• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostPaintedWolf, on 02 January 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Now what are we supposed to do if we face a Clan Mech with 6 of those, being ER PPC and more heat efficieny and more damage with an Advanced Targeting computer and the Mech is faster with more armor? And no minimum range and greater maximum range. Inner Sphere just drop like flies or what?

We fight. And we fight some more. And when we fall we get up and fight some more! Just like we did when Clanners hit TT.

#42 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

We fight. And we fight some more. And when we fall we get up and fight some more! Just like we did when Clanners hit TT.

I believe they can make the Clan weapons even twice as powerful as in TT - they must do it - because Timmy and his younger brother were not breed for war....and do you know how much the impact on MWO will be?

Instead of the surival rate of a snowflake in a bonfire its the survival rate of a snowflake in hell.
or in numbers instead of beeing killed in 5sec you die in 3.5sec

Its the same as when mounitng additional heatsinks while using ER-PPCs.
You can have 12 heatsinks - or you can have 24 - in the end it doesn't matter.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 12 December 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 12 December 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

I believe they can make the Clan weapons even twice as powerful as in TT - they must do it - because Timmy and his younger brother were not breed for war....and do you know how much the impact on MWO will be?

Instead of the surival rate of a snowflake in a bonfire its the survival rate of a snowflake in hell.
or in numbers instead of beeing killed in 5sec you die in 3.5sec

Its the same as when mounitng additional heatsinks while using ER-PPCs.
You can have 12 heatsinks - or you can have 24 - in the end it doesn't matter.

Dude, Dead is dead. If we want a MechLab Consequences must be accepted. If we want No MechLab Consequences must be accepted.

To many players want to eat their cake and have it too.

#44 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

Dude, Dead is dead. If we want a MechLab Consequences must be accepted. If we want No MechLab Consequences must be accepted.

To many players want to eat their cake and have it too.

Well, if we followed your game design guidelines, as in:

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

...only thing thats gonna be permanently dead would be MWO, after short, delirious period of Clan vs. Clan.

#45 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

View Postssm, on 12 December 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Well, if we followed your game design guidelines, as in:

...only thing thats gonna be permanently dead would be MWO, after short, delirious period of Clan vs. Clan.

Guess Video gamers got no endurance. TT been here since 1984, I Have been a fan of it since then. Played all the Games I could find. If you like the game you play the game.

#46 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Guess Video gamers got no endurance. TT been here since 1984, I Have been a fan of it since then. Played all the Games I could find. If you like the game you play the game.

It's not a question of endurance. Games are bound to be fun and entertaining, and losing repeatedly game after game only because 30 year old fluff say so and makes our skill relatively useless (because you can out-skill somebody, but still lose because he's got better tech) is, for great majority of gamers, un-fun and un-entertaining, and simply - waste of time.

Edited by ssm, 12 December 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#47 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

View Postssm, on 12 December 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

It's not a question of endurance. Games are bound to be fun and entertaining, and losing repeatedly game after game only because 30 year old fluff say so and it makes our skill relatively useless (because you can out-skill somebody, but still lose because he's got better tech) is, for great majority of gamers, un-fun and un-entertaining, and simply - waste of time.

You Never GMed games have you?

#48 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

You Never GMed games have you?

I actually did. But it's irrelevant here, because we aren't reenacting fluff or role-playing here, but simply discussing possible ways to implement thing like clan tech in fps shooter game without breaking it.

Edited by ssm, 12 December 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#49 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

View Postssm, on 12 December 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

I actually did. But it's irrelevant here, because we aren't reenacting fluff or role-playing here, but simply discussing possible ways to implement thing like clan tech in fps shooter game without breaking it.

And I am on the side of the scale where I want my enemy more powerful than me. Where they are supposed to be. For a game that takes place in the BattleTech Universe. If I wanna play vs an enemy that I am on par with I would fight House Kurita or House Marik. If I wanna stomp a bunch of Wimps I go to House Liao or fight Pirates. I want my Clan Nemesis to be the Titans they have always been. Anything less and I should be playing the Succession Wars.

#50 talbs

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thank you

#51 Murilo Specht

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

And I am on the side of the scale where I want my enemy more powerful than me. Where they are supposed to be. For a game that takes place in the BattleTech Universe. If I wanna play vs an enemy that I am on par with I would fight House Kurita or House Marik. If I wanna stomp a bunch of Wimps I go to House Liao or fight Pirates. I want my Clan Nemesis to be the Titans they have always been. Anything less and I should be playing the Succession Wars.

I'd be very curious about your opinion 6 months later after you stopped winning any matches.

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostMurilo Specht, on 12 December 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

I'd be very curious about your opinion 6 months later after you stopped winning any matches.

Several years of not winning matches as a GM. You think I couldn't lose like that again, if I know I was not supposed to be winning. I would be looking to get the masterful upset. If it didn't happen it wasn't supposed to in the first place. I have been gaming for 30+ years, winning isn't always the end all.

#53 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

It's not roleplaying game, it's fps shooter, as were previous MW games. You're not fighting House Kurita or Marik, you're fighting other players. Things that work in RPG games (both computer and pen-and-paper) don't work here.

And, most importantly - entertaining, balanced gameplay always takes precedence over fluff and lore.

#54 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

i am willing to come out of retirement in this game just to make you eat that statement.

#55 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

View Postdal10, on 12 December 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

i am willing to come out of retirement in this game just to make you eat that statement.

You'd be waiting a long long time for me to get full! ;)

eating Chinese for lunch is not very filling! :) :P :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 12 December 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#56 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

View Postssm, on 12 December 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

It's not roleplaying game, it's fps shooter, as were previous MW games. You're not fighting House Kurita or Marik, you're fighting other players. Things that work in RPG games (both computer and pen-and-paper) don't work here.

And, most importantly - entertaining, balanced gameplay always takes precedence over fluff and lore.

I'm fighting House Kurita players if I attack a planet in that sector of the map. Factions are not RPG as much as they are a banner you wanna play under. I want to be fighting players that are from House Kurita and Marik as they are the in game enemy of my House and my Ally House Davion. If i were Role playing I would be acting like a character from Furillo and worshiping the word of the Archon... I'm Not, I am playing a House Steiner soldier fighting vs the Clans or where ever the unit I am in goes. You on't know your RPGs very well do you?

#57 Murilo Specht

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

Several years of not winning matches as a GM. You think I couldn't lose like that again, if I know I was not supposed to be winning. I would be looking to get the masterful upset. If it didn't happen it wasn't supposed to in the first place. I have been gaming for 30+ years, winning isn't always the end all.

If you have a strange fetish for losing, other players should not be dragged down with you into an unending losing streak. This is a competitive game, players want to win. If you make the clans overpowered, there will be very few IS players, matchmaking will be a nightmare, it will break the game completely.

#58 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostMurilo Specht, on 12 December 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

If you have a strange fetish for losing, other players should not be dragged down with you into an unending losing streak. This is a competitive game, players want to win. If you make the clans overpowered, there will be very few IS players, matchmaking will be a nightmare, it will break the game completely.

You misunderstand. I love winning, But I am also very very Competitive, and I want to fight against every variant of opponent I can. So I do want my Clanners to be something to fear! To date I have not encountered a build I could not take out. I have beat Atlases with a Centurion, I have beat 6 PPC Stalkers with a D-DC. There isn't one OP build that I have lobbied to get rid of. I have beaten them enough times to be satisfied they are not the problem. So please spare me your lack luster idea of what competitive is. Seriously I am playing Inner Sphere cause I wanna challenge to overcome. If I want a fair battle I'd rather be in the Succession Wars then facing Clanner.

Clanners like Clans BECAUSE they have better weapons, We will lose tons of players cause their faction have been neutered... Game over cause they didn't get what they were expecting!

#59 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well, on table top, a Firemoth, Mad Dog, and a Timberwolf destroyed five hundred tons of IS mechs in one match when we first rolled out the rules (This was before combat rating).

Even if it's just the 7 crit slot endo/ ferro fiberous and the smaller XL's, they are insanely OP without being able to use inferno rounds, knockdown or physical attacks against them. Although the smaller maps in this game mitigate most of their speed advantage.

You'd have to make it a cash sink to field one somehow.

Keep the IS mechs as positive gains for credit earning. Clan mechs for tourney or just thrashing.

Edited by Skunk Wolf, 12 December 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#60 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'm fighting House Kurita players if I attack a planet in that sector of the map. Factions are not RPG as much as they are a banner you wanna play under. I want to be fighting players that are from House Kurita and Marik as they are the in game enemy of my House and my Ally House Davion. If i were Role playing I would be acting like a character from Furillo and worshiping the word of the Archon... I'm Not, I am playing a House Steiner soldier fighting vs the Clans or where ever the unit I am in goes. You on't know your RPGs very well do you?

I know my RPGs well, and even more - I uderstand we're not playing it at the moment. We are in forums, you're not in character (unless you're seriously think you're in Lyran Alliance right now, which would actually explain a lot), so spare me all this "playing soldiers" stuff.

You claim to understand that it's not RPG and yet insist on following lore to the letter, and thus making 80% of the current content (namely, mechs) obsolete.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

You misunderstand. I love winning, But I am also very very Competitive, and I want to fight against every variant of opponent I can. So I do want my Clanners to be something to fear! To date I have not encountered a build I could not take out. I have beat Atlases with a Centurion, I have beat 6 PPC Stalkers with a D-DC. There isn't one OP build that I have lobbied to get rid of. I have beaten them enough times to be satisfied they are not the problem. So please spare me your lack luster idea of what competitive is. Seriously I am playing Inner Sphere cause I wanna challenge to overcome. If I want a fair battle I'd rather be in the Succession Wars then facing Clanner.

If you want something to fear (and be competitive, by your own definition), play stock IS mechs, and don't try to force us to playing badly designed game. No problem there.

Clanners like Clans BECAUSE they have better weapons, We will lose tons of players cause their faction have been neutered... Game over cause they didn't get what they were expecting!

If they seriously though they were to reatain their TT OPness and just run around rolling over willing (for some reason) IS players, then they vere just delusional, and I wish them farewell on their journey to MW title where it's possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users