Ask The Devs 30 - New Formula!

338 replies to this topic

#61 Geminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I know that EVERYONE is going to role their eyes as I viciously bludgeon this deceased horse, but, I was wondering what the official word from the official men with the plan is. Should we all give up on any hope of ever seeing what is reseen? Or is their the slightest glimmer of hope at the end of a long dark tunnel? I've searched the forums for anything posted from the team, but all I ever find is rumor mill and speculation. Thanks, and keep up the great job guys.

#62 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

• Why did you design ECM in such a way that it obviates the existing role/information warfare dynamic between scouts, spotters, and fire support, and that there is no available counter outside of fighting expensive LosTech with expensive LosTech?
  • When is the CN9-AH coming back? Why was it removed in the first place, when it was a unique and distinct alternative the the AN9-A, CN9-AL, and CN9-YLW?
  • Any updates on the timeline for implementing the Community/Faction warfare features? I'm looking forward to the new maps and game mode that have been announced, but I'm still champing at the bit for the metagame that will tie it all together.
  • What happened to the old forum's "Advanced Search" options? I haven't been able to find them since the forums rolled to the new Open Beta format, and I miss the functionality. :P
  • Has any thought been given to slightly buffing the RoF of the AC/10? Right now it lags behind both the AC/5 and AC/20 in DoT.
  • GXP gain seems very slow relative to module unlocks currently. Is unlocking modues meant to be this grindy, or is it just that way currently because we have relatively few modules to work towards?
  • Where are things at with Community Warfare? Can you give us any hints at how Merc Corps are going to be managed, how contracts will work, when/how planetary conquests occur?

Why does using bullet points break my post half the time?

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 08 January 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#63 AGTMADCAT

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

When will mercenary corporations be able to be officially "founded"? With custom icons on the forums & ingame? And will there be free access to "official" decals for each faction and merc corp?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
-AGT

#64 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

yay, new format. now they can answer fewer of our questions, ignore the ones people actually care about, and spend pages after pages talking about garth's microwave. just end this farce already.

#65 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

What are your plans for how clans and clantech will be introduced? Will it be like the addition of new Mech's now, where they are suddenly available for cbills, or will achievements be required to earn them?

#66 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Anyone00, you're information is incorrect. There is no space issue with any official BT mech that would require any sort of space adjustment. The only rule in place in CBT that isn't in MWO that relates to this is arm/torso sharing of massive system space, which is limited to the 20-class ACs and the big artillery systems. The Marauder's dorsal cannon mount has always been in the Right Torso even though the pics make it look center-line; and the Annihilator's ACs are 1 in each arm and 1 in each side torso...look closely and you'll see the size difference in the arm barrels for the ACs and lasers and you'll also see the large cannon ports in the torsos.

#67 Big Giant Head

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationingalaxyfarfaraway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

1) Dropship mode

How would Dropship mode visually looked like? Do you have relese date? Is it in progress?

2) Battlegrid

Battlegrids are something that you as Devs decided to add new to the MW games and as that you can add anything to it because it didnt exist in TT as well. That is something that nobody actualy had experience to use it so much as you wanted to.
Well, do you have any plans for it? To change display or add more command features ( being able to send air support and stuff like that).

3) Information warfare equipment and cockpit animations

Im sure that there is a lot of fun stuff to use when you look at information warfare section (UAV, IFF jammer, passive sensor). Basicaly, your opinion about it (Do you want do add anything more that we didnt saw in earlier versions of Mechwarrior games?). Cockpit animations - here, nothing to much just a couple of animation to bring that mechwarrior (sitting over there) to life.

Sry for the post up there i accidentally double it so i had to delete it

4) C3 and communication

Its good that people use ts3 and some other comm programs as well (Raidcall...), but what if we have communication between players that is controled by the game? Like, "ECM can disable communications between enemy lancemates". Do you have any solution? Would C3 offer something that other communication programs cannot, so that you can attract player to use ingame communication instead alternative.

5) Lasers

Can we have option to decide laser duration manualy, while in combat, when we fire it? Like if you are in situation where you know that you cannot be able to fire the full duration laser and decide to fire just a bit of it.
Imagine you have cooldown bar of laser devided in 3 sections. When you fire the laser (and hold the button) that bar starts to fill. Now:
-first section represents short duration (tap a button), less heat , less dmg, lower cooldown
-second represents normal duration (tap<x<2 secs), normal heat , normal dmg, normal cooldown
-third section represents extended duration(2 secs<x<4 or 5 secs), greater heat, greater dmg, greater cooldown

Edited by Big Giant Head, 08 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#68 Atayu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

There are allot of good questions here, But I never did see the most important one. When will There be a tab for forming your merc group in game. I ask this because there are many big merc units at this point and how they form if there is limits on numbers and such we need to start figuring out how to set them up. Community is what holds a MMO together. Right now the game has very very little that gives it community units are having to go out and use other software to do such.

#69 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Can you please provide details on any future founder like packages that those of us late to the party can purchase to support the game. The sooner you release these the sooner you can take (more of) my money.

#70 ReaverLord

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Like everything else, resource is a limiting factor. I guess Gregory rather have the company spend time on answering questions than dedicate more cycles to addressing issues.

I rather commend companies that put effort into timely responses to the public. A good company knows their limits and tries to do both. Free to play games is one model, however their resources are limited and they don't have a cash cow like Blizzard and enormous coffers to pay community managers.

My question: Is damage too high? in shooters the players feel powerful taking down the enemies with one or two shots...the amount of players relying on alpha strikes is relatively high. Even good teams are dumping as much damage as possible as a strategy. Shouldn't mech battle take some time? these 100 ton mechs are goliath's in the field and should be able to take a dish out punishment in epic propotions like godzilla and mothra.

Would slowing down the battle hurt or help the genre?

View PostGregory Owen, on 08 January 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

as a beta tester, i provide an unbiased opinion, i'm here to try to provide feedback on fixing issues before a program goes gold.

the biggest complaint i see right now is the lack of communication, and now they're limiting the amount of questions answered and how often they will be answered..

i don't want to see a paragraph answer on some stupid off topic question like what your dogs favorite food is or what you guys do in your free time. this needs to be professional and to the point. CLEAR COMMUNICATION.

cherry picking answers like this just looks sloppy. they should go throgh the entire thread and give brief answers for EVERY question.

#71 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

1) Now that gauss rifle crits are working as intended, are there plans to implement a method for powering down the gauss to prevent explosions? (Same with dumping ammo.)

2) When we sell a Mech in the MechLab we do not receive any c-bills for upgrades (DHS, endo, etc.) we have purchased while we are paid for custom weapons and equipment. Is this working as intended? If so, can you explain the reasoning?

3) What are your plans for how Clan LRMs will function? In TT they're half the weight of Inner Sphere LRMs and have no minimum range. Using current implementation as a model, Clan SSRM6's have the potential to be devastating enough. But what are practically Streak-LRM20 racks... boated on a scout? Ouch.

#72 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

1 - Any thoughts on using Modules to solve problems? Here are some possible examples:

Hardened Electronics - Makes the mech resistant (not immune) to emp effects from PPCs, and allows the mech to target hostiles under an ECM envelope (would let them use Streaks and TAG and such, at ECM-reduced lock-on speeds, but not share data).

Boosted Comms - Allows a mech to share target data while under hostile ECM cover.

Gyro Stabilizer - Reduces the received impulse of incoming fire (missiles, ACs, etc.), and eventually reduces the negative mobility effects of collisions (once they're added back in).

2 - Any thoughts on making the Command Console be a counter to ECM? For instance, a mech with a CC might be able to target and share data despite hostile ECM coverage, but at a reduced rate (longer lock-on times, longer wait times to detailed target info, etc.) and/or shorter range. Such a mech would have a symbol appear near it (similar to the current ECM label), marking it as a command mech and making it vulnerable to being deliberately targeted by the enemy.

#73 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

1. When are we going to see a functioning command module, and what might we expect it to do?

2. When will the game have some peripheral support for things like joysticks, throttles and pedals?

BTW... I like ECM.

#74 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

After Assault and Domination how about introducing the La Mancha Scenario as an additional match scenario? :P

#75 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Oops, posted my questions and forgot that I had another...

3. Is there a chance that we might be able to have an option to buy mech paint colors and camo patterns permanently and for multiple mech use, versus the current single time, single mech purchase?

BTW... I still like ECM.

#76 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

There is a huge dispute about the purposes of Assault mode. Some players believe the mode is set up as a Capture the Flag style game with the base capture mechanic taking the place of the flag. Others, however, insists that Assault is a team deathmatch and that the bases are only there as a last resort so as to not have to play hide and seek with last light mech that “cowardly runs away”. The recent changes in the C-bill rewards (eliminating capture bonuses while boosting combat bonuses) have only enflaimed the controversy with threats of team killing anyone who attempts a base capture. What is PGI’s official position on the purpose of Assault mode?

PGI’s stated goal was to create a game that involved “role warfare”. However, the current setup of both Assault and Conquest modes do not encourage any other strategy beyond “blobbing” where each team brings in the biggest mechs that deal the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time, thus causing both modes to play out as team deathmatches. What are PGI’s plans to encourage more “role warfare” and create niches for medium and fast heavy mechs and discourage every game mode from becoming some variation of team deathmatch?

#77 costi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Allow me to start with a quote from the DevBlog on Role Warfare:

As players play through matches, they earn XP for their BattleMechs. XP is gained by performing various tasks within a match and bonus XP can be gained by being successful at the end of the match. Bonus XP can be gained from the meta-game which can give XP based on faction/allegiance to a House.

After each match XP is stored in the last BattleMech used. This pool of XP can be spent on BattleMech efficiencies. Each BattleMech chassis has its own pool of XP and custom Tech Tree. At certain branch points in the BattleMech Tech Tree, a Pilot Point is awarded to the player.

Each branch under the BattleMech’s Tech Tree represents attributes that fall into the Role Categories described earlier on.

Pilot Points that are unlocked in the BattleMech Tech Tree are then assigned to the player’s pilot avatar (MechWarrior).

Now the player can use the Pilot Points to unlock pilot abilities in the Pilot Skill tree. As abilities are purchased, Modules are unlocked in the store.

Again, the branches in the Pilot Skill Tree represent attributes that fall into the Role Categories described earlier on.

And the question: when can we expect the XP system to function at least similarly to the above? Custom Mech trees, with choices, (not a simple stack with generic skills which all need to be unlocked anyway), pilot modules that are tied to the mech tree (ie. unlocking Attack skills gives access to Attack modules) and all the rest that was mentioned in the article?

And second question: the game is missing some key functionalities expected in an online shooter: in-game chatroom/lobby, single-key messages, simple group forming with a separate chat channel (also in battle) atc. Will these come with UI2.0? If not, when can we expect them?

#78 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Answer Tolkiens question. Thats my question.

#79 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Q.is there plan on a in game chat lobby if so any idea when this will be put in.

#80 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Can I hope to see my beloved Crusader in the game at any point?
It is alot like the Catapult - I know.
But it also has its own unique builds and options aswell as an ECM veriant (CRD-7L to be exact)
And seeing that the ¨only¨ mechs that work now are ECM equipped mechs, it just makes sense to add it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users