Doing Pacific Rim But Never Done A Mechwarrior Movie... Boo!

50 replies to this topic

#21 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostRasako, on 20 July 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

common sense dictates that nuclear strikes would end up killing the entire population from chemical fallout and radiaiton before they killed the kaiju.

Common sense dictates they know exactly where those things come from and have the means to send one their way every time the alarm starts... it's not like people shy-ed away from nuking the oceans in the past for much less significant reasons.

#22 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Common sense dictates they know exactly where those things come from and have the means to send one their way every time the alarm starts... it's not like people shy-ed away from nuking the oceans in the past for much less significant reasons.

If I remember right, the kaiju came from the portal located at the bottom of the mariana trench, the deepest point in the ocean know to man.
Im no expert but I suspect the problem with that solution is making a warhead that can survive the water pressure, avoid whatever that is defending the portal and home in on the target.

*spoiler*
In the end, they have to do it manually by strapping a nuke to the back of a jaeger and walk up to the portal.

#23 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

View Postxengk, on 21 July 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Im no expert but I suspect the problem with that solution is making a warhead that can survive the water pressure, avoid whatever that is defending the portal and home in on the target.

We have no problems making things that can survive that kind of pressure even today, let alone once we create something as big as those Jagers. Plus, whatever defends the portal is exactly the thing you want to take out. :angry:

#24 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postxengk, on 21 July 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

If I remember right, the kaiju came from the portal located at the bottom of the mariana trench, the deepest point in the ocean know to man.

*spoiler*
In the end, they have to do it manually by strapping a nuke to the back of a jaeger and walk up to the portal.

THat was not the issue. the issue was that they could not get a nuke to go through the portal. and nuking the top of said portal did absolutely nothing besides maybe kill the kaiju that just exited. (seriously, why didn't they just have dropped nukes that just blew up the moment the kaiju left the portal...)

#25 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postdal10, on 21 July 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

THat was not the issue. the issue was that they could not get a nuke to go through the portal. and nuking the top of said portal did absolutely nothing besides maybe kill the kaiju that just exited. (seriously, why didn't they just have dropped nukes that just blew up the moment the kaiju left the portal...)

Yes that would be a great movie, two and a half hours of some guy pressing a button to drop a bomb, brilliant idea. Sarcasm aside if they did that the aliens sending the Kaiju would have just came up with a counter like sending though the bigger nuke proof class 6 or larger Kaijiu sooner.

#26 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Gents, speculation aside, the movie is great, and you should see it on its own merits. It is good summer fun,

#27 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostAdridos, on 21 July 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

We have no problems making things that can survive that kind of pressure even today, let alone once we create something as big as those Jagers. Plus, whatever defends the portal is exactly the thing you want to take out. ^_^

A DSV is alot different from a warhead I reckon.
I have yet to heard about nuclear missile that can be fire from land into water and still stay on course or sub carrying nuclear torpedoes.

View Postdal10, on 21 July 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

That was a plot twist introduce later in the movie, the whole time the kaiju defense force was operating without that knowledge.
Stationing sub with super depth charge or line the portal with mines might be a temporally solution until the alien build an agile kaiju that navigate the bombs or one that can withstand the blast.

View PostFabe, on 21 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Sarcasm aside if they did that the aliens sending the Kaiju would have just came up with a counter like sending though the bigger nuke proof class 6 or larger Kaijiu sooner.

^ That.

Also, pick up and read Tales from Year Zero if you got the chance.
It will explain some of the question about the movie.

#28 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

The problem with Battletech and Battlemechs is that they generally lack some kind of charisma that would make film impact. Remember the first really big robot movies isn't Pacific Rim, but the Transformers.

This I like to see done more than any Battletech.

#29 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostFabe, on 21 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Sarcasm aside if they did that the aliens sending the Kaiju would have just came up with a counter like sending though the bigger nuke proof class 6 or larger Kaijiu sooner.

They got a simple nuke into their homeworld or whatever that was and it killed and destroyed everything. You cna't adapt to something you don't have any information on. See, when they were fighting those robots, it was just about learning their tricks and being prepared for them. But a nuke is an instakill, there's no way they could relay any kind of useful info back to those strange figures on the other side.

View PostAnjian, on 22 July 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

Remember the first really big robot movies isn't Pacific Rim, but the Transformers.

Notice all those similarities with Pacific Rim, by the way? :)

#30 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostAdridos, on 22 July 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

They got a simple nuke into their homeworld or whatever that was and it killed and destroyed everything. You cna't adapt to something you don't have any information on. See, when they were fighting those robots, it was just about learning their tricks and being prepared for them. But a nuke is an instakill, there's no way they could relay any kind of useful info back to those strange figures on the other side.

Nukes were used to stop the Kaijiu while the Jagers were still in development so they do have info on them so even if the portal was mined the invaders would quickly figure out what was going on and counter.

#31 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Maybe all MW fans should get together, get George Lucas and Spielberg to create a Mechwarrior movie that will have a lasting affect like Star Wars....

The first movie could be about the Exodus, the second the house wars, and the third about the clan invasion.....A Trilogy! OMG OMG!!

#32 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 22 July 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Maybe all MW fans should get together, get George Lucas and Spielberg to create a Mechwarrior movie that will have a lasting affect like Star Wars....

The first movie could be about the Exodus, the second the house wars, and the third about the clan invasion.....A Trilogy! OMG OMG!!

George Lucas kinda went crazy and has been steadily working to destroy the star wars franchise. anyone here like 1,2, or 3? episode one was acceptable and a decent movie on it's own merits, but it was not star wars quality. episode 2 i mostly forgot, the only part a remember was the light saber fight with yoda. i haven't even bothered with 3 and everything i have seen as far as video clips just made me angry and i have yet to hear a good review.

if we could go back in time and kidnap george lucas shortly after he completed return of the jedi, when he was good at what he did then i would say yes, but at this point i think we need to take all of his IP away from him so he can't do any more damage. i certainly don't want him near anything that i want to be good.

Edited by blinkin, 22 July 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#33 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

View Postblinkin, on 22 July 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

George Lucas kinda went crazy and has been steadily working to destroy the star wars franchise. anyone here like 1,2, or 3? episode one was acceptable and a decent movie on it's own merits, but it was not star wars quality. episode 2 i mostly forgot, the only part a remember was the light saber fight with yoda. i haven't even bothered with 3 and everything i have seen as far as video clips just made me angry and i have yet to hear a good review.

if we could go back in time and kidnap george lucas shortly after he completed return of the jedi, when he was good at what he did then i would say yes, but at this point i think we need to take all of his IP away from him so he can't do any more damage. i certainly don't want him near anything that i want to be good.

This. 100%. George Lucas has pretty much defecated over everything my child self held dear. I was a massive star wars fan until May of 1999, I will never forget. Or forgive.

If someone did a battletech movie I would want to see the fall of the Star League/Amaris Coup/Kerensky's campaign and end with the Exodus. Hollywood will need to make everything look shiny and clean (and let's not forget the lens flair) so I think the Succession Wars would be poorly represented with this contemporary style. Just one really well made movie that gets people interested and hooked.

#34 PanzerMagier

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'd trust Bethesda softworks Bioware corporation to make a single player campaign ^.^

Pilot orientated action mecha campaign, pilot a mech and also command them when you're not piloting one. A combo of Mech warrior and Mech commander. Simply, epic...

Edited by PanzerMagier, 25 July 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#35 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Pacific Rim, similar to Robot Jox? You got to be kidding.

#36 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

More importantly... Battle Tech takes place over hundreds and thousands of years. The movie would have to be split into an amazing 6 part series with 2 hour long episodes, with 24 episodes per season. Or it would to be about a specific time frame, like Wolf Dragoons leading up to the Clan Invasion with all the known characters, etc.

#37 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

What Battletech needs is to have some kind of cinematic quality, some kind of kind of bad assery, which I kind of feel is lacking in the franchise. Some kind of mystery, a sense of fantastical science or technology. Otherwise its a historical drama played with mechs in the battlefield. That probably isn't enough, unless you want to do a 300 kind of movie with mechs.

Here is some examples from another mech game that I feel has very strong cinematic qualities, and is long overdue for a movie or series of its own.

Edited by Anjian, 31 July 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#38 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

View Postblinkin, on 22 July 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

but at this point i think we need to take all of his IP away from him so he can't do any more damage. i certainly don't want him near anything that i want to be good.

Your wish is my command. Ive just returned from a few months back where I persuaded a relatively unknown company to buy the Star Wars IP... although now we are facing problems of Stormtroopers rebelling against that decission;

Spoiler

#39 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

It's much less likely now. Pacific Rim just bombed hard on its opening weekend. They're hoping on high numbers in China to pull it out of the gutter.

Honestly, a Battletech movie would be a waste. A good HBO or Showtime series would do it far more justice. Even in a 3 hour movie, you would barely scratch the surface of the universe.

Edited by S3dition, 01 August 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#40 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

they are currently at about 230 million in ticket sales. for a completely new ip, that is actually pretty decent. they will probably end in the 300-400 million range for ticket sales. a sequel is likely, though they will probably try and make it cheaper.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users