Doing Pacific Rim But Never Done A Mechwarrior Movie... Boo!

50 replies to this topic

#1 CoolLew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 224 posts
  • LocationInnersphere, Chaos March, Terra, South Carolina

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

With CGI they could do an awesome movie based on the Mechwarrior universe, and people would watch it! :angry:

I was so disapointed to see that they are making some "other" giant robot fighting movie. B)

#2 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

It's not about the tech the movie makers have access to, it's about something more important:

Who would you trust to MAKE a MechWarrior/Battletech movie?

#3 Slyfox Elite

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

And Pacific Rim is going to be so bland compared to the stories BattleTech has to offer. I'll probably watch it though.

#4 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Moved this to a place where the topic will feel more comfortable.

#5 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I hope is does smashing well in the box office. Hollywood being the vampire of inspiration it is, will quickly jump on the theme and there will be a couple year run of big stompy robot movies, making the possibility of a true BattleTech film an actual reality. I'm gonna see it, in the theater, no matter what I hear about it beforehand.

#6 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

won´t watch it for one reason...

it´s not battletech, and what´ve seen in the trailers is enough to know that it´s gonna be cheesy as hell...

#7 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

They did have two or three attempts to do a Mechwarrior/Battletech movie, but they fell apart in pre-production due to various reasons. I think the real problem is that, to do a Battletech movie that didn't end up like Starship Troopers, you need gritty realism in both look and story, but Hollywood wants to see giant robots as campy movie fare like Transformers. So the people who could best make a Battletech movie are the ones who wouldn't want it as a realistic war story. It's a very tough formula to make workable.

As for Pacific Rim, it's known this movie is -not- Battletech, though it will share some things with it. It isn't trying to be, so I am perfectly happy and eager to see it. It is, instead, a nod to the old Giant Monster movies from Japan, with the addition of Giant Mecha series thrown in (Evangellion, anyone?). If you are going to see this movie thinking it's Mechwarrior/Battletech, you are cutting yourself off at the knee. Like going to see Star Wars IV: A New Hope thinking it's going to be Star Trek.

Now, if it were titled "Mechwarrior: Invasion of the Clan Biomonsters", I might have an issue with it.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 17 January 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#8 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

I think that Battletech would only work as a series like Game of Thrones, there's simply too much to put into a single movie.

#9 Darius Deadeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 17 January 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

I think that Battletech would only work as a series like Game of Thrones, there's simply too much to put into a single movie.

Problem of course being, that the storyline and lore is stretched across a couple of thousand years.

They could, however, do a series focused around the clan invasion leading up to the Battle of Tukayyid. 2 years of lore, 2 years of Mechwarrior series. Woulnd't be much different from ie making GoT or Battlestar Galactica.

#10 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostDarius Deadeye, on 17 January 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Problem of course being, that the storyline and lore is stretched across a couple of thousand years.

They could, however, do a series focused around the clan invasion leading up to the Battle of Tukayyid. 2 years of lore, 2 years of Mechwarrior series. Woulnd't be much different from ie making GoT or Battlestar Galactica.

Well, a good starting point would be the Sword and the Dagger. You could follow up with the Warrior Trilogy since many events from Sword and Dagger have a impact on that storyline. After that you can either go to Wolves on the Border or jump ahead to the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

A seperate Gray Death Legion series would also work here.

#11 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Because anime sells whether it's really a cartoon or a cartoon made later as live action. (pssst: BT began as a westernized mash-up of Macross/Robotech, Dougram and Crusher Joe mecha - not as Battletech: the anime)

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 19 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#12 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Wow...I came in expecting something kinda cheesy too, but

I was literally blown away.

This is gonna be one of the top 10 movies of the entire year, I swear. Absolutely took every one of my expectations and blew them apart.

Anybody who's saying "no too cheesy/ripoff/etc." - I'm telling you, I had the same exact viewpoint, but once you see it...O.M.G.
I'm going back to see it again, both to catch it in 3D IMAX and because it's just such great, bad-*** flick.

And holy cow if they can do this, they HAVE, HAVE, HAVE to start doing Battletech themed movies. You could make like 40 or 50 movies of the Pacific Rim scale; I mean if they can do it with Star Trek, they can do it with Battletech....

#13 Khabbi

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Best would prob be a anime series . Animation costs the same whether its a show about the middleages or if its mechs shooting at eachother in the future , Would prob cost alot less then a live action green screen 1 hour show each week .

Problem is not really hollywood . The problem is the people who go and see movies like Transformers and GI Joe , Really **** movies that rely on CGI , explosions , bad story lines . But people want to eat pop corn and go to the cinema . And those movies bring in alot of money . So why would Hollywood want to break the mold ?

Lord of the rings was really really good if you ask me , but for the die hard fans there were alot of complaints . Would be the same for Battletech . Its prob better that no movie gets made so we dont have to deal with Micheal Bay making a BT movie eh ?

#14 Remf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just saw Pacific Rim, VERY cool flick. Acting was eh. Plot was kinda predictable, not terribly deep, and had lots of unexplained holes (why not use nukes?? etc.), and required total suspension of engineering and technical plausibility.

Having said that... The Kaiju were GOOD; the mechs were AWESOME. Really, really well done. If you like Big Stompy Mechs, well, the film DELIVERED.

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

I love it.
Pacific Rim is suppose to be a big budget B-movie, campiness and Rule of Cool are the main feature of the movie.
Fans of mecha anime and monster movie will spot a number of nods to the genre.

I demand a second movie.

why not use nukes??

Just finish reading Year Zero, the comic pre-queal to Pacific Rim.
Tactical Nukes used to be the only option to defeat kaiju before the development of jagers.
But the this method is very costly as they have to nuke the city along with the kaiju, if the kaiju make it to land.

Edited by xengk, 15 July 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#16 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

maybe we can get Uwe Boll to make one.

#17 bravo3

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

great movie idea! we can get the starship troopers' peeps to make it ;)

#18 Moonsavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAylesbury, UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I loved it - Cheesy, yes... But, Good story, Brutal fights and amazing physics.

Me likey.

#19 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostFirelizard, on 16 January 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

It's not about the tech the movie makers have access to, it's about something more important:

Who would you trust to MAKE a MechWarrior/Battletech movie?

Ron Howard.

#20 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostRemf, on 14 July 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Just saw Pacific Rim, VERY cool flick. Acting was eh. Plot was kinda predictable, not terribly deep, and had lots of unexplained holes (why not use nukes?? etc.), and required total suspension of engineering and technical plausibility.

Having said that... The Kaiju were GOOD; the mechs were AWESOME. Really, really well done. If you like Big Stompy Mechs, well, the film DELIVERED.

common sense dictates that nuclear strikes would end up killing the entire population from chemical fallout and radiaiton before they killed the kaiju.

Edited by Rasako, 20 July 2013 - 09:57 AM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users