What Are Your Thoughts On The Catapult Cplt-A1 "skillcat/boomcat"?

73 replies to this topic

#21 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I respect that build. Non cheese. It was funny I was testing the Spider (I dont normally pilot lights) Jumpy version with my buddy last night and we ran into one. I jumped right into a ear as it fired. The kill shot was hilareous because it looked like I was stuck on the ear. .

#22 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I thought it was a splatterpult? Anyway it's a hilarious mech with a bad pilot, brilliant with a good (or at least patient) pilot.

#23 Erik Jast

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Skillcat and Boomcat have a lot more counters to them than the ECM Godbirds.

#24 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 16 January 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

"What Are Your Thoughts On The Catapult Cplt-A1 "skillcat/boomcat"?

A skill-cat...?? They were dubbed "Sack-a-Pults" long, long ago, they hit at 270 meters no further, and some may say that getting within 270 meters takes skill, but seing as the most widely used weapons in MWO have their optimal ranges at the same 270 meters (most people can't or don't boat longer range weapons), it only takes a little more sneaking to get a "sack-a-pult" into range.. I understand that other 270 meter range weapons can do damage past 270 meters, but it really doesn't make up for the fact that the (6) srm6 can be a one hit wonder on several Mechs, and more if you hit at 150 to108 meters behind a Centurion attacking his rear armor...
Skill with a "sack-a-pult" is all about remaining undetected, "OR" in the most used tactic, "sand-bagging" until their own team has engaged, so they can manuever into firing postition (I.E.) "common sense"... They can be outfitted with a really decent engine so they are fast enough to do this, so again, no appreciable amount of skill over that of any other pilot, like a fast medium..
They don't suffer as much of a disadvantage as most other people think, but they do suffer some disadvantage, "BUT AGAIN" so do other Mechs, so it's a wash, unless you are pug stomping pilots that don't see an A-1 as likely being a "sack-a-pult" because you don't see it firing LRMs..
My favorite way of dealing with them is knocking off missile pods, then watching them go all kinds of crazy trying "NOT" to get curbstomped...
Skill-cat you say..?? Nah, I wouldn't use that terminology... Just another one trick pony... Not so hard to deal with once you know better... Now 8 of them on a team could be trouble, even 2 or 3.. Just watch for an A-1 "NOT" firing LRMs, and you have a good chance of killing it before he can try to close range..

Edited by Odins Fist, 16 January 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#25 Mr Mantis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCouch

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Big damage load out with no range just got to put a 300 xl engine in it to work, that make you more vulnerable. One of my fav builds, kind of shock and awe fighting technique staying behind a corner or another mech until you are close enough to core your enemy.

#26 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

View Postw0rm, on 16 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

SSRMs are spread out over all hitzones.

Not currently. SSRM's only target the 3 torso sections of the mech, but will do damage to anything between them and their target. So if a mech turns a arm to face a streaker all the streaks will hit the arm, unless its torso sections are long, like say a raven or stalker. Though the SSRM hitting All hitzones was something they were going to put in, it just has not happened yet.

On topic, I LOVE my SRM 6 cat. Its very very very deadly, though has problems with moving targets at times, due to lag delay and the odd way SRM's act at times. Theres also a few bugs with SRM damage it seems, get too close to a target and they do nothing, fire too many at once and they do less damage. Though if i can sneak up on a assault mech from behind, I can normally kill them or at least rip off both side torses in only 1 shot from all the SRM's. Its awe-inspiring to see its destructive power!

#27 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

as a long time Catapult pilot, well actually almost solely Catapults, I still prefer the the C4... while the A1 is deadly... I feel the C4 is more maneuverable, since i usually can run a bigger engine, add jumpjets etc. also the heat management is a bit better, when you can carry more heatsinks instead of having a large store of ammo. also if you add artemis to the A1 then that is 6 tons of just targeting computer vs 4 for the C4. The A1 is neutered when it runs out of ammo in an extended engagement, and if you box its ears off then it has no bite at all

you would be surprised at how many times 2 med lasers can save the day and/or your azz

i don't even own the A1 variant, but i would consider it, by downgrading 2 of the SRM6 launchers to SRM4 launchers, and adding jumpjet or heatsinks. but still the C4 just fits my piloting style and vision for the Catapult, i'm not an all eggs in one basket kind of pilot.

Edited by Dagger6T6, 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#28 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of Dev-altered super mechs.
Why does an CPLT-A1 have 3 missiles hardpoints per arm, the stock version only has 2x LRM15.
Even the CPLT-4C only has 2 missle hardpoints per arm, and it carries stock LRM20s.

I am confused about why the dev's cannot institute some standardization with hardpoint allocation. It seems in their eagerness to differenciate chassis they create broken builds, and of course the more they deviate from standard the more broken the builds can become.

In short, the CPLT-A1 doesn't warrant it's own variant, and should have been left out of the game since it's hardpoint layout should be identical to the CPLT-1C.

#29 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostMr Mantis, on 16 January 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Big damage load out with no range just got to put a 300 xl engine in it to work, that make you more vulnerable.

Very slightly more vulnerable, "BUT" Catapults actually last a lot longer with XL engines than other Mechs because of how the hit boxes are arranged, (I.E.) their XLs aren't the certain death factor that they are in an Atlas-K or other Mechs...
Again, no apreciable difference that makes them take more skill to pilot..

#30 Kookieslayer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I really enjoy my A1 right now. My build goes like this:
4 srm 6
2srm4
600ammo
Artemis
XL315
Endo
12 double HS

I run at almost 85kph with speed tweak and play with an hit and run tactic. It works wonders, especially when you are playing with a lot of obstacles and buildings around. That 80dmg alpha really hurts people when you get them in the back!

Edited by Kookieslayer, 16 January 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#31 Capt Sternn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Gauss-a-Pult, Ultra-Cat, Streak-Cat, Splatter-Pult I believe are the official designations.

Edited by Capt Sternn, 16 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#32 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostCapt Sternn, on 16 January 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Gauss-a-Pult, Ultra-Cat, Streak-Cat, Splatter-Pult I believe are the official designations.

What is the Ultra-Cat?

Also can we call the 4 MLas on the stock (whatever variant was trial a while back) the "Cat's Tickle-Whiskers"?

#33 Applecrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ultra cat is 2x UAC/5's and a smattering of lasers (usually 4x ML).

Before the jamming was implemented it was a very nasty medium range brawler.

#34 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 16 January 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

6 SRM6 CPLT-A1

Thoughts?

Tough opponent. Needs to be killed at range!

#35 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I've been trying the c4 with two srm6s and two lrm5s. If you can get around unnoticed or your team has the enemy distracted the srm6s are pretty good once you get in range.

#36 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Location123 Sesame Street

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

My 6SRM6 cat will always be baby ;-D

#37 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Cheese build. Then again, the Catapult just screams cheese no matter what you put in it.

#38 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ears of, pilot usually disconnets.

#39 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I have been killed twice lately by the 6srm Cat.

But i would say it is my own fault not having al large enough engine with speed to avoid it.

#40 Sheraf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I just had a match with 4 SRM6 Cat on the opposite team. I think we killed 3 and served the last one, before got killed by the remaining of the other team. It is fun though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users