Ask The Devs 30 - Answers!

456 replies to this topic

#81 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I generally don’t take it to heart any more, especially when comments come from someone who has 100s or 1000s of posts. It’s the guy who has 1 post that I’m worried about. It took something significantly good or bad for them to come and make a post, and we tend to listen to them more carefully.

Perhaps your concern should be centered on folks like myself, who haven't played a single match for weeks even though I spent money on not one, but two Founders Accounts.

I would suggest that you task somebody to contact, on a personal level, a number of people who aren't playing anymore and ask them why...

I have no desire to post my views in these forums, since they will likely be drowned by a cocktail of "QQ rage monsters" and "no wrong can be done fanbois".

Edited by FactorlanP, 22 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#82 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

View PostShumabot, on 22 January 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Beyond the call of duty would be to use context to explain decisions, not just give clipped answers and near meaningless dates. This is "least they could do to fulfill their stated obligation".

No, it's not. Stop whining. The "least they could do to fulfill their stated obligation" was put out five cheese answers to questions no one cared about. Instead, they answered nearly every concern listed by the community.

Unhappy about a lack of dates? They don't even know what their timeline is; how are they going to give us dates when even they don't know?

You whine that they didn't explain their thought process on every decision in detail? You clearly think you're a lot more important than you are. The fact that they answered as much as they did is more than enough for most members of the community.

#83 Seaborne

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUK

I just want to say thank you it's a lot of new information and has given me a boost.

#84 Stalkerr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 404 posts

Garth, I think this is the best Answers thread the forum has seen. I really like the new format, the content of the answers, and I think you guys are doing a great job over there in ol' Canada. Keep it up, I can't wait to see what the next patch has in store!

#85 collosus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

well, a lot of information coming up... some things didn't go as planned, others changed... but at least it's good to know that PGI is trying it's best to please the whole community (they try but hey you can't please them all at the same time). Kudos to the CR team and keep up the good work!

#86 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

View PostSuprentus, on 22 January 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Some of the answers are a little worrisome, but at least they are answers.

One question I was hoping to see answered though was...

NPCs/anything AI controlled. Yes, no, maybe, eventually?

Wild Speculation about NPC:
Strawmens for Target Practice
(In the Devs internal test games they wear the names of the most hated forum users) ;)

#87 GrimlockONE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Aww man, seriously? Can't I at least be the Joker? Or Deadpool! The Community Manager with The Mouth!

It also impacts: Hitboxes, latency, movement, balance, etc.

And please avoid the 'obv. PGI aren't working lolz' comments, you know damn well these guys are working their ***** off.

Posted Image

Fixed per Garth's request

and I was in the midst of posting when you responded.

I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy...

Edited by GrimlockONE, 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#88 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostFactorlanP, on 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Perhaps your concern should be centered on folks like myself, who haven't played a single match for weeks even though I spent money on not one, but two Founders Accounts. I would suggest that you task somebody to contact, on a personal level, a number of people who aren't playing anymore and ask them why... I have no desire to post my views in these forums, since they will likely be drowned by a cocktail of "QQ rage monsters" and "no wrong can be done fanbois".

The suggestions forums are there for this very reason; please, post there and I can forward your comments ;)

#89 massari

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRome, NY

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'd love to reimbursed for all the paint and camo I've paid for but doubt there would be any. Very good info however!

#90 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Can't I at least be the Joker? Or Deadpool! The Community Manager with The Mouth!
You are already Deadpool in my book Garth.

Just no using a lifebar to beat up roudy fans! ;)

#91 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yes if you'd be a Goon and within our [REDACTED] Comm Tool you'd know that the Goons really like this Q&A. Thank you and the rest of PGI for the hard work.

If you check my stats you see that I (and Tank Girl Barbie - my fiancee) play a lot of MWO and spend a bit of money on it (and will even more due to pink and permanent camo). Once the netcode is improved we'll be having even more fun ;).

Also THANKS for letting the DOG of the leash.

Edited by Tank Boy Ken, 22 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#92 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

It also impacts: Hitboxes, latency, movement, balance, etc.

And please avoid the 'obv. PGI aren't working lolz' comments, you know damn well these guys are working their ***** off.

How does altering impact damage require an alteration of hitboxes, latency, movement, or balance? well it's a balance fix (as it realistically only effects lights that use the lack of collision based falling), so clearly it involves that. Why does it involve the rest? Do you have collision damage in your netcode somewhere? It certainly doesn't have anything to do with your hitboxes except insofar as they're involved in registering collisions. This is a mechanic you already have in place, why not just tweak the numbers to be meaningful? Your game has a huge problem with exploitative light builds that are using streaks, ecm, and the ability to run through mechs. It isn't fun and it's driven several people that I've tried to get interested in your game away from it.

Edited by Shumabot, 22 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#93 Big Giant Head

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationingalaxyfarfaraway

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostGrimlockONE, on 22 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Fixed per Garth's request

and I was in the midst of posting when you responded.

I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy...

Hotfixed* ;)

#94 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostSeaborne, on 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I just want to say thank you it's a lot of new information and has given me a boost.

/signed.

Thanks, Bryan, really appreciate the info.

#95 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

PGI this is awesome. 2013 is a great year to be a mechwarrior. Super stoked about CW, cannot wait to fight for those shiny marbles. Bryan and Garth thank you for delivering this to us.

#96 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

View PostShumabot, on 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

How does altering impact damage require an alteration of hitboxes, latency, movement, or balance? well it's a balance fix (as it realistically only effects lights that use the lack of collision based falling), so clearly it involves that. Why does it involve the rest? Do you have collision damage in your netcode somewhere? It certainly doesn't have anything to do with your hitboxes except insofar as they're involved in registering collisions. This is a mechanic you already have in place, why not just tweak the numbers to be meaningful? Your game has a huge problem with exploitative light builds that are using streaks, ecm, and the ability to run through mechs. It isn't fun and it's driven several people that I've tried to get interested in your game away from it.

The one thing i noted from this QnA is I really don't feel like they think light mechs brawling with heavies and assaults is a problem.

And that is going to really be an ongoing issue with the community until they make a point to say otherwise.

#97 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Q: Are you going to introduce Europe located server? If yes, when?
A: Yes. 2013.
that should take my mind off MWO ;)
2013 is a bit to broad spectrum when we're at the start of said year

PGI is not contempt with people being angry at them
this is why

Edited by zmeul, 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#98 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Just want to say thank you a ton for this post! Things have been rather quiet about plans after January since December. I very eagerly await these changes.

#99 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 22 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Wild Speculation about NPC:
Strawmens for Target Practice
(In the Devs internal test games they wear the names of the most hated forum users) ;)

That's actually pretty funny. I do hope there will be more to NPCs than just target practice though.

#100 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hooray! New Ask the Devs! It dismays me a bit how snarky some of those questions were. Great job keeping open the lines of communication! The goals and priorities seem sound and realistic, so, that's cool.

I love the game, I love the roadmap, As near as I can tell, the entire team is doing a great job (testers, coders, community representatives, etc etc etc). Keep your chins up and make the best game you can. Don't let the self-entitlement echo-chamber that is the forums get you down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users