5 replies to this topic

#1 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

is there no way that different games will like the same overclock settings? i can run 3d mark at 720p at 1100 core clock and no problems. but crysis 2 will only accept 1095 with a +20 board power and mwo/dead space 2 will only accept 1050 with a +10 board power. is this the harsh reality and ill have 20 different profile for different games? WHAT is the limiting factor here?

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Different games have a different CPU usage, so while one Game may run the other exceeds the limits of your CPU.
OC your CPU and test it with the most demanding piece of Software you have and only go to that limit, now every other Software/Game should run flawless.

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

you're talking about gpu clocks right?

I know nvidia has some sort of toolbox you can use to make "if this runs, then do this" rules. I forgot what it was called.

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Take a log of GPU utilization and temperature. I suspect that your GPU gets hotter on the more GPU demanding titles and can't OC so far.

#5 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

no, the temps never rise above 50C. i stopped using the board power limit and started to actually raise the core voltage with asus gpu tweak and clock with trixx.i use heaven 3d to benchmark and got to 1130 core with 1.168 voltage from 1.138 temps were at ~50C.

#6 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Marty's got it.

The limiting factor is the stability of your GPU; it's just that even if you push your GPU beyond its stable limit, some games won't stress it enough for it to matter.

Typical OC doctrine is that you pick the MOST intensive thing you'll ever run, OC your chip to the highest it'll go in that, and then that's your highest stable clock. For instance, when we CPU-OC, the term most of us use if "Prime Stable", to describe a stable OCed CPU, as a reference to Prime95, which is basically the go-to software for ensuring stability, precisely because it works the chip harder than any real-world application would. Heaven is a good benchmark to represent a high gaming load, but make sure you really ramp it up to test things. Obviously, the real torture testers like Furmark will still stress more to ensure stability, but I don't endorse running that software, because it's massively beyond what any game will ever do (imo, it's excessive even for a stress test).

Since you have a lot of temperature leeway, raising the voltage is the way to go for the moment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users