88 replies to this topic

#41 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Amazing core gameplay that i just love to death. This looks and feels like a Mechwarrior game. Visuals are great, customization too. And i don't know, having different paintjobs on the mechs may sound like a minor thing, but since they've been introduced, the game looks a lot more vibrant and like the Battletech universe.

It just needs bigger maps and more sophisticated gamemodes. Can't wait for that dropship mode.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 16 January 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#42 Harney

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

What have they done right well....

Its a damn fine mech game and to be honest there aint that many about... so i am very pleased its here and was more than happy to back them.

The main point to this game is good team work and for me thats what its all about.

I have had some fantastic matches with other pilots in terms of regrouping mid game ect to win what was going to be a lost match.

The mech models are great and i assume all problems will be ironed out net ping rubber jumps ect ect ...

The maps are great but we are in dire need of some MORE...

The mechlab well i suppose that will improve ....

To all you Neg heads...just be happy that we have this at all....

Edited by Harney, 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#43 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

You know, it's easy to say 'jeez, the forums are so negative, why can't you people just stop the negativity?', but that's a very easily ignored request. It doesn't actually redirect attention away from the negative things, in fact it continues to *draw* attention to them. I will admit that I had been ignoring those requests as well, just like a lot of people, in fact I barely even paid attention to them. But if you ask 'what is *good* about the game?', it makes you stop and realize that, yes, there *are* a heck of a lot of things the game does right. We wouldn't all be here if that wasn't the case.

The mech designs are amazing. Every single one of them is probably the best interpretation of that chassis I've ever seen. They may have some minor issues (i.e. the scaling on a few of them), but overall they're just wonderful.

Sound. What can I say? The whoosh of missiles, the thumps of autocannon, lasers, footsteps, all of it, are just great. They add so much to the immersion. It's not even something you consciously notice, but shredding that atlas wouldn't be nearly so satisfying if your weapons didn't sound so gorgeous while they're doing it.

Overall immersion is very, very good. A big part of this are the two points above, but there are also a ton of other things that help reinforce that feeling that you're really piloting a hundred ton walking wrecking ball of death and destruction. The controls are generally responsive and functional; I don't feel like I'm fighting the interface as much as the enemy. The HUD feels about right (at least to me). The cryengine, maligned as it often is, still presents some awfully pretty visual effects (you haven't seen cool until you've watched a massive brawl from medium range on river city night with the DoF effects disabled).

Overall game mechanics are fairly well implemented and work pretty well. There are glitches (jump jets, ecm, etc), but flaws like MW3's insta-death legging or MW4's lack of damage transfer are conspicuous by their absence. There's actually a reason to put things on arms. Most of the weapons are actually useful (some more than others, but that's still an accomplishment). There's actually a reason to not always pilot the heaviest possible mech. Overall, the basic combat system is solid.

The hardpoint + full mechbay crit slot system works well. There are some weird cases, but overall it steers a pretty good line between allowing customization and keeping designs sane, while promoting a good diversity of chassis.

It's not P2W. Some things you can buy for $ are good (ilya), some aren't (fang), some are overpriced (paint), some aren't (mechbays), but absolutely none of it is brokenly OP. That is *very* important. I would not be playing this game if it had some of the ******** P2W stuff I've seen in other games.

The maps that we have are very high quality. They're pretty, immersive, and generally pretty fun to play on. The mere fact that I haven't been driven insane dropping on the same 4 maps over and over again is a testament to their quality. (Back when I used to play a lot of CS:S, if you decreed to me that henceforth I would only ever be allowed to play on dust, dust2, office, and assault, I would have quit within a week.)

Overall, it's still a very fun game to play. Even with all the flaws, there has to be a reason why I'm still coming back to play it most evenings, and it's because there's still a very good game in there, even if it does struggle to get out at times.

#44 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

• Mechlab customization and options
  • Models / Art
  • Mechwarrior "feeling"
  • F2P "done right"
  • Server stability & scalability
  • Picking up the MW license and actually realizing a game after 10 or so years
  • Getting the feeling across that you are "in the mech" and not just remote controlling a giant robot
  • Not throwing away the background & lore but appreciating it
  • Making a game that is very much focused on skill, not on how much RL people have
  • Adjusting the game to a (mostly) adult audience, not making it into a C0D twitch shooter

#45 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

MWO does right with its mechlab customizations, mech designs, the feel of its weapons. The game does need more explosions tho... I wanna see mechs explode into unrecognizable pieces.

#46 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Kudos to their art and design guys, they are the stars of this dev team. These mechs look incredible, even designs that look completely stupid in other incarnations. I would let this team retool the Unseen if they were allowed. The sound guys also have nailed excellent effects for weapons, they're very satisfyingly pewey.

#47 Original ArchAngel

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 73 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

We are all here because we love this game.. I for one have been waiting for this since MW4 and I'm honestly loving my time in this game! so very fun, graphics are nice, sounds are great, gameplay is fun.. its only beta.. and its already amazing! B)

#48 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I must say i agree with almost everything said in this thread.

And i would like to add my tiny bit:

I just love one of the streets on River City, it si the three way intersection with three big buildings in a somewhat curved shape.
It is speacilly gorgeus when coming from the airport base across the bridge and down the hill it is the street on the right.
I just like a lot entering that three way intersciton fomr that side. It feel perfect in scale and it is beautiful.

#49 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

The visceral feel of weapons fire and impact are really great. I hope we can see more progress on this front because it's something people of all skill levels can immediately appreciate.

#50 Culler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Fundamentally the game feels right. Weapons, bipedal tanks, sounds, killing your enemies is great good fun. Sure there are flaws and balance issues, but the core of the game is great.

All that's really keeping them going is that fun core though. The things attached to that core (balance, equipment, mech building, maps, game modes) that add or subtract from the experience and unfortunately those extra things are practically in balance of good vs. bad.

#51 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Combat. Weapons effects, they all look amazing, and are satisfying to use. The changes to sounds and impact only reinforce this.

The mech designs are all amazing, the redesign crews are doing a great job. Even ugly BT mechs look amazing.

The mechs control great, I love the aiming, the ponderous movement. There's huge strategy involved in movement and positioning, especially in slower mechs. You have to put thought into where you want to go as much as you do about aiming and targetting.

To me, the great looking mechs, movement and combat are the foundations of this game. Everything else is gravy. All the incidental stuff like ECM, paintjobs, community warfare, they are just gravy. Once the kinks get ironed out of that stuff (and ECM will need the mother of all irons, we're talking top of the line theoretical freakin plasma irons here) the game will only go from strength to strength.

I think the foundations for greatness are solid. PGI just needs to work on the stuff that will really elevate the game into something that people will want to keep playing, and paying for.

#52 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Mechlab customization. I've spent more time there than in some fully fledged games.

Overall weapon balances with the extreme freedom players are given. (some small issues remain but I have faith in PGI in this manner)

#53 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

The MechWarrior feel is good, big stompy robots indeed as my little boy claims.
Visuals are darn nice.

#54 Marj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

They do a lot of things right. Basic game mechanics, graphics and sound are all done well. The mechbay, while not perfect, allows a great deal of diversity, mostly without resulting in one or two common loadouts for each variant.

I think a lot of the criticism is there because this game could be so much better if a few major issues were fixed, not because the game is fundamentally bad.

#55 SpajN

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

They really captured to feel of piloting a mech, better than any other mw game.

#56 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

there was a hate fest? Maybe there was a reason for that.

http://youtu.be/3rax27_ZIVM

(No this isnt meant seriously given I actually like the game I just like the show rofl)

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 16 January 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#57 Thor77

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

One thing that really stands out to me is the implementation of the new laser mechanic. They used to be a very low skill weapon in MW4: just hit the button when the crosshair turns red and bingo. Now they require skill, just different form of skill.

Made a wider range of mechs viable. Lights may be annoying right now, but it's good that we have variety on the battlefield instead of all Atlas, all the time.

Founder premium time starts when you want it to. I really appreciated that. There is a ways to go yet before this game is fully awesome, so it's nice that the clock doesn't have to start before the player wants it to.

Reconfigure weapon groups on the fly. There's a little bit of a learning curve with the arrow key/rctrl system, but it is pretty handy and adds to the simulation feel.

ECM. I know some people hate it, but to me it is a great way to keep the game from being dominated by concentrated LRM barrages and Streakapults. I'm not opposed to some further fine tuning, but I think it gives more tactical options to consider, puts more focus on direct fire gunnery (which is what I like to do :ph34r:), and forces pilots to be alert.

As many have said, the visuals and sound effects are excellent. Glowing armor when hit was genius. All weapon sounds are highly rewarding.

OK, I'm gonna have to go play some more now.

#58 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostOy of MidWorld, on 16 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Amazing core gameplay that i just love to death. This looks and feels like a Mechwarrior game. Visuals are great, customization too. And i don't know, having different paintjobs on the mechs may sound like a minor thing, but since they've been introduced, the game looks a lot more vibrant and like the Battletech universe.

It just needs bigger maps and more sophisticated gamemodes. Can't wait for that dropship mode.

I agree, in these ways do PGI not forget the faces of their fathers. I may be a harsh critic, but thats cause I have high hopes lol

#59 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

The core game is pretty good with me. ECM would completely be a non-issue if the netcode was fixed, to be honest. The graphics are certainly very nice and it seems that the game can once more be played on some of the dual core systems I have available to test it with. It even runs when the card is unsupported. :ph34r:

I'm fine with the basic game. I'm hoping stuff will get fixed soon and CW implemented to make it even better. :rolleyes:

#60 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostTaizan, on 16 January 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

• Server stability & scalability

*record screech*
um... Im guessing that whole netcode/lagshield isnt what we're talking about here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users