• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostZolaz, on 23 August 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

The Orion got lost I guess ...

It's a PR stunt for Damage control.

Orion it's gonna be released in September as PGI attonement and to calm the 3PV hater masses.

You hear there 1st lads!! Now if ppl wish to belive the stories about ghost mechs half marauder half catapult...

#543 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostLord Perversor, on 23 August 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

You hear there 1st lads!! Now if ppl wish to belive the stories about ghost mechs half marauder half catapult...

I know what it is! I've seen it!

A bunch of pirates are running 45 ton scraps assembled with old starleague junk causing chaos in the outer territories or something er another; to my understanding my cousin is on patrol; got deployed to a local satellite rock I'm told was a hub for local mining operations and regional communications. Been a few weeks so I forgot the details.

Happened to be chatting with him on the 'glass when there was a sudden engagement; with all the infantry-running I saw his 'com fall into the dirt and a brief image of a big thundering lackluster grey primed claw slam to the ground; that's about when the communications blacked out.

No biggy; couple more weeks and I should be hearing back from him. Not sure why pirates would have the nerve to engage with a major patrol company. A suicide wish? Desperate for resources I suppose.

Edited by Scarcer, 23 August 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#544 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostScarcer, on 23 August 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

I know what it is! I've seen it!

A bunch of pirates are running 45 ton scraps assembled with old starleague junk causing chaos in the outer territories or something er another; to my understanding my cousin is on patrol; got deployed to a local satellite rock I'm told was a hub for local mining operations and regional communications. Been a few weeks so I forgot the details.

Happened to be chatting with him on the 'glass when there was a sudden engagement; with all the infantry-running I saw his 'com fall into the dirt and a brief image of a big thundering lackluster grey primed claw slam to the ground; that's about when the communications blacked out.

No biggy; couple more weeks and I should be hearing back from him. Not sure why pirates would have the nerve to engage with a major patrol company. A suicide wish? Desperate for resources I suppose.

Didnt MW4 teach you anything? All pirates, bandits and rebels have a steady supply of Shadow Cats and Mad Dogs.

#545 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

yeah..plus four random guys and girls can liberate a planet all while being outnumbered about 1:1000...

btw:
are we sure the orion will drop in september....maybe pgi will swap it again against something else...if so, i hope its name starts with an u and it's shaped like a trashcan :D

#546 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

I've probably said this before, but I just can't wait to see what they do with the arm weapon geometries. For launch, they'll be trying their best to win us over, so I'd bet on the Orion, or something equally iconic to BattleTech.

#547 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

I hope the Orion doesn't get the Kintaro treatment, with a lethal hitbox so massive it bypasses the survivability of having multiple hit zones. On the surface, it looks like it shouldn't- six hardpoints per variant, spread across all three weapon families, so they shouldn't panic and make it easy to drop to avoid a stalker-esque situation. However, they've been saying foreboding things about it since annoucement- "oh noo, it would be bad for the meta right now" - that makes me think they'll make it clumsy and poorly protected (and a bad series of hitboxes is bad protection) simply to try to encourage the use of lighter 'mechs.

But if it's worthwhile to field, it'll make a nice partner to my Cata-2x as one of the few, rare generalist 'mechs that in this game are almost never seen below the Assault weight class.

#548 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Russ needs something to give the community on next patch to bring back players, so he's holding the Orion till then, oh and he needs to switch the Meta to favor that mech before he brings it in so he can sell more of them for MC, then after you buy it for MC he'll switch the meta again and your Orion won't be as special.

#549 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostLord Perversor, on 23 August 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

It's a PR stunt for Damage control.

Orion it's gonna be released in September as PGI attonement and to calm the 3PV hater masses.

I keep hearing about this marauder/catapult Frankenstein. I'm telling you right now it can't possibly exist. The weight of trying to do such a thing would be too much for even for LosTech engines to operate effectively.

On topic: i think we'll see the Orion in Sept, but I recall reading somewhere that PGI has two more Mediums planed as well. (either one works for me.)

#550 Pacifist

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostNARCoMAN, on 19 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Too bad it won't be out for 7 months at the current rate

It's depressing that this sarcastic estimate was actually low.

#551 Ceesa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBoston, USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostRegulus1990, on 24 August 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

I keep hearing about this marauder/catapult Frankenstein. I'm telling you right now it can't possibly exist. The weight of trying to do such a thing would be too much for even for LosTech engines to operate effectively.

You know they're talking about the madcat/timberwolf, right? The mech on the cover of the MW2 box? I want that one even more than I want the orion, but there's no way we'll get clans in this game before launch, so guess I'll have to wait.

#552 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostWNxFireDrake, on 24 August 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

You know they're talking about the madcat/timberwolf, right? The mech on the cover of the MW2 box? I want that one even more than I want the orion, but there's no way we'll get clans in this game before launch, so guess I'll have to wait.

really?
what's next Comstar owns an army that can conquer a ruling house!!
Or that Frederick Steiner it's alive!!

#553 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yea I know. Just having some fun.

#554 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

They are a year off. Easily.

Just from the trouble they are having balancing Star League stuff.

This thing is gonna roll with Dual PPC's, Streaks and AC20's. It will make every other heavy obsolete, sorry 'Phract.

The hit boxes will be more vulnerable of course. You know, for balance.

#555 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostSkunk Wolf, on 25 August 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

They are a year off. Easily.

Just from the trouble they are having balancing Star League stuff.

This thing is gonna roll with Dual PPC's, Streaks and AC20's. It will make every other heavy obsolete, sorry 'Phract.

The hit boxes will be more vulnerable of course. You know, for balance.

I disagree: those giant box ears will be a death's sentence. The mandatory XL engine with those MASSIVE torso targets...no more Timber Wolf. Give me a Kodiak any day!

#556 Dreadp1r4te

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Well, akshually... a 'Mech equipped with a clan XL engine won't get popped if it loses a side torso; it just starts generating extra heat. This would be a serious drawback for Clans and serve to balance their firepower against vulnerability, especially with how [s]useless[/s] harsh the heat system in MWO is.

In addition, alot of Omnimechs traditionally had locked engine sizes, a fact that was often ignored in previous MW titles. This also goes for armor and heatsinks,

[quote name='"Sarna"]OmniMechs are not fully modular. An OmniMech's structural components: its engine' date=' internal structure, armor and any equipment installed on the base chassis of OmniMech are "hard-wired" and cannot be modified outside of a total redesign of the 'Mech.[/quote']

That sounds like a very nice balancing feature.

Edited by Dreadp1r4te, 25 August 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#557 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Post101011, on 25 August 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

I disagree: those giant box ears will be a death's sentence. The mandatory XL engine with those MASSIVE torso targets...no more Timber Wolf. Give me a Kodiak any day!

View PostDreadp1r4te, on 25 August 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Well, akshually... a 'Mech equipped with a clan XL engine won't get popped if it loses a side torso; it just starts generating extra heat. This would be a serious drawback for Clans and serve to balance their firepower against vulnerability, especially with how useless harsh the heat system in MWO is.

In addition, alot of Omnimechs traditionally had locked engine sizes, a fact that was often ignored in previous MW titles. This also goes for armor and heatsinks,

That sounds like a very nice balancing feature.

And then there is all that glass, front-and-center. ;)
I expect the Mad Cat would have a large, Catapult-style canopy. :lol:

#558 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostTheMadTypist, on 24 August 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I hope the Orion doesn't get the Kintaro treatment, with a lethal hitbox so massive it bypasses the survivability of having multiple hit zones. On the surface, it looks like it shouldn't- six hardpoints per variant, spread across all three weapon families, so they shouldn't panic and make it easy to drop to avoid a stalker-esque situation. However, they've been saying foreboding things about it since annoucement- "oh noo, it would be bad for the meta right now" - that makes me think they'll make it clumsy and poorly protected (and a bad series of hitboxes is bad protection) simply to try to encourage the use of lighter 'mechs.

But if it's worthwhile to field, it'll make a nice partner to my Cata-2x as one of the few, rare generalist 'mechs that in this game are almost never seen below the Assault weight class.

It will be interesting to see how the hitboxes are divided across the geometry presented:
Posted Image

For the ON1-K, the LRM and SRM launchers are housed in the Left Torso and the AC/10 is housed in the Right Torso.

With the above illustration, it seems like the two missile launchers would probably make up most (if not all) of the LT hitbox while the AC and the area above it up to the shoulder (where the 15th Marik Militia emblem is plastered) would probably make up most (if not all) of the RT hitbox... which would mean that the CT would probably make most (if not all) of the boxy section between the missile launchers and the autocannon. ;) :lol:

Thoughts?

#559 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 25 August 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

It will be interesting to see how the hitboxes are divided across the geometry presented:

Thoughts?

Ctorso looks like it will have the Kintaro problem, not really worried about that. it's the cockpit, huge like a Catapult maybe even bigger, head shots looks like the #1 concern!

#560 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Orion is likely coming next month, as we got a medium last month, and an Assault the month before (And they skipped lights due to the Flee having MASC issues), and the Locust drops in October. We'll likely get a hero mech the first week (9/3), MC orions in the next week (9/10), then CBill Orions mid-september.(9/17).

I'm mostly surprised we didn't have any tourny/event this month.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users