I Haven't Seen An Awesome Mech For 30 Matches In A Row.

183 replies to this topic

#101 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostBlue Hymn, on 21 January 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

I love the Awesome. I often run with the 9M variant, with the XL385 engine plus 3mpl, 3srm 4's, and a tag laser. While many people here have already stated the pros and cons of the mech, in the end it's up to how you position your mech in relation to your allies, as well as to enemy fire.

That mech sounds horrifically undergunned. You can out gun and run that using a Hunchback. 30 tons of weight for a slightly more armoured slower hunchback seems like a bad deal.

Edited by Serapth, 21 January 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#102 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Bad pilots give the Awesome a bad name. When piloted correctly, any variant has the ability to kick some serious ***. I fly like lightning in my 9M, and I fear no Atlas in my 8R.

But it's not a walking turret like most people pilot it. It's a really big heavy, designed to strike sadness into anything it chases down.

Here we go, thats one of my buddies who kicks arrses with awsomes.

#103 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 21 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

You don't want to make multi-range platforms because the game moves to <300 meters and stays there. There's no benefit to it, especially when someone else boated 6 SRMs. Which is a problem of hardpoints allowing too many weapons at once.

Well, there is some benefit to making a multi-range platform so long as it is "also good at short range."

Large Lasers or AC's + Medium Lasers or SRM's is a great multi-range build. Do a little softening up with the Large Lasers and/or AC's, then combine these with your MLas and SRM's once it degrades into the furball. You aren't a "sniper" and will die if you pretend to be, but you get to do decent damage from afar, and really good damage up close.

SRM's mixed with LRM's are a trickier beast; you basically have one set for long range, the other for short range, making you not particularly shine at either.

#104 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostSerapth, on 21 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

That mech sounds horrifically undergunned. You can out gun and run that using a Hunchback. 30 tons of weight for a slightly more armoured slower hunchback seems like a bad deal.

Actually, it is surprisingly good, even with such armaments. Because of its high speed and maneuverability, it can quickly close in the distance to - let's say, for example, an Atlas - and loop behind its back. With the extra armor, it can weather through more damage, while blasting the rear end of the Atlas with consistent damage. It's flexibility at such speed enables it to also move faster than an Atlas' turning radius, which means you can continue harassing it while the enemy is having trouble to turn around to target the Awesome. A tag laser on the head allows me to paint the target for friendly mechs to focus on while harassing it, while the srms are concentrated close enough to keep the damage focused to where I aim.

The 9M variant I mentioned isn't meant to slug it out against othe assault mechs from far away -- it's meant to support other mechs who are under fire, inflict nasty damage from behind enemy mechs, and have the capability to chase down fast mechs when it is necessary.

Granted, I have not piloted a Hunchback yet, so I can't offer much comparison between it and the Awesome. xP

Edited by Blue Hymn, 21 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#105 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 21 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

You don't want to make multi-range platforms because the game moves to <300 meters and stays there. There's no benefit to it, especially when someone else boated 6 SRMs. Which is a problem of hardpoints allowing too many weapons at once.

I actually tend to get my highest damage output on a build that does exactly the opposite of what you describe.

A D-DC with 2xLL, 1xGauss and LRMs. Regularly gets 1000+ damage, and 3+ kills, unless its a complete roll of a match. Even in the face of a roll, it generally puts at least 200 damage on the board, which is tricky when you have a 4man premade focus firing on you.

If you are pugging, there is advantage to versatility. While 2xLL + Gauss is undergunned against a AC20/3SRM6+Lasers Atlas, it still holds it's own quite well. Especially as the other guy is generally quite beat up by the time we meet.

#106 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostBlue Hymn, on 21 January 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Granted, I have not piloted a Hunchback yet, so I can't offer much comparison between it and the Awesome. xP

The 4SP can easily carry 4MPL, 2SRM6+2tons launchers, AMS+1ton and with a std250 in will run at 84kp/h. That's with Endo, DHS and max FF armour and 2 extra heat sinks (the engine comes with 10).

Hunchbacks (even my 4G) are very under rated.

#107 Kanaric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I see an awesome practically every match. The OP needs to stop lying.

#108 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Actually, I think the most versatile AWS might be the 8T. 2 LLs on each arm and 2 SRM6s + MPL in CT gives a respectable 72 pt alpha. It gets too hot if you alpha or fire the SRMs a lot, but just working the LLs with the occasional alpha, heat isn't really an issue. If the 8T had the 9M's speed, it would easily be my favorite AWS.

#109 b00zy

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

to be honest there is no reason to ever use a awesome it is pretty damn bad and gets cored almost instantly you have to be some sort of ********* like myself to enjoy this mech I would definitely not recommend it to anyone

#110 Frostiken

• 1,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I've seen more Awesomes than I have Jenners.

#111 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

@b00zy
No it doesn't.  Stop being so melodramatic.  I survive just fine in an AWS (even with an XL).  The only time I go down quick is when I'm out numbered, but that's true for any mech.  The CT is a damage sink no doubt, so you gotta turn when under fire.  Again, this is true of all mechs to one degree ir another.

The biggest problems, as many have pointed out, are that you don't bring a lot of firepower to the battle and heat management can be problematic.

Edited by NRP, 21 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#112 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I like my Awesome (9M). It's damn fast and packs one hell of a long distance punch. It's more of a supporter than a brawler, but I'm doing very well with it usually.

#113 b00zy

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostNRP, on 21 January 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

@b00zy
No it doesn't. Stop being so melodramatic. I survive just fine in an AWS (even with an XL). The only time I go down quick is when I'm out numbered, but that's true for any mech. The CT is a damage sink no doubt, so you gotta turn when under fire. Again, this is true of all mechs to one degree ir another.

The biggest problems, as many have pointed out, are that you don't bring a lot of firepower to the battle and heat management can be problematic.

you must be playing against the worst players to ever play this game if you don't get cored instantly with a XL engine LOL who the hell puts a XL in a awesome ?

Id love to see these people claiming to do so well in this hunk of crap actually stream some of this action

Edited by b00zy, 21 January 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#114 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

ran the awesome since open beta, whatta mistaka to make!

first it is the barn of mechwarrior. it's got a huge profile and since you struggle to shoot sideways the thin sides offer little respite from the action. you have to face to shoot and so you're a walking billboard against what's mostly the brawler enviroment, a great combination, and you can mount so little on the ct which you do rely on a lot. it is just outdated and outdone in so many ways.

being so large it can't go fast enough to counter the huge hit me hit me torso it has, nor is it flexible enough to compete against the splatter cats and whackpults. even as a medium laser boat your damage is spread and therefore uneffective compared to hunchbacks that can mount more lasers or an ac20 etc etc. so you try a more traditional long range set up? you'll over heat and wonder if your hits counted thanks to the broken erppcs and erlrg lasers so using the mech for it's traditional set ups for battles predominantly under the 500m mark is stupid. a long range energy boat is just complete folley in this game and trying to compete as a missle boat is foolish. just not enough lrm's to warrent it over a stalker or ecm covered atlas, nor enough speed in twist and srms for smothering like a more effective splatterpult. the amount of times i've read "my K/D ratio took a pummeling when i experimented with the awesome..."

had a match the other day and my team were out in the open but the lrm boats kept targeting me! you see i'm fat and weak and they see me as an easy kill so they didn't go for the strategically better targets they kept trowing stones at me and i was the only one to continuously take cover, that's how weak the awesome is no one believes it to be effective and i've rarely seen it as a last mech standing. until the heat problems and MM are soughted the awesome is a behind the scenes under atlas daddy's armour mech or just a milstone round your team's neck. i've said it often it's the brides maid of mechwarrior and i'm so happy to retire it for the stalker i just purchased, it's better in almost every respect other than movement all for just 5 tons more.

#115 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Bad pilots give the Awesome a bad name. When piloted correctly, any variant has the ability to kick some serious ***. I fly like lightning in my 9M, and I fear no Atlas in my 8R.

But it's not a walking turret like most people pilot it. It's a really big heavy, designed to strike sadness into anything it chases down.

so it's a fast striker then? why be so large as for the blind to be able to hit it, 70-80kph is not fast enough for such a large beast, and considering the only big punch for quick strikes are srms it leaves half the chassis varients redundant. unless you can mount ppcs and get away from the inevitable lights mediums and some heavys that can also chase you down at those speeds and force you to retaliate to overheat as their ballistic missle setups rip you're few advantages apart you're just not going to come out on top with those tactics.

only beaten up mechs and idiots outgunned and out of their depth are beaten by the awesome, i loved flanking lrm boats and i've even beaten gauss cats and such but only cause they couldn't aim or retaliate at me. against anyone else with a modicum of skill and a half decent set up your armor will be toast before theirs. still when latency netcode etc are fixed we'll see more effective firepower from the awesome, for now though it's one of the hardcore mechs along with the dragon.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 21 January 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#116 BunnyWabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I killed all 8 people in my 9m yesterday with 1450 damage. I'd say the awesome is alright. Whats the deal with the print screen button in this game? It doesnt capture screenshots? I tried to take a screenie but it just gave me a black image when I pasted it into paint. :'( it was the first time ive killed all 8 mechs in a match.

#117 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostVaneshi SnowCrash, on 21 January 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

The 4SP can easily carry 4MPL, 2SRM6+2tons launchers, AMS+1ton and with a std250 in will run at 84kp/h. That's with Endo, DHS and max FF armour and 2 extra heat sinks (the engine comes with 10).

Hunchbacks (even my 4G) are very under rated.

Interesting. I might have to try that mech out one day, once I get enough bills to pay for that variant. But for me, I stand with my opinion about the Awesome -- it's a mech that I find myself loving, even with its cons and whatnot. :)

View Postb00zy, on 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

you must be playing against the worst players to ever play this game if you don't get cored instantly with a XL engine LOL who the hell puts a XL in a awesome ?

Id love to see these people claiming to do so well in this hunk of crap actually stream some of this action

Well, I'm glad you underestimate the Awesome mech. I'll be sure to take advantage of that if I see you in a match.

#118 b00zy

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

the fact is there is no reason to use an awesome the best way to play it is back line fire support but why bother being this slow giant weak target when you could pick any other mech and do that role better and stay up longer sure you can get kills with it and do dmg but at the end of the day you could of done better with a different mech

View PostBlue Hymn, on 21 January 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Interesting. I might have to try that mech out one day, once I get enough bills to pay for that variant. But for me, I stand with my opinion about the Awesome -- it's a mech that I find myself loving, even with its cons and whatnot. :)

Well, I'm glad you underestimate the Awesome mech. I'll be sure to take advantage of that if I see you in a match.

no you won't as ill also be in my awesome being upset with the hunk of crap that it is and we will both die before we get to each other

#119 David Rodenstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 927 posts
  • LocationOdessa

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Awesome? It is very similar to the Gurren, i can not understand why it is played for so little
Posted Image

#120 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostBunnyWabbit, on 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

I killed all 8 people in my 9m yesterday with 1450 damage. I'd say the awesome is alright. Whats the deal with the print screen button in this game? It doesnt capture screenshots? I tried to take a screenie but it just gave me a black image when I pasted it into paint. :'( it was the first time ive killed all 8 mechs in a match.

good for you it's nice to hear someone's doing well in one though the 9m is the best one. i wish there was more succesful awesome pilots posting but to be honest i reckon you won't find many. it's a hardcore mech!

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users