• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 16 January 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Oh here we go again

"it's a team game"
"im playing it right, your playing it wrong"

Whats the problem? No one can seriously be saying that the matchmaking is working satisfactorily?

Also PUG's are not saying you are playing wrong. PUG's are only asking to be on an even playing field. Whats wrong with that?

But Pugs are on an even playing field, a pug player has access to everything a player who premades has access to.

Now I know you have reasons for not using a 3rd person or VOIP (even if it was in game) and I respect that. I just don't feel it means you should get your own seperate part of the playground.

#22 ROFLwaffle49

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Was it that Street Sharks? Did they hurt your butt?

#23 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

What the above posters aren't taking into account with the oldschool 'L2P' is that there's now an 8 man arena.

That no one except Kong, some ponies, and Kaos uses... I wonder why.

Because farming is easier than war.

#24 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostTarman, on 16 January 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Because farming is easier than war.

And the vast majority of pre-mades, in any game, don't want organized challenge. They want to dominate pugs with as little risk as possible, it wasn't hard to see coming. This a big reason why sock/smurf accounts exist in games with strict rank separation (such as starcraft), because those players would rather steam roll newbies then play against their equals or - flying spaghetti monster forgive - their betters.

Edited by Quxudica, 16 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#25 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Sometimes, it's not pre-mades causing rolls and losses.
Just saying.

#26 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

This certainly is something that needs to happen, yesterday.

Once again, simply putting a premade on each side would solve the issue almost completely, and take a minimum amount of work. When the 8mans are sitting empty, and people are using the excuse of misbalance, to turn around and misbalance pugs, there is certainly a couple problems.

View PostOne Medic Army, on 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Just saying.

No, it's not always. But generally even the most modest premade will admit to an 80% win rate. An 80% win rate for grouping is broken.

Edited by Serapth, 16 January 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#27 Chunkylad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 295 posts
  • LocationIn a place called reality.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

What the above posters aren't taking into account with the oldschool 'L2P' is that there's now an 8 man arena.

I would love to do the 8v8's, but to find 6 other people to play with besides my usual is almost impossible. People who didn't play the older mechwarriors I know tend to just go wtf is that game and leave it at that, never try it or bother to learn it.

I would get a group through pugs I am impressed with, but seeing as there is no post match chat or general chat besides forums that is not possible atm. And forums don't let me get a good judge of skill, can't pilot a mech on here sadly.

#28 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Just saying.

Nobody is claiming this is a 100% thing. I live the pug life and know it's about dying some days and being a god in others. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. Pug life. If you can't hack it then pugs aren't for you (not you personally).

It's about all the hype and bluster that organized team players threw up for ages, until they got a chance to put their AC20 where their mouth was. WE NEEDS 8MANZ FOR OUR ELITE TEAMSKILLS was the cry for a long time, along with claims that these magical millions of large organized groups were the driving force of the entire game and NEEDED full-on team matching or there would be no game.

Well, we got a place for them to play, and guess what? Now the story is OMG 8MANZ IS HARD AND I ONLY HAVE 3 FRIENDS I CANT PLAY PLUS ECM TEAMS SUK IMA GO ROLL SOME PUGS WITH 4MANZ OR DOUBLE 4MANZ BECAUSE THATS STILL WITHIN MY SKILLSET. I'm quite sure any actual teams wanting to 8man are disappointed at the lack of competition, since so many of the lesser team players melted back down into pug arenas where they know they can have a chance.

Again, this is not everyone across the board, absolutes are silly. But most puggers have zero respect for the teamers who are only there because it's easy money.

#29 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostWraith05, on 16 January 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

But Pugs are on an even playing field, a pug player has access to everything a player who premades has access to.

Now I know you have reasons for not using a 3rd person or VOIP (even if it was in game) and I respect that. I just don't feel it means you should get your own seperate part of the playground.

Ah right sorry - because I have not installed a 3rd party application and bought a mic, I should not be entitled to have as much fun as you. Of course sorry your right, I'm so silly.

#30 Neoxaero

Rookie

• Hearing Impaired
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostZylo, on 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

So you created your account and reached this decision within 5 minutes?

Yes, I made this decision in 5 minutes since you can obviously tell how long I've been playing through some sort of divining? I've been playing for about 2 weeks or so at this point. I came over from BF3 since I've gotten bored of that over the last few months.

Considering I've been playing FPS games for the last 15 years or so, I'm not just some random nub that has no idea wtf their doing with a keyboard and mouse.

I had high hopes for this game since I loved the mechwarrior games of the 90's. The game play is fun when you're not getting face stomped and the visuals are quite nice. There just needs to be some balancing done to the game to keep it fun for solo players/small group players.

Edited by Neoxaero, 16 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#31 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

I see no reason why I should go play the try-hards if I just want to derf around with friends. I'm not at the 8 man level, I never said I was, and I have no interest in getting there. I didn't play enough PVP in WoW to get that good, and I didn't raid enough to be a mercenary-daily-raider either. I want to have fun, and losing is not fun.

Now, if they want to add some smart filters and always pit teams versus equally-sized teams, I'm fine with that. I was also fine with the "eight man queue" allowing teams as small as five, but that fell apart.

We play what we are given, in our given skill set. My skill set is in a half-pug team scenario. It isn't my fault that the full pug team is most often a collection of people who make zero effort to work together or communicate effectively.

That's the problem, that's the reason we get so many topics like this. They don't have a sandbox for you 4-man derping-around team, so you would rather kick over castles in the pub queue than get your castle kicked over in the 8's queue.

"I want to have fun, and losing is not fun." Have you considered what it does to the longevity of the game every time you and your friends focus-fire someone in a trial mech with less than 20 matches in yet?

I'm not actually blaming you per se; I completely understand why people do what you do, it is human nature to take the path of least resistance. You have to work with what you've got, but at least be aware of the implications of your actions.

This isn't meant to be inflammatory or a personal attack on you just because you're the guy I'm quoting. I just think that the "it's not my fault pubbies don't join teams" argument is too common and counterproductive.

There definitely should be something between public and hardcore, just don't be so proud and defensive about what you accomplish fighting below your level.

Edited by Warrax the Chaos Warrior, 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#32 Ptom

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Just dont play during american peak hours, or just don't play till they fix the matchmaking system with the next phase.

your only other option is by joining a premade group and making the problem worse.

#33 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

And the vast majority of pre-mades, in any game, don't want organized challenge. They want to dominate pugs with as little risk as possible, it wasn't hard to see coming. This a big reason why sock/smurf accounts exist in games with strict rank separation (such as starcraft), because those players would rather steam roll newbies then play against their equals or - flying spaghetti monster forgive - their betters.

Unfortunately for them, we're getting chess rankings Soon ™, so the carefree days of farming in the ghetto are coming to an end.

Unless they're willing to drop their stats, or start over on new accounts.

#34 Asha Burnett

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hello!

Why not just split the puggers from the premades so everyone could play as he/she likes?
Let the pugger decide if they want being used as a filler for example in a 4+4vs4+3-match and similiar constellations.
Implement the elo-system to let players play with and against others of similiar skill.

The complaints against premades ruining the game for puggers will be over. Although others might occur :ph34r:

With additional improvements of the client to form a premade group and an ingame VOIP, the game experience will be getting better too.

Asha

Edited by Asha Burnett, 16 January 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#35 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

As stated in the OP, you've already spent some cash on MWO, so you might as well try to make the most of it.

Give it another try as a pick-up-group player or even part of a mercenary or House unit, and I'm sure you'll come to appreciate the game even in its current state - alternatively, just wait for the phase 3 of the matchmaker to be implemented before making a definite decision to leave the server.
That is all I can really say in honesty.

People have always farmed pubs and they will try to continue doing that; it used to even worse here, with tons of full 8-man groups on voice prowling the queue, and during that time, I was a solo player myself, being repeatedly stomped by the same groups over and over again.

Edited by Lorcan Lladd, 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#36 DamnCatte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 171 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I can never really tell if these threads are trolling or not...

On the more on topic note, this is not a new thing. If you don't join a group, your only real option is to do your best to get a game plan in place with text chat in the first minute or two of the game. If you're coming from 15 years of FPS games, well, if the enemy team is coordinated well, and comes in with a plan, and you don't communicate with your team, then what happens? Odds are, you die.

#37 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Pugs make pugging awful. The amount of times I've been insulted for asking for callouts or suggesting plans is ridiculous.

I suspect at this point I should just join a clan and do 8v8s, but I don't always have time for that so I do 4 mans. Do we crush pubs? Yeah usually, but when they walk into 4 mechs 1 at a time or stand out in the open as some random LRM boat dumps 400 missiles on their head it's hardly surprising.

I look forward to ELO for pugging, I want to play with or against non bads.

#38 Rahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBlaine Washington

And i wonder why that is drop in a 8 man is about as fun as grinding your teeth.

get 8 cue up
possibly wait for it to find a match may take a few times

find a match other team is running 6 atlas ecm and 2 ravens ecm

really not that much fun to be had..

i know our unit would like to be more old school since we came from that, oh you know 2-2-2-2 , 1-2-3-2, 1-3-2-2, set ups like that instead of boring *** 800 tons of same mech over and over.

than the fun of fighting same teams over and over again.

once they and if they finally figure matchmaking out more will play it again.

hell the pops dropped so low that que up and some nights it fails to find match's alot.

Devs keep giving us crap patchs, more lights we don't need since lagshield and hit boxs are still broke. failure to fix bugs that been around since closed beta for some people etc.

Pugs QQ until devs catered to them and made it worse. They haven t fixed 2-4 man sync drops as of yet, but thats pretty rare when you run into them, but it does happen.

this game still should be in closed beta and re-worked in some areas, but PGI is prob wanting some more return on it. like the 5 mill plus they got from selling founders wasnt enough. All the refunds and people quitting do not help at all.prob had to refund few hundred thou from people wanting there money back.

but yet again here comes another headache mech in this spider with ecm and a hero commando. they are trying to make money they lost from refunds back with all the people leaving. than to push to these hero mechs.
\
Hero mechs= MC
trying to make some cash back

worse is they dont even really talk with us anymore like they use to. No communication is bad, but hell, when you have so many people crying about this or that, id get sick of it too.

just readin all the complaints on here has gotten into one big drama factory.

Communicate with us more
fix outstanding problems
Dont tell us you will be putting this this and this in at a certain date and not do it.
etc

more people troll this forum now than play the game it seems

#39 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Guess what, just in a 1-8 roll on Frozen City.
The enemies all went through the tunnel and nobody on our team said anything until they were almost out.

Was it a premade that made us lose? No.
Was it bad positioning and a lack of scouting? Yes.

#40 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostNeoxaero, on 16 January 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Yes, I made this decision in 5 minutes since you can obviously tell how long I've been playing through some sort of divining? I've been playing for about 2 weeks or so at this point. I came over from BF3 since I've gotten bored of that over the last few months.

Considering I've been playing FPS games for the last 15 years or so, I'm not just some random nub that has no idea wtf their doing with a keyboard and mouse.

I had high hopes for this game since I loved the mechwarrior games of the 90's. The game play is fun when you're not getting face stomped and the visuals are quite nice. There just needs to be some balancing done to the game to keep it fun for solo players/small group players.

I just asked the question because of the time shown on your forum account.

I just find it strange that your forum account shows "member since" as 5 minutes before your post when I mouse over your name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users