Ask The Devs 30 - Answers!

456 replies to this topic

#101 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Any word on when the full vocal set get in-game?

#102 Nemesiz416

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, Terra

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I thank you for taking the time to post all these answers. I know you guys are hard at work trying to fix the game itself before adding content. My only major complaint has been with ECM and hopefully you guys will change that. But other than that, I've had no regrets buying the Legendary Founders pack and I'm so happy to have Mechwarrior back. As far as your last question, don't worry about it. Customer service is the same no matter where you work. I've been a computer tech for a long time, and I've learned you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. You will always have people who love to whine no matter what. But you guys are doing fantastic work, so don't let the complaints discourage you. Thanks for bringing one of my favorite series back!

#103 Terminal Mehmet

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostShumabot, on 22 January 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Except we knew all that last time. Nothing here is new info. You may not get worked up, but apparently you get excited about re-reading answers month after month. I'm not sure that's better or more healthy.

It's better than the utter silence you get from most companies. I am excited about that. I am also excited when I shoot robots. You seem passionate about this game. I'm sure shooting robots excites you, too! Hooray, we both want a better game!

#104 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

the people who have the most games/spent the most money

invested more emotionally into the game... and as a result, they are more vocal/emotional when the investment appears to yield no return.

they care the most for this game. and have the highest expectations for it. because they like it a lot.
for example if you spend 20k on a honda civic, and it gets damaged, you won't be as pissed as if you spent 200k on a lamborghini and it gets damaged.

but i'm no psychologist

also awesome Q/A. i've realized now that these Q/As can really be thrown back in your faces, because a lot of times players demand content and quote the Q/A. But nevertheless thanks for keeping us updated.

Edited by Tennex, 22 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#105 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

View PostShumabot, on 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

How does altering impact damage require an alteration of hitboxes, latency, movement, or balance? well it's a balance fix (as it realistically only effects lights that use the lack of collision based falling), so clearly it involves that. Why does it involve the rest? Do you have collision damage in your netcode somewhere? It certainly doesn't have anything to do with your hitboxes except insofar as they're involved in registering collisions. This is a mechanic you already have in place, why not just tweak the numbers to be meaningful? Your game has a huge problem with exploitative light builds that are using streaks, ecm, and the ability to run through mechs. It isn't fun and it's driven several people that I've tried to get interested in your game away from it.

Well it would appear that you don't know how the code works and PGI does, so maybe it's not really all that easy to do like you insist it is without any factual basis for that claim?

#106 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

How does altering impact damage require an alteration of hitboxes, latency, movement, or balance? well it's a balance fix (as it realistically only effects lights that use the lack of collision based falling), so clearly it involves that. Why does it involve the rest?

Client with 250 ping runs at an angle toward client with 500 ping. 250 registers hit, 500 ping doesn't, then does. Warping occurs. Hitboxes shift to accommodate new placement. Etc. You'd need to ask Thomas, though, he's the 'Neer.

View PostBig Giant Head, on 22 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

Hotfixed* ;)

Some CM's just want to see the forums burn.

#107 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostTerminal Mehmet, on 22 January 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

It's better than the utter silence you get from most companies. I am excited about that. I am also excited when I shoot robots. You seem passionate about this game. I'm sure shooting robots excites you, too! Hooray, we both want a better game!

What companies? Most f2p microtransaction based games have some pretty good channels to their community. Dota2, LoL, WoT, etc all handle it quite well. Dota2 has a lot of huge balance issues and is still in beta itself, but the community management is concise and provided a lot of context, which is really important. Context and an explanation of reasoning is important in establishing empathy and involvement with a beta community.

#108 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Question: Are there plans to make heat dissipate faster while powered down?

#109 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hmm. Its a shame no.5 couldn't be altered sooner. Having more than 250 in the unit I'm in means we have to keep dropping people if we should wish to drop with someone who isn't on one of our lists, or we have to re-arrange the 4/8 man until someone is in control who does have everyone in it.

Just how hard is it to change a setting from 250 to 500 or is it really not that simple?

Not to mention all the other folks people know and who occasionally wish to drop with who are outside their *unit* or friends circle.

Still, thanks for the update.

Edited by chewie, 22 January 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#110 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

CW has a higher priority than collisions? Are you kidding me?

/headdesk

#111 aspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Q: Is your team discouraged at all by the community outrage?
A: [...] The CR team in Montreal are truly amazing people that deal with a very vocal and passionate user base, taking lumps left and right with little to no thanks. (IMHO you need to start a thank you CR team thread. Hint Hint)

IMO, I think this penny arcade is appropriate to reference in this case (comic was written about this post by a community relations person for homeworld 2: http://forums.relicn...7201#post207201)

Posted Image

If the IGP CR team has that bad morale, maybe they need some thanks from IGP instead (read: a raise)? Or perhaps better training in the first place?

I don't think anybody here is under the illusion that having user forums is a public service. If there was no business case for user engagement and forum discussion, then there would be no forums at all. Also, developer-run video game forums are ALWAYS filled with awful posts. It's been like this for a decade. Not really a big surprise that being a forum CR isn't a great job.

Personally, I used to work at a AT&T call center doing customer support...people used to get mad at me all the time for things that weren't my fault, because it was my job to deal with angry people who had problems that weren't my fault. Not really a big surprise. This was explained to me going in during my training, and I was paid sufficiently to listen to their complaining.

This isn't to say that it's OK to unfairly rage at people on the internet. If anything, my experience working in customer support made me 100x more polite to CSR's I talk to on the phone or online...but for a senior staff member to ask for THANKS from the customer base for the paid customer reps who get a salary to moderate the forums and deal with customers, well...that seems like an odd thing to say.

---

To put it in an example: If I went in to Subway, and I had an annoying sandwich order, and then the manager came over while I was paying for my sandwich and inferred that I should thank the staff for dealing with me and/or people like me, I would walk out and never come back, REGARDLESS of how much of a crappy job it is to work at Subway.

Edited by aspect, 22 January 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#112 Terminal Mehmet

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostShumabot, on 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

What companies?

What does it matter? I could list a bunch of companies and then you'd list a bunch of other companies that you think are better examples. I'm not here to win an internet argument. I'm sorry if that is an important thing for you.

View PostShumabot, on 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Context and an explanation of reasoning is important in establishing empathy and involvement with a beta community.

If you are seeing a lack of that, I'm sure the CR team would appreciate the insight as to what you think is lacking in the way the describe context and explain their reasoning.

#113 Nick Drezary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 232 posts
  • LocationMoon

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hope, we will see 12v12 matches soon ;)
P.S. one of my questions was answered yay!

Edited by Nick Drezary, 22 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#114 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Client with 250 ping runs at an angle toward client with 500 ping. 250 registers hit, 500 ping doesn't, then does. Warping occurs. Hitboxes shift to accommodate new placement. Etc. You'd need to ask Thomas, though, he's the 'Neer.

Members of the community are clamoring for an adjustment to impact damage, not really a fix to the warping (well, both, but for different reasons). The warping is very much a netcode issue, and I'm happy to give you guys the break on that one. Netcode issues are a top priority by your admittance. Collision damage as a result of the short period of time before warping, and having that damage buffed to be noticeable are what I've seen people asking for. If you think netcode is coming soon enough to make such changes pointless, that's great. But we don't know that, since we aren't given context from most of PGIs community facing communications. From my experience and communications with others collision damage would appear to be an easy bandaid for some of the games most exploitative mechanics. The mechanic is already in the game and appears to work, to an extent. Why not just buff the numbers?

You could avoid so much community outrage by giving context and the reasoning behind decisions (like you just did with me). People understand disclaimers about how mechanics can and will change, and they're very forgiving for when you have to undo mechanics when they understand that it's an iterative process and they're helping you test. What gives the impression of an uncaring or aloof development team is the lack of depth in communication, not so much it's lack of commonality.

Edited by Shumabot, 22 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#115 GrimlockONE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

[color=#333333]Because he's the hero MWO forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.[/color]

#116 Trucker

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Funny....

North Americans say 'Bi-Weekly' and Brits say 'Fortnight'....what a world we live in...

#117 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I will rephrase. I would have much rather had quality over quantity.

#118 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostPando, on 22 January 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I will rephrase. I would have much rather had quality over quantity.

Personally, I was glad they did it this way. I expect (well... hope for) some more fleshed-out Command Chair posts are incoming in the next couple weeks. Perfect or not, these answers are far superior to weeks past.

#119 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

The last question made me a bit sad. You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up.

#120 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thank you for the answers given and information provided. I fear, though, that my inquisitive nature now has even more questions due to answers provided (albiet, not due to any negative feedback acquired from the answers provided. I'm just a curious S.O.B.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook