[Guide] The Ultimate Awesome Guide

241 replies to this topic

#41 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

So I actually did end up getting an 8R and an 8Q. Saving up for the 9M right now, but I can vouch for Helmstif's 8R srm boat build (The alternative build isn't bad either, but the LRM nerf has severely weakened it imo) Haven't tried any of the 8Q builds as I don't have endo on it and I've found a few builds I like a bit that don't need it.
Here are the main ones I use

4LL build. Simple, but damn effective.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e5ee094d8999de

7MPL build. Bit of a joke build, but the 42 point alpha can rip things apart pretty quickly if you manage to get in close. I wish I could to something with those 5 extra tons though..
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc6d2c413668df7

3PPC build. 9M probably does is better because of the extra speed, but I find this build works really well and its probably my favourite out of the 3.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...88fb07c299cd242
(can exchange one of the ppcs for an er since you are pretty screwed if someone gets in under 90m)

#42 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Swap a medium pulse in the arm for a large pulse and your gtg on that 8q

#43 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 30 March 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

I'd rather go with XL380, 3XLL plus 3xSRM4. I honestly don't trust MPL for brawling. But 21DHS is indeed very heat efficient....

I still run mine with an XL380 when I know I'm not going to have to be the big damage-soaker in the group - but it all kind of boils down to roles. If you're going to brawl, it's a lot safer in a standard engine in the AWS. No two ways about it -- and the MPLs when you can spam them might surprise you. They're nasty. The build looks light on firepower, but it's a lot better than it looks.

#44 krolmir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

8V build:

3LLasers
3SRM 6 with 5 tons ammo
300 STD engine
Endo Steel
As many DHS as you can fit. 1.25 HE
49 armor on each leg rest is maxxed
Makes a great Mid-Short Range brawler

#45 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostOp4blushift, on 30 March 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

but I can vouch for Helmstif's 8R srm boat build

I also did the 2LL, 4ASRM6 8R, if you chain fire all weapons in 2 groups, you can manage heat VERY well though I think the missile nerf may have changed which 8 series Awesomes are the best, it used to be the 8R but now it could be the 8Q or 8T.

With the 8R, you can also peek around a corner with the arm LLs and it cuts down the large size of your front making it harder to hit you. I have also debated but not tried TAG in the head if someone needs it, you could poke you head over a ridge for TAGing and not expose a lot of the Mech.

#46 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I've got that exact same build, krolmir. It works well (it was even better before the missile nerf). I just wish I could squeeze Artemis in there with a STD300 though.

#47 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

my pb build - brawler
xl340
dhs 18
lpl
mpl
3 srm6 + Artemis
Tag
ams

enjoyable build but might take out the tag.

8R tracking brawler
std 240
2x LL
ml
4x Streak srm2
ams
28 heatsinks

Very fun build again, obv weakness to ecm but still damn fun used to run the more familiar srm brawler build which is amazing running at .84 k/d with this girl so shes nice.

8v sniper
std240
dhs 18
3 erppc
1mpl
2x streak srm2
beagle active probe
ams

Great at med-long range and surprisingly ok at close range 1st mech to get reliable headshots with been gearing up and running xp on 6 diff mechs so after this weekend i get to focus totally on upgrading and will try the xl engine builds etc.
keeping all 3 awesomes was surprised at how much fun they are and unlike dragons for instance have alot of viable builds.

#48 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

@Helmstif
Something is wrong with PPCs in my experience. They just don't feel like they do full damage all the time. Very inconsistent.

I second Banky's advice. Try a laser build on your 9M.

Edited by NRP, 31 March 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#49 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Been running an 8T now, oddly I am liking it better than the 8R.
Despite the previous 2 I posted on page 2, I am using 2LL, 3ML, 2ALRM5. I do not get to use the LRM5s sometimes but they are easier to use with keyboard than SRMs so close in I just focus on lasers and heat is managed better, even better than the 8R.

Edited by Merchant, 31 March 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#50 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Tried brawling with 9M. Yeah, brawling with XL is a terrible idea...thus went back to PPCs, though this time I have 1xERPPC in arm and twin normal ones in torso. Since I managed to unlock speed tweak, now it finally feels like a functional Assault.

View PostMerchant, on 31 March 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Been running an 8T now, oddly I am liking it better than the 8R.
Despite the previous 2 I posted on page 2, I am using 2LL, 3ML, 2ALRM5. I do not get to use the LRM5s sometimes but they are easier to use with keyboard than SRMs so close in I just focus on lasers and heat is managed better, even better than the 8R.

A side note. You wanna head something funny? Today I built a Centurion 9A that is basically 2/3 of your build (1xERPPC, 2xML and 2xALRM5), but runs like two times faster. Also you're carrying way more DHS than you need.

#51 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostOp4blushift, on 30 March 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

7MPL build. Bit of a joke build, but the 42 point alpha can rip things apart pretty quickly if you manage to get in close. I wish I could to something with those 5 extra tons though..
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc6d2c413668df7

3PPC build. 9M probably does is better because of the extra speed, but I find this build works really well and its probably my favourite out of the 3.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...88fb07c299cd242
(can exchange one of the ppcs for an er since you are pretty screwed if someone gets in under 90m)

I'd just toss in a BAP and a extra ton of AMS ammo in the legs to use up some of that tonnage on the MPLAS build. I know you are running a brawling set-up, but BAP is nice for pinging out enemies at a distance for friendly snipers/LRMs. 2 tons of AMS is overkill, but hey, you might as well get something for the tonnage.

And you are correct, the 9M is the superior 3xPPC delivery system and I vouch for the build with all my heart (XL385+Endo what up!) but, the 8Q can be the better 4xPPC boat. With Endo and 448 armour you can cram 4 PPCs in the chest and 19 DHS. Having all 4 in the chest gives you a devastating punch with excellent convergence and two arms to shield yourself with. Of course, you can't fight on a hill thanks to the Awesome's stiff vertical traversal.

The 4xPPC 8Q is a straight gimmick build, I'm not recommending it as a serious contender. But if you're messing with your 8Q and trying different things, it might be worth a laugh (make sure to stock up on coolant!)

Edited by Wrenchfarm, 31 March 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#52 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 31 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

I'd just toss in a BAP and a extra ton of AMS ammo in the legs to use up some of that tonnage on the MPLAS build. I know you are running a brawling set-up, but BAP is nice for pinging out enemies at a distance for friendly snipers/LRMs. 2 tons of AMS is overkill, but hey, you might as well get something for the tonnage.

And you are correct, the 9M is the superior 3xPPC delivery system and I vouch for the build with all my heart (XL385+Endo what up!) but, the 8Q can be the better 4xPPC boat. With Endo and 448 armour you can cram 4 PPCs in the chest and 19 DHS. Having all 4 in the chest gives you a devastating punch with excellent convergence and two arms to shield yourself with. Of course, you can't fight on a hill thanks to the Awesome's stiff vertical traversal.

The 4xPPC 8Q is a straight gimmick build, I'm not recommending it as a serious contender. But if you're messing with your 8Q and trying different things, it might be worth a laugh (make sure to stock up on coolant!)

I did think about putting BAP on the 7MPL build, but I've just decided to leave it as is. Since I'm grinding for the 9M
I'm literally not spending C-bills on anything.

I might try the 4PPC build, its just that I'd have to get endo and that would mean some of the builds I use right now wouldn't work as well or they would have a lot of wasted tonnage (I know the 7MPL already does). I'll probably start seriously experimenting with the 8Q when I have the 9M since it can do a lot of the builds I have on the 8Q (and better),

#53 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 31 March 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Also you're carrying way more DHS than you need.

I like the amount of DHS because it keeps me running cooler than some. I see too many people overheating making them easy targets and plan not to be one of them.

#54 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have been running a 9m with 4 LPL. It is harder to me than a PPC build and if you get caught in the open you will get torn apart. But, when you play smart and your team supports you then you can rip stuff up. I have taken many Atlases and Stalkers apart with good use of cover and heat management.

#55 Korlandril

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 110 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

The 9M I use is a different kinda beastie for sure, but damn is it effective.

I use the 320 XL engine with 20 double heatsinks.

3 standard PPC.
2 medium pulse lasers (center torso uni-beam weapon)
1 medium laser ( in the head)
srm 4 in the left arm.

the three standard PPC's, are really awesome for barrage fire. Remeber they dont do less damage than there ER counterparts. and its isnt very hard to stay 90 metres away from somone either.

Up close the medium pulse laser unibeam it deceptivly powerful...with the two of them firing together, thats a 12 point pulse laser blast...better than a large pulse laser...and for only 4 tons.

the medium laser and srm 4 are decent low heat back up weapons for when you need to cool off as well.

Using standard PPC's has turned into a wonderful idea, with the 20 double heatsinks you can fire them on chain fire almost constantly, it is a devastating machine when you get the hang of it.

#56 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

That's like 4 weapon groups? How do you manage that many? I generally never go with more that 3 weapon groups.

#57 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Currently grinding XP on my 3 Awesome builds. They're somewhat circumstantial but very effective if allowed to work:

8Q AWS-8QV
STD300
3x LPL
4x ML
AMS
19x DBL HS
Endo

The speed to get into a brawl and guns to stay there. Can alpha twice then chain LPL's to drop heat.
Biggest problem is getting into a 1v1 and needs careful piloting to achieve it, not to mention good cover fire from your team.

8T AWS-8TV
STD240
2x ERPPC
2x ML
1x LRM20/Arty
AMS
BAP
16x DBL HS

Fundamentally fire support. Slow so relies on stand-off capability. Good with a balanced force or a lot of skirmishers. Weak against hunter-killer packs of lights. Heat management necessary at mid range.
Would like to add TAG but the extra HS is crucial.

8R AWS-8RV
STD 240
4x LRM15/Arty
3x ML
11x DBL HS
Endo

Generic missle boat. Good softener for smaller mechs to make the finishing kill. ECM is a killer but anything straying outside its range will get streams of indirect artillery.
Really weak close in.
Tweaks: dump 1t ammo or a ML for TAG. She's already weak if caught up close so loss of ML might not be terrible - I havn't tried it yet.

All these variants are capable of mid-300's+. I've peaked the R and T at 500 and the Q over 600 but only when both teams play to your advantage.
If the Q gets good cover it's lethal.

Edited by Vimeous, 01 April 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#58 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Well, I have found the Brawler versions of the 8T and 8V, simply their version of the 8R.

8T
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b14054cf5ee814

8V
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...906b1dba2d96198

Yes, SRM4 to offset the heat from the MLs, all SRMs and MLs are grouped together. While the 8R has had its day, with the missile nerf these two may be contenders against it though the 8R can still corner shoot the LLs. The 8V ran the hottest and the MLs are why I needed extra heat ability.

#59 DocGiggles

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

AWS-9M

I'm really liking this 3xPPC 9M. I feel like SPLs are overlooked too often - they're extremely effective in clusters, and are remarkably low-heat. In addition, their 90m range makes them a perfect pairing with PPCs.

A cluster of three, like this one, does the same damage as an SRM6 (Faster, since the SRM6 on the 9M will fire in waves of two missiles), higher DPS overall, is easier to land hits with, and requires no tonnage-eating ammo, letting me fit another heat sink in the arm. Still, heat could be an issue, but I rarely will be firing both my PPCs and SPLs at the same time.

Alternatively, 2xMPLs in the torso (minus the arm DHS) is an even more powerful close-range defender, though it is easy to run up the heat with this. I switch between these two pulse setups and SRM6 frequently, but I'm really liking the pulses more.

Edited by DocGiggles, 01 April 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#60 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostDocGiggles, on 01 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

AWS-9M

I'm really liking this 3xPPC 9M. I feel like SPLs are overlooked too often - they're extremely effective in clusters, and are remarkably low-heat. In addition, their 90m range makes them a perfect pairing with PPCs.

A cluster of three, like this one, does the same damage as an SRM6 (Faster, since the SRM6 on the 9M will fire in waves of two missiles), higher DPS overall, is easier to land hits with, and requires no tonnage-eating ammo, letting me fit another heat sink in the arm. Still, heat could be an issue, but I rarely will be firing both my PPCs and SPLs at the same time.

Alternatively, 2xMPLs in the torso (minus the arm DHS) is an even more powerful close-range defender, though it is easy to run up the heat with this. I switch between these two pulse setups and SRM6 frequently, but I'm really liking the pulses more.

It's not actually a bad idea to try and squeeze in some smalls, but I think regular SLAS are uniformly better that SPLAS (other than the look). Looking at the weaponsbay tab in smurfy, your SPLAS have a DPS of 3.7 while 3 regular SLAS have a DPS of 3, but weight half as much.

The beam duration is already very short on regular SLAS, I just don't see SPLAS being much of an advantage. You could roll the 1.5 tons saved over to go up to a XL385 (obviously not worth the expense in your case, but maybe to someone following your build) or just put it back in the armour.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users