Please Stop With All The Negativity! You Are Killing This Game!

240 replies to this topic

#101 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 15 January 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Since when has PGI EVER added something they promised to add on time? They constantly give us dates and push them back. The netcode post is just a bunch of vague crap. The netcode has been an issue since CLOSED BETA. 7 months is more than enough time to tackle an issue that drives a lot of new players away. There is no training or anything, so a new pilot shoots a light mech and sees no damage, they either think the game is really laggy or the light pilot is cheating, and after 4 games of that crap they'll leave. Most of us understand the minor issues of weapon heat and game balance. ECM and NETCODE get the attention because 1. ECM was obviously not tested in QA enough (the artemis LRM debacle proves their QA is not very good) 2. The netcode issue has been around since the game went in to open beta. From what the dev posts seem to say, the netcode is not their number one issue, when they should have every available programmer tackling this extremely major issue to the game.

If I am wrong about that, then the devs need to CLEARLY STATE exactly what is wrong with the netcode, and how they are going to fix it. Basic generalities consisting of "we're looking in to it" are not going to cut it.

never being on time is definitely Industry Standard for games and gaming. Can't really fault PGI for that, being in such large company as EA and blizzard.

#102 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 15 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

So we have been told, "Let them eat cake"... That is priceless...

Just desserts.

#103 Les Grossman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 15 January 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Since when has PGI EVER added something they promised to add on time? They constantly give us dates and push them back. The netcode post is just a bunch of vague crap. The netcode has been an issue since CLOSED BETA. 7 months is more than enough time to tackle an issue that drives a lot of new players away. There is no training or anything, so a new pilot shoots a light mech and sees no damage, they either think the game is really laggy or the light pilot is cheating, and after 4 games of that crap they'll leave. Most of us understand the minor issues of weapon heat and game balance. ECM and NETCODE get the attention because 1. ECM was obviously not tested in QA enough (the artemis LRM debacle proves their QA is not very good) 2. The netcode issue has been around since the game went in to open beta. From what the dev posts seem to say, the netcode is not their number one issue, when they should have every available programmer tackling this extremely major issue to the game.

If I am wrong about that, then the devs need to CLEARLY STATE exactly what is wrong with the netcode, and how they are going to fix it. Basic generalities consisting of "we're looking in to it" are not going to cut it.

Just wanted to say as a guy who was in closed beta, and even worked with a QA team, PGI is not dedicated to doing anything other then spinning their lies, and damage control on their epic fails. I thank the netgods I got my money back! As was said over and over again in the previous forums, this is a Titanic that has hit an iceberg, they are just holding out to suck up a little more MC/CASH from the noobs and the blind fans.

Although it does give me fuzzy warmies to see NONE of the original folks even posting in the forums anymore, even precursor white knights have fled, lol. You just can't play a broken game day after day, month after month...the netcode/lagshield/rubbing banding has existed since they upgraded (LOL upgraded) cry-engine. It's frakking tragic folks, and I remember when they promised metagame before the end of 2012...that is how long I been here...keep up the good work guys!

#104 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

View PostxRaeder, on 15 January 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

All the game breaking problems such as black screen, yellow screen, missing map, low FPS should have been fixed before CB ended. They weren't.

Catapult doors are a graphical glitch and nothing more. So is the invisible bridge on River City.

People still DC before the game loads. In fact most of the issues that I mentioned were NEW issues that their patches introduced.

Came back today for 5 matches and I'm still not impressed. Back to Skyrim or some other game.

The game has more fundamental design problems such as random matchmaking and not doing BT justice by giving a sense of scale of the battles that we/I read about. That and craptastic "Conquest" mode which really can't be legitimately called Conquest without respawns.

THe mechs aren't even properly scaled, either.

#105 UraniumOverdose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 648 posts
  • LocationBurning hot sphere of pure rage.

View PostLivewyr, on 15 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

They're also not nearly as large and complex as the netcode.. (since the netcode is involved in everything you do after clicking launch...)

Which goes back to our original points of netcode not being the main focus of their work. In fact none of those issues, or the netcode, or the FPS/yellowscreen/hud bugs should have been allowed to escape closed beta. You would see a ton less frothing at the mouth had they listened to the community and pushed closed beta back until those core issues were fixed. No one expects a beta to be perfect, but I haven't seen many open betas where the game was in such a state of disarray.

#106 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Funny that the devs are posting stuff on reddit where it apparently is kept clean of ANY criticism by the mods. Devs can't handle the heat and give us a 5 minute update on pressing issues which would eliminate most complaints. We just like knowing we are heard every now and then. Because we aren't being heard... we complain.

#107 Mxxpower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMINNESOTA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostShumabot, on 15 January 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

This is the kind of trash that betrays an absolute lack of understanding of what goes into the development of software products. This is exactly the kind of mentality that drive developers away from their community. A community that doesn't even know enough to realize it's commenting on something it doesn't know anything about.

I have game programming experience yes, I know what's involved. My point was:

For a small company like PGI to build Mechwarrior from the ground up in a year is impressive, and really shows their dedication and working to hit deadlines.

Then there's closed beta, patches every week, hotfixes almost daily, adding new mech variants, modules, tweaking and testing everything, and close attention to the beta testers concerns.

Then theres open beta... Patch maybe, maybe every 2 weeks.(more like a month) Small, really small changes made to the game in comparisson to closed beta.

It honestly feels to me like once the new graphics engine was done, a new team took over to start adding meaningless **** to sell for MC.

What really significant change has been addressed since closed beta? The only thing I can think of is the new economy, which actually does address new player concerns for getting a mech...

Kudo's

#108 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

But the ECM IS too awesome, that's why the disappointment and disparagement. You cannot even be a proper scout with the way it works. Why scout when you can cloak the main force instead.

I still play the game and have no ECM mechs in my mech bays - I do not choose the scout role ever. But, that role has been effectively removed from the role warfare list with the way ECM has been implemented. I've used ECM IRL, I have posted this several times but PGI chooses not to seek my expertise. Oh, well.

And I still think it is a great game with much Alpha release potential. As long as there are no cloaks in it.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 15 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#109 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Something to remember.. It takes a gaming company months to program many things..

It takes an entitled gamer/forumer mere minutes to b**ch about the gaming company.

people that fail to live up to promises frequently, or believe they don't have to give when they have received, are usually the same people talking about others feeling "entitled".

Edited by BerryChunks, 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#110 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 15 January 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Which goes back to our original points of netcode not being the main focus of their work. In fact none of those issues, or the netcode, or the FPS/yellowscreen/hud bugs should have been allowed to escape closed beta. You would see a ton less frothing at the mouth had they listened to the community and pushed closed beta back until those core issues were fixed. No one expects a beta to be perfect, but I haven't seen many open betas where the game was in such a state of disarray.

You do understand that different teams deal with different parts of the game.. right?

Why don't you go ahead and tell Alex Iglesias to get on that netcode...

#111 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

wow.......

You people are simply incredible.

Do any of you whiny people even understand the development cycle of any kind of program?

You do realize that PGI is making public those 2 - 3 year of development cycle that every other company keeps hidden right?

You do realize that they have only been producing code for what a year? If this is what they have done after only one year of work. DAMN FINE JOB PGI! I wish I could make my projects this nice in just a years time.

You do realize that PGI is looking for coders to join their team right? This would mean that they are understaffed.

You do realize that PGI is a small develpoment studio with no where near the resources of say EA or Blizzard or Activision right? This means that things will take longer to get finished that say if EA was involved (I'm glad they are not).

All I ever see is people complaining on these forums. Yes some things are kinda broke but FOR ***** SAKE ITS NOT DONE YET!

So yes the community is what is ruining this game. I don't blame the developers for not reading the fourms. You all suck.

#112 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 15 January 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

people that fail to live up to promises frequently, or believe they don't have to give when they have received, are usually the same people talking about others feeling "entitled".

People that quote other people 5 times then pull some stupid ""wisdom"" out of their a**, are... well.. yeah just stupid.

Edited by Livewyr, 15 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#113 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Before continuing this thread, let's all watch this.

#114 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Some of you guys must be new to this whole, game community thing.

A community is here not to ******** the developers, but to act as stakeholders and the harshest critics of the product. If a community is not pointing out what is wrong after playing the game 'in the wild', it's not worth a dime beyond single shot console box sales to nameless COD kiddies.

The fact the community is consistently pointing out problems, providing corrections to what PGI has broke or glazed over this week is a good thing. It shows people are actually interested and are applying brain power to the game through true constructive feedback. No matter how harsh it is, this is a complement for PGI to work harder.
Its when the rabble stops posting smart, value add posts then the inevitable "pro" group and anchor demographic has given up on your game product. This usually ends with belly up, and forums reduced to syncophantic apologists / fanboy posts done to whitewash the games loss of appeal and marketing power.

In short: The more flames, the better. In the real world, we call that activism, and it means people are thinking. Enjoy it, and maybe learn something.

#115 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

View PostLivewyr, on 15 January 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

People that quote other people 5 times then pull some stupid ""wisdom"" out of their a**, are... well.. yeah just stupid.

its no different than "the guilty cry 'foul' first".

#116 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostGroovYChickeN, on 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

wow.......

Do any of you whiny people even understand the development cycle of any kind of program?

You do realize that PGI is making public those 2 - 3 year of development cycle that every other company keeps hidden right?

You do realize that they have only been producing code for what a year? If this is what they have done after only one year of work. DAMN FINE JOB PGI! I wish I could make my projects this nice in just a years time.

You do realize that PGI is looking for coders to join their team right? This would mean that they are understaffed.

You do realize that PGI is a small develpoment studio with no where near the resources of say EA or Blizzard or Activision right? This means that things will take longer to get finished that say if EA was involved (I'm glad they are not).

All I ever see is people complaining on these forums. Yes some things are kinda broke but FOR ***** SAKE ITS NOT DONE YET!

So yes the community is what is ruining this game. I don't blame the developers for not reading the fourms. You all suck.

Your logic it burns their eyes.. they won't read all of it.

#117 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 15 January 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Read that again.

Good. It clearly states exactly what is wrong with the netcode and how they are going to fix it.

#118 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Nothing wrong with chain quotes. Never not post.

This being said, on most forums; the harsher the critique of project missteps the more flattered the developers because of their 'rabid' following. See: Warcrack beta.

#119 UraniumOverdose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 648 posts
  • LocationBurning hot sphere of pure rage.

View PostLivewyr, on 15 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

They're also not nearly as large and complex as the netcode.. (since the netcode is involved in everything you do after clicking launch...)

------------
EDIT: I am not a White Knight.. I have my criticisms as well.

However, the different between me and the underwhelming LOUD minority of these forums is that I choose to voice my criticisms objectively instead of:
Insulting the company
Preaching doom of the Title
Theorizing a conspiracy regarding PGI/IGP.

Please- do tell me ONE, JUST ONE benefit of insulting PGI? C'mon.. just ONE.
One single benefit...

Bad publicity, drives some people away that would otherwise try the game. If they want to make good money, they need to take steps to avoid bad publicity. League of legends and tribes ascend both have their critics, but the average player during open beta would have told you "Yeah, go try it out and see what you think." The average player for MWO is going to say "I wouldn't bother right now, netcode is fubar and they have a lot of bugs and issues plaguing the game"

#120 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

View PostGroovYChickeN, on 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

wow.......

It's not the bugs that bother me... but the lack of scale and the carbon copy WoT nature of this game. They could have done so much more... I mean think about this for a moment.

They went with a matchmaker that HAD TO BE DESIGNED AND IMPLEMENTED FROM THE GROUND UP BY PGI, instead of using the built in Cryengine 3 SDK server browser. Imagine how many hundreds of man hours that were wasted. I mean look how long it took them to move to matchmaking stage 1... to 2... to 3?...

The fact remains that the MW:LL modders made a better product than these guys did... for free! And the ONLY reason all of you aren't playing the heck out of it is because it isn't a retail product and doesn't get the polish that a retail product gets.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users