• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I blew off the 1X all this time in favor of all other variants including Muromets hero. What a mistake. 300 standard engine hauling 76 kph with 5 medium lasers and an AC20 and heat efficiency of 1.2 with the DHS. All weapons primed for exactly same range of 270m or less. Shoots the 5 lasers together at least 5 times in succession before overheating (at a cost of only 5 tons!) for 25 points damage not counting the freaking AC20! No XL engine means you have to core the center torso protected with 70 points of armor. What a beast. First real brawler I like. It is melting other mechs.

#2 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

I often use the same config, excellent brawler.

#3 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Theoretically I found its hardpoint layout uninteresting. But realistically, when you pilot it, it's very interesting.

#4 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Of all the phracts I actually dislike the 1X the most.

Maybe because it's always shooting all its lasers at me. Always.

Idk maybe I'm being biased, but I mastered my phracts with Ilya > 4X > 2X. I consider the 3D to be a novelty... some people seem to like it though.

I wonder if you'll be able to pop a celebratory spider campaign after patch...

#5 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 15 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Of all the phracts I actually dislike the 1X the most.

Maybe because it's always shooting all its lasers at me. Always.

Idk maybe I'm being biased, but I mastered my phracts with Ilya > 4X > 2X. I consider the 3D to be a novelty... some people seem to like it though.

I wonder if you'll be able to pop a celebratory spider campaign after patch...

I have love the Ily, and the -4X, I used a -3D to master, but I'm reserving judgement until jump jets are fixed. Right now its kind of meh.

I went off and mastered all of the mediums so I haven't revisited the rest of the phracts yet.

#6 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Ilya is my OTP because of UAC5.

My MWO life is basically:

UAC5 + Posing Fabulously + Harping on Skype into the ears of my unfortunate teammates.

Worked for me so far, although I can sometimes be seen in my SRM-ing DDC.

ILYA UAC5 OTP FOREVER

... Until RAC5 that is

#7 Penneywize

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

I run something similar, but with the 3D variant (and with Jump Jets!); AC/20 with 5 tons of ammo and two Large Lasers. Works like a dream.

#8 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

I've actually once seen a 3D use jumpjets OFFENSIVELY... It was quite funny and ridiculous at the same time.

It would actually have been scary if it was not so beaten up and if I hadn't shot its legs off in mid-air but that's another thing...

Although, I think the guy actually did respectable damage in the end.

#9 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

3D is my jump jets sniper. Muromets is my grounded sniper. 2X is all-around multi role mech. It can be configured to LRM, snipe, brawl, or whatever you can imagine. 4x is the ballistics dream when you want to get Clint Eastwood or Matrix on someone. But 1X seems to brawl better than the others at close range, even better than Muroments or 4X brawler popping all kinds of foolish cannons.

#10 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

I hate them all except the 4X... 4 AC5's or AC5/UAC5 combo I do well with, all the others I'm suffering through to master the 4X

#11 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

I find the 2X to be a nice strike-n-go though. Pop out of nowhere, empty missiles and shoot some lazors, click the resident ballistics a bit then walk off at 80+ kmph.

The only problem I have with the line of phracts right now is...

NONE OF THEM HAVE FOUR UAC5 MOUNTABLE HARDPOINTS! qq etc.

ARRGGHWARBL

Still waiting for that Jagermech...

#12 Tarman

• 2,080 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostSpinning Burr, on 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Theoretically I found its hardpoint layout uninteresting. But realistically, when you pilot it, it's very interesting.

It's like most things, the paper and the dirtside don't always line up. Theories only get you so far, then they need field testing for good or ill. Glad you found a new favourite ride, pilot.

#13 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 15 January 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

ARRGGHWARBL

Still waiting for that Jagermech...

This

Although by weight jager is going to have a hell of a time mounting 36 tons of gun before ammo.

#14 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 15 January 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

I hate them all except the 4X... 4 AC5's or AC5/UAC5 combo I do well with, all the others I'm suffering through to master the 4X

I love mounting up the 4X with AC5/UAC5 in each arm completely filling up all the critical slots with 2 cannons. Then put a large laser in center torso, you know just as a courtesy to help you aim your gattling gun. You can spew almost 30 points in one wad and then still continue to machine gun with your dual UAC5's while the other stuff recharges. AC5 x 4 is very clean and gives you a very wholesome and moral machine gun in chain fire. The only problem is if you succumb to your vice and blow all 4 cannons at once, you're left sitting there with nothing to fire for what seems like an awful long time, leaving you holding a perfectly good machine gun that you're not firing. Awkward.

#15 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 15 January 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

This Although by weight jager is going to have a hell of a time mounting 36 tons of gun before ammo.

Here's what will happen:

UAC5 X 4: 36T

UAC5 Ammo x 8: 8TT

AMS/AMSA: 1.5T

Basic Frame: 6.5T

TOTAL SO FAR: 52T

Remaining: 17T

Stick in XL 255: 12.5T, pretend to be a 4X with 4AC5s

2 MLAS because it's funny, 3.5 T left.

3.5T Armour, FINAL DESTINATION

I foresee large explosions in my future.

#16 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I roll a similar configuration but with a smaller engine (285?) and a Large Laser. It's nice to have at least one weapon that goes out a bit farther. It runs a little hot, but I manage to get by.

#17 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I really hope they fix JJs today. Rebought a 3D and mastered, reconfigured 2 Jenners and 2 Cats for max JJs, dreamt about the trebuchet. Will buy 3 spiders later tonight...

On topic: Got all phracts but the 1X :) i boat lasers on a F, 2A, 4P and a 9M.

#18 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostSpinning Burr, on 15 January 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I love mounting up the 4X with AC5/UAC5 in each arm completely filling up all the critical slots with 2 cannons. Then put a large laser in center torso, you know just as a courtesy to help you aim your gattling gun. You can spew almost 30 points in one wad and then still continue to machine gun with your dual UAC5's while the other stuff recharges. AC5 x 4 is very clean and gives you a very wholesome and moral machine gun in chain fire. The only problem is if you succumb to your vice and blow all 4 cannons at once, you're left sitting there with nothing to fire for what seems like an awful long time, leaving you holding a perfectly good machine gun that you're not firing. Awkward.

I see it differently - I see 4 AC5's as an AC/20 but with less than half the reload time (11.8 DPS instead of the 5 DPS you get out of an AC/20)
I find it easier to consistently hit with a single shot on CT than I do 4x those shots, so I tend to run them in alpha mode

I'd hate to be your girlfriend if you think 1.7 seconds is "an awfully long time"

#19 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

I agree with the op. If it weren't for the decision to finally exp also the Catapults (so I've wasted several cbills in A1, C1 and K2), I'd have buyed back an 1X. But I'll do it soon, I initially overlooked it because I found the 3D to be better (which I kept along with the Ilya), but 5Mlas + AC 20 on the 1x is in my dreams. I regret to have sold it away, as much as I don't regret getting rid of the 2X.

I however run my 3D with Ac 20, 3 Mlas, 1 LLAS and STD 280 + ENDO, which is basically the same build, just somewhat slower but more armored.

Edited by John MatriX82, 15 January 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#20 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Did we have a topic again? I thought we Cataphract enthusiasts just tripped over a few spiders and somehow ended up in the same SPACE_WESTERN_BAR.

My 4X runs with 4AC5. Ballistic phracts sometimes encounter crazy-silly arm convergence (missing at point blank due to insta-vergence), so I don't view em as brawlers.

There's always that eternal argument between the AC5 and UAC5 camps, as well as the "WE WANT SMALL COFFEE UAC MAKERS IN OUR MECHS!" people using both at once.

I've been in my Ilya for most of my MWO life, and sometimes I can get 3 jams in a row and survive, while other times I get no jams and somehow get instacored because I didn't notice the two gaussgons on the hill.

TBH I think things are fine as-is, I shell people at 270ping! If I could ask for anything it'd be giving us RAC5.

Because you know... It's like a UAC5... but more angry.

That's good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users