Mwll Developement Have Been Stopped.

168 replies to this topic

#41 saviour

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 16 January 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

And we are being persistently babysat by the moderator Lima Zulu in this thread. :D

Threads sure vanish at an alarming rate in these forums.
Mind you, we will get no explanation. I think PGI will burry this whole affair.

That said, I wonder what the reason was.

The falling player numbers? Probably. Where has the counter gone?

#42 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I don't think the players have hopped on over to MWLL, not at least judging by the player numbers which are freely available to view for MWLL. Ever since PGI hired some folks involved in developing MWLL and gained a clear understanding of where MWLL wanted to go, planetary capture game mode, mobile field bases and all those other things listed, it became just a matter of time before a cease and desist notice was given to KingLeer.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 16 January 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#43 saviour

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 16 January 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't think the players have hopped on over to MWLL, not at least judging by the player numbers which are freely available to view for MWLL. Ever since PGI hired some folks involved in developing MWLL and gained a clear understanding of where MWLL wanted to go, planetary capture game mode, mobile field bases and all those other things listed, it became just a matter of time before a cease and desist notice was given to KingLeer.

Why yes as if MWO is going to do any of the above.

Whatever...

#44 Tor Matthews

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

juSt to clarify and correct what a few ppl have got wrong, MWLL actually had a non profit license, but money talks in the legal system. Mwll has no money and so can't contest this kind of issue at all.this means pgi were without question low lifes in all this business

#45 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Postsaviour, on 16 January 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Why yes as if MWO is going to do any of the above.

Whatever...

What the hell do you think the much anticipated community warfare system is all about? Planetary capture is in for sure with regards to MWO. I also believe that MWO will eventually introduce battle armour, tanks and aircraft too.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 16 January 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#46 Meldaran

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSomewhere french...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 16 January 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

What the hell do you think the much anticipated community warfare system is all about? Planetary capture is in for sure with regards to MWO. I also believe that MWO will eventually introduce battle armour, tanks and aircraft too.

God I hope you're right, but I don't dare hope too much...

#47 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

View Postmeldaran, on 16 January 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

God I hope you're right, but I don't dare hope too much...

http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

#48 Meldaran

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSomewhere french...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 16 January 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Yeah, but actually what I'm even more hoping for is the Combined Arms part. That's what I'd really like to see implemented, but I'm really doubtful it'll ever happen. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

#49 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostCongzilla, on 16 January 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

PGI has gotten the rights for Mechwarrior from Microsoft and by doing so is expected to protect the IP which includes shutting down people producing games based on the IP without the licensing rights.

yup, sucks though.

#50 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Oh aye! Sorry meldaran. The comment on combined arms is just my speculation on where we will be a year or so down the line with MWO.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 16 January 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#51 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Response from Russ in the original thread:

Hey Everyone,

I know you haven't seen much of me lately, was pretty busy with the holiday season and a new baby in the family. I hope you will see more of me on the forums and in game soon.

Here is what I know.

Did we send a cease and desist letter? no we did not.

At GDC 2012 I met with the mod leadership which of course happens to work at Crytek so we see each other pretty much every trade show, great guy. At this GDC in casual unscripted conversation I asked him "why are we splitting the community at this point?" We both realized that the MWLL community was small and it really wasn't competing with MWO but still each time a feature was added to MWLL that was in MWO it felt as though we were doubling up effort to restore this great brand.

I expressed that we were not trying to shut anyone down but asked him how we might meld the two communities better and even look to possibly hire on any great talent what was in that project. ( Hey MWLL guys send in those resumes ) For a long time the IP was in the wind and MWLL is one of those games that really kept MW on peoples minds so the project and the individuals have our up most respect.

We discussed this topic for a little while but again it was friendly and there was no threats of shutting the mod down just more of a sense of "Why are we doubling up efforts here?". After the show he contacted me expressing that they really wanted to finish what they started with MWLL and had a set of features that they would like to get done and asked if that was okay with PGI. They presented a very professional plan on the remaining work they wanted to complete and stated after that it would be time to stop production on MWLL. I thanked them for the plan and said that it all sounded great.

Now today's news comes and I can only assume that this last patch represents the final features from that presentation they gave me. I will reach out to my MWLL contact and confirm that this is true and have a conversation, if there are any updates we will let you know.

Again there was no combative relationship between MWO and MWLL, nor was there a cease and desist letter given.

Thanks.

#52 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 16 January 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

yup, sucks though.

Agree. MW:LL is still an amazing mod. It's a sad day in the MW community for sure.

#53 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Still they are shutting down the project, no cease and desist letter but something must have happened.

I would love to see the two projects merge, MWLL is too good to just let it die slowly.

#54 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Glad they made a statement on this.

#55 thalamus

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

As I mentioned in the general discussions forum, MW:LL was a hell of a game for me. It brought the Mechwarrior franchise back to live - for years, it hat completely disappeared from the public until suddenly a Crysis (in the beginning Battlefield) mod started getting headlines.

I argued and I will continue to argue that no other Mechwarrior game has ever reached the strategical depth of MW:LL and even if its balance wasn't perfect, it certainly was much better than the current MWO with all these lagshield+streak+ecm+steamrolling issues.

I think that the critical difference between MW:LL and MWO is long matches, bases, respawn and on-line progression and combined arms on the one hand and 5 minute death matches on the other hand. If a match is done in 5 minutes and only 8 kills, then any kill has a chance of triggering the slippery slope that causes all those extremely frustrating and unrewarding 8-0 or 0-8 matches. Sorry, I drifted off into QQ.

Anyway. As soon as I get my hands back on my copy of Crysis wars, I'm going to reinstall MW:LL and have a couple of evenings on Huntress or Funbocks, on foot, on wheels, 'Mechlegs and airborne; in high-G, low-G, cities, deserts, and planes.

I really really hope that shutting down MW:LL at least means that PGI has grasped what improvements they could implement simply by copying some of the gameplay mechanisms MW:LL had or still strived for. But I guess this isn't going to happen.

PS: Someone said that MW:LL wasn't as much about Mechwarrior as it was about Battletech. That's possible and nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, I liked that.

I conclude my statement by posting a screenshot Pytak made, depicting a chillin' BA.
Posted Image

TL;DR: The stop to MWLL's development marks the stop of the most interesting Battletech computer game yet to see the world.

#56 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I don't know, what Russ said differs from the tone and implied intent in Defender's letter on the MWLL site.

#57 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

someone is lying, and i really doubt it is MWLL's team.

#58 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostCik, on 16 January 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

someone is lying, and i really doubt it is MWLL's team.

That or details are being omitted.

#59 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Or that PGI had nothing to do with it and someone else shut down MWLL before they could complete their agreement/plan with PGI.

#60 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 16 January 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Or that PGI had nothing to do with it and someone else shut down MWLL before they could complete their agreement/plan with PGI.

Nah, I don't think so. Original push from PGI me thinks and perhaps via MS i.e. PGI requesting MS takes back the rights granted to MWLL team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users