• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 02 September 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

Or Else?

Or else he will eat 20 pounds of bacon in under 15 minute!!!! HE MEAN'S IT!!!!!!!!!

#582 Lucity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 108 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 02 September 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

Or Else?

ill cry.

#583 Ninjivitis

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

In the words of Cheech, "If that b%&*# doesn't hurry up and get here, I'll have to wait some more."

Edited by Ninjivitis, 02 September 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#584 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 02 September 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Or else he will eat 20 pounds of bacon in under 15 minute!!!! HE MEAN'S IT!!!!!!!!!

Hah! I'd gladly do that willingly LOL

#585 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 02 September 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

The center torso hitbox would need to be confined to the forward facing CT plates because it projects so far forward. If the side plates of the CT were also the CT hitbox every shot fired from any angle but the rear would core the CT. Even worse than the Awesome hitboxes. They could fix that by making the side torsos and arms wider from frone to back also so they cover the CT from the sides. Hopefully this was why the Orion was delayed.

Or we get the Dragon 2.0.

#586 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Or they could change it, cause you know, "concept art". But they are better off not saying anything with the amount of douchebaggery that goes on on these forums.

#587 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

There better be a hero Orion today!

#588 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

Is the mech actually going to be good?

Low mounted impractical weapons like on Cataphract, no Jumpjets to deal with that, CT that looks like lose-lose situation depending on the way they model it (either CT or side torsos will be too big)...

edit: Hmm, the speed will be similar to Cataphracts (300 engine as a start instead of 280 while 5t heavier)...it's going to be like -1X and -2X Phracts. I guess it will be decent...

Edited by Kitane, 03 September 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#589 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I want it all, and I want it now, YEAHHHAA!!!

Edited by Skye Storm, 03 September 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#590 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostReggimus, on 02 September 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Or they could change it, cause you know, "concept art". But they are better off not saying anything with the amount of douchebaggery that goes on on these forums.

Yea, I suspect with the whole 3PV he said she said thing, stuff if going to be tight lipped.

View PostKitane, on 03 September 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

Low mounted impractical weapons like on Cataphract, no Jumpjets to deal with that, CT that looks like lose-lose situation depending on the way they model it (either CT or side torsos will be too big)...

edit: Hmm, the speed will be similar to Cataphracts (300 engine as a start instead of 280 while 5t heavier)...it's going to be like -1X and -2X Phracts. I guess it will be decent...

Just depends on actual hard points TBH. The Orion is like the Mad Cat / Timber Wolf, 75 tons is the sweet spot for armor, speed, weapons.

#591 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

View PostNgamok, on 03 September 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

Just depends on actual hard points TBH. The Orion is like the Mad Cat / Timber Wolf, 75 tons is the sweet spot for armor, speed, weapons.

With heavier, weaker IS technology, the Orion is no Madcat however. I'm a bit skeptical that it won't effectively be as flatfooted as an assault mech, only with less weapons and armor.

Look at the Phract at only 5 tons less. It's not a bad mech, but it is very easy to kill precisely because its combination of speed/armor/dimensions make it ridiculously easy to burn down. The phract isn't a bad mech by any means, but because of its deficiencies it's mostly been relegated to direct fire support whereas I know many pilots might want to attempt to brawl with it.

The Orion will be even slower than the Phract, but perhaps its dimensions, loadout, and slightly heavier armor will allow it to stand up and fight rather than also being relegated to combat only from the safety of the shadows.

Edited by Huntsman, 03 September 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#592 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

I think his point was that 75tons is an excellent weight class. Which it is.

The comparison to the rainbow warrior Madcow wasn't needed to illustrate it so I agree that was a bad comparo to show the point. One should never use a clan mech to prove a point. Use a comparable IS mech. Everything just gets easy mode with clan tech.

Marauder might have been a better comparo to show the value of the 75ton slot.

Edited by Hillslam, 03 September 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#593 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostHuntsman, on 03 September 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

With heavier, weaker IS technology, the Orion is no Madcat however. I'm a bit skeptical that it won't effectively be as flatfooted as an assault mech, only with less weapons and armor.

Look at the Phract at only 5 tons less. It's not a bad mech, but it is very easy to kill precisely because its combination of speed/armor/dimensions make it ridiculously easy to burn down. The phract isn't a bad mech by any means, but because of its deficiencies it's mostly been relegated to direct fire support whereas I know many pilots might want to attempt to brawl with it.

The Orion will be even slower than the Phract, but perhaps its dimensions, loadout, and slightly heavier armor will allow it to stand up and fight rather than also being relegated to fighting from the safety of the shadows.

Silence even the clans know the might of the Orion http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orion_IIC. Hell clans would even rebuild IS Orions because the great father was a Orion pilot http://www.sarna.net...ksandr_Kerensky.

Edited by SirSmokes, 03 September 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#594 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostKitane, on 03 September 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

Hmm, Cataphracts actually have high (very high?) mounted side torso hardpoints, that's why the 3D is king of snipers. Arms are low, yes, but you don't snipe with all your upper torso exposed. CTF is also okayish for brawling, with STD, with good torso twist, since the arms are pretty good shields. But not very sturdy overall, for brawling, I agree.

Orion: same as Atlas, really, dirt-shooting arms, waist-shooting AC20, and meh SRMs in the LT ... a bit faster, but much less armor. Maybe weight limits will turn it into a viable STD engine brawler, IF the hitboxes/scaling was right [which of course I doubt].

#595 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostNinjivitis, on 02 September 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Please let it come out today! :)

If I get my Flea you can have your fat Orion :)

#596 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

View Poststjobe, on 03 September 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

If I get my Flea you can have your fat Orion :)

No flea for you!

#597 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 03 September 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Silence even the clans know the might of the Orion http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orion_IIC. Hell clans would even rebuild IS Orions because the great father was a Orion pilot http://www.sarna.net...ksandr_Kerensky.

Though, it should be noted that Kerensky had his own special Orion variant (which was listed, with its record sheet, in Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade Unabridged, Inner Sphere; see here and here). It should be noted that the "ON1-K (Kerensky)" variant is equipped with a Snub-Nose PPC in its Left Torso (in place of the LRM launcher), which is actually LosTech; the SN-PPC was explicitly mentioned in the old Star League sourcebook (on page 61) as having been developed under the reign of Jonathan Cameron.

The fruits of First Lord Jonathan's military renaissance began to appear in Royal units of the SLDF almost immediately. Improved 'Mechs, Headhunter Missiles, Snub-nosed PPCs, and countless new vehicles appeared, utilizing breakthrough research in such areas as energy and myomer technology.

However, the Clans evidently did not retain the technology into the Invasion era, and the IS (specifically, the Draconis Combine) doesn't re-invent them until 3067.

The "ON1-K (Kerensky)" is also equipped with a Gauss Rifle in its Right Torso (with two tons of ammo in the Right Torso), an Artemis-enhanced SRM-4 launcher in the Left Torso (with one ton of ammo in the Right Torso), and a standard Medium Laser in each arm.
It also comes with CASE in the Right Torso, Ferro-Fibrous Armor, Standard Internal Structure, ten Double Heat Sinks, and a Standard 300 Engine.

To make a "3050 Kerensky Tribute" Orion Hero 'Mech work with MWO while still remaining generally true to the canonical layout, PGI could (for example) drop a ton of Gauss ammo (from two tons to one) to free up the tonnage & move one of the FF criticals out of the Left-Torso to free up the space, then replace the listed SN-PPC with a standard PPC.
It wouldn't be an exact duplicate of Kerensky's version of the 'Mech, but it would retain the core concepts and the vast majority of the key attributes while still being substantially different from the stock ON1-K (unlike the Kurita rebuild; they found Kerensky's original 'Mech essentially stripped to just the skeleton, and rebuilt it in 3015 as a stock ON1-K (which Theodore Kurita named "Revenant")).

Thoughts?

#598 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 03 September 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

There better be a hero Orion today!

But, The only hero orion on sarna is the kerensky....and....well....KERENSKY.....Blech

Has anyone else noticed that there has been little to no chatter about the contents of this patch?

#599 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Normally the patch would drop by now, they probably aren't releasing one today.

#600 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 02 September 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Well darn, you've just bummed me out. This thing it going to be a coring magnet from the sides.

That's why you point these things out before it gets released. The simple fix if the art= the actual model would be to assign the Center Torso to only front facing center plates since it's sides project so far forward they are rightly side torso elements.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users