What Happens When..

64 replies to this topic

#1 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

New netcode and collision mechanics are in place and the inevitable nerf of ecm hits and skilled light pilots are still wrecking house?

Just wonder what people think about this. Before they removed collision my 2d was a miniature wrecking ball without packing streaks and no ecm protection what so ever. I still haven't put ecm or any modules on it and usually still devour several mechs with it. The 3L is a proper monster right now. And with a bit of luck on the drop I can still run my jenner's 6 lasers through the back of lrm boats.

What do you think will be the next step to nerf these guys out when people who still can't shoot straight fuss about lights being too powerful? I understand the netcode doesn't help matters out right now, but light pilots will continue to be a force even when it's cleaned up, more so in pug drops where they have the instant advantage of dealing with unorganized tactics, but I'm willing to bet a team of lights in 8v8 will still be a crazy challenge.

#2 Sayyid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

I expect to see less and less light mechs and more Cicadas, honestly.

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I haven't fully tested through the Cicada line yet. I did like it's stock speed and maneuverability more than the Raven, but for me it will boil down to how little I can get hit in it. The chicken legs don't make corners quite as fast as the Commandos which is a big downside.

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

The more skillfull light pilots will continue to thrive and the less skillfull will start dying as they should. In other words, a return to normalcy.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostM A L I C E, on 07 January 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

When you remove all of the unfair exploits that lights enjoy right now?

Nothing to worry about at all.

A skilled light pilot isn't anything I worry about, because my skill will likely trump their anyway, and if not, I'm in a better mech to boot.

Role warfare and all that...

Once their unfair advantages are removed, they'll be put right back in their place as scouts and fire support.

I fear no light mech.

MALICE is almost right here. Once the unfair advantages are corrected, Only the truly good Light Pilots will remain, and they will still deserve respect.

#6 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've gotten lots of sweet kills on lights. A mech moving fast isn't a problem for me.

What IS a problem is shooting a mech that's teleporting around so much that it could be anywhere within a 15-20 meter circle around itself. What IS a problem is a mech deciding that, instead of piloting skillfully around me, it's just gonna go right through me.

It's obvious that there are genuinely good light pilots who will continue to thrive. But it's also obvious that broken game mechanics are allowing bad pilots to thrive as well. To deny either of those things is the height of ignorance and stupidity.

#7 Corbec793

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I think it will be a good thing. I had no issues with light pilots prior to them removing the collisions and more often then not I can handle a scout.
There are some good pilots out there and if I'm daft enough to get caught out in the open with nothing to put my back against it's anyone's game.

If I get killed by a scout because they are good then I'm quite happy to tip my cap and say how good they where over vent. If I get kllled by a scout because it's running into my legs and glitching through me and team mates then yeah it's annoying. I'm looking forward to the fix and these bad pilots try to sit on assault mech's feet.

As to the lag shield everyone talks about I don't really have much issue with it I compensate by aiming slightly ahead and making sure my cross hairs light up when I hit it.

#8 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

The only time I "fear" a light mech is if I happen to be in my Stalker, in which case I just call for assistance. I have almost no issues with lights now, so I look foreward to the return of collisions so I can have an even easier time against the lights.

And the only reason I have issues in my Stalker is the horrible turn speed and torso twist, but that is acceptable for a slow, heavily armed assault mech. I SHOULD have problems with light mechs in that thing.

#9 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Good light pilots will still be good, and bad ones will be bad. Pretty simple really.

Right now the bad ones look good because of netcode and collisions.

#10 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

People BIT CH, whine, moan and complain now about all lights, the ONLY 'Mechs I have problems with right now are Ravens, and it's because of their crappy hit detection and not their speed or lag shield.

I can compensate for lag.
I can compensate for speed.
I cannot compensate for shots hitting but not registering.

Edited by BDU Havoc, 07 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

There will be like 90% less light mechs.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 07 January 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

People BIT CH, whine, moan and complain now about all lights, the ONLY 'Mechs I have problems with right now are Ravens, and it's because of their crappy hit detection and not their speed or lag shield.

I can compensate for lag.
I can compensate for speed.
I cannot compensate for shots hitting but not registering.
Specially when the Raven is just standing there not moving. One Alpha from My Atlas has killed a FRESH Raven. Or when Lag is an issue. the Raven looks at me with that "never more" look and runs off. disheartening.

#13 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 January 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

What Happens When..
New netcode and collision mechanics are in place and the inevitable nerf of ecm hits and skilled light pilots are still wrecking house?

Never gonna happen, too many light pilots are relying on bad pilot habits created from a long carreer of Lag Shield, and not caring about collisions...
There will still be a few light pilots that will manage just fine, continuing to be irritants, but not as many by a long shot.

#14 Dakkath

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationG-14 Classified

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Lights were never meant to be the brawlers that they are currently. IMO they'll be put back into their 'role' of scouting, ECM'ing, BAPing, TAGing, or moving to achieve objectives in Conquest / other map modes.

Hopefully down the rode when/if vehicles/infantry get put in they'll clean those areas up for the heavier forces to come in and duke it out with each other.

#15 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Just to give everyone an estimation, I was running Cicada the other night and my duo partner had the ECM version. Going full speed with both of us on 60ms ping I had to get 168m close to him to get his ECM which should be 180m range. We were moving at 129kph so I would estimate the lagshield even on a low ping mech to be around 12ish meters, not too bad but still a good mech length away.

Also once the 3L is shootable by Jenners I will be back having fun in my mothballed mechs.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostDakkath, on 07 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Lights were never meant to be the brawlers that they are currently. IMO they'll be put back into their 'role' of scouting, ECM'ing, BAPing, TAGing, or moving to achieve objectives in Conquest / other map modes.

Hopefully down the rode when/if vehicles/infantry get put in they'll clean those areas up for the heavier forces to come in and duke it out with each other.

Hope so man. Some of the vehicles in this game will be hideous with how fast hover tanks can move!

#17 Darth JarJar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Just wonder what people think about this. Before they removed collision my 2d was a miniature wrecking ball without packing streaks and no ecm protection what so ever. I still haven't put ecm or any modules on it and usually still devour several mechs with it. The 3L is a proper monster right now. And with a bit of luck on the drop I can still run my jenner's 6 lasers through the back of lrm boats.

What do you think will be the next step to nerf these guys out when people who still can't shoot straight fuss about lights being too powerful? I understand the netcode doesn't help matters out right now, but light pilots will continue to be a force even when it's cleaned up, more so in pug drops where they have the instant advantage of dealing with unorganized tactics, but I'm willing to bet a team of lights in 8v8 will still be a crazy challenge.

Wrong. When the netcode is fixed and the lagshield lost, AND knockdowns are back in, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the ankle-biter segment, because they will be unable to run around and crash into things with impunity. Back in CB, when knockdowns were in, lights had to be more conservative. Frequently,a light would collide and fall down and even with the lagging around while standing up it was a death sentence. Everyone standing around would alpha it and game over. There was none of this 'scouts running and circling through the middle of the OPFOR main body' routine that we see now.

PS: Saying that people can't shoot straight with the current netcode is the same as saying someone drowned because he wasn't tough enough to hold his breath for 30 minutes.....

#18 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

I just want to use my dragon to tackle again...that would solve alot of light issues

#19 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

New netcode

Won't happen.

#20 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I know my piloting has gotten a lot worse since knockdowns were taken out. I will have to take a couple of weeks to relearn light piloting.

When it comes back and netcode gets better, there will be fewer lights overall, but a greater proportion of jenners and non-ECM variants. Probably not as many 4 person raven packs (some will still do it for the lulz, but it won't be good for farming). Some will move on to the next FOTM, but some of us will still be around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users