#21 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

All builds with the exception of 8T updated according to the latest patch. Alternative builds added to most variants, as well as a theoretical build for Pretty Baby. Enjoy.

#22 Onlyasandwich

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I bought the 8T a while back planning to turn it into a bigger HBK-SP, but found myself not able to fit everything I wanted to justify the difference.

Since the engine cap raise, this mech has a new lease on life, and I've been enjoying this build:

LL X4
SRM6+Artemis X2
Std 300
18 dbl heat sinks
Endosteel

The extra bit of engine power is noticable in my speed, but more importantly my torso twist. That, combined with the upgrades to AWS twisting in general really gives it a smooth bead. The extra room for engine heat sinks finally let me squeeze in enough to keep the LL heat under reasonable control. I had to shave some leg and arm armor, as well as only drop in 2 tons of SRM ammo to make it all fit, but I'm happy with the trade-off thus far.

60.7 kph with no elite is nothing to sneeze at for such a twisty assault.

#23 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

After the Awesome and PPC buffs I think I'm going to have to get one, even if its always been the weaker assault mech (imo). Just need to decide which one, 9M is sooo pricy, so I'll probably have to go with the 8Q or 8R..

#24 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostOp4blushift, on 05 February 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

After the Awesome and PPC buffs I think I'm going to have to get one, even if its always been the weaker assault mech (imo). Just need to decide which one, 9M is sooo pricy, so I'll probably have to go with the 8Q or 8R..

Both are very good variants, but keep in mind that 9M has never disappointed anyone AFAIK.

8V is probably my least favorite variant, and I ended up selling it for PB.

#25 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

With the AWS chassis buffs and the PB, I can't see myself playing any other mech for the foreseeable future. They were always fun. Now they're really damn fun.

I think I'm gonna make my 8Q a dedicated PPC boat. Chain fired PPCs really makes enemy mechs angry. It's amazing how quickly you can take apart an Atlas with PPC fire.

#26 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 February 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

I think I'm gonna make my 8Q a dedicated PPC boat. Chain fired PPCs really makes enemy mechs angry. It's amazing how quickly you can take apart an Atlas with PPC fire.

The sweet thing about triple PPC, the loadout 8Q is designed around, is that PPC has a precisely three-second cooldown.

Which means when chainfiring, you can burst ten damage EVERY SECOND until you overheat, which would take a long while after the PPC buff.

Dayum son!

#27 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Do you guys think it's worth buying the advanced zoom module for the 8Q PPC boat? I've read mixed opinions about this module, but 4x zoom with the PPC's pinpoint damage capability is tempting.

#28 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I have it on my 8Q PPC boat and I almost never use it. And when I do I'm not sure it makes any difference. The digital zoom doesn't do anything, really. So only buy it when you have a lot of cbills to spare and just can't kill your curiousity :lol:

#29 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostPkunk, on 19 February 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

I have it on my 8Q PPC boat and I almost never use it. And when I do I'm not sure it makes any difference. The digital zoom doesn't do anything, really. So only buy it when you have a lot of cbills to spare and just can't kill your curiousity :lol:

Fact: whatever 8Q PPCboat does, 9M does it better.

#30 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

Just wanted to add my own 2-cents on the PB!

I had a hard time coming up with a solid build for the strange girl. I eventually came up with two different ways of playing her that I've found work for me.

Brawler Build

This uses a big block XL385 and mounts 2xLLAS and 3xSRM6s to get the job done. It moves fast, hits hard, and has plenty of sinks to keep it going. All in all, not a terrible workhorse. Like a very fast 8R with less punch.

A few problems though. The mixed hard points do make close in brawling and sudden adjustments to your aim difficult. The 4-tube launcher on the arm staggers the SRM6s slightly. Not a huge prob, but you can go down to SRM4s to keep it clean and roll the tonnage back into your legs or more ammo/sinks.

The biggest challenge it faces is the same as all brawler Awesomes, it's so big. I'm not a huge fan of getting in close with the Awesome, you just get hit with everything. The 8R can make it worth your while with 4xSRM6s with Art, but the weird staggered fire and XL liability of the PB makes brawling a little more dicey. Again, not terrible, but you do need to watch it.

Artillery Build

This is what I'm currently using. A mix of PPCs and LRMs+TAG to provide heavy support to the more durable mechs leading the charge. The engine drops down to an XL350 which is still plenty quick for Assault standards, but doesn't take advantage of everything the PB can offer.

This build was made as a concession to the fact that the PB just was a little too fragile to brawl with, moving it back behind the lines but still capable of heavy damage. Using the PPCs and LRMs together you get a good mix of direct focus damage, and the general chaos of missiles. You get to snipe poptarters, put the pressure on campers, and absolutely decimate anyone in the open.

The LRMs are arranged in a specific manner. A pair of LRM5s in the arm make more sense than a single 10 or 15 due to the tubes. with two LRM5s you get one burst of 8 LRMs followed by 2 chasers. With a LRM10 you get two bursts of 4 and a 2 follow up - all of which gets eaten alive by AMS.

This build has been pretty successful for me and might be a good way of running your PB if you find its brawling lackluster. I've been toying with the idea of dropping a heatsink and a little armour to fit in a BAP.

#31 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostBanky, on 11 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

I plopped down 20m c-bills for my 9M and to upgrade/outfit it the first night. It was just a simple 3LL, 3MPL XL385 build and it was worth every penny of that. The mech just rocks.

Sounds like my 9M build of choice. After spending probably close to 80M CBills in total on builds for my 3 Awesomes, it's still my favorite. I run a 3LL 3ML build and love every minute of it.

Runs stupid fast? [X]
High pinpoint alpha? [X]
Excellent heat efficiency? [X]
Assault-class armor? [X]

I'd say I run this build about 8 out of 10 times I get the urge to run an Awesome. I also run my 8R when I'm in the mood to be the bane of ECM scouts everywhere. 8Q is just on troll build duty. Ever since the Stalker came out I haven't run my 6PPC build that I ground master out on. Only occasionally I'll run a 6LPL 1ML build and go hugging defenseless LRM or PPC boats just for kicks.

#32 Random Incarnate

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

Builds of the moment:

9M: XL340, 3xERPPC, 3xSSRM2. As many DHS as you can stuff in.

8R: 2ML, TAG, 4xALRM15, STD 240, 1440 rounds LRM.

The 9M is fast enough to run down heavies and most med builds, although I'm finding my PPCs aren't hitting stationary targets right now, so this one's on the backburner until state rewind is in (305ms ping, Australia). The 8R, on the other hand... works at about 250-400m (Adv. Sensor module to deal with ECM), raining down hell on anything that wants to munch on you. For some reason, people are ignoring my 8R, and teammates seem to be useful enough to keep the enemy off me. You'd think it's shockingly slow and would never survive, but I'm topping out most matches.

I'm honestly tempted now to pick up an 8V or 8T, the two variants I'd dismissed earlier.

#33 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

So I ran a 8R, first like Random Incarnate as a 4 ALRM15 boat that did sometimes get engaged then as a 2LL, 4 ASRM6 like Helmstif. Here is the currently garaged version.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...344c59611fd37f4

Been working on designing others to see what I would like to try next, might get at least 1 more 8 model then try a 9M or PB though those two I have had a tough time making. All my designs were redone a few times, all made trying to get good Cooling after my 8R experience, I hardly overheat in the 8R and that is how I like it, I don't know why some players run builds that overheat a lot, I see it in battles and it just makes you a target.

I also max armor everywhere but the legs, most players don't shoot there.

I do NOT put ammo in the legs because if you do get legged, ammo explosions only help that to happen. I would rather have the CASE.

And a lot of space on the 8 models tend to nearly PACK all the slots.

Some of the builds I did today inspired by running the Trial STK-4N with its mixed range weapons that I believe would be good especially for the larger Alpine and Desert maps. In comparison, there are no LLs but the LRM is bigger to use for softening targets while closing, close range weapons similar, might have Artemis, better Cooling, faster, better torso twisting than a Stalker and while the Awesome is wide, the Stalker is long so that is a similar weakness. I figure if you can run a stock STK-4N either new or for grinding, these should be OK.

Here is an 8Q I worked out, the TAG could be switched for a ML if I didn't want to spot, very simple layout either way.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2917559a09f5a08

I worked out 2 8Rs never tried inspired by the Stalker, first there is this one using a LRM15 to soften up targets while closing for the other weapons.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10a1cc5f31e90b1

Also made this but using 2 LRM10s instead, equal to a LRM20 but for less tonnage.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a772040ff31a6f3

The 8T was a somewhat tough build, first I came up with this using the Streaks as light Mech deterents. Similar cooling as the 8R I ran but the lowest of my builds.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0f496ab5b4c3c94

Another but with fewer LLs, it is like the 8T version of the popular 8R with a bit better Cooling.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...22e4c4efdb46573

This was at first the best 8V I could make, obviously a LRM boat. Other versions did not get Cooling and Damage numbers I liked compared to this and no room for Artemis.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f75818f46ed1b3c

Inspired by the STK-4N, I now have this design.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e8516298f83d89e

9Ms are tough for me to make probably due to hardpoints especially the CT, currently have this design.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4d350a52449e39c

Or this.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c3c551137d2eff

This is the only PB I can come up with right now.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c3c551137d2eff

Given how tough it is for me to make a 9M/PB, I am holding off, if I cannot find one that suits me, I will just run a third 8.

#34 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

I've been running 2 large lasers (l/r torsos), 1 large pulse in the arm, 3 medium pulse in my 9m lately as I really wanted it to be a lasrerboat. Still running an xl380 and 21dhs.

I like it better than the 3ll, 3srm4, 1 mpl it replaced and now that missle damage is down I like it even better.

#35 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 20 February 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

Fact: whatever 8Q PPCboat does, 9M does it better.

My 5 PPC 8Q begs to differ. It can alpha twice before going critical, and if you chain fire you've basically got a lightning bolt machine gun. But you really need a good team to be effective because you're crap at close range. This build will teach you heat management, but it is great fun in the right situations. One alpha can kill most lights if you can hit them.

Anyway, I haven't driven my Awesomes lately because I'm working on the Jagers, but here are my current prefered builds if anyone cares:

PB
XL370
2 LPLs
1 ML
3 SRM6s

It's a damn brawler, so you just have to play it accordingly. It's ok on Alpine if you've got good situational awareness, but it works really well on Tourmaline because although it's a huge map, there are lots of opportunities for close range brawling.

9M
XL320
3 LPLs
3 SRM4s

Again, it's a damn brawler. I tried the long range game with both the PB and 9M, but I have the most fun getting in close and mixing it up.

The only real problem comes when the matchmaker puts you as the only Assault when everyone else is mediums and lights. The Awesomes are most effective imo when the both teams are composed mainly of heavies and assaults.

Edited by NRP, 23 March 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#36 liku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have a similar PB build:
instead i put 2 SRM4 ( i have Artemis..sometime i take some LRMs' ^_ö )
2 LPL
1 MPL

work nice as a backstabber :P 2 alpha before the warning.

It's pretty (oh oh) agile, but for so few weapons..you have to make so much weapon group to make for the convergence issue:
1 for the SRMs
1 for the ARM LPL
1 for the torso LPG
1 for both torso
and finally one for the MPL

that way you can save heat and dont waste your shots... not the actual alpha trend... but if you play it well, and torso tweast a lot, you can pull more alpha and more deadly accurate shots :wub:

#37 TheNoobLord

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

my favourite awesome build of all time, absolutely rocks
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...13084acb8adc760

Edited by TheNoobLord, 30 March 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#38 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Updated with my favourite PB build.

Also, just bought 9M, current running 3xPPC. Not exactly happy with the result for the time being.

#39 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 30 March 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Updated with my favourite PB build.

Also, just bought 9M, current running 3xPPC. Not exactly happy with the result for the time being.

Try running it as a laserboat instead. I've been running my 9M with a STD335 (yeah blasphemy), 2LLs, 4MPLs and 21 DHS and its a lot of fun. Group fire the LLs as you walk in. Chain-fire spam your MPLs at close range - and laugh at the guys that keep shooting your shoulders. You'll still run around at 75kph so it's still fairly fast and agile.

#40 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostBanky, on 30 March 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Try running it as a laserboat instead. I've been running my 9M with a STD335 (yeah blasphemy), 2LLs, 4MPLs and 21 DHS and its a lot of fun. Group fire the LLs as you walk in. Chain-fire spam your MPLs at close range - and laugh at the guys that keep shooting your shoulders. You'll still run around at 75kph so it's still fairly fast and agile.

I'd rather go with XL380, 3XLL plus 3xSRM4. I honestly don't trust MPL for brawling. But 21DHS is indeed very heat efficient....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users