Like some other lances do

I PUG'd and // Got shot up too~

#82 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Big robots. Working mechlab (I spend more time there than playing). Modern graphics and game balance sensibilities. Free to play. Fantastic new art direct for the mech designs.

Love it.

#83 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

While I know it's an ongoing struggle as well as subject to collisions and netcode fixes I have to say one of the things MWO is doing right is allowing all mech weights to have a place on the battlefield. It's not the weight race of the older titles where biggest is best. As balance changes have been implemented there have been flavour of the month weights beginning with Mediums, assaults and recently lights.

Level of mech and pilot customisation as it currently stands is pretty cool, but the idea of loads more modules to make your pilots more unique as well as honing down your particular play style will be interesting. My only gripe currently is the current paint price model.

#84 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

They got the feel down right. After some much needed tweaks like more AC/20 force, the feel will be that much better.

#85 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

THE SOUND
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!

Seriously, most of you don't even know how much of importance it is to the feeling of immersion in a game.
Also the Art is very good.

Edited by TexAss, 17 January 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#86 PL Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

First, the look of it. You don't realize that when you play and concentrate on getting that precious hits, but this game looks amazing, especially when there's a lot of things going around. The LRMs flying through sky looks amazing (espesially when you turn off that good-for-nothing DOF effect), the lasers light up their targets, the sparks from gauss hits are amazing, the mechs and maps look great.
Next thing is the design. New mech designs look amazing and most of them really look like real war machines. But the best thing about design are the cockpits. For the first time in Mechwarrior the cockpits look right to the point that I'd like the possibility to click all those buttons and *****. Great plus on that area.

Also, the sounds are very well done. The only thing I would change is the sound of PPC (I'd like to hear a thunder every time someone fires a PPC).

Core gameplay also feels very good and is still satisfying after more than 4 months of playing, which is very rare for me.

F2P model is very good here, and it's the first F2P game that I played which doesn't apply the pay2win rule.

Customer service - I really like the attitude towards the community here. It really feels like the devs care about what we think and listen to community.

And the last but not least, the simple fact that it's a new mechwarrior title.

#87 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

In my previous post I mentioned just art but I have also to mention:
- Mechs Piloting, the handling feels just right.
- Mechs Customizations both functional and about esthetics, I love how mechs change appearance depending on mounted weapons, love the camo system (not the prices).
- Damage Model. Above anything else we had before, damage tracked for each component, excellent. To bad they ditched repairs, that was unique and added to the immersion. I loved how I hated when they damaged MY MECH.
- Trying to be innovative compared to previous titles, for example the sensors working model, not necessarily an improvement but it is still thinking out of the box.
- Animations, well those are improving and are great how mechs move and fall.
- Explosions and weapons effects.

Very promising, probably understaffed for the ambitious plans. Now humbly accepts good ideas from MWLL please :D they also got a lot done right.

#88 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

The Mechs are fantastic. Like many people have said already, they feel as they should feel, and the redesigns are great. They've lost a lot of the 80s/animesque elements a lot of them still had, and come off looking a lot better as a result.

The sound is also a treat. Aside from the big things like weapons fire and explosions, there's also the more subtle things like the sound of your servos when you twist your torso, and the sound of reloading missiles sliding into place that really makes the Mechs come alive.

The controls are great as well. Mech sims tend to have very complicated, often ponderous controls, or are very arcade-y at the other end of the spectrum, but here everything feels very fluid, while still allowing total control over every motion. Kudos!

#89 DeadEyeDeale

• PipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

The greatest thing about this game is that it feels like I am in this massive, complex machine. I feel thirty meters tall, with all the firepower and armor of a massive war machine. When I fire weapons they look, sound, and interract in a very thrilling and believable way. I feel like I'm in the 'mech, the perspective of the cockpit and scaling is great, and the motion and sounds are brilliant. All the little touches add up.

The handling is excellent, and I'm excited by the progress towards better network code - because that is the only thing which holds back the otherwise fluid, clean gameplay. There is this satisfying feeling about guiding this massive 'mech through difficult terrain, dodging around enemies in a firefight, and bringing the firepower of a dozen tanks to bare on my foes.

Missiles flying around, rocking the 'mech as they impact; sections of armor lighting up with heat from damage and lasers; bouncing around in the cockpit as ballistics smash into my 'mech; these are the seemingly simple things which make me smile. Watching a destroyed 'mech tumble to the ground, armor still glowing; seeing components explode and spiral away towards the ground, tumbling along the detailed, sloping hill towards the gentle splashing of water against the shore. Watching smoke billow up from the left window of my Hunchback cockpit where my arm used to be.

This is exciting! This is immersive! And this is excellent! Holy cow! There is so much potential here, so very much going on. While there isn't yet enough to sit and play and play and play for weeks, I know there will be. I know that at some point battalions of 'mechs will be pitted against one another through strategic combat for control of the Inner Sphere. I know that at some point the clans will invade. I know at some point there will be commander skills and rankings. I know that at some point there will be lance and role structure built into the game UI and communications. Watching the development is a blast in and of itself.

This is the one thing I ask of you PGI: Keep talking to us. We want to know what you're working on, we want to have all these great ideas buzzing around in our heads while we wait for them to be realized in development. I know you haven't got details yet, and you don't want to confuse anyone if you have an open discussion and then retract a decision. I guess some people treat the game like it is done and being upgraded, but it isn't. We are a test bed for mechanics and balance and brute force bug catching. Maybe do something to remind people of that - now that this is Open Beta, it is not as clear to new folks that there is this back and forth as the game is built.

I know people get you down with some of their posts on the forums, but for every post that takes you down a peg, remember that most of us are too busy playing the game or waiting for the next big step to stop and write about it. Many of the big Battletech/Mechwarrior fans are content to wait and see what happens. And most people who do complain, despite not using the best of tact, are trying to give feedback that helps - they want the game to be better even if they forget to remind you of that - they took time to explain something rather than just walk away. You have this powerful, driven community. Never shut the door.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users