What To Do With A Cat-C4 In The Current Game.

22 replies to this topic

#1 Fitzbattleaxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

So I've tried a few mechs, and right now I'm really only having any luck in my Raven (surprise, surprise). I can't seem to get the hang of mediums (don't understand their role, I think - can't find a play style where you wouldn't be better with either a light or a heavy), and my Atlas is just to slow for my tastes. Until I earn a few more c-bills, that leaves a Catapult C4 as my only real alternative for when I get sick of the Raven. A few patches ago, I was able to make excellent use of the thing, but now with the prevalence of ECM, my old loadouts don't really work in most matches. Was wondering if anyone who's had more time to play with the design could offer some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Sell it and buy a Raven 3L.

Seriously, I was always partial to 4xSRM6 + 2MLas, but that's just me.

#3 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

for teh C4-
either 4 srm6 (with artemis for better accuarcy at 200m) and 2 med pulse (XL engien works well in catapults, use a 275 or 300)
or 2 LRM 15 and 2 LRM 5 and a TAG so you can atleast put down any mech you can keep a laser on.

#4 Indolo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

My C4 is 2 LRM 15, 2 SRM 6, AMS TAG Artemis.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3071a5c90416b76

It's been very effective in better teams, and can feel much less so in bad teams.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostFitzbattleaxe, on 15 January 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

So I've tried a few mechs, and right now I'm really only having any luck in my Raven (surprise, surprise). I can't seem to get the hang of mediums (don't understand their role, I think - can't find a play style where you wouldn't be better with either a light or a heavy), and my Atlas is just to slow for my tastes. Until I earn a few more c-bills, that leaves a Catapult C4 as my only real alternative for when I get sick of the Raven. A few patches ago, I was able to make excellent use of the thing, but now with the prevalence of ECM, my old loadouts don't really work in most matches. Was wondering if anyone who's had more time to play with the design could offer some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a good engine, try making it walk around with TAG and 2 LRM20s and maybe a backup laser and some SRMs for close-range fights. Try to stay at 400 meters or so and lob LRMs with TAG and use your speed to move around a lot.

You won't need a lot of ammo since you are chucking LRMs in their faces so you won't waste a lot hitting mountains.

#6 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

I have been having pretty good games with this build:

4xSRM6 /w Artemis 5tons ammo
2x MedLasers
Std260 Engine (Planing to upgrade to XL300)
DHS

Its a simple and relatively cheap build. The SRMs take quite a bit of skill to master though and this is really a hit and run mech, so a very fast XL engine is basically a must. Still even with the regular engine the mech is quite fun to drive when you manage to utilize those SRMs to their full ability.

Basically its a slightly less cheesy build than the A1 srmkitty, but effective nonetheless...

#7 jshill78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I use:

4 SRM6+Artemis
2 Med Lasers
XL 315 Engine
5 tons of ARM ammo
DHS
Endo-Steel

Works like a charm, just hit that missile bay door toggle so you don't have the fire lag. You roll around at 86.4 kph and pack a giant punch.

#8 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

CPLT-C4 LRM20 3LRM15 7LRMAmmo TAG XL225 Endo 12DHS

#9 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Honestly? The Cat-C4 seems like a solid mech. Not nearly as limited to crazy boat load-outs like the -A1. If you want to use LRMs, you take a moderate load of them and TAG. Want to brawl? Load up on MLAS and SRMs. Seems like a rounded and easy mech to build for.

#10 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationHalloran V, defending Transpax Corporation from taxing authorities

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Cat C4 + LRM requires Artemis. If you don't have this upgrade, you won't do any real damage. The Cat C4 has so much missile tubes, that most of your LRM will miss if you don't have Artemis

Believe me, I tried. 4xLRM15 without. Just 60 missiles flying around hitting nothing.

#11 Fitzbattleaxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. Much appreciated. I love the Mechwarrior games, but customization has never been one of my strength.

#12 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

2 SRM6
2 Streak 2s
2 Medium Pulse Lasers.

That's what I would do. At least for Pugs.

For the high Alpha go 4 SRM6 +whatever you can fit.

#13 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I run mine with 2x LRM 20's w/ Artemis, 2 Streak SRM-2's, 2 medium lasers. puts out some real hurt at long range if someone can find you a target. the streaks and mediums are there so you aren't a total joke close in. pretty fun mech over all. i've been known to drop a medium for a TAG unit too.

#14 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

streaks, tag, mpulse, fast engine, preferably JJ`s (when they are fixed again)...

OR lrm boat, tag, mpulse, as mobile as possible for direct fire ability (750m tag is a good range if you are mobile enough)

or

or

or...

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 17 January 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I find steaks to be not very useful. A lot if time they won't lock on to enemies, in which case they're just dead weight. And the C4 only has enough slots for 2 MLs, which isn't much if you're streaks aren't working. For these reasons, I chose the C1. It's much easier to be productive in that mech.

#16 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostBad Brad Keselowski, on 16 January 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Cat C4 + LRM requires Artemis. If you don't have this upgrade, you won't do any real damage. The Cat C4 has so much missile tubes, that most of your LRM will miss if you don't have Artemis

Believe me, I tried. 4xLRM15 without. Just 60 missiles flying around hitting nothing.

Posted Image
CPLT-C4 LRM20 3LRM15 7LRMAmmo TAG Endo XL225

Edited by Multitallented, 17 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#17 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

yeah, lrm boating + tag is pretty good for this mech.

#18 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I think the C4 excels at the short range missile boat role in the current game. As others have said, 4xSRM6 + 2MLAS/MPLS is a real beast with 300 engine in it.

#19 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationHalloran V, defending Transpax Corporation from taxing authorities

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostMultitallented, on 17 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Posted Image
CPLT-C4 LRM20 3LRM15 7LRMAmmo TAG Endo XL225

OK I have simply no idea how you managed to do this. I didn't think this is possible. I tried like 15 matches with my 4xLRM15/TAG and even XL300 for lots of speed an maneuverability to stay in LOS. Optimal fire is like 250-400m away from your target and LOS, and I just didn't hit anything. Most of my misslies just missed, no ECM disruption, they just missed. I gave up on this build not because I thought I did bad but not hitting anything in best firing position as possible.

Just once I got close to 1000, but that was because there was for...like the 1st time I saw this...someone with a NARC.

#20 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

I've had a similar experience, Brad. I can't seem to do anything with LRMs, so I've given up on them. My builds are either skirmishers or brawlers these days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users