Devs Ignoring Their Own Game Forums Due To "negative" Feedback, Tell Them On Facebook What You Think.

291 replies to this topic

#21 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

What is this? I don't even...

Edited by Loc Nar, 16 January 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#22 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostPok Gai, on 16 January 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

Garth Erlam said in Q&A http://mwomercs.com/...evs-26-answers/ this morning that due to the volume of complaints and negative feedback, they now pay little or no attention to the forums. I think this is a slap in the face for every founder and player that supported this game with their hard earned. If people knew they were going to end up like this, would they have still bought founders? Not as many I wager.

They are still actively communicating on facebook and other internet sites to market their game, yet it seems they use this forum as a focus point to censor negative feedback and complaints.

I would suggest putting your face to your comments on facebook to get a response, because it will not be forthcoming here, other other internet mediums where they are still trying to market their game.

Make your views heard here:

www.facebook.com/MechWarriorOnline

I'm assuming you meant that quote....

A: It's hard not to have it affect one at all; generally it just makes people around the office less likely to read over the forums. I still do though, and for every negative/unrealistic exception filled post, there are dozens of PM's, emails, and threads that are the opposite. Also, we're dealing with long-time fans of a very old IP, so we expect people to be passionate. If I could have any one thing though, it would be the understanding that: A) we're barely a year into development, and the poor guys are usually here till 10-11pm, so the 'you're just lazy' posts are unnecessary and flat out wrong. [Garth]

...so reading Garth's extremely polite, diplomatic and realistic response when compared to your vitriol, I have to ask....

[REDACTED]

Edited by Dakkath, 16 January 2013 - 08:54 AM.
Cleaned up post.

#23 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostTB Freelancer, on 16 January 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

I'm assuming you meant that quote....

...so reading Garth's extremely polite, diplomatic and realistic response when compared to your vitriol, I have to ask....

Are you ignorrant or just plain old @#$ing stupid?

People are worried, and they have every right to be.

#24 Pok Gai

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Standard fanboy insult and flame response doesn't faze anyone nowadays, I refrain from such behaviour because if I do it constantly on a daily basis, I'm just a yapper with no bite and a boring bark.

Alot of us a concerned, and I believe many of us gave them the benefit of the doubt, but since OB they have proven themselves to be incompetent at the very least.

#25 SpammyV

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Just to play devil's advocate here, when it seems like every thread in the forums is written to cast MWO in the light of a sinking ship, includes some kind of insult to the developers or publishers, and carries with it the armchair game designer tone of "I know how to make a game better than you do," well... I'd be less inclined to read the forums too.

Heck I am less inclined to read the forums. I'll be honest, I only skim these forums because they're so full of vitriol and so painful to read. I think I played MWO for a month or two before I ever made a post because I didn't want to tread in these waters. I have to go to the meme thread to get my spirit replenished and believe that I'm not the only one who is playing this game and having fun.

All I'm saying is that your own habit of negativity and abrasiveness might be the cause they don't want to read the forums.

#26 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostSpammyV, on 16 January 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Just to play devil's advocate here, when it seems like every thread in the forums is written to cast MWO in the light of a sinking ship, includes some kind of insult to the developers or publishers, and carries with it the armchair game designer tone of "I know how to make a game better than you do," well... I'd be less inclined to read the forums too.

Heck I am less inclined to read the forums. I'll be honest, I only skim these forums because they're so full of vitriol and so painful to read. I think I played MWO for a month or two before I ever made a post because I didn't want to tread in these waters. I have to go to the meme thread to get my spirit replenished and believe that I'm not the only one who is playing this game and having fun.

All I'm saying is that your own habit of negativity and abrasiveness might be the cause they don't want to read the forums.

If you're paid to look through that drivel, then you'd better look through that drivel. It's not a complicated job.

#27 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

If they for real weren't visting here because of 'wahhh, muh hugbox,' then they shouldn't be working on a project like this - especially if they're employed in PR positions.

I said it before. Say you take a job that includes in the job description that bees will sting your mouth. Are you going to be mad when bees sting your mouth?

I totally agree, my first point was that I do see them reading the forums and responding, though usually to the people that start their posts with "I don't think this is working quite right, here's some ideas" rather than "PGI devs can't do grade 3 maths, I know better than them how to make their game"

#28 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Garth Erlam said in Q&A http://mwomercs.com/...evs-26-answers/ this morning that due to the volume of complaints and negative feedback, they now pay little or no attention to the forums. I think this is a slap in the face for every founder and player that supported this game with their hard earned. If people knew they were going to end up like this, would they have still bought founders? Not as many I wager.

They are still actively communicating on facebook and other internet sites to market their game, yet it seems they use this forum as a focus point to censor negative feedback and complaints.

I would suggest putting your face to your comments on facebook to get a response, because it will not be forthcoming here, other other internet mediums where they are still trying to market their game.

http://www.facebook....chWarriorOnline

I really wish people would stop the call to arms to be the most annoying and pestering community in existence.

Frankly, I wouldn't come here either if most of what I got is disrespect and abuse. People insult the developers, come along with a "should" and very self-centered perspective. The almost absolute literal translation of the Simpson's Comic Book guy.

A slap in the face is not working with developers and appreciating that we have a really enjoyable, playable, beautiful game which is constantly evolving. Yes. It's taking some time. Lets hope the game is with us for longer.

Bug fixes, suggestions, emphasis on what's good, understanding of what's bad, and a drive to make the game and community better by helping new users into the fold. Why can't we do that instead of searching out the most optimal places to complain?

Next thing we're going to read is for a petition to the President/Government to intervene with the development of the game.

Khan DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

#29 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hey Pok, welcome to life - where noone cares about your opinion.

#30 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 16 January 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

I totally agree, my first point was that I do see them reading the forums and responding, though usually to the people that start their posts with "I don't think this is working quite right, here's some ideas" rather than "PGI devs can't do grade 3 maths, I know better than them how to make their game"

What I find the funniest is that we all used to be EXTREMELY polite, no matter where we're from, or what part of the internet we normally hang out on. They used to get gigantic threads from me, for instance, but now, when they can't even spend a few minutes to alter weapon numbers like they say they would, I don't see the point in treating them in any way better than they treat me.

I mean, what's the point? Will they do a 180 if I do? After this long, i doubt it- I'm starting to think the problem isn't with the userbase, or the people who do the actual work over there, but the managers. But this is just speculation on my part.

#31 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 16 January 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Much like there was a thread yesterday, where 2 developers were talking over a feature with people who asked the question and they were actually giving real answers about the systems in place.
A self entitled child enters the thread, threw insults and the devs withdrew.

I can see both sides of the fence here, people are unhappy and want stuff changed or at least explained...well you don't get that by insulting and cursing at the people you want to talk too.

#32 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

If you're paid to look through that drivel, then you'd better look through that drivel. It's not a complicated job.

I have to imagine the developers (and all) aren't paid to read through forums.

Perhaps the moderators but that is for abuse over content.

Or is there a paid position to read through the forums cause as negative as they are, I'd do it.

#33 Flit Asuno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostDaisu Saikoro, on 16 January 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

Or is there a paid position to read through the forums cause as negative as they are, I'd do it.

Garth Erlam is the community manager and it's basically his job to put on the mud boots and stomp through all the hate and vitriol here while maintaining professionalism. There's been quite a few instances though where he hasn't done that. He's lost his cool and snapped at people. So for his answer to say "I still go" is like saying that despite you hate your job you still clock in.

#34 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

Would it be any different if people asked nicely?

Some things get answered, some things don't. It helps to be nice about it, but it doesn't guarantee a thing.

I find that the game became a lot more enjoyable after I stopped caring about contents and bugfixing. Sure, some things puzzle the hell out of me, but I tend to leave it at that. The last time I tried caring about it I got super annoyed about how devs didn't even have a roadmap - apparently now they do.

TLDR; they used to talk a lot, now they don't talk as much. Some features that didn't exist then apparently exist now.

I can remain waiting. Not too hard.

Just give me RAC5 omg

#35 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostDaisu Saikoro, on 16 January 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

I'm talking about Garth, the IGP crew, community mods...you know? They have an entire army to deal with this, give us information, run events, and generally put on the smiley face and tell us that they're thankful for our patience, even as we set the forum on fire.

That's what PR people are employed to do. They're not there to snark at paid users, who've been putting up with this for way too long now.

#36 Flit Asuno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 16 January 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Much like there was a thread yesterday, where 2 developers were talking over a feature with people who asked the question and they were actually giving real answers about the systems in place.
A self entitled child enters the thread, threw insults and the devs withdrew.

I can see both sides of the fence here, people are unhappy and want stuff changed or at least explained...well you don't get that by insulting and cursing at the people you want to talk too.

Then you have to ask yourself why do the devs seem to not care about their good fans enough to ignore, moderate, or put up with the people who talk **** or otherwise are a detriment? If they really care about their true fans, why not actually go after the people who make insults and attacks with bans? If they really do care about the fanbase and the game they should be willing to either ignore the insults or have those edited out/checked by their moderators while responding to any valid input the person may have had.

Just because a customer is being insulting doesn't mean I get to walk away from the situation at my job. And being insulted and belittled in person is -much- more emotionally strenuous. I can assure you.

#37 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Yeah they have a right to be worried, everyone does. But that doesn't give free license to make completely unreasonable demands, ultimatums, the sky is falling threads at every turn that they get disappointed because their little pet fetish wasn't addressed.....

...we're talking about a work in progress here and don't have a clear view of the grand plan. Considering how the most vocal element of the community behaves itself, I don't blame PGI for keeping its cards close to its chest.

Having extensive experience on large scale design/build projects (I've worked on projects going well into the billions), I see the complete disconnect between timelines, expectations and reality....

....the vast majority of the bitching pots reinforce only one thing. Far too many MWO fans are so disconnected from reality that they may need to take a trip to Bethlem Royal Hospital to get their engines checked and repaired....

...if they are indeed repairable.

#38 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

http://www.facebook....chWarriorOnline

Where did they say that today? I cant find a singel post in that whole thread where this is so.... actually. I cant see a single dev post in that whole thread from today.

If you think the OP is from today... I hate to burst your bubble... that is "Ask the Devs 26"... we are now at "Ask the devs 30"

A lot has happened since questions like;

Q: I want a ****** bobblehead and fuzzy dice.... when will i get that stuff? [Nuesse]
A: Very soon! :) [Garth]

such as the free PC gamer and the Nvidia Dawn Bobblehead for example ;)

On the other hand.... if you say that the devs arent reading these forums because of all the negativity and are trying to get people to post their negativity on Facebook... how long do you think it will be until the devs will treat Facebook the same? You want complaints to be sent by mail until the letters arent opened and then resort to singing telegrams or Smoke signals?

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 16 January 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#39 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostTB Freelancer, on 16 January 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

Yeah they have a right to be worried, everyone does. But that doesn't give free license to make completely unreasonable demands, ultimatums, the sky is falling threads at every turn that they get disappointed because their little pet fetish wasn't addressed.....

...we're talking about a work in progress here and don't have a clear view of the grand plan. Considering how the most vocal element of the community behaves itself, I don't blame PGI for keeping its cards close to its chest.

Having extensive experience on large scale design/build projects (I've worked on projects going well into the billions), I see the complete disconnect between timelines, expectations and reality....

....the vast majority of the bitching pots reinforce only one thing. Far too many MWO fans are so disconnected from reality that they may need to take a trip to Bethlem Royal Hospital to get their engines checked and repaired....

...if they are indeed repairable.

Yes, as a matter of fact, that's exactly what we have the right to do, and it's what we should be doing. That they have their whole PR army employed still, but we remain the last to find out news about the game, even after places such as reddit, speaks volumes about their two companies.

Can I please be told we're getting a 2x XP weekend on the game's own forum? Can I be told about the new hero mech before it's posted on 4chan by people who are connected? Would it be too much to ask for a weekly update that has actual information in it?

#40 icey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

as if any more than like 5% of the trolls on these boards would ever actually put their real name and faces to the crap they post. good luck getting them to bring the PGI intifada to facebook.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users