59 replies to this topic

#1 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I was thinking of trying something like this:
YEN-LO-WANG
Sort of the little brother of the triple UAC5 Ilya builds running around;

But before investing MeatSpace Dollars, I thought I would get some feedback. I hear much wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding yen-lo-wang; but just looking at him, he doesnt seem that terrible, the cent has a brutal twist range, and alot of manueverability, I figure between that and a pair of uac5's it should be pretty solid.

Then again I could be totally wrong, So I thought I would ask.

#2 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Interesting, never thought of putting the UAC on that. Mine has a Gauss Rifle.

You are going to want to up the ammo. I have a CTF with 2 UAC5 and 5 tons of ammo and I almost always run out. Maybe ditch the AMS (stick close to an ECM Atlas) and add a couple of tons. Also think about CASE.

#3 ZelenKai

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I used to think it was fun running around in a zombie YLW... (largest std engine, minimal upgrades, no AC) With the addition of ECM and removal of repair costs, it really doesn't make any sense to run a minimal mech for C-bill grinding.

The arm is just too big, it gets shot off almost instantly when you get in a firefight. And the two center lasers can't be larger than mediums. So when you lose your arm, you end up with a walking stick with less firepower and speed than most light mechs.

Edited by ZelenKai, 03 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#4 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

was looking at the other centurions....
Can the 9d really equip an XL-390?
if so....

BY WHAT UNHOLY BARGAIN IS THIS PERMISSIBLE?
If I understand correctly, no other mech can use that engine...
I cannot fathom what an xl390 must cost in cbills.... especially considering only one mech can use it....

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Holy crap! If that's true, I gotta try it.

#6 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I've never thought all that much of them. When I see one, I shoot its right arm weapon off ASAP (usually it's an AC/20 or Gauss, both very very very easy to destroy) and then it's usually almost neutered.

View PostGandalfrockman, on 03 January 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

was looking at the other centurions....
Can the 9d really equip an XL-390?
if so....

BY WHAT UNHOLY BARGAIN IS THIS PERMISSIBLE?
If I understand correctly, no other mech can use that engine...
I cannot fathom what an xl390 must cost in cbills.... especially considering only one mech can use it....

Max Engine size is based off Stock Engine size (and gets a bonus the lighter the weight category the mech is in). The D comes with a 300, so it can equip a 390, which doesn't have a particularly high cost (they don't take into account the number of Engines produced). Though there's some wasted tonnage there, so I wouldn't get anything over a 380.

#7 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I was thinking of trying something like this:
YEN-LO-WANG
Sort of the little brother of the triple UAC5 Ilya builds running around;

But before investing MeatSpace Dollars, I thought I would get some feedback. I hear much wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding yen-lo-wang; but just looking at him, he doesnt seem that terrible, the cent has a brutal twist range, and alot of manueverability, I figure between that and a pair of uac5's it should be pretty solid.

Then again I could be totally wrong, So I thought I would ask.

Now try it with Double Heat Sinks and be amazed.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69dc5d210b88471

In any case though, YLW is useless and even more so with an XL engine

Edited by Antony Weiner, 03 January 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#8 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I actually went toe-to-toe against a Wang with my Fang (god that sounds wrong, LOL). I usually don't brawl well, but my Fang outmatched his Wang (crap, there it goes again). The Wang seemed kind of fragile, but he may have been weakened already. Far too many innuendos in this post.

#9 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well considering that the YLW is the only medium mech that can do the 2UAC/5 build with an XL engine, then this is pretty solid. The hunch can do it too, but can't use an XL, so I dunno how that would do.

I suspect this build will fare better, but I don't much care for UAC-5s myself.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ba8bea5440c86d

Edited by ICEFANG13, 03 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#10 Gwaeth

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostZelenKai, on 03 January 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

I used to think it was fun running around in a zombie YLW... (largest std engine, minimal upgrades, no AC) With the addition of ECM and removal of repair costs, it really doesn't make any sense to run a minimal mech for C-bill grinding.

The arm is just too big, it gets shot off almost instantly when you get in a firefight. And the two center lasers can't be larger than mediums. So when you lose your arm, you end up with a walking stick with less firepower and speed than most light mechs.

I agree. Have tried lotsa different ballistics arm , 2xac5, 2xac2, ac-10, gauss , ac-20, lbx10. Problem is that close range that hand gets shot off fast. 2 med lasers or 2 medium pulses depending on your build wont give you as much credits as they used to.

I think my best credits with it after last patch have come with 2xac2 or gauss and just try "tag" every enemy from as far as possible to get assists bonus on every kill and then just try todo best you can until arm gets shot off.

YEN-LO-WANG

If id known that R&R gets removed before i bought Wang, i would have waited and bought hero catapracht instead. Not friend of dragons so now i just wait if next hero mech is something that interests me. Also as i play from finland , hitting with ballistics is sometimes quite erratic so id prefer hero with more energy+missiles unless netcode gets fixed fast...

Edited by Gwaeth, 03 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#11 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ilya and Wang are like apples and oranges. Can't really compare the two.

I run a Wang with a standard 250 engine, max FF armour (338 pts), AC20 (3t ammo), 2 MLas, and case. Double heat sinks, and endo-steel. It's a real zombie brawler - takes a lot of pounding to bring down, and when it does go down, it goes down swinging. With Ilya, the general idea is to capitalize on the hardpoints, and that's 3x uac5, or 2x uac2 and a gauss (I run mine with one MLas, minus some armour).

It's been a while since I took my YLW for a spin, as I'm driving a commando now, but last time I did, ended the match with 3 kills, including Ilya, an Atlas, and some unlucky raven that died with my AC20 up his butt.

You no mess with Lo Wang!

Edited by qki, 03 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#12 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Awww man, I'm like the only guy who likes the Wang.

Ahem.

Anyway, I actually don't mind the YLW. It isn't top-teir by any stretch, but it can hold its own. As always, it is the player that provides the power, not the mech. That said, I don't like your build. Twin UAC5s are devastating, but if you have to make the devils bargain of an XL engine, they aren't worth it - not if you are going to be brawling it up anyway.

I think the best use of the Wang is to mount what makes it unique - the AC20. Take a 250STD, 2xMLAS in the CT, the AC20, 4 tons of ammo in the legs, and Endo, Ferro, and DHS, and you're good to go. Have fun flying around at 89kph while chucking the biggest slug in the game into Assault mech's backsides. Just make sure to protect the cannon and play smart and you can do a lot of damage.
The build in Smurfy.

#13 Grey Man

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I was torn between the Wang and the Flame for a long time, but eventually settled on the Flame. A few matches later I ended up on the same team as a Wang. We had almost the same build, except I had twice the medium lasers, way more armor, almost the same speed, and my AC/20 couldn't be shot off as easily.

Happy with my choice.

(Although if R&R comes back it may swing in the Wangs favor. If collisions return the Flame is back on top.)

#14 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

The thing about the wang is it trades the missile hardpoints of the other centurions for more torso twist. With the regular variants, if you lose your arm (which everyone is aiming for) then you have SRMS and your 2ML. With the wang you only have 2ML left. It's not a good trade IMO, but if you can stay out of the fight, then it can do some damage.

#15 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

OK I'll be honest i have a Yen (first day it came out)
and i dont like it, I've just never clicked with it. and havent played it in a long time.
prob should have play Cents before buying it, but hey thats my fault not the mechs.

but i do really enjoy HunchBacks, i just find i do a hell of alot better in them than i do in Cents, seeing they are both Meds,
i find the Hunch is alot better at brawling,

But if your thinking Wang i really suggest you think about buying Flame or Fang instead for a little extra,
heavy mechs but they play as Mediums,
i have a Fang and i bloody love it, but as most will tell you the Flame is thought to be the better of the 2.
but i cant say seeing i dont have a Flame :lol:

#16 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostZelenKai, on 03 January 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Sounds like you need to play it like it is a HBK-4G. They tend to have the same problem. If you can avoid the lime light you're golden. Also trying turning that AC20 away and use the shield arm to catch damage.

http://mwomercs.com/...ck-4g-properly/

Edited by Hauser, 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#17 Redbull102

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Do not forget the NETCODE!

What is your PING?

With a Ping around 120ms the YLW is often a pain to play. I own one, and the config I like best is 2*UAC5, 2*MLaser, Endo, 200 XL Engine, Double Heatsinks, AMS, with mastered skills. Without elite skills the XL 200 is to slow, I need the +10%, so without Elite Skills, I used a XL 225.

Yen-Lo-Wang is best played as a support mech, I stay close to a heavy or assault, and try to focus fire at the target the heavier mech is attacking.

If I get caught alone, I am dead. Solo versus fast moving Light Mechs I am not fast enough, solo versus fast Mediums the delayed fire of the UACs + the sometimes strange bulletpaths will make most bullets miss and the 2 laser does not do enough damage. Solo versus heavier mechs is not a good idea, you will be outgunned and your armor will not hold your mech long enough together. Only slow mediums are food to my YLW.

So you need most times a team or at least a bit of teamplay... happens ~50% of the time in puggames.

Max Engine for the Yel-Lo-Wang is a 280. With XL 280, I reached 90.7 kp/h + 10% Bonus = 99.8kp/h.
But the Centurion is huge, even at ~100kp/h I am easily hit. For me the YLW feels better with XL200 + AMS + more tons of UAC5 ammo.

With a better netcode, the YLW could be worth the money. But now it is a more frustrating mech.
I have fun with it in 3 of 10 games. In the 7 others, I get lagshielded enemies ( even stalker and atlases ), bad teams that spread out leaving me in the middle alone trying to figure out which atlas I should try to support, fights with 5 speedy lights 1 fast medium 1 fast heavy 1 ecm atlas while my team got 3 disconnects + other bad things, 2 4 men steiner scoutlances as enemies, enemy teams that got 6 players with 26ms pings when our are 100ms-350ms, enemy teams with 4 ecm when our team got none and it is the night map, and so on...

If you want to try the 2 UACs, get the cicada with 1 Energy + 4 Ballistic Hardpoints. With a XL 170 + Endo you will have enough tons to fit 2 UACs 3 tons ammo + 1 Med Laser. My YLW is a bit slower but got more armor 5 tons ammo +1 med laser but the playstyle is nearly the same. Different is : Cicada got the ballistic slots in the side torsos, Cent in one arm + the stupid paintjob. So with the cicada you do not need to shield you arm,

To check if you like the playstyle with 2 UACs the Cicada is the cheapest way to try.

Best wishes
Redbull102

Edited to remove mistakes.

Edited by Redbull102, 04 January 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#18 Zanzerroth

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

i Hav a Yen and like it but everyone is right. All the centurions main fire power is in the right arm so its the biggest target. I have found that no matter how high you crank the armor it dies pretty quickly. You best bet to avoid that scenario is to team up with people. For me most of the time my arm is shot off there are few mechs left in the match and all of them are pretty heavily damaged so the two lasers may be able to score you points, specifically if your still with a few people. Also if your going with balistic its best to slow down and fire or fire when your moving straight at your target. The speed plays havoc with lead times and most of what i have been able to lead has been assault mechs. My suggestion though if you not geting it for the hero bonus get a 9d and go from there. I was able to down grade to a non xl engine and even with my cannon gone i still had 2 SSRM and Medeum lasers.

#19 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

The problem with Cents have always been their strange, shield-like left arm (With an actual shield on it) that does little next to nothing, and their gigantic "PLEASE PRUNE THIS" bonsai plant of a right arm that usually goes missing halfway through the match.

Or at the start if someone gauss-es it off.

Other than them becoming monkfish upon turning , allowing for some amusing (sometimes impressive) evasive maneuvers against ballistics from time to time, I don't really see the advantage of a cent over a hunch... Other than hardpoint combinations, which once again calls to mind arm removal.

I usually focus fire Cents just so that they'd stop running around and showing me that shield arm of theirs.

I guess that's my... *glasses*

Two Cents.

#20 HiplyRustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't know...it looked cool when I saw it in the window, but I'm glad I didn't pop $ for it. I have a 3 UAC5/2 ML Ilya for a c-grinder and I love the sucker, I straight up love it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users