What Are Your Thoughts On The Catapult Cplt-A1 "skillcat/boomcat"?

73 replies to this topic

#41 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Skillcat??? Its just a cheesy Splattapult...

#42 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Splat yes, cheese no.

#43 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Location123 Sesame Street

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostAttalward, on 16 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

I have been killed twice lately by the 6srm Cat.

But i would say it is my own fault not having al large enough engine with speed to avoid it.

If you are caught 1v1 in-close grappling with a properly fitted A-1 paired with a competent pilot, you have already given up much of your chances of survival. It is the one of the most effective close range mech in the game, bar none, so unless it has been softened up already the best you can hope for is to clip its ears.

Edited by ElmoWithAGun, 16 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#44 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I like them when they are on my team. Otherwise no bueno.

#45 headbasher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I have been running three 6's and 3 ssrm's just to deal with all the spiders i am seeing prob will change it back to four 6's soon though. I finally mastered it yesterday and imo you have to gimp yourself to much in some way running with all six srm 6's up.

My build is off the top of my head is

4srm 6's

400+ armor

280 std eng which puts me at around 77kph I think tweeked

double HS

With this im pretty much a terror on the battlefield. I've tried xl's but didnt like them hurt my survivability to much and a smaller engine slows me down to much.

#46 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

It seems most of the "Cheese" builds are based off the catapult, ECM complaints aside.

The splatapult sucks if you walk around the corner into it, but it's easy enough to ear them and leave them neutered.

The C4 is a bit better imo if you're going to run it. At least you have non-ammo dependent weapons.

#47 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostPr8Dator, on 16 January 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Skillcat??? Its just a cheesy Splattapult...

Well, it's less cheesy than previous (and other current) FOTM builds.
It's very good at killing slow mechs, which aren't really the danger currently.

#48 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 16 January 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

6 SRM6 CPLT-A1

Thoughts?

Well...I be honest: I don't like them. They're usually fast because the srm6s don't weight that much. They have max armor. And their pilots needs pretty much no skill. Their supposedly easy to kill "ears" have almost as much armor as the front of a medium mech, so the usual "just shoot off the ears" is really no help at all. It's simply cheap, and someone who pilots them shouldn't feel like he actually accomplished something special.

Yet...it seems they do. :angry:

One just killed me and 3 others in a match. He was the last guy of that team and I guess we thought we'd already won. Nonetheless we stuck together to not be singled out. No risk. But..also no chance. Two of the guys where in mediocre shape, one was totally trashed (an arm-less Hunchback with no weapons left), I was still in prety good shape. I managed to severly damage him but then het ook me out with a single salvo to the front after taking care of the other two. Finally also killed the Hunch and we lost.

Did he deserve it? Hell yeah. But then he also bragged about how I should stop playing Cents as they supposedly "suck ballz". Well, I think I was contributing to the team pretty good with my 3 kills and 3 assists, but I guess he didn't check the stats. Too busy bragging with his cheesebuild.

The only good thing about srm6-cats is that they're not a common sight. I guess most people agree that they're simply boring to play and that getting kills with it has nothing to do with skill. A 90 damage alpha damage naturally eats through the 50 armor + 40 internals of my Cent even if it hasn't suffered a dent at that point, so hey, yeah what an achievement. :excl:

Maybe the cheesebuilds are kinda coupled with a cheesy character, who knows. But I guess then it speaks FOR this community that there aren't so much around, eh? B)

#49 Harney

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I run it love it

But for me i like to mix it up with a pack of lrm's 20 sometimes

I love the cats dont know why maybe its the cockpit view classic mech build...

I all so use the WANG very fast and when i am on form im a killer with an ac20

#50 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

It's a one trick pony that simply benefits from teh fact that ECM promotes brawling. AC20cats and GR cats are far better killers due to increased range and the ability to place damage better.

#51 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Double AC/20 cats scare me far more than SRM6 A1s...

#52 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Location123 Sesame Street

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 16 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Well...I be honest: I don't like them. They're usually fast because the srm6s don't weight that much. They have max armor. And their pilots needs pretty much no skill. Their supposedly easy to kill "ears" have almost as much armor as the front of a medium mech, so the usual "just shoot off the ears" is really no help at all. It's simply cheap, and someone who pilots them shouldn't feel like he actually accomplished something special.

I wouldn't say that it takes no skill. I have encountered a good number of pilots running this load (or similar ones) thinking it would get them "easy kills", yet couldn't hit a target 25 ft in front of them if their life depended on it.

One just killed me and 3 others in a match. He was the last guy of that team and I guess we thought we'd already won. Nonetheless we stuck together to not be singled out. No risk. But..also no chance. Two of the guys where in mediocre shape, one was totally trashed (an arm-less Hunchback with no weapons left), I was still in prety good shape. I managed to severly damage him but then het ook me out with a single salvo to the front after taking care of the other two. Finally also killed the Hunch and we lost.

Did he deserve it? Hell yeah. But then he also bragged about how I should stop playing Cents as they supposedly "suck ballz". Well, I think I was contributing to the team pretty good with my 3 kills and 3 assists, but I guess he didn't check the stats. Too busy bragging with his cheesebuild.

It seems like you're basing your opinion more on the *** of a player you encountered rather than the build itself...

The only good thing about srm6-cats is that they're not a common sight. I guess most people agree that they're simply boring to play and that getting kills with it has nothing to do with skill. A 90 damage alpha damage naturally eats through the 50 armor + 40 internals of my Cent even if it hasn't suffered a dent at that point, so hey, yeah what an achievement. B)

To each their own. If the sole intention of a player is to have a build that can dish out damage quickly and effectively, who are you to criticize it? You have just as much freedom to do so if you pleased.

#53 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

If your mech has the ability to shoot outside the range of 300 meters, promptly disarm it by hitting those giant squares screaming "shoot me!", or alternatively shoot it right in its pretty little mouth.

If you know you have the potential for range, do not run in the middle of a brawl and keep moving. They are really only deadly if you let them walk up to you point blank.

Edited by mwhighlander, 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#54 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Nerf whining.

#55 Bisu

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostMawai, on 16 January 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I have never used the A1 ... but I honestly don't mind the 6 SRM6 version ... it requires some skill with aiming to use effectively ... and it can be VERY effective at times. However, I have also spectated on a few that didn't work out ... where the pilot missed the target due to poor aim or pressing the firing button just a second too soon or too late. The missiles also spread so that they can either miss or hit multiple armor sections ... both of which tend to balance the overwhelming fire power (90 damage in one salvo from 6xSRM6).

On the other hand, the 6 SSRM2 version is a different beast. Although it has less potential damage (30)... all of its missiles always hit unless killed by AMS. They also all tend to hit the same section of the mech. There is little skill in aiming other than getting the lock on symbol to light up and SSRM have a faster refire rate. SSRM are much too effective for the tonnage involved especially when used in larger numbers.

Overall, I'd say that the balance on SRM6s is pretty good while the balance on SSRMs needs work. (Just imagine an A1 with 6 SSRM6 ... )

Had a match last night where someone powered down in front of a streak A1. There was nothing the A1 could do about it. It was hilarious, and very effective on a conquest map until a spider came along and cored the powered down mech with a small laser.

#56 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I want one...

#57 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

like the k2 stupid hardpoints leading to stupid builds. balistics hardpoints in tiny torso accomodating twin hugest guns in the game ac20/gauss, haven't learnt from MW3 have we?

srm catta stratagy- hold back a bit wait for others to take enemy attention away then close into enemy's face and boom stick away for one hit wonder victories then feel good about yourself. you lose your ears then you're an ***** pilot cause there's only caustic valley where you have the range to knock ears off. by the time you can knock em off you know 2 others had already bit the dust trying if they hadn't boated ac20's or gauss. k2's and a1's have always been the easy mode outside laggy lights. all that max alpha and speed/flexibility makes you feel stupid for taking other mechs, other mechs like centurions, awesomes, hunchbacks are where you find skilled people surviving cause they have some know how or very quickly dead. and the dragon? 3 to four weapons total that you struggle to stack/minmax? that's hardcore mode, any catapult pilot here should do up a stock dragon and are able to make the last man standing in matches without it's 3 weapons tapped off and whimpering in the corner would start earning some respect.

so keep doing your just round the corner boom in the face lol kill "stratagy" that has been erroneously called skillcat. in maps that are tiny and teeming with cover to suddenly appear out of nowhere from, cause when laggy issues are delt with and more people get killed by a boom stick they stuggle to run away from, {point blank range aim takes so much effort- sarcasim} especially the devs you'll find the a1 and k2's getting tweaks to stop this boating crap once and for all.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 16 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#58 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I've been struggling with my A1 w/6 SRM6s. A few times I've been able to kill some distracted enemies, but I've never really won a straight up brawl with it. Although it's alpha strike is quite a bit higher, it doesn't feel nearly as dangerous as my AWS-8R brawler. I might install streaks and just focus on killing lights. I really don't look forward to driving the A1.

I'm just trying to get the basics done so l can elite my K2, which I like a lot more. I doubt I'll keep the A1 once I get the basics.

#59 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

A fun build to go against in a Jenner when ping is not the best thus aiming at the ears can be difficult. You can take em down but just don't make a mistake of getting in front of them for too long. B)

#60 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostElmoWithAGun, on 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

To each their own. If the sole intention of a player is to have a build that can dish out damage quickly and effectively, who are you to criticize it? You have just as much freedom to do so if you pleased.

Maybe, if I wanted to play BigRobots Online. But I'd like to play MechWarrior Online. I read the books and played the games. I will always go for a balanced build. I will always stay true to the MechWarrior spirit and I will never go for such a cheesebuild just to polish my stats. :D

On a side-note, I think ammunition cost should make a re-appearance. Yes, they should be able to run that build. And yes, ammunition costs should eat their money. :lol:

Edited by GODzillaGSPB, 17 January 2013 - 01:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users