160 replies to this topic

#61 JEB8753

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

favorite IS mech is the bezerker its fast it has an axe and oh yeah it BREATHES FIRE

#62 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Anyone else willing to contribute? I'd hate to see this topic die after 4 pages...

#63 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Canopian AS7-D-DC with Command "Casting Couch" module.

#64 Darkaiser

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm old-school so most of my faves are as well.

The Warhammer. It looks badass, carries a world of hurt and was long a favorite of mine.

The lowly Jenner was another one. Give me 4 Medium Lasers and LOTS of speed and turn me loose.

Although the design had issues the Rifleman always looked cool to me.

All-time best was the Griffin. LRM and PPC combo, jump, fast for 55 tons. Led my scout lance many a time.

#65 Chas

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

What? No love for the venerable old UrbanMech?

Yeah yeah. On an open battlefield, they're basically just kill counts to scratch into your cockpit.

But, in a city environment, those little suckers are lethal! And I can field how many for the same price as your big bad Atlas?

#66 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostChas, on 12 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

Yeah yeah. On an open battlefield, they're basically just kill counts to scratch into your cockpit.

But, in a city environment, those little suckers are lethal! And I can field how many for the same price as your big bad Atlas?

They work surprisingly well in wooded terrain as well. Any place with restricted LOS and suddenly that little garbage can's firepower to tonnage (or BV) ratio becomes sweet.

#67 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I've never used the urban mech, but I loved using my Rabid Coyote. Me and a buddy were playing double-blind rules, so that we could only see each other's mechs when we literally were line of sight. It involved lots of note taking of personal position. We also allowed each of us to store one 'deactivated' mech, powered down somewhere on the map. If it was stumbled over, the mech would go active and attack. If it wasn't found, but the person using it had a good line of sight to sneak-attack, they were free to activate the mech as long as they declared it.

I was hiding the RC in some deep woods, and my friend walks by with a BAP equipped mech. He was ONE hex away from noticing me. Luckily he passed me by, being lured on by my visible mech. Two turns later, he was in perfect position, and I activated that hidden mech, stepped out, and unloaded my ATM and lasers directly into his heaviest mech's backside, burning it from the inside out.

#68 Deus Rex

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Good old Urbie; nice ride in a city; hide for a while then jump on top a building (most could support it due to it's low weight) and blast away with that big AC. With a good gunner you could do wonders with an Urbie.

View PostChas, on 12 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

#69 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Well.... my fav mech of all time is the Berserker

But I always liked fielding the Stone Rhino when I could
and quad-mechs like the Thunder Stallion are always fun just for the sidelong looks from the opponent

#70 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostRagingOyster, on 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Well.... my fav mech of all time is the Berserker

But I always liked fielding the Stone Rhino when I could
and quad-mechs like the Thunder Stallion are always fun just for the sidelong looks from the opponent

I remember the first time me and my friend tried out the TRO 3055. I chose a Berzerker, and he chose... something. By the end of the match, my Berzerker was missing a leg, the left arm GONE (so no ERPPC) ...but I was still standing. Even managed to twitch my way up to one of his mechs and cleave it with the hatchet before I died. LoL... Good times...

#71 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

One of my secret favorites...
Posted Image
The Hollander is one of those 'Mechs you dont want to admit you like because it's such a piece of crap but it's the first light 'Mech in Battletech that mounts a freakin gauss rifle. :rolleyes: I've ended games before they started with this rediculous thing. :ph34r:

[Edit: Fixed dead image link.]

Edited by Sennin, 24 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#72 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostSennin, on 16 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Posted Image
The Hollander is one of those 'Mechs you dont want to admit you like because it's such a piece of crap but it's the first light 'Mech in Battletech that mounts a freakin gauss rifle. :rolleyes: I've ended games before they started with this rediculous thing. :ph34r:

LoL... More like the Gauss Rifle mounts the mech. I remember laughing when I read about that mech. They practically said that they took the biggest gun, literally, that their factories could construct, and then built a mech around it as a support structure. It's like turning a dropship turret into a mech.

Still, I give credit to anyone who uses a Hollander. It's going to be a nightmare in MWO if they decide to bring that little guy in. Fast sniper support. Yeesh.

#73 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostSennin, on 16 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Posted Image
The Hollander is one of those 'Mechs you dont want to admit you like because it's such a piece of crap but it's the first light 'Mech in Battletech that mounts a freakin gauss rifle. :lol: I've ended games before they started with this rediculous thing. :D

Well, first light Inner Sphere mech with a gauss. TRO 3050's Uller/Kit Fox Configuration A packs one. 'Course, clan tech feels like half a step removed from cheating, but whatever.

#74 Xiao Youngblood

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

My all time favorite mech has always been the unseen Marauder, there is just something sexy in it's beering and the loadout was just deadly in TT way back when.

#75 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostKalebFenoir, on 16 January 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

LoL... More like the Gauss Rifle mounts the mech. I remember laughing when I read about that mech. They practically said that they took the biggest gun, literally, that their factories could construct, and then built a mech around it as a support structure. It's like turning a dropship turret into a mech.

Still, I give credit to anyone who uses a Hollander. It's going to be a nightmare in MWO if they decide to bring that little guy in. Fast sniper support. Yeesh.

Hollander is fun against assault mechs for the lolz of headshoting them before they can do anything good against you. Plus it's just fast enough to back up as fast as your average 3/5 assault mech moves forwards.

/begin sidetrack

You can run a raven 4x as a ghetto hollander. It's kind of squishy for my taste though.

/end sidetrack

#76 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 17 January 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

Hollander is fun against assault mechs for the lolz of headshoting them before they can do anything good against you. Plus it's just fast enough to back up as fast as your average 3/5 assault mech moves forwards.

/begin sidetrack

You can run a raven 4x as a ghetto hollander. It's kind of squishy for my taste though.

/end sidetrack

Maybe, but that still won't compare to that thrill of horror when you see a Spider-sized mech swing a gunbarrel the size of its own body in your direction, and fire. Or maybe seeing it rock back on those weird legs it has (the whole reason it has legs like that is to absorb the impact of the weapon firing).

....Now I kinda DO want to see it in-game.

#77 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostEscef, on 17 January 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

Well, first light Inner Sphere mech with a gauss. TRO 3050's Uller/Kit Fox Configuration A packs one. 'Course, clan tech feels like half a step removed from cheating, but whatever.

I stand corrected. I wasn't considering Clan tech when I made my post. However, as an Inner Sphere design, I feel this all the more reason to respect it. As you probably know, mounting an Inner Sphere Gauss Rifle requires three more tons of weight along with one more critical slot and the Hollander manages to do this without the use of an XL engine. It's a durable and cost effective design. Before the change from Battle Value 1.0 to 2.0 in the tabletop you could field up to 3 of these to 1 of many popular Inner Sphere Heavy or Assault 'Mechs. That's alot of Gauss pointed in one direction. :)

#78 Lanny Ansar

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

My guilty pleasure was always when I picked up the Fafnir in MW4. Dunno why I liked that thing so much: There was only one available in-game (Because it was a prototype in that timeframe), it's ungodly-slow and heavy, and it basically looks like an endtable.

But those Dual Heavy Gauss Rifles on the shoulders. Firing both barrels on that thing usually took limbs if both shots landed.

#79 Mims

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

In my sweetest dreams, i see vapor eagle lams.

though im not really a clan guy, and that mech doesn't have a lam variant. i can still dream right?

Edited by Mims, 19 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#80 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMims, on 19 January 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

In my sweetest dreams, i see vapor eagle lams.

though im not really a clan guy, and that mech doesn't have a lam variant. i can still dream right?

I'm sure you could figure out how to incorporate the LAM conversion stuff into it. I'd love to see more LAMs in the tabletop, now that I know that the conversion tech has 3 modes permanently (I was always under the impression that it only had two, and you had to choose which type you had: Mech-Airmech, Airmech-Fighter being your choices).

The Vapor Eagle's frame DOES seem to lend it a shape that could be reconfigured. That'd be something to see.

I'd love to see an Incubus LAM, just because it looks like it should be. LOL.

Edited by KalebFenoir, 19 January 2013 - 08:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users