#1 FreeFragUK

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hey everyone,

I am currently looking at buying a new mech.

I've been running a Raven in the scout role from the get
go to coincide with the people I play with most, however,
I'm getting the itch for a change in role. At this point in time
I'm hoping to find a mech which centres around Ballistic
weapons which can be used as a brawler.

As it stands I was looking towards either one of the Hunchbacks
or possibly a Centurion. I briefly tried the Dragon 5N, however,
I didn't really enjoy this so promptly sold it after around 10 matches
or so. I suspect this was a mistake on my part in the form of a knee
jerk reaction as it's default load out seems pretty appauling and
I perhaps should have looked at tweaking this as opposed to
just binning it outright.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
FreeFrag.UK

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

1*) If you want more than 1 ballistic youll need a 65+ ton platform because anything lighter is gimmicky when going for multiple ACs or Gauss Cannons.

I would go with the CTF-3D or a CPLT-K2. The CTF-4X seems like the obvious choice but its so terribly slow :)

2*) If you are ok with just 1 ballistic weapon and a more diverse loadout buy a CN9-A, DRG-1C or CTF-2X. These are all very good mechs.

*If you are willed to buy a hero mech youll get the best variants for both options imho: 1) Ilya 2) Flame

Edited by Budor, 29 December 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#3 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

If you want something almost entirely ballistic based, I'd go with either the Cataphract-4X or the Catapult-K2. The Ilya Muromets would also be great, but you'd have to shell out real money for that.

The CTF-4X is a little limited in the speed department since its max speed is 65 kph, no exceptions, but the amount of smaller cannons it can bring is staggering.

The Ilya Muromets is more well rounded than the 4X, and can carry much larger engines. While it can't carry as many ballistics, I'd say it more than makes up for it with the fact that it can carry an AC/20 or 3 UAC-5s.

The CPLT-K2 doesn't have as many ballistic hardpoints as either Cataphract, but it's the only mech in the game that can carry 2 AC/20s (there's a cicada that has the hardpoints for it, but it's too light).

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

If you want a speedy mech, the Flame tops out at 97.1 kph with an XL360. It is really hard to hit something moving that fast. Weaving in and out of larger, slower mechs going at it brings a tear to the eye. It has one ballistic hardpoint too.

#5 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Agree, Cataphract or perhaps a K2 'pult. Those are the obvious choices.

The Flame is a personal favorite of mine too, but it's very expensive and only has one Ballistic hardpoint. It's more of a Striker than a Brawler, too.

#6 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

buy a Fang, i bloody love it as a close range brawler :D
plus it has 2x ballistic XD

#7 Loqgar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I recommend a Catafract, It has good armor, reasonable speed, is friendly to standard engines, and at 70 tons it can mount a good combination of weapons while maintaining the ammo and heat efficiency to use it. Pick you favorite flavor. In my opinion the Catafract has the best variants of any chassis in MWO, I own one of each, except the Mouromets.

#8 Sir Iron Duke

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Men, i must recommend the Atlas-D... it´s very diferent from a Raven, but sure wins against Cathapracts armed with the slow AC-5/AC-10 combination. The Atlas-D Has more armor and with two Ultra AC-5, i had ruled Stalkers, Cathapracts, everything...except for the little ravens or scout mechs.

#9 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

If you dont mid spending the cash, I recommend the ilya muromets, you can refit it with dual ac10's or triple uac5's and both of those are DEVESTATING.

If you dont want to spend real life mooney, you can grab the 3d, it has jumpjets and you can kit it out with a standard 300 engine, and an ac20, for some very sneaky shots; and you will still have the room for 4 medium lasers as auxiliary weapons. Its fast, Heavily armored and the AC20 packs an INCREDIBLE Wallop. Whats more everyone expects you to be bringing an XL engine, and for your big guns to be in the arms. which usually means they shoot at the wrong places, a serious advantage for a brawler.

Dragons would be the other big option, I know I liked the look of Fang, but ultimately I eat way too many of them for breakfast, they are faster, but they don't seem very tough.

Edited by Gandalfrockman, 30 December 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#10 FreeFragUK

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

I may be barking up the wrong tree judging by these responses hoping for
a brawler around the size of a medium. I was contemplating a Hunch HK-4G
but it sounds as though I should really be looking at the heavy class.

Thank you for your replies.

I suspect I am more in the market for a Striker as perhaps that would
fit the medium bill better and be more what I'm looking for. Any input
would be greatly appreciated and thank you again for the replies
so far, definitely food for thought.

Regards,
FreeFrag.UK

#11 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

You can definitely Brawl in the medium class, but it isn't going to be a Ballistic Brawler. Its more likely to be an energy based build.

#12 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Ballistics are just too heavy for a medium to carry a lot of. You can grab a Hunchback or Centurion and fit it with an AC/10 or AC/20, but that's the only ballistic weapon you're gonna be bringing.

#13 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I've found great success in my dragon builds lately. It's a truly underrated mech - but once you get used to the rhythm of its 3-4 hit punch (depending on the variant), and couple it with the ability to fade in and out of battle, it really excels.

My favourite would be the 1C, with 4 ML, 1 SRM 6, 1 AC/10. Doesn't sound like a lot, but you group the 4MLs into 2 groups, and you can have a constant stream of damage from the 4 weapon groups without having to pause. The AC/10 is a remarkably excellent weapon when fit on an arm as well.

The Flame is also very versatile. Capable of going from a heavy brawler that can go toe to toe with heavier machines (4MLs, 1 AC/20 and 1 SSRM2 (STD260 engine)), to a sniping striker build (2 PPCs, 2ML, 350-360XL), or as a head capper/sniper/striker (4LL).

#14 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

I like my K2.

Chassis Name: Catapult
Model Name: CPLT-K2

Engine Cost: 4,720,000 C-Bills
Heat Sink Cost: 24,000 C-Bills
Armor Cost: 120,192 C-Bills
Weapons Cost: 960,000 C-Bills
Equipment Cost: 0 C-Bills
Ammo Cost: 117,000 C-Bills

Engine: 295 XL Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel Internals
Armor Type: Standard Armor
Heat Sinks: 12 (11) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 65.00
Speed: 73.5 kph
Armor Total: 368
Alpha Strike Damage: 30.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 22.73%
Firepower: 8.95 dps
Heat Efficiency: 69.29%
Effective Range of Loadout: 600m

Head: 18/18
Right Torso: 40/60
Right Rear Torso: 20/60
Center Torso: 62/84
Center Rear Torso: 22/84
Left Torso: 40/60
Left Rear Torso: 20/60
Right Arm: 33/40
Left Arm: 33/40
Right Leg: 40/60
Left Leg: 40/60

Weapons Locations
Right Torso:
Ultra AC5
Medium Laser
Left Torso:
Ultra AC5
Medium Laser

Heat Sink Locations
Left Arm: 1

Equipment Locations

Ammo Locations
Right Torso:
(3) Ultra AC5 Ammo
Left Torso:
(3) Ultra AC5 Ammo
Center Torso:
(2) Ultra AC5 Ammo
Head:
Ultra AC5 Ammo
Right Leg:
(2) Ultra AC5 Ammo
Left Leg:
(2) Ultra AC5 Ammo

Might be able to drop a ton or two of ammo. I should probably pay more attention to how much I actually use per match.

#15 HiplyRustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

I'm having a lot of fun on my Ilya at the moment. 3 UAC/5s and 2 MLs make for bunches of goodness, and while the UACs are jam-prone...when they are rockin' it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. :angry:

#16 BrewnIx

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

U willl have to go bigger then a hunchback for a ballistic mech ive tried every combo. problem with ac20 on a hunchie you have to be hiding to use it cause your so slow and the rate fire is slow you 'll get eating alive- well i gotten eating alive.And there is not enough tons left to have any other weapons to do any real dmg.The hunchie is the best brawler with mediumrange weapons srm and ppc with medium lasers.And enough room to upgrade the engine to STD250 i believe is what i got in my 4sp. the ac2 has great rate of fire but is not effective below 450m from you but still not enough room where you have to only have 3 ML and its not enough dmg in close range dances.

#17 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I'd testify to the effectiveness of the ilya uac5 x3. you can spar from distance, or you can toe to toe with an atlas in battle line and account for yourself.

I also enjoy the CTF-3D with dual LBX10, dual med pulse as a fast moving, back shooting harasser. It has decent speed (80kph), jumps for fast turns and the armor to really rip up a battleline.

#18 Fred013

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the red dot on your chest.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

If you get a hunchback, get the 4H. The 4G has all 3 ballistics in the right torso, and you can't fit much in. The 4H can do the stock config of the 4G better than the 4G can. The 4H can carry AC/20, gauss or AC/10 and 5 other lasers. It's pretty good. But everyone targets that hunch. IDK about centurions, but I like my hunchies.

#19 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostHiplyRustic, on 31 December 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

I'm having a lot of fun on my Ilya at the moment.  3 UAC/5s and 2 MLs make for bunches of goodness, and while the UACs are jam-prone...when they are rockin' it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. :huh:

I was starting to be bored of MWO and bought the Illya as a New Year´s gift for myself.
Triple UAC/5 is the greatest fun i ever had in this game.It´s like a Wing Chun Chain Punsh.

#20 Lmxar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Right now I am running a CTF 4X. Have 2 UAC/5's, 2 AC5's, and a small laser. Debating getting rid of a ton of either ammo or armor for a medium laser too. Nothing more awesome than having an atlas run up to you, just to try to turn around and run away.

It isn't very practical, and I just finished it, but I have had some surprising success with it. I am sure against a good pilot, I don't stand much of a chance solo though.

Edited by Lmxar, 01 January 2013 - 11:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users