What Does Mwo Do Right?

88 replies to this topic

#21 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I enjoy the fact that I can play on my $350~ crappy dell laptop and still compete (unless it's against light mechs). I feel like they captured the visual of Mechwarrior pretty well (maps could use a bit of work).

I actually like the way most of the weapons work on their own in a vacuum. It's when certain situations arise that they all have problems whether it's boating or ECM.

#22 NitroDev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I like how the part that you just tried to melt off starts glowing red when it gets hit.
I like the big explosions and the billowing smoke when a component or entire mech is destroyed.
I like the sounds of everything in game, except that chick, she needs to be a little more... provocative :)
I like the look of every mech, they really remind of the MW3 days. All blocky and "function before form" styled.
I like the anticipation of CW/Solaris. I really hope they do it right.

#23 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

• Big Stompy Mechs!
  • Visually awesome-even on lower than low settings
  • Arm Mechanic, There is more of a difference on torso v arm weapons placement compared to previous MW games
  • Lasers being a "duration" weapon, can slash and burn when facing lights
  • Big Stompy Mechs!

#24 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

the mech models look amazing. in some cases they are basically re-imagined and they all look great

the maps, the very few that we have, all look great. art-wise i have no issues at all with PGI. alot (most) of their dev decisions strike me as very odd but whoever is doing the mech models for them is a genius

#25 Major Scumbag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

They take my money without any issues. Anytime I want MC or buy anything. Never had a billing issue what so ever.

#26 Titan Osis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Everything except having an Jenner with ECM so I could feast on the tears of noobs more.

#27 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

• The 'mech redesigns are great
  • Most weapons are well-balanced
  • Hardpoints are interesting and generally well-balanced
  • arm/torso weapon reticules are both interesting and useful
  • Information Warfare (when not effected by jesus-in-a-box ECM) is excellent
  • Maps are great, I just wish there were more of them
  • Balance between different 'mech weight classes is good
  • Weapon and damage effects look cool
  • Skill tree progression is useful, but not overpowered, and not excessively grindy
  • Most weapons sound cool
  • Love the B!tchin' Betty!

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 16 January 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#28 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

The Controls - KB+Mouse works excellent even with my "non-gaming" equipment.
The Mechs - all of them - look fantastic.
The Maps - while not quite big - look fantastic.
The Sound - including B.B. - is fantastic.
The Mechlab - not the layout - i play almost as much there as ingame.
The Weapons - like the Laser work as DOTs, like the visuals of a missile launch, like the sound of the Lasers, Gauss, ACs, MG, Flamer, that quite a few weapons be viable choices with really different characteristics.
No Respawns - calculate the risk of your actions and use your one life per match wise or pay the price for bad judgement.

The game has many strong points and it needs only come together with more polish, balance and content to become great!

Edited by Thorqemada, 16 January 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#29 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

This is probably the best-feeling Mechwarrior game to date, even beating out my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE MECHWARRIOR GAME EVER Mechwarrior 3. The customization is perfect, the hardpoint system is a really solid way of forcing build variety without constraining what people can do too much, the mechanics of controlling your mech and firing your weapons are near perfect, and the strong team focus make this game insanely fun.

All it needs is polish, and polish takes time. We're all looking forward to the days where all our shots register, there are dozens of different chassis to choose from, dozens of maps, Community Warfare, and trees fall over when you step on them. Those things will come in time. Just let the devs buckle down and do what they need to do.

#30 Ogresan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

The mechs look amazing, especially the texture of the panels and the way they interact with lighting.
The weapon sound effects are sweet, too. I run LPLs just for the WompWompWomp! No need to look to see if that AC is reloaded because you can hear it happen!
Their tuna salad sandwiches are to die for.
The controls are also a very big improvement over any other MW I have played. Without 180 buttons to remember my old fat fingers can actually work the controls.
The mechlab is great now that it saves everytime.
Ignoring redundant threads by re...dundant people. =-P

#31 Old Farkas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 124 posts
  • LocationQC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

First : Big stompy robots shooting each other
Second : Art
Third : I love Betty
Fourth : Maps (even if there is not enough of those)

#32 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, I can only agree with what all of you have said; there are a lot of things they've done so very, very right. A few things off my squealing-with-glee list:
* The feel of the 'mechs. A light feels nimble, an assault feels ponderous.
* Step into water, hear the splash, feel big grin on face.
* The sound of pulse lasers recycling. Or UACs (although they removed that sweet growl, didn't they?)
* What's that flying across my field of view? Oh, it's my left arm.
* Looking up and seeing the sky criss-crossed with LRMs.
* Looking up and seeing a Catapult in god-rays on a River City bridge.
* Realizing I actually have to fire UP to hit an Atlas in the chest while piloting a Spider the other day.
* There goes my right arm. And there goes my left arm. Oh, a kill. Oh, another kill! The joy of zombie Cents.
* That match where you're down 2-6, just you and your buddy left, and you pull it off 8-6, with seven kills between you and your buddy.

#33 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Everything is visually realistic ... they nailed that part. I hope to get a better video card to appreciate it.

#34 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

MWO gets alot more right than all the haters will admit

#35 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

As has been said, there are many things that it does right. I could easily name more things that the game has done right than those which is hasn't.

One thing that jumps out at me though, is something that most MMOs don't do well.

That is, player skills being equal, a brand new account is competitive when pitted against a fully skill-unlocked account. People may complain about the skill trees being boring, but the trees do a great job of enhancing the abilities of a mech without making it stupidly overpowered when compared to a newbie's mech.

Edited by The Cheese, 16 January 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#36 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

As has been said, there are many things that it does right. Too many to list in detail here.

One thing that jumps out at me though, is something that most MMOs don't do well.

That is, player skills being equal, a brand new account is competitive when pitted against a fully skill-unlocked account. People may complain about the skill trees being boring, but the trees do a great job of enhancing the abilities of a mech without making it stupidly overpowered when compared to a newbie's mech.

Not only that, but (netcode and lagshield aside) they've actually managed to make 'mech weight not be the sole determining factor of usefulness.

And that's what we all want, isn't it? Player skill, not 'mech weight, being the determining factor in who wins and who loses.

#37 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

The artwork (barring renderer ********) is second to none.

Shame about the rest of it.

Sound - ditto.

And ditto.

#38 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

- a dream come true - the ingame visuals look like the intros of the Mechwarrior 2 games (I'm sure I'm not the only who had this dream).
- the sound effects are pretty neat.
- first time since Mechwarrior 3 I actually "feel" like piloting a 'Mech
- I can relive some good old times back in the heydays of Online-Mechwarrioring

#39 Deamhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 484 posts
  • Location4 Wing Cold Lake

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

The design of the mechs. Specifically the level of detail and lack of smoothness. Even as I type this, the pic of the cat k2 looks like it could be real someday soon.

Even the color they gave it is pretty spot on for a military machine.

Of course IRL it would probably be build to swivel completely, and would be a two seater. One pilot and one gunner.

Edited by Deamhan, 16 January 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#40 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

The good about MWO

- Weight and feel of a Mech is correct. You are the size of an office building and you walk 80 km/h. MW3 would be proud.

- Art design. They managed to take 9.99 sketch art from the 1980's and turn it back into a hip franchise. Squaresoft would give a kidney to have this type of creative brand marketing and demographic acumen.

- Retail market savvy. Mark Pincus would cry a tear for how well the ramp-up was done.

- Sound effects. Low hanging fruit in this mega budget age, but they could have ****** this up so bad for such a low hurdle.

- Map creativity. First time you see the flaming city at night, with flack & air raid alerts, you feel like you are in 3013. Then you realize there is a North Sea drilling platform sitting above the ground as a "command base"; very 1980 cheese.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users