I Haven't Seen An Awesome Mech For 30 Matches In A Row.

183 replies to this topic

#81 Skaroth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

View Posttoxx1790, on 21 January 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

As for how bad the rest of the Awesome chassis compared to the 9M are:

I didn't even drop in the other two -- just bought them and spent GXP getting them to 8/8. They are horrible compared to the 9M.

Don't you ever work?

<.<

>.>

Edited by Skaroth, 21 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#82 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostKaldor, on 21 January 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

I doubt if PGI will ever implement true double heatsinks. Right now, the way it works, for heavy energy builds, singles can almost be better in some situations. I have run an Atlas RS with 4 LL and 42 single heatsinks for the lulz. It cools much better with the singles than the dubs due to not having any wasted space. The sinks in the motor are true doubles, which actually favors lights and some medium and heavy builds as they may only run 10-14 dubs. For some assault builds, dubs are better as well. Entirely situational.

You can potentially get more heat dissipation and heat capacity with single heat sinks then with double heat sinks, but that doesn't mean the build is better than a DHS build. THe problem with the AWS-8Q for example is - it can only wear energy weapons. Let's say you'd use a 40 single heat sink type build witha bunch of PPCs or Large LAsers or whatever. Now imagine justone of your hard points could have been a ballistic weapon! Suddenly you could install a Gauss Rifle and Double Heat Sinks and fill the rest with energy weapons and have a much more heat efficient mech with the same or more firepower.

On the plus side, the current system with gimped DHS but superior engine DHS and overhot energy weapons leads to people actually mixing weapon types. The negative side is that a mech like the AWS-8Q cannot benefit from this at all and is screwed compared to all the others.

The 8Q was okay when you could still install a larger engine. That allowed people to make fast brawler builds - still doing only something lame as boating medium lasers or medium pulse lasers. But now, with DHS, there are so many other mechs that you can use to build much more effective designs, but the 8Q hard points make it useless, and it's actually difficult to fill it with weapons, heat sinks and engines togethers and utilize all its weight!

#83 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostPtom, on 21 January 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Please give the awesome some love.

I don't know what has to be done, but people obviously feel it's inferior to everything else out there.

LoL, Seems I keep getting grouped with them! :D

#84 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

This thread has been an interesting read. A nice change from the usual negativity, so thanks to everyone for that.

I've elited 3 Awesomes (9M, 8Q, and 8R). My favorites are the 9M and 8R. I haven't really figured out the weapon loadout for the 8Q. I've been switching between 2 PPCs and 2 LPLs on the arm and the rest MPLs. The torso MPLs are pretty good, but run a bit too hot. I tend to prefer PPCs on the arm because I seem to be more helpful to my teammates if I stay back a bit. So I see what you guys mean about the heat dissipation issues. Improving this would go a long way toward making the AWS more viable.

In any case, my plan when I drive an AWS is to pair up with a Cataphract or a Stalker. I see my role as to support them and protect their flanks. I'm not really a 1v1 threat unless the enemy is severely damaged. Unless I'm in my 8R, then my 84 pt alpha can kill just about anything, even an Atlas.

#85 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 21 January 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

You can potentially get more heat dissipation and heat capacity with single heat sinks then with double heat sinks, but that doesn't mean the build is better than a DHS build. THe problem with the AWS-8Q for example is - it can only wear energy weapons. Let's say you'd use a 40 single heat sink type build witha bunch of PPCs or Large LAsers or whatever. Now imagine justone of your hard points could have been a ballistic weapon! Suddenly you could install a Gauss Rifle and Double Heat Sinks and fill the rest with energy weapons and have a much more heat efficient mech with the same or more firepower.

On the plus side, the current system with gimped DHS but superior engine DHS and overhot energy weapons leads to people actually mixing weapon types. The negative side is that a mech like the AWS-8Q cannot benefit from this at all and is screwed compared to all the others.

The 8Q was okay when you could still install a larger engine. That allowed people to make fast brawler builds - still doing only something lame as boating medium lasers or medium pulse lasers. But now, with DHS, there are so many other mechs that you can use to build much more effective designs, but the 8Q hard points make it useless, and it's actually difficult to fill it with weapons, heat sinks and engines togethers and utilize all its weight!

Never said the build was better, did it more to prove a point with some friends. But being able to nonstop fire 4 LLs is pretty good on its own though, heh. I never spent the time to switch to dubs and run a gauss. Mastered the RS a long time ago, and have no desire to play it anymore.

Anyway, back on subject.

#86 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Bad pilots give the Awesome a bad name. When piloted correctly, any variant has the ability to kick some serious ***. I fly like lightning in my 9M, and I fear no Atlas in my 8R.

But it's not a walking turret like most people pilot it. It's a really big heavy, designed to strike sadness into anything it chases down.

#87 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

An Awesome can be an Beast. But its hard to Pilot thoose Monster.
The First Failure is see often, Awesomes try to Brawl. Its not an Brawler. Its an Long Range Support Mech.
His Manoverability is his big Advance as he easy can switch from cover to cover as he follow his Team.
Other Pilots Make him an pure Missleboat and left his energy Slots only for Medium lLasers. But hey, its an 80 Ton Mech, He can carry sick amount of Heavy Weapons and is still good to Drive .
So His Combination of Weapons is most Important .Make use of it, Make sure to have Weapons for all Ranges.Dont Gimp yourself by thinking only in Alpha Strikes.
As he follow his Team he can pick any Target can move from Hotspot to Hotspot. and by using Cover, Torsotwist and his Arms he always get an Good Position for Fire. Then start Havoc. and Move on to your Next Target.
Its his Constant Fire not his Alpha what brings you the Damage in that Mech.His Ability to Fire off an LRM 15 and next Second fire an SSRM6 and some Lasers.Fire his PPC at Ranged Targets , turn your Torso to SIde if Missles coming Walk around an Corner and go on.
Hard to Master, in raw Numbers sure the Looser of the Assault Class, he is still an Awesome Mech to Pilot :D

#88 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I still see the occasional SRM + LL / LPL builds do OK.

The Awesome is a great mech, but it is also Awesome at being a target, sadly.

#89 stemnin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostNRP, on 21 January 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

This thread has been an interesting read. A nice change from the usual negativity, so thanks to everyone for that.

I've elited 3 Awesomes (9M, 8Q, and 8R). My favorites are the 9M and 8R. I haven't really figured out the weapon loadout for the 8Q. I've been switching between 2 PPCs and 2 LPLs on the arm and the rest MPLs. The torso MPLs are pretty good, but run a bit too hot. I tend to prefer PPCs on the arm because I seem to be more helpful to my teammates if I stay back a bit. So I see what you guys mean about the heat dissipation issues. Improving this would go a long way toward making the AWS more viable.

In any case, my plan when I drive an AWS is to pair up with a Cataphract or a Stalker. I see my role as to support them and protect their flanks. I'm not really a 1v1 threat unless the enemy is severely damaged. Unless I'm in my 8R, then my 84 pt alpha can kill just about anything, even an Atlas.

I gave up on the 8Q, and when something is done either to DHS or LPL/PPC we're still going to be inferior in firepower to like a Stalker (I love my 3F too!).

The 9M can get around the map pretty quick, fun to take out the LRM boat hiding in the way back and then just swing around and pew pew large lasers behind the enemy.

Besides these cows are the sex

Posted Image

#90 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 21 January 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I still see the occasional SRM + LL / LPL builds do OK.

The Awesome is a great mech, but it is also Awesome at being a target, sadly.

Hehe yes hes an Awesome Target :D

Use Cover, always, ever, for sure.

He can Fire perfect out of Cover thanks to his Arms.

If you Drive with Friend, an Awesome is an Perfect Trap, as no one can resist attack an Awesome simpy say Hello to your Enemies and Retreat to the Point where your Friends are waiting. hrhrhr

Edited by Braddack, 21 January 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#91 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostSerapth, on 21 January 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Some of the default load-outs are just insane, I just cant fathom what they are thinking. It further compounds the problem when you toss a newbie in these horrifically configured trial mechs. There are some example that are much much much more broken than others.

the default loadouts were great in original Battletech rulesets. The TableTop Version of battletech showed the awesome kicking *** and not overheating much at all. The ComputerGame Version of battletech we're playing does it differently.

View PostSerapth, on 21 January 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

There are a couple advantages to the Awesome. Slightly faster, arms ( a huge advantage and disadvantage depending on the pilot ), torso twist.

That certainly doesn't offset the downside of worse hardpoints, comically large mesh, worse hard points and I believe less armor.

ALL of those things you mentioned depend on engine size. You can test it yourself by putting a 100 or 150 engine in an Awesome, and then trying torso twist and swinging arms around and see how fast those.

The upshot of this is that It's not the mech, but the engine size. So to have advantages, the awesome must spring for a larger engine, meaning less tons for heatsinks and weapons.

Also, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Awesome

Those "stock variants which suck" are carbon copies. If there's a problem with them, its in the translation into Computer game format by PGI.

#92 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Torso twist Speed is also compared with overall Tons. Thats it why the Awesome twists faster then other Assaults.

#93 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostBraddack, on 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Torso twist Speed is also compared with overall Tons. Thats it why the Awesome twists faster then other Assaults.

I have found in my own tests that it is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more dependent on engine size. Try it yourself.

#94 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 21 January 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

I have found in my own tests that it is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more dependent on engine size. Try it yourself.

Youre right, but still the Twist Angle and Speed is better then any other Assault.

#95 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostBraddack, on 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Youre right, but still the Twist Angle and Speed is better then any other Assault.

2% better for -10% combat effectiveness is not a good trade.

#96 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostBraddack, on 21 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

in raw Numbers sure the Looser of the Assault Class,

just to show you that i agree with you i will quote here myself.

#97 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

shrinking the awesomes CT hitbox might be helpful.

#98 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, AWS feels a little lacking at the moment. I'm hoping for some buffs to chassis attributes like torso twist and arm reflex.

Also, the next hero 'mech will be a Marik Awesome.

All hero 'mechs so far (except Death's Knell) are released on a chassis underused at that time. And they are released by faction:
CN9 for Davion
CTF for Liao
DRG for Kurita
COM for Steiner (exception to underused rule due to the overuse of the other iconic Steiner 'mech the AS7)

Now we just need a FRR one and a Marik one. Awesome and Hunchback are the best candidates for Marik, and Hunchback is plenty popular.

#99 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

You don't want to make multi-range platforms because the game moves to <300 meters and stays there. There's no benefit to it, especially when someone else boated 6 SRMs. Which is a problem of hardpoints allowing too many weapons at once.

Edited by BerryChunks, 21 January 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#100 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I love the Awesome. I often run with the 9M variant, with the XL385 engine plus 3mpl, 3srm 4's, and a tag laser. While many people here have already stated the pros and cons of the mech, in the end it's up to how you position your mech in relation to your allies, as well as to enemy fire.

Turning your mech to the side when you're being shot at helps spread out the damage - and it's not hitting towards the more sensitive spot of the mech, such as the center torso. The arms can soak up quite a bit of damage, and usually the awesome's primary weapons are located at the left and right torso. The trick is to know when to find cover, and when to push forward. If you find yourself with a good group or team and know how to provide support, an Awesome can be quite formidable.

I also pilot another variant, the 8R. Instead of packing myself full of srm6's, I swap out two of them for lrm 20's, a tag and 2 medium lasers. I'll be slow as hell, sure, but I have both long - AND - short range capabilities for use. 2 Artemis LRM20's for long range targets, and 2 srm6' plus medium lasers for mechs that think I'm defenseless up close.

For those that underestimate or think the awesome is easy kill...well, I don't mind taking advantage of their prejudice towards it.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users