• LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

well isnt that the plan max dps/range

#42 chymera

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Its a bit out of the current timeframe but the Hollander would seem to be right up the alley of sniper light mech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

Can always dream...

#43 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

I've been hoping to see what I could do with an AC/2 and all the Zoom Module I can shove onto a light mech with Jump capability. Get up somewhere high and far back and start plinking away at head armor. If we get any sort of knock-back from head-shots or AC fire, this could play havoc on an enemy's targeting; keeping them off balance while my lancemates rip into them.

#44 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Lasers are channeled over time damage...As a snipper it may be difficult to hold them in the same spot long enough to deliver their full damage (plus they leave a wonderful line leading directly back to the shooter). I'd go for Yosef's second suggestion if possible.

#45 Kale Cytair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

One thing you may want to look at is rather than the term "sniper," you may want to ask her to think of herself as a "marksman," which I use as two very different terms.

A "sniper" shoots from a concealed position, generally out of range of return fire, and only shoots once or twice.

A "marksman," on the other hand is a master of the precision shot, training with their chosen weapon until they are the master of said weapon in as many circumstances as they can think of.

I plan on treating MWO much like I do paintball: If your target is in range, so are you. Ergo, you must shoot much better than your target if you wish to win. One-shot kills will be relatively rare in this game, I think, so she must shift her thinking from the one-shot kill to the precision strike kill. She could act in a direct fire-support role, using gauss or PPC's plus her zoom capability (once unlocked) to see where the most damage has been done by her lance-mates and get extremely good at placing her high-damage weapon shots there.

#46 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

View Postundead1904, on 21 May 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

doing that i may want to strip all her armor (****) in order to add heatinks cuz the amount of heat will be outrageous
I dont know the total weight she would be able to put on the Catapult but if she were to say be able to fit maybe 2 medium laser or even a large and medium each in each shoulder as she will have 2 energy hard points in each shoulder... the lasers are the only Heat worry she will have but if she sets them to fire in a stagger formation (2 mediums) (2 mediums) OR (2 mediums) (2 larges) she should dissipate any heat build up with ease. As for the Gauss Rifles, they dont build up very much heat so she will be fine there too and she will not need to strip any armor. She could still add a few more heat sinks just to be safe and or if she ever has to fire ALL weapons at once. You dont ever want to strip a lot of armor or else if she takes one lucky shot, she will go down quick.

#47 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 21 May 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Devs stated earlier lasers have infinite range but reduced damage over range. PPCs with charge time was an invention by mech assault. Its pure nonsense! That is unless you using these ... http://www.sarna.net...i/PPC_Capacitor

Curiosity peaked, I somehow missed the dev statement regarding laser ranges (I am ashamed). Any chance for a link to that?

#48 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

you know your right on the Differnce between marksman and sniper and i actully think thats what shes been doing on battlefield lattly she ahs been running around using a riffle with an acog sight and a semi auto verion not one with the pull back reload

all and all im thinking 3 factors for her

SPEED
ZOOM
CANNON

#49 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

View Posttrycksh0t, on 21 May 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Curiosity peaked, I somehow missed the dev statement regarding laser ranges (I am ashamed). Any chance for a link to that?
I too have missed this and would like a link please

#50 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 21 May 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

I've been hoping to see what I could do with an AC/2 and all the Zoom Module I can shove onto a light mech with Jump capability. Get up somewhere high and far back and start plinking away at head armor. If we get any sort of knock-back from head-shots or AC fire, this could play havoc on an enemy's targeting; keeping them off balance while my lancemates rip into them.

I completly agree a longrange cannon shot should mostdefinetly knock your target back some

#51 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

View Postundead1904, on 21 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

you know your right on the Differnce between marksman and sniper and i actully think thats what shes been doing on battlefield lattly she ahs been running around using a riffle with an acog sight and a semi auto verion not one with the pull back reload

all and all im thinking 3 factors for her

SPEED
ZOOM
CANNON
well... zoom and cannon can be any mech and any weight class. SPEED is where shes going to need either at this point a fast light mech or a faster medium mech. The choices for fast heavy and assaults at this point are not there so unless we get something fast in these categories, Id suggest she not go any higher then the mediums and as for Speed in the medium catagory at this point, that would be the Cicada. Its not all that great on Armor but its the fastest mech in the game so far. and can mount heavier weapons than the lights. Just food for thought.

#52 MATEO FALCONE

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Any light mech that you can pack a couple of light gauss guns onto should be sufficient. Preferably ones you can load gauss onto the arms. :)

#53 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

No light gauss; Not available until 3056

#54 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Another thing to take into account is that lasers, being DoT, can be visually traced back to their point of origin. Ballistic weapons will be tougher to trace even with the visual cue on the HUD.

IF one can find a snipper (i love the word "snipper" too) position with elevation and cover one still must make sure they don't expose themselves. Lasers are the tracers of the BTU (until/if we get tracers on RACs). A/Cs with little to no "smoke" would work better.

Thinking most players will adopt shoot-n-scoot, run-n-gun tactics anyway.

#55 Forscythe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

It would be interesting to see if the Long Tom systems or Arrow IV make it into the game. Albeit I never saw too many people using them in the games that had them I wonder if they would be viable in this incarnation.

#56 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Looked thru the devs blogs and QnA. Could not find it but.. I believe the infinite range of lasers comment (by paul) is buried somewhere in the effective range discussion, where ballistics continue past effect range, or in the first gameplay preview from way back. Sorry guys.

#57 Sheilei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOn a mountain shelf in the middle of freakin' nowhere.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

I saw someone mention the AC2. It has the longest range of all the weapons that will be available at launch.
I plan on making a Cicada or maybe a Commando using one of those.
Point is to get in range and plink away at the slow mechs til the enemy decides that i'm annoying and then he tries to get me in range.
I run away and he knows he can't catch me since i can run twice as fast as him so he gives up.

As soon as he gives up i begin plinking again at the longest range possible whenever he is busy fighting an ally of mine.
I will target areas that have already been damaged in hopes of causing an ammo explosion or engine hit.

Edited by Sheilei, 21 May 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#58 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Lasers being infinate kinda makes sence because they are just beams of light so lol ya

anyways if anyone is intersted to see where our project leads us go ahead and add me

#59 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Light can only propagate forever in a pure vacuum. firing it in an atmosphere causes the air to scatter it, until it's lost so much cohesion it's only a little bit of harmless illumination. Shine a laser pointer at a wall, then shine it across the street.

#60 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

View Postundead1904, on 21 May 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Lasers being infinate kinda makes sence because they are just beams of light so lol ya

anyways if anyone is intersted to see where our project leads us go ahead and add me

when game goes beta visit this thread again and tell us :)

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users