179 replies to this topic

#21 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I've never encountered or even suspected another tester of cheating. If I did, I would report it via the appropriate channels.

#22 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hi, I'm good. :) GL HF!

#23 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

i know that you can fire your UAC5´s like crazy sometimes, and in other matches they just jam ALWAYS after 1 shot... and honestly i don´t know HOW someone would "trick" the server to not jam the UAC... seems a like OP just got killed by an UAC or AC2 spam and THINKS it was a cheat, because UAC´s MUST jam... but still..it has a CHANCE to (not)jam... and to be very accurate with your shots on 1 spot is more than possible... an often argued fact about damage balance :wub:

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 14 January 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#24 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

To be honest. Many of the "aimbots" which are suspected are down to loads of practice and very low pings.

Most of the claims here in the thread seem absolutely impossible; aim snapping anywhere for example, as this is hard coded on the server side, not the client side of the programm.

Having said that. Im 100% sure that there are cheats around and available for this game as it is the internet after all and some noobs dont seem to find any interrest at actually being good themselves or are just lazy... Ive just not seen many which I could 100% nail as being cheaters.

The closest Ive come to susupecting players of cheating are some extremely good aims (mostly on 4PPC Stalkers being able to nail a moving mech at 130 kph without missing the first shot) or some suspected selective lagshields where the only start to lag extremely if you are shooting directly towards them while moving smoothly otherwise.

#25 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

These unsubstantiated claims of cheating are really getting annoying. I also have this in my own unit. Once people get headshotted or hit with a PPC volley that cores them they start to cry about cheating. Its ridiculous.

View PostRushin Roulette, on 14 January 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

The closest Ive come to susupecting players of cheating are some extremely good aims (mostly on 4PPC Stalkers being able to nail a moving mech at 130 kph without missing the first shot) or some suspected selective lagshields where the only start to lag extremely if you are shooting directly towards them while moving smoothly otherwise.

That is exactly what i mean. Why should a 4 PPC stalker hitting you be more of a cheat than someone hitting you with an AC2? And I dont think there is any aimbot out there that accounts for latency. If these shots that have to be lead hit I would rather see it as confirmation that its NOT an aimbot.

I myself have also had quite a few good sniper shots where I headshot an Atlas with the first shot of the game, or obliterated Commandos that were in full run etc. And I am pretty sure I never used an aimbot.

Edited by Redoxin, 14 January 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#26 Von Claussen

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostMavRCK, on 13 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Hi, I'm good. :wub: GL HF!

OMGWTFBBQ HAXZORZ!

#27 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

I am not denying there are cheaters; if there is a will, there is a way. However, I have not, yet, noticed anything obvious. There is the ocassional glitch/bug where a player has survived considerably more damage than expected. Then again I've one shotted a couple of players, from ridiculous ranges before. I'm sure they thought it to be cheater-esque.

#28 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostRedoxin, on 14 January 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

That is exactly what i mean. Why should a 4 PPC stalker hitting you be more of a cheat than someone hitting you with an AC2? And I dont think there is any aimbot out there that accounts for latency. If these shots that have to be lead hit I would rather see it as confirmation that its NOT an aimbot.

Please read my post again. I stated that "the closest Ive come to suspecting" which is not "Im sure that someone was cheating". Hitting with an AC2 is deffinitely different than hitting with a PPC as the PPC does not have the annoying fire delay which all balistic weapons have. To fire a PPC you need to aim slightly ahead to compensate for travel time and pull the trigger. To hit with an AC2 you need to aim slightly ahead to compensate for travel time plus quite a bit further to account the firing delay.

Im not talking about him hitting some noob standing still in plain view with his assault, but about myself in a 130 kph Cicada moving roughly perpendicular with a few random turns and around 550 meters between us. 1 Alpha and 40 armor on one of my legs was gone and the internals were deep red. That was either incredible skill, a perfectly lucky shot or something else. I had a second scout behind me at the time who confirmed to me that there were no calibration shots before that and it was his first shot in the game.

EDIT: Corrected a few typos

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 14 January 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#29 SippySips

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 14 January 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Please read my post again. I stated that "the closest Ive come to suspecting" which is not "Im sure that someone was cheating". Hitting with an AC2 is deffinitely different than hitting with a PPC as the PPC does not have the annoying fire delay which all balistic weapons have. To fire a PPC you need to aim slightly ahead to compensate for travel time and pull the trigger. To hit with an AC2 you need to aim slightly ahead to compensate for travel time plus quite a bit further to account the firing delay.

Im not talking about him hitting some noob standing still in plain view with his assault, but about myself in a 130 kph Cicada moving roughly perpendicular with a few random turns and around 550 meters between us. 1 Alpha and 40 armor on one of my legs was gone and the internals were deep red. That was either incredible skill, a perfectly lucky shot or something else. I had a second scout behind me at the time who confirmed to me that there were no calibration shots before that and it was his first shot in the game.

EDIT: Corrected a few typos

Hello! I use a 6 ppc mech and regularly one shot assaults and heavies.

So far I have not been called a cheat, BUT, I have caused people to get angry.

#30 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

For the UAC unjamming firing:

Most gamers use Logitech G series mouses, Razer Gaming mouses or Steelseries gaming mouses.

All allow Macro programming ( and it is even nessecary for MWO) and you can programm delay in it.

I have yet to try it bymyself but you can fire a UAV5 without jamming every 1.2-1.5 Seconds.
(have heard severals numbers)

Make a Makro on your Mouse with delay, try it and get to the closes delay until they start jamming.
Thats how it works.

Edited by Elkarlo, 14 January 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#31 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostShortcircuit42, on 14 January 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Hello! I use a 6 ppc mech and regularly one shot assaults and heavies.

So far I have not been called a cheat, BUT, I have caused people to get angry.

What, exactly, are you putting 42 tons of PPC in?

#32 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostCalamus, on 14 January 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Stalker or Awesome it can be done in both. Safer in a Stalker.

#33 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostTesunie, on 13 January 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

How about large lasers coring out a fast moving mech at extream close range? For four shots in a row? Not splashing anywhere else but the center torso? You can be good, and I respect skill, but at some point, it's no longer skill, forget humanly possible...

It's a lot easier at close range, your target is relatively larger. Large Lasers are no harder to be precise with than Small lasers, after all.

#34 SippySips

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostCalamus, on 14 January 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 14 January 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Stalker or Awesome it can be done in both. Safer in a Stalker.

Stalker 5s.

Over heats a load but it usually doesn't seem to matter all that much. I'm looking forward to the ppc buff.

#35 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostLykaon, on 09 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

1,685 matches played.

Times I thought I saw an intentional third party exploit: 0

Eh, I've seen a few things that had me scratching my head - full teams of glitching, teleporting mechs, shooting folks and doing zero damage, etc.

I've generally been more inclined to say "bug" than "cheater" but who knows.

It certainly does not, thus far, seem "rampant" but if not addressed it will get out of hand, eventually.

#36 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

or some suspected selective lagshields where the only start to lag extremely if you are shooting directly towards them while moving smoothly otherwise.

yeah this has nothing to do with lag shielding per se. i can confirm it is a bug and it has happened to me a few times, it's related to the 4 fps bug.

cheating lag shielders lag their own connection, but this bug is server side very much like the 4fps bug.
it happens when you spawn and you get a bit of lag only in the direction of the enemy, you can still pilot your mech but
i believe you will appear as lagged to them if you don't face them directly but they face you, you still cannot shoot them directly until a couple of them die and the lagging stops somehow. might be video lag but doesn't seem like it when the previous and next matches work out well

#37 deforce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 616 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

i have about 2500 games played at this point and i honestly feel like i have not come across a single player that i could say was blatantly cheating.

maybe you are underestimating peoples skills... if all(majority of my shots) are not all going in the same spot, then im having a bad day and thats not my normal. And im not the only one who only aims for specific spots on a mech, almost everyone i group up with has equivalent or better aim.

#38 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I also played 1000+ games and never seen anything that looked more like a cheat than a bug.

As a beta game there are simply way too much bugs/glitches which will produce strange situations.
Due to this it is impossible to say for sure that someone has cheated.
And in it's current state it's also nearly impossible to implement anti-cheating measures simply because those mechanisms would trigger lots of false alarms.

First the core system has to be nearly bug free, as lag-free as possible and stable. And regional servers must be established. Only then we can talk about cheats, because only then we have a chance to even identify them.

Additionally as mentioned before, most cheats are barely possible in any well designed mmo because as much important things as possible are processed on the server.

The general error which is made by many players is to compare shooters like CoD, Counterstrike or DayZ were other player's unsafe computers are used as servers to true MMOs like MWO with it's own protected servers.

Those games are hackable in any way imaginable because nearly nothing is checked by the servers and/or those servers can easily be modified and compromized. But in an MMO, this is way harder to do and would often require physical server access.

In an MMO you can usually only cheat what the client knows and most commands are double checked by the server.
For instance wallhacks are impossible if the server only transfers the positions of known units to the client. Sure you can disable textures on the client to see through walls and hills, but you won't see any enemy unit you are not supposed to see.
In the same way you can't make yourself invulnerable, shoot faster, disable jamming or disable heat-generation. The server knows your correct values and calculates them and the server always overrides any odd information on the client.

In fact the server even don't receive any of the client's values. The only thing the client does is to send commands. Those commands are processed on the server and he sends the new gamestate to the client. Without exploiting bugs it is really hard to manipulate anything here.

One of the few really realistic cheats are aimbots. BUT they can only work properly in a lag-free environment and only few can even lead moving targets. We all know in MWO we have to lead shots way more than usual to compensate lag (at least as non american/canadian players). It's very hard or even impossible for an aimbot to correctly compute leading of a moving target and predict lag.
The immense efford needed to program such an aimbot is most probably not done for a niche game like MWO.

Of cause even in MMOs there are still cheats possible, but they are much rarer than most people suspect. In most cases strange behaviours are caused by bugs, lag or simply really good players. :D

And of cause when a game is still in development there will be bugs which can be exploited. But usually those exploits can be identified and fixed quite fast by the devs by watching the cheat-scene for cheat releases for their game or simply by using statistical analysis of the data generated by the game.

I hope i could shed some light on cheating and encourage you to simply play on and handle strange things as what they most probably are: Glitches caused by a quite buggy software still under heavy development. :)

Edit:
BTW, this thread is in the wrong forum section. "Forum Support" is meant for any problems with the forum software itself, not for game related discussions. If a mod sees this, please move this thread to an appropiate forum section. :lol:

Edited by Daggett, 14 January 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#39 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 January 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

It's a lot easier at close range, your target is relatively larger. Large Lasers are no harder to be precise with than Small lasers, after all.

When a light is pulling fast turns around them with all the perks and even masters earned on the mech? I would suspect a little about several shots not splashing anywhere and only hitting the center torso in this case. Don't know about you, but when I'm being circled close by fast lights running around me, I'm lucky to splash some laser fire on any part of them, forget getting a clean shot on the center torso alone and coring them out by four or more of these shots only. As I said, it's hard to prove though, but aim bots do exist and can be getting used for all we know. I just know that, if something looks and smells fishy, it usually is. By bug, glitch or actual programs running things, I don't know.

I'm also recalling my days of playing Mechwarrior 4 online with other people. I found several aim bots and movement bots on there. I loved people who played with movement bots. So predictable. Aim bot though... being snipped outside detection range as soon as my ECMed Vulture crested a hill for the first time and dieing got old... fast...

View PostMazzyplz, on 14 January 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

yeah this has nothing to do with lag shielding per se. i can confirm it is a bug and it has happened to me a few times, it's related to the 4 fps bug.

cheating lag shielders lag their own connection, but this bug is server side very much like the 4fps bug.
it happens when you spawn and you get a bit of lag only in the direction of the enemy, you can still pilot your mech but
i believe you will appear as lagged to them if you don't face them directly but they face you, you still cannot shoot them directly until a couple of them die and the lagging stops somehow. might be video lag but doesn't seem like it when the previous and next matches work out well

Gotten this bug. It's annoying. Especially seen as it can creep up on you in the middle of the match with no warning.

And a quick note for Daggett, we aren't talking about hacks and game breaking cheats. We are referring more to a computer program operating a part of the game for you, instead of you controlling it. Like, where your cross hairs are, or pulling the trigger when it's lined up over a target, or taking control of your mechs movement for you... Not saying any or all of these are out for this game, but I do know an aim bot program does exist. Someone was dumb enough to post a link to a site with the aim bot program on it. An admin shut that down fast...

#40 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostDaggett, on 14 January 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

In an MMO you can usually only cheat what the client knows and most commands are double checked by the server.
For instance wallhacks are impossible if the server only transfers the positions of known units to the client. Sure you can disable textures on the client to see through walls and hills, but you won't see any enemy unit you are not supposed to see.

This part is deffinitely not true. My game had a wierd bug a few months ago (shortly after the game went into open beta) where the textures would not load at all. I was playing in Frozen city with only the ground and background cliffs. There were no buildings in my view and even the map internal walls of the tunnel were invisible. I was able to target mechs inside the tunnel from close to the lower spawnpoint (close to the middle and rear tunnel entrance).

The point is. This showed me that wallhacks are deffinitely possible in the game... but that I would much rather have the textures on my screen... because even if the buildings were invisible to my screen, the shots and my mech were still very effectively stopped by them... and 10 minutes of walking and shooting buildings and hearing from my teammates that Im walking into a building again is very frustrating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users