The Hard Core Folks Are Going To Have To Accept. . .

214 replies to this topic

#41 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

do they have the info that PCPs and lrms dont do damage inside minimum range in game yet? I cant remember

Well, I do end up telling people (often) about the LRM's inside 170m...
I would think not, Bhudda.

Heck,I didn't know that PPC's are useless inside minimum range.

#42 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 20 January 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

No, "you" and those like you are going to have to accept the fact that this game is not for the "I win button types" or the "low information voter types" Wow, you mean you mite have to actually have to have some skill and coordination and god forbid "use your brain?" The horror of it all!! After 400 games you should have a very good idea of how this game works, the only thing you should be working on it this point is "how to build better mechs, and "working on your shooting skills"

your name seems familiar

Posted Image

#43 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 20 January 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

No, "you" and those like you are going to have to accept the fact that this game is not for the "I win button types" or the "low information voter types" Wow, you mean you mite have to actually have to have some skill and coordination and god forbid "use your brain?" The horror of it all!! After 400 games you should have a very good idea of how this game works, the only thing you should be working on it this point is "how to build better mechs, and "working on your shooting skills"

As much as the OP is being silly, your condescension is worse. It's not even accurate.

#44 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

do they have the info that PCPs and lrms dont do damage inside minimum range in game yet? I cant remember

Not that I remember in the ones I saw but I might have glossed over that since I knew it. It is another important one to have though. Funny how many times I see people using LRM's in close and getting nothing for their trouble.

#45 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Are there no old farts here apart from me?
In Ye olde days (about 20 years ago) we used to buy games that had instruction manuals the size of a small cottage, yet we never read them and played the games just fine.
My wife has never played an FPS in her life, yet within a few games she was playing great, and has been one of the highest scorers in most matches since!

MWO has a learning curve as steep as any FPS, i.e none.
I honestly can't believe anyone can move their legs in a different direction than their torso and get confused. I thought PGI were joking when they posted that. Although....i usually think PGI's post are jokes :(

#46 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostM4rtyr, on 20 January 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Not that I remember in the ones I saw but I might have glossed over that since I knew it. It is another important one to have though. Funny how many times I see people using LRM's in close and getting nothing for their trouble.

well given that in the game you SEE the *** hit animation in too close, so that isnt telling you that you didnt hit, same with LRMs. You SEE that they hit and look like they should do damage but you dont.
I said the exact dame stupid thing in CB

View PostWolfways, on 20 January 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Although....i usually think PGI's post are jokes :(

especially the ones with timelines

#47 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

In Ye olde days (about 20 years ago) we used to buy games that had instruction manuals the size of a small cottage, yet we never read them and played the games just fine.
My wife has never played an FPS in her life, yet within a few games she was playing great, and has been one of the highest scorers in most matches since!

I honestly can't believe anyone can move their legs in a different direction than their torso and get confused. I thought PGI were joking when they posted that. Although....i usually think PGI's post are jokes :(

I don't get this mentality at all. So you don't read manuals and jump in, therefore everyone else should too? What exactly is your objection to tutorials and some documentation? Some RTS gamers I know would be lost in MWO does that mean they're lazy, or does is simply mean they have no prior experience with the genre?

#48 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I don't agree with the OP. 3rd person and non-throttle movement don't do anything.
They won't make players target opposing mechs. They won't make them use heat view or night view when they don't see where they are running. They won't make them better scouts if they don't ever tell their team what they see.
They won't improve their aiming or make them understand the difference between the crosshairs for torso and arms.
I could go on all day. These things won't do anything except make MW less MW.

What we need is a forced tutorial that every new player has to go through before they can join matches.
A tutorial where everything is explained, all controlls, correct movement, weapon groups, targetting, ECM, different weapons,...

Edited by Roadbuster, 20 January 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#49 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

This game is not hard to learn. It is hard to master, but not hard to learn. Just play about five to ten games and you should know all the basics. Most new players that think it is too hard, probably come from FPS games where you can run and randomly spray shots and get multiple kills each game. In MWO you will see many games where you don't get any kill, getting a kill in MWO is an achievement, unlike in most other FPS games. Getting five or more kills in an MWO game takes a great deal of skill and or luck. So focus on staying alive and contributing what you can to your team, but don't expect to be able to get one shot kills, or get the most kills after only playing a few games.

If all the features that the "it's too hard" crowd get put in to the game (i.e. respawns, 3rd person for anyone other than spectators, no throttle, no torso twist), I will definitely move on.

#50 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

That was back when you could earn a lot of money just by knowing how to operate a DOS based PC. Most people who had PCs and the knowledge to get a game working on those old PCs were probably a bit smarter than average. Today, most kids learn how to play on console systems that are designed to have very low learning curves, or have played mostly WOW type games that give you rewards and achievements for next to no effort.

#51 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 20 January 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I don't get this mentality at all. So you don't read manuals and jump in, therefore everyone else should too? What exactly is your objection to tutorials and some documentation? Some RTS gamers I know would be lost in MWO does that mean they're lazy, or does is simply mean they have no prior experience with the genre?

I don't have an objection to tutorials. I just don't understand why anyone would need them.
EVE has a learning curve...and i think it may be the only game i've ever played that took some time to learn the basics.
As i said before, my wife played a few games and plays great, and she's never played an FPS. MWO is a very simple game.

#52 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostWolfways, on 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

I just don't understand why anyone would need them.

You can't possibly be serious. You can't comprehend how people who are not Wolfways (and his wife) need tutorials?

I'm trying my damnest not to be rude here you realize.

Edited by Thirdstar, 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#53 Komtur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 278 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Why 3rd person view?

Do you have 3rd person view when you are driving your car?
So why a 3rd person view for a Mech simulation?

Otherwise you can play table top and you will have a 3rd person view.
:(

#54 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 20 January 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

You can't possibly be serious. You can't comprehend how people who are not Wolfways (and his wife) need tutorials?

I'm trying my damnest not to be rude here you realize.

For MWO? No.

lol i know how it makes me sound. I sucked in MWO for the first few...weeks maybe. But not because i didn't understand how to play, but just because i wasn't used to it.

Edited by Wolfways, 20 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#55 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

No. No we don't. What we need is a tutorial mission and a free-play map where you can run around solo and practice with your mech shooting dummy targets, as well as proper matchmaking. Dropping fresh-faced players straight into a match with no filtering on who they play with is a recipe for disaster.

#56 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

View PostWolfways, on 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

I don't have an objection to tutorials. I just don't understand why anyone would need them.
EVE has a learning curve...and i think it may be the only game i've ever played that took some time to learn the basics.
As i said before, my wife played a few games and plays great, and she's never played an FPS. MWO is a very simple game.

Dude the game needs a tutorial. It's part of making the game fun to "NEW" players. Showing them how to blow off limbs and use lock on hit the x key to stop your mech to a dead stop. Set up weapons so they don't alpha each time or think they have to hit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to use their weapons when they could just map 1 and 2 unless they want 1-5 control. Etc its very needed. Telling them they have thermal and crappy night vision. New people need a basic tutorial so they don't get overwhelmed and quit never retuning to the game.

#57 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Dude the game needs a tutorial. It's part of making the game fun to "NEW" players. Showing them how to blow off limbs and use lock on hit the x key to stop your mech to a dead stop. Set up weapons so they don't alpha each time or think they have to hit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to use their weapons when they could just map 1 and 2 unless they want 1-5 control. Etc its very needed. Telling them they have thermal and crappy night vision. New people need a basic tutorial so they don't get overwhelmed and quit never retuning to the game.

Aren't there training videos that explain all that?

#58 Biruke

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationMsk, RF, Terra

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Why the hell would anyone need a tutorial. just run through the key settings and you see all possible actions. if not, you'll learn it in action.

I've played rather many games so far and never ever I have wasted my time reading tutorials, lmao.

When I buy something, including tv-sets, computers, any digital staff - I never ever open a tutorial. Oh, sorry, I'm lying, one thing always makes me look into the tutorial - new washing machines - you always have to look up what programms are for washig your socks :(

there's a good saying here: the Russian open the tutorials only when the thing is already broken. That's true.

#59 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostBiruke, on 20 January 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

one thing always makes me look into the tutorial - new washing machines - you always have to look up what programms are for washig your socks :(

That's what the wife is for :(

#60 Iphariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 242 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostLukoi, on 20 January 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Actually none of his suggestions are necessary for helping the learning curve.

[....] a way to build mechs IN-GAME before wasting c-bills potentially (as opposed to the outside game community options, which are great...but let's be realistic, no game should rely on its playerbase finding this stuff) and the list goes on.

EVE-Online needs a lot of tools and it works great this way. But a section on the site for tools and links would be nice, so that they are all easy to find.

Edited by Iphariel, 20 January 2013 - 11:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users