372 replies to this topic

#361 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

@Egomane:

You are just doing your job there, however I have to say with the complete lack of documentation as to what has been disabled in the client it is essentially not possible to tweak via user.cfg alone either. This is not a standard cryengine implementation any more, and zero documentation, or even a good reason for why no documentation.

So yes, this thread was killed. As usual with little communication and heavy handed discipline, and not so much as a public thank you either. Without the kind of cryengine skills and testing Pada and others brought to the table it is as dead as the Necropolis of Azaar.

And while we are about it, I for one do remember how the efforts of SjurWarEagle in improving statistics were killed either through negligence or indifference or ineptitude. Take your pick. Or how did PGI break the stats page enough times for him to just say "effitt"? Note that this was before the data format changes, so no excuse there.

If I am wrong, certainly, lets have the evidence.

Edited by Hammerhai, 05 September 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#362 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Documentation on what values are changeable and their allowed ranges would be immensely helpful.

I don't begrudge PGI for securing their client software, just for the length of time it took for them to finally add in user config options for disabling Film Grain etc.

The silly thing about the download that violated the rules on modifications to the game files, was that his modifications did nothing. The game client ignores any extra files dropped into the MWO directory/s. Overrides stopped working nearly a year ago on September 3rd 2013 I think it was. I should know, because this used to be my signature for the longest time. "Remember, remember! The third of September, the graphical override and loss; I know of no reason why the graphical override should ever been lost!"

Please remember that Colonel Pada Vinson was stopping the user.cfg tweaking irregardless of what happened with this last update and the Moderator.

#363 Igor Kozyrev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • 1,881 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia, Siberia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

I literally cannot see any difference between lowest and highest cfg files except shadow :mellow:

#364 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostIgor Kozyrev, on 22 September 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

I literally cannot see any difference between lowest and highest cfg files except shadow :mellow:

That is because most variables were locked a couple of months ago to prevent cheating (zero fog, no cockpit -- you can probably find it on YouTube). It would have been enough to lock out a few crucial parameters, but instead we have almost everything blacklisted now. This is also why disabling PostAA is no longer possible, so everyone gets ghosting/motion blur all the time.

#365 Igor Kozyrev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • 1,881 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia, Siberia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

Oh… That's really sad.

#366 Yazleb

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

8/12/2014

Update for everyone, I'll no longer be providing the user.cfg files any more updates. I've created a final package for the community that is still playing MWO, and would like to take the time to thank everyone over the past 3 years for their help in making the user.cfg possible.

We achieved some great things with the user.cfg files, enabling many players to play over the years with higher framerates and visual fidelity.

I wish all you mechwarriors the best of luck in the future, I may be around once in a while, but I am moving on to Heavy Gear Assault.

You can download the final package from [redacted]

Since egomane and PGI killed this topic, I'm calling it quits. Good luck out there.

*Salute*

Vinson

Thank You Sir, you helped me so very much with FPS and visuals over the years. I look forward to seeing you in Heavy Gear alpha!

And just for the record, as game developer myself, I think it is wrong how they've treated this franchise, the game, the balance, and most importantly THE COMMUNITY over the years. PGI has a lot to make up for. Learning how to solve their crytek issues would be a start.

Thanks again!

#367 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

Grey Ghost,
I've started using your "lowest_no_shadows.cfg", and liked the results, overall.
Previously, I just tried turning settings down, and with your .cfg file the game is prettier, AND my frame rate stayed around 50+ fps most of the time.

However, when a bunch of LRMs start flying, they seem to affect my frame rate more than they did with plain low settings. It's worse since the latest patch. LRMs drop my frame rate into the 20s or teens, making the game really choppy. I also see myself teleporting when this happens. This teleporting means my direction changes 30 degrees or so every time, often every couple of seconds. It wasn't cool when I was suddenly facing a teammate's back, and I had just dropped the hammer on a Gauss round.

Any suggestions as to which line(s) I should change to keep LRMs from bOrKing my frame rate?

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 14 March 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#368 Boss Hawg

• Pip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 14 March 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

Grey Ghost,
I've started using your "lowest_no_shadows.cfg", and liked the results, overall.
Previously, I just tried turning settings down, and with your .cfg file the game is prettier, AND my frame rate stayed around 50+ fps most of the time.

However, when a bunch of LRMs start flying, they seem to affect my frame rate more than they did with plain low settings. It's worse since the latest patch. LRMs drop my frame rate into the 20s or teens, making the game really choppy. I also see myself teleporting when this happens. This teleporting means my direction changes 30 degrees or so every time, often every couple of seconds. It wasn't cool when I was suddenly facing a teammate's back, and I had just dropped the hammer on a Gauss round.

Any suggestions as to which line(s) I should change to keep LRMs from bOrKing my frame rate?

I would try adjusting particles.

#369 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostBoss Hawg, on 21 March 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

I would try adjusting particles.

I changed e_ParticlesMaxScreenFill from 32 to 20. So far, so good.

#370 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

Does anyone know if there's a current (post-2014) way to set custom screen resolutions? My monitor's 1920x1080, and I would love to be able to play at 960x540.

#371 MatterBeam

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 12 April 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

I changed e_ParticlesMaxScreenFill from 32 to 20. So far, so good.

How would I go about modifying this parameter? Skimming through this thread, I read that the last user.cfg file posted is about a year old, and since then many graphical overrides have been 'blacklisted'.

#372 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

The only reliable way to check is to add the tweaks into user.cfg one at a time, and test for the difference (or lack thereof) over multiple matches.

MWO generates the Omicron.log file when it runs, and it will show "[Warning] Unknown command:" messages. However, these do not cover all user.cfg parameters, and also get added for some parameters that clearly work (like cl_fov).

#373 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostYuGiOhMonster, on 09 May 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

How would I go about modifying this parameter? Skimming through this thread, I read that the last user.cfg file posted is about a year old, and since then many graphical overrides have been 'blacklisted'.

I'm using the "lowest_no_shadows.cfg" file from Grey Ghost.
I had the file open in the text editor, and used the "Find" function to search for lines about particles.
When I saw the parameter "e_ParticlesMaxScreenFill" I thought that was the one to try.
So, I reduced the value, and sure enough LRMs don't screw with my frame rate like they used to.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users