4 seconds and not shut down....

#526 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostMadTulip, on 15 August 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

will this be released in june 2013 ? :)

no... OBE...

#527 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

where's my BIG O! :), Hero mech Orion Big O! called it!

Edited by SgtMagor, 15 August 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#528 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

I see, thanks for the info.

Can't agree with them about the "not bringing anything new to the table" bit. For a lot of us it's not just about getting new and different things, a lot of us just plain want this old mech We grew up reading about / looking at / playing with. I used it a lot in MW3, would be real nice to be back behind the controls of it again.

Also, it'd be our first 75 ton chassis, that's something. It also has a very flexible, evenly distributed hardpoint loadout. With energy in the arms, missiles in the LT, and ballistic in the RT, with a standard engine this thing could be a real damage soaker. With an XL engine, it'll be an absolute beast of a weapons platform.

At only 75 tons.

Regardless, I'll be buying and mastering it as soon as it comes out.

#529 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

It's just been listed as "Unseen"!

#530 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'd rather have a Zeus, but then again, I'm obviously biased.

#531 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 15 August 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I'd rather have a Zeus, but then again, I'm obviously biased.

I'd rather have an Orion, Zeus, Cyclops, Thug.....ok, I am just listing the popular mechs in the old games and CCG and novels that aren't Unseen.

View PostWerewolf486, on 15 August 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

It's just been listed as "Unseen"!

It was listed as "Unseen" starting December 19, 2012. I guess the devs put this mech out knowing that the Mayans might be right about December 21, 2012 being the end of the world.

#532 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

View Postverybad, on 15 August 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Aye the excuse of "it's not diffferent enough" was obscenely pathetic and so obviously a lie as to be almost revolting. Then again that's PGI-as-usual. Considering that the Quickdraw and Kintaro only end up being short ranged flavors of the Catapult and Trebuchet....

Well. It was obvious a year ago PGI fights unarmed in the arena of wits, this is just another example of such.

Add on to that Alex telling us that PGI never intended to release the Orion in June, that it was always a straight-out lie... people shouldn't trust PGI's "Big Three", I don't think it can be made any clearer. They lie, period, so take anything those three say with a barrel of salt.

#533 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostGaslight, on 30 July 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

No, the Orion in MechWarrior Tactics looks pretty different.

Posted Image

One of the better MWT designs in my opinion. Not overly chunky and toyetic like a lot of their 'mechs seem to be. And the pseudo-skull cockpit is an interesting choice, sort of reinforcing the idea of the Orion as the mini-Atlas. Although that artwork appears to be flipped, the missiles are supposed to be on the 'mech's left and the ballistic weapon on the right...

lol that sucks like the concept....needs to be scrapped and rebuilt as a pc game at company level..makes angry birds seem like kriegspiel compared to

#534 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostNgamok, on 15 August 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

I'd rather have an Orion, Zeus, Cyclops, Thug.....ok, I am just listing the popular mechs in the old games and CCG and novels that aren't Unseen.

It was listed as "Unseen" starting December 19, 2012. I guess the devs put this mech out knowing that the Mayans might be right about December 21, 2012 being the end of the world.

Orion Zeus and Cyclops I'd like.. keep your thug :)

but where is the ORION..August my ..hat..

#535 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 15 August 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I think its more likely that it's the first mech that could mount 2 erpps in each arm and a gauss on top of it.
no way PGI could let loose a 55 point alpha. or 110 points to your CT in 4 seconds and not shut down....

LOL! I don't think so, that would be over half its weight alone in weapons not counting ammo and the DHS it would need. Plus it would have to have the crits to hold it all plus and engine and armor which it will not. And you do know an Atlas RS can already do that build right?

Edited by CutterWolf, 16 August 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#536 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 15 August 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Allready atlai running that set up though the sensible ones are swapping out 2 erpps for LL

View PostKai Lae, on 05 August 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Can anyone identify the 2nd mech on the cover of the FWL manual? Just curious.

Don't know but it looks constipated and is straining to get relief

#537 Maalus Rahje

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Bring on the Orion (Preferably before 2014)!

#538 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostCarnifexMaximus, on 15 August 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Do any Orions come stock with a command console? I'm beginning to wonder that maybe the useless CC is the reason the Orion keeps getting pushed back. Granted we have the DDC for sale with a useless 1 crit 3 ton item, however, perhaps PGI is reluctant to release a brand new mech with a CC until they make it do anything.

I made a few previous posts in this thread that should help... :P

View PostStrum Wealh, on 12 April 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

So, back to potential variants... :D

ON1-K - "standard variant", available since 2456
x2 Medium Lasers (LA, RA)
x1 LRM-15 (LT)
x1 SRM-4 (LT)
x1 AC/10 (RT)

ON1-V - available since 2799
x1 LRM-15 (LT)
x2 SRM-4 (LA, RA)
x1 AC/10 (RT)

ON1-V-A - available since 2901
x2 SRM-4 (LA, RA)
x1 AC/10 (RT)

ON1-V-DC - available since 2913
x1 LRM-15 (LT)
x2 SRM-4 (LA, RA)
x1 AC/10 (RT)
x1 Command Console

ON1-M - available since 3049
x1 LRM-20 (LA)
x1 SRM-4 (LT)
x1 Narc Beacon Launcher (CT)
x1 LB 10-X AC (RT)
x2 CASE (LT, RT)

Personally, I'm hoping that we get the ON1-K, ON1-V-DC, and ON1-M.
Optionally, the ON1-V could also be included.
The ON1-V-A could be created from the ON1-V in the MechLab by removing the LRM launcher and adding armor.

Potential Hero characters include:
  • MechWarrior Sylvan Greenspan (Wolf's Dragoons; 'Mech named "Phoenix")
  • Colonel Tomaso Kinchurhara (1st Regulan Hussars)
  • MechWarrior Yvonne Morticia (Team Banzai; 'Mech named "Lurch")
  • Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline ("Pirate Queen of the Tortunga Dominion" and "Dame Murderess Extraordinaire")
  • Theodore Kurita (heir to the Coordinator of the Draconis Combine; started his career in a restored Orion named "Revenant")
  • Alexandr Kerensky (last commanding-general of the original SLDF; used a special variant)
Thoughts?

View PostStrum Wealh, on 12 May 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Also, it should be noted that each Orion variant except the OM1-M starts with a STD 300 Engine; the ON1-M starts with a 300 XL Engine.
With the 1.2x Engine Rating Cap for Heavy 'Mechs, the all of the Orion variants would be limited to a maximum engine rating of 360 and a base top speed (that is, without modules, quirks, and efficiencies) of 76.32 kph.

Thoughts?

View PostStrum Wealh, on 13 June 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

I listed the variants and their starting armaments (and, thus, their minimum required hardpoint distribution) in this post. :ph34r:

The ON1-K is the "common"/"default" variant and the ON1-M is the "recovered LosTech" variant, so I would feel fairly confident in stating that we would be getting those two.

I would hope that we would get the ON1-V-DC; it gives us another 'Mech that starts with a Command Console (which, IMO, should be hard-pointed, like AMS and ECM) and provides the "command 'Mech" that the Orion is known for being.
The ON1-V and ON1-V-A could be added if additional variants are needed, but either setup could be easily created from the ON1-V-DC's minimum required hardpoints.

In summary, I would predict that the Orion variants that we would get would be the ON1-K, ON1-V-DC, and ON1-M.

Thoughts?

#539 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Today it is 8 months since that first post. So, when are we getting this mech?

#540 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

guess a lot of peeps have been waiting for the Big O to show up. who wouldn't want a 75ton Atlas.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users