I Haven't Seen An Awesome Mech For 30 Matches In A Row.

183 replies to this topic

#61 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

my biggest problem with the awesome is mm. you are getting match with enemy assaults that out class you in armor/ firepower/tons.

it also has armor close to heavies and firepower close to mediums/heavy (depending on variant and build but just a rough average) but nowhere near the same agility. as the smallest assault it also has the biggest head (looks like x3-4 size hit box) that is situated in the easiest place to hit. last thing is, its short! making it much harder to aim because the weapons feel like they touch the ground.

despite all of this it is still my first love. it looks awesome and the cockpit is nice and open. i think if they add tons to mm, it can possibly be one of the more powerful mechs. picking an awesome could potential give the rest of your team 20 extra tons eg. a team with 2 awesome vs a team with 1 atlas and 1 dragon, that "could" be scary.

#62 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Upcoming confirmed assault mech Zeus:

weight: 80 tons
speed: 64.8 km/h
weapons:

1xLarge Laser
1xLRM-15
2xMedium Lasers
1xAutocannon/5

sounds a bit similar to the awesome with the added bonus of that ballistic slot...
hope they don't make it way better than the awesome and then it will still be crap.. lol

Edited by Mazzyplz, 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#63 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

View Postsomedood, on 21 January 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

How are you fitting 3LL and 1xSrm6 and 2xSrm4 in a 9M with an XL 385? With endo steel I'd still have to drop a lot of armor to fit a 3rd LL - and that's not even considering another Mlas. Are you just running around 16 heatsinks?

Something like this I believe http://mwo.smurfy-ne...459406e63e8e2be although I'd swap 1 SRM4 for an SRM2 (so that both missile launchers would spit out 3 salvoes each) and get to 20 DHS or 1 extra ammo for the rockets:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a2a6b34847c3646

However I don't have any engine above xl 360 and I'd need to buy it for the 9M only.. I prefer to stick with a similar build using a 325 std, much more relentless than getting easily side cored.

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

despite all of this it is still my first love. it looks awesome and the cockpit is nice and open. i think if they add tons to mm, it can possibly be one of the more powerful mechs. picking an awesome could potential give the rest of your team 20 extra tons eg. a team with 2 awesome vs a team with 1 atlas and 1 dragon, that "could" be scary.

Yes I love the cockpit view too.. I also like arm yaw and torso twisting in general. I'm also fond of the couple of dual tube launchers on the 9M, when using SRMs you can have pretty tight spreads/good crit seeking weapons in there.

#64 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

weapons:

1xLarge Laser
1xLRM-15
2xMedium Lasers
1xAutocannon/5

sounds a bit similar to the awesome with the added bonus of that ballistic slot...
hope they don't make it way better than the awesome and then it will still be crap.. lol

sounds like a 80 ton phract

#65 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 21 January 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

I'm holding myself for a Flame.. at the moment the only Variant I could think out of it is using an AC20, but to run it the best engine I can fit is a 285 and I can't stand to run any Dragon below a 300.. and I'd end up running it as the 1C so for the moment it's not a priority.

The Flame is very nice. I bought one and levelled it up over the double XP weekend. Put in DHS, slotted in an XL engine and added a coconut monkey. It goes 95 kph with speed tweak, gauss, 4 ML and an SRM6 with almost full armour. I'm still getting the hang of it but it's very agile. Great for zooming up behind an assault or heavy, blasting away and then zooming off. My K/D ratio must have been about 2:1 over many games (good for me) and on a couple of occasions I accounted for 5 of the opposing team (they must have been drunk).

I noticed my damage was a lot lower than I would get for the same kills in an assault, which reflects the more surgical nature of the Dragon. Basically I'm getting kills by using speed/agility against the target's rear armour rather than blasting through the CT from the front.

(I know you can run the same load-out on a 1C, but the Flame puts all the lasers in the arms whereas the 1C splits them between torso and arm - which I find incredibly irritating).

#66 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

weapons:

1xLarge Laser
1xLRM-15
2xMedium Lasers
1xAutocannon/5

When or where has the Zeus been confirmed or announced by PGI?

#67 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 21 January 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Yes I love the cockpit view too.. I also like arm yaw and torso twisting in general. I'm also fond of the couple of dual tube launchers on the 9M, when using SRMs you can have pretty tight spreads/good crit seeking weapons in there.

i tell everyone the same thing about the 9m launchers. its like free artimus.

#68 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 21 January 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

sounds like a 80 ton phract

Yep, we'll see how it will be.. Unfortunately we'll have to wait a long time before seeing one available, I guess the next will be the Trebuchet than the Jager and finally the Highlander, the latter will still be pretty unfavourable vs an Awesome.

View PostRocketDog, on 21 January 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

(I know you can run the same load-out on a 1C, but the Flame puts all the lasers in the arms whereas the 1C splits them between torso and arm - which I find incredibly irritating).

Yes I run the same on the 1C and it taught me how to deal with Arm-mounted ballistics, something initially made me mad. However man, we're diverting from the focus of the topic which is the AWS :D

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 21 January 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

i tell everyone the same thing about the 9m launchers. its like free artimus.

Yep, but still I find SRM4's to fit best for those launchers, SRM6 still tend to open up a bit and the third salvo makes them narrower to use, since you need a static/shutted down or slow moving target to really put them all in.

Edited by John MatriX82, 21 January 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#69 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Fast Awesomes are still viable. However, that's the only real advantage I'd give them.

#70 Starburster

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

After the Stalker hit, I think most people saw little to no reason to pilot on AWS over one of them. I know I saw a few of them this weekend but they were in the minority for assaults. Heck, I think the only time I recall seeing a lot of them is when they were in the trial rotation...

I am going to go with the sentiment I have seen others echo. Being the lightweight of its bracket makes it a hard choice for people to make. Something that also seems to plague the Dragon and to a lesser extent the Cicada too, but at least they have a noticeable difference in speed to draw players to them. I can only imagine what the Flea will be like :D

#71 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Don't know about you, but I'm having fun with my 8V, 8T and 9M.
Just have to find a build that suits your playstyle and everything is fine.
Sometimes if I "find" a group of opponents, I die fast. But that also happens with other mechs.

The Awesome is not for everyone, as is the Dragon. You have to change your piloting a bit too. Lots of torso twisting to spread damage and keep your cockpit save. No brawling,
It's not the fastest mech and you won't get too many kills depending on build, because the alpha strike damage is not that high compared to other mechs.

I agree that pulse lasers and PPCs need the announced heat adjustment. The Aswesome could use some stronger engines for all variants, not only the 9M.

#72 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have three Awesomes, all with very good builds that I find fun to use on the battlefield, but they are easy to kill. I will admit that. Also I can get more damage running in my 70ton Ilya then my 80ton Awesome by almost double.

Still one of the best looking mechs out there though :D

#73 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostPtom, on 21 January 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

I don't know what has to be done, but people obviously feel it's inferior to everything else out there.

A big part of why they don't get love is the class system and how the matchmaker matches by class. Yes, Awesome is an assault, but it's 20 tons less than an Atlas. It's going to be inferior if you try to use it in exactly the same role. Get away from "all assaults must do x" and start thinking of assaults as being able to play a variety of roles and you'll find a place for the Awesome. And if we have tonnage-based or BV-based matchmaking, instead of the current class-based matchmaking, we'll be able to run an Awesome guilt-free: maybe that'll bring more of them out.

View PostxZaOx, on 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Awesome is just not awesome. Atlas beats it any given day. Way more armor and can actually brawl.

This is what I'm talking about. I can brawl in a number of mechs, but if I try to brawl with an Atlas in a Cat, I'm probably not going to win. Does that make the Atlas better than the Cat? No. It makes me a bad Cat pilot for thinking a mech 40 tons lighter could handle an Atlas one-on-one in a brawl. Why do people not think of the Awesome in the same light?

I don't feel that it's inferior to everything else. I had a bit of work left to do on my Awesomes, so the double XP weekend was perfect for that. I had a few really spectacular games this weekend: I got a couple of really nice Atlas kills in my sniper build, and there was one game in particular where I stumbled onto two Atlases in my 9M and used cover and ran circles around them until one went down.

One of my teammates started in trashtalking the Awesome, talking about how it is simply inferior to the Stalker. I pointed out the significant differences: yes, you can get basically any loadout on a Stalker that you can get on an Awesome plus more, but you can't turn or twist worth a damn in that monstrosity and you don't have arms. He insisted that his Stalker was better, so I proposed Zellbrigen to defend the honor of the AWS. I took my 8T into combat with his Stalker, and left him a smoking wreck :D Now tell me the Awesome sucks! :P

I recognize problems with the Awesome; it's got big hitboxes, it's a bit slow on the 8-series chassis, but you've got to take the good with the bad. It's got good torso twist and great arm action, and while it might be slow, the max engine gets it to a sensible level. It's got to be piloted differently than an Atlas: they're very different mechs.

View PostLegolaas, on 21 January 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

lolz

lolz indeed. I have never felt threatened, let alone been killed, by a Centurion when running an Awesome. Ooh, those streaks and MLs really have me shaking in my boots! :D

Edited by FerretGR, 21 January 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#74 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

View Postsomedood, on 21 January 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

How are you fitting 3LL and 1xSrm6 and 2xSrm4 in a 9M with an XL 385? With endo steel I'd still have to drop a lot of armor to fit a 3rd LL - and that's not even considering another Mlas. Are you just running around 16 heatsinks?

I built my 9M around an XL 375. Same weapon loadout but more heat sinks:

AWS-9M

I don't run it solo, but as Skaroth said, it can be effective when we run them together.

#75 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

@OP My TX-2 begs to differ http://mwomercs.com/...can-truly-fear/ :D

Edited by TexAss, 21 January 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#76 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostLusankya, on 21 January 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

I see the Awesome every once and a while (every few matches) and the people driving them seem to like the mech quite a bit. For an assault mech it can be quite fast and maneuverable which is nice.

Only the 9-m is fast, unless you are referencing MWO in august 2012.

View PostRoadbuster, on 21 January 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Don't know about you, but I'm having fun with my 8V, 8T and 9M.
</p>You would do better with the 8-R instead of the T or the V. LRM or SRM wise, it is a better platform. =/

Edited by Phades, 21 January 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#77 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

As for how bad the rest of the Awesome chassis compared to the 9M are:

I didn't even drop in the other two -- just bought them and spent GXP getting them to 8/8. They are horrible compared to the 9M.

#78 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostPhades, on 21 January 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

You would do better with the 8-R instead of the T or the V. LRM or SRM wise, it is a better platform. =/

I think the 8T is the better mech because of the arm-mounted energy hardpoints. I have similar builds: my 8T is 4LL, 2SRM6, my 8R is 2LL, 4SRM6 :D It's a personal preference thing, but I like the versatility of the arm-mounted weapons.

#79 Carnivoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I must be getting all the Awesomes, then. I swear, I see 2-3 every match.

#80 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I love the awesome, its one if not the favorite mech in my lab.

Its funny because the rest of my unit are mystified. I used to primarily run the 8Q with 3 PPCs some extra HS. The 9M superceeded that, provided i dropped down to normal PPCs from the ER.

It is a good mech, the 3 PPC config can enable me to average around 600 damage, ive topped out before on over 1000. But just far easier to get better results in other mechs (even lighter ones).

Part of the problem is the Huge CT. Practically every hit will go to the CT and that means you get cored quickly. Combine this with the Heat of the PPCs, lack of full DHS and throw in lag shield on anything moving over 80 Kph and the awesome becomes less so.

Edited by Squid von Torgar, 21 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users