456 replies to this topic

#141 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 22 January 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Only thing I'm questioning is "consumable" airstrikes and artillery strikes? Do you mean as in "once per match" or "you have to buy a new one each match". Might want to head that statement off before people go P2W crazy over it...

It was stated that it will be module

#142 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thank you for the lengthy and hugely informative post.

I play the game because I've been a huge fan of the BattleTech/MechWarrior franchise, and the first time I started MW:O I thought I'd like the game. Little did I know, I loved it. And got hooked on it. It's a great game, and I can't wait for it to be launched. In the meantime, I'll pilot all the mechs I have, take on different roles (scout, light-chaser, capper, lrm-bost, brawler or support), grind them to master and unlock my modules.

And I'm still loving it. Thank you.

#143 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Nobody expects the Cicada Inquisition!

No plans for changes to the system itself, yes for tweaks and tuning. I think he thought the question was about making double jumps, or a different STYLE of jumping.

People don't really know what's going on with JJ's, heat, streaks, or ecm. A lot of PGIs communications imply that only very minor revisions are planned, and people tend to conflate minor with unimpactful. Appending a sentence to "minor tweaks" that explains your finalized intent would go very, very, far in placating 'haters'. Not doing so invites the idea that you're ok with these systems as they stand.

Edited by Shumabot, 22 January 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#144 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 22 January 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

It was stated that it will be module
im just guessing here but what I think he meant by consumable will be, we buy the module that allows us to call in air strikes and artillery but I'm sure these attacks can be and will be powerful so they may only allow you to use them once or twice per match. After the match they will be reloaded and the next match you will once again have a limited number of times to call in these assets.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 22 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#145 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Some CM's just want to see the forums burn.
Sooo... Paul's the Joker?

#146 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

No plans for changes to the system itself, yes for tweaks and tuning. I think he thought the question was about making double jumps, or a different STYLE of jumping.

Can I get an auto-lock SAM for them long term jumpers? Not because it's broken or abused. I just think it would be VERY funny to blow someone to kingdom come while they're trying to pull a superman flight ;)

#147 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the answers.

Sad to hear collision has such a low priority ;)

#148 100 Tonne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

wow! just great!

#149 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

this is better, thanks. i'd still like to see those changes to jumpjets though. as they are they are 'floatjets' or 'slightly increase altitude jets' or 'skatejets' but that's ok for now
Spoiler
really the most important thing at the moment IMO are: 1. netcode 2. lobbies and custom servers with settable rules (which will make leagues possible and greatly promote enjoyment of the game) and 3. planetary conquest style metagame (which would help alot to make things more interesting and impactful) we'll see how it goes.

#150 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 22 January 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

im just guessing here but what I think he meant by consumable will be, we buy the module that allows us to call in air strikes and artillery but I'm sure these attacks can be and will be powerful so they may only allow you to use them once or twice per match. After the match they will be reloaded and the next match you will once again have a limited number of times to call in these assets.

Yeah thats true.And it will be only for drop/lance leaders.
I can imagine if it will be infinite and for 8 ppl in that drop they will spam it infinitely ;)

Edited by JudgeDeathCZ, 22 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#151 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

First, thanks for answering all those questions!

BUT!

Pretty annoyed with the collisions answer, how can this not be a priority?! This is a basic game mechanic that will help bring balance back to the mech classes (lights not being the uber killing machines they are).

#152 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Locationdeep in the dark reaches of unknown space

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well for the testers I have been testing and playing this game for a long time. I am geting burned out so some different play modes sound good. The EU server is a good idea cause there are alot of EU players with the group, but will they still be able to link with us in North America? Or are they stuck on there own? That may upset 25 of our members who are EU so it may be a choice given to them, consider it. Also the net code should be top on the list get it working right so the game can be more smooth and fun. Other wise you are getting better, dont let this go to your head garth, there is still a long way to go. I do suport this game that is why i put the money in the game. Keep trudging along

#153 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm enjoying the game and patient enough to keep testing and waiting for things as you can implement them. As a few of my peers have said most of us don't mind testing if you want to throw patches out more often - but I can understand why you don't with the way a portion of the community behaves on the forums. (I'd want to make things as stable as possible too).

Anyhow I only really needed the last question answered to know that you are weathering through the storm of silly rage posts from guys that can't seem to stop playing after they say they and their clan have bailed out.

I'm sure this will be a hot topic with my group this evening as most of them stay away from the kids on the forums, thanks Garth and the entire staff from me and for my friends!

#154 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

View PostDeathofSelf, on 22 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

First, thanks for answering all those questions!

BUT!

Pretty annoyed with the collisions answer, how can this not be a priority?! This is a basic game mechanic that will help bring balance back to the mech classes (lights not being the uber killing machines they are).

Exactly, light mechs are ruining the game *now*, having to wait months for a fix to them just doesn't cut it.

#155 Xander Salamander

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Thanks Bryan for responding to so many topics. I was looking forward to essay-style replies to a few questions, but I realize now how many questions I was really anxious to hear back on, however concisely. Garth, thanks for sticking with the community. Community, thanks for receiving the most recent batch of answers [relatively] gracefully.

#156 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

good Q&A Garth, thanks ;)

I can't wait for more permanent camo spec.

#157 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Client with 250 ping runs at an angle toward client with 500 ping. 250 registers hit, 500 ping doesn't, then does. Warping occurs. Hitboxes shift to accommodate new placement. Etc. You'd need to ask Thomas, though, he's the 'Neer.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd like to see the old broken collision system put back in as a placeholder until you have it fixed. I was around during closed beta and I do remember what it was like; warping leading to lots of unregistered hits and accidental team killing.

I hate to try to speak for everyone, but the community consensus seems to be that light mechs are "out of control." That is to say it takes very little skill to actually use them effectively because they are taking advantage of the biggest problem that you currently have on your plate (the netcode), and even bad collisions are perceived as a way to force them to play better if they want to be effective.

A fast light mech can run circles around an entire team for far far longer than it should be able to. In that very extreme example, let's say it doesn't even kill anyone or do a whole lot of damage before finally going down. There is no satisfaction for anyone in that encounter, just frustration that finally comes to an end. Then the frustrated players come and hurl insults at you on the forums, or they try to start a reasonable discussion about the issue that gets flamed and trolled until it falls off the front page, or they just log off for the night with that bitter taste left in their mouth.

This post would go on for way too long if I tried to expand on how the interaction between ECM, streaks, netcode, fast lights and no collisions at all combine into a perfect storm of what makes people lose all sense of decorum around here, so I won't do that ;)

Actually I've probably rambled on too much already. TL;DR Some people view even broken collisions as better than none because Light Mechs, etc.

P.S. I really like what you guys are doing here in spite of all the issues. Keep up the good work.

#158 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Garth,

Beings I was to lazy to ask any questions and it was one of the few I think have came up before: Will there be static defenses on base as previosly mentioned for Conquest Mode in PC Gamer?

#159 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

View PostTank Boy Ken, on 22 January 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Garth, Bryan even if the MWO Community is sometimes a bit insane, we goons love this game and spend too much time and money on it ;). It's a young game, a small hatchling if you pardon the pun and while it's rough being there in the making, i wouldn't have want to missed it.

Or not enough YMMV.

Spot on Tank boy Ken.. ..gotta love that name lol.. ..have been in the Game since the first closed beta keys came out and can tell you what, its had some pretty big bumps on the way, but they have always steadily moved forward improving the game and adding new content.. ..i get so annoyed being killed by a raven 3l or ssrm commando with ecm.. ..or even from LRM spamming and lag.. ..but at some point all these issues will be addressed, the game will have longevity and will just get better!

I have 18 mechs, 25 mech bays, love the maps, going to buy more MC to get some hero mechs and im DVC for my division.. ..sticking around for this hatchling to grown into a fiery battlehawk!!! Love it.

#160 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like this version. The "Command Chair" realy is a better place for detail.

I would like to thank all of the MWO staff. Keep your head up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users