132 replies to this topic

#21 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I am a consumer and I congratulate with my hard earned money.

View PostBigamo, on 22 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

its a team of 40? you should be trolling me! I would NEVER guess that were more than 8 people making this game...

Funny thing is that in a 40 person team NO ONE figured out how much the stupid ecm **** broke the game?

LOL. You're doing it wrong.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 22 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#22 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostElmoWithAGun, on 22 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

And look how well that turned out... ;)

That was my point....

#23 Easyvue

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I was one of those people who sent an angry email and angry forum posts and then ended up playing like crazy.

I was so frustrated when I started playing the game because I was always destroyed every match when pugging. Now that I joined a teamspeak server I always have friends online to play with and the game is much more enjoyable and I thank PGI for making a legit mechwarrior game after so long and apologize for how nasty people (like I have been) can get. Even for how much I don't like the bugs I still play this night after night.

I wouldn't want someone to feel abused and afraid to read comments on something that they work on every day, as I am sure a lot of us know that no one likes going to work knowing everyone thinks you are a failure and hates your guts.

#24 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Location123 Sesame Street

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 22 January 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

That was my point....

I know lol...

I was under the impression that you didn't get that the other poster was simply pointing out your sarcasm.

#25 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sycophancy isn't a functional counter to trolls. It just makes these forums even less functional as a place for community interaction.

#26 XR17

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I think they made a great game. Never heard of mechwarrior or anything before, but the game is so inmersive that I have been reading a lot. And when I compare the thing I read from wikis and the game I have to admit that impresses me

#27 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostBertyBargo, on 22 January 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

I wouldn't be. I'm sure because of all the disconnecter and suicider players, the devs figure people would rather just hop to a different mech instead of play the match out.

Maybe if it didn't have any impact on the other 7 people on the team... but it does.

I don't want increased odds of losing if someone drops due to a bug or connectivity issues when they could be getting back into the match not long after the countdown finishes, if the feature existed. I wouldn't even call it a feature really, more like basic functionality for an online game.

There are good ways to handle this, but just not doing it at all seems like an incredibly lazy/easy way out.

#28 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

We love the game. The people who criticize the most are pretty often those most passionate about it. The game needs work, but it's already a great game.

#29 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I love you all.

#30 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I am instituting a new policy for myself, and some of you may want to follow it as well:

It's our right as players and beta testers to criticize when we feel something is endangering the quality of the game. But it's also our duty as decent human beings to encourage others. Therefore, from now on, every time I post criticizing something PGI has done, I am going to follow it with something I genuinely love about the game. Any takers?

#31 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

The core of the mech piloting experience is fantastic, the mech designs, inside and out, are very detailed and polished. They look fantastic. The sound effects are great, love the stompiness, and the pew pew of pulse lasers. When you get a good game, without getting capped out by a flock of Ravens, it's extremely fun.

All the issues seem to stem from management.

#32 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I personaly, don't have any problem with the game at all. I feel all of the MWO staff have done a great job and are doing thier best to make the game the best it can be.

#33 owouwuowo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostEddrick, on 22 January 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

I personaly, don't have any problem with the game at all. I feel all of the MWO staff have done a great job and are doing thier best to make the game the best it can be.

and I'm sure they'll continue to roll out plenty of great changes soon*

*probably never

#34 Bigamo

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant-Major
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

just to try to make myself clear: (Sorry for broken engrish!)

I really didnt know that MWO had a 40 person team, and i think some things are progressing rather slow for such a huge team.and i can resume some things as MAP MAKING. Like, 3 people allocated cant make a map in a month? cmom. Thats why i dont like those AAA thing you know. There is no need to model each window of each building individually, AAA projects usually take years of 100+ people working to deliver a 4 to 5 hours game experience, and i while individual care more for gameplay than for the small details that difer a AAA title from a A title.

That being said i think the overall feeling of MWO is very nice! BUT (always the but) let something as huge and gamebreaker as the current ECM for soo long while heavily advertizing the game is at least a VERY BAD idea.

And the worst thing is have to read after MONTHS that PGI is "TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS OP WITH ECM" and it is pretty obvious to see that ANY of its INUMEROUS functions even while being take alone (as if it were the only thing the ecm did) is overpowered for a 1.5 ton equip.

And i should say that this alone, for so long made me lose my faith in Piranha Games ;)

But the mechs are gorgeous, the weapons feel good and even the mech balance is pretty good (but truth be told they come almost ready balance wise from Battletech). But this ecm is just... just...

Oh yes, just played a match against 4 ECM atlas D and 2 ECM ravens and i am ANGRY.

#35 Alcatraz968

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostMackman, on 22 January 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

I am instituting a new policy for myself, and some of you may want to follow it as well:

It's our right as players and beta testers to criticize when we feel something is endangering the quality of the game. But it's also our duty as decent human beings to encourage others. Therefore, from now on, every time I post criticizing something PGI has done, I am going to follow it with something I genuinely love about the game. Any takers?

That sir is a great idea!

#36 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

MUCHO EXCITO!!

#37 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostBigamo, on 22 January 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

just to try to make myself clear: (Sorry for broken engrish!)

I really didnt know that MWO had a 40 person team, and i think some things are progressing rather slow for such a huge team.and i can resume some things as MAP MAKING. Like, 3 people allocated cant make a map in a month? cmom. Thats why i dont like those AAA thing you know. There is no need to model each window of each building individually, AAA projects usually take years of 100+ people working to deliver a 4 to 5 hours game experience, and i while individual care more for gameplay than for the small details that difer a AAA title from a A title.

That being said i think the overall feeling of MWO is very nice! BUT (always the but) let something as huge and gamebreaker as the current ECM for soo long while heavily advertizing the game is at least a VERY BAD idea.

And the worst thing is have to read after MONTHS that PGI is "TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS OP WITH ECM" and it is pretty obvious to see that ANY of its INUMEROUS functions even while being take alone (as if it were the only thing the ecm did) is overpowered for a 1.5 ton equip.

And i should say that this alone, for so long made me lose my faith in Piranha Games ;)

But the mechs are gorgeous, the weapons feel good and even the mech balance is pretty good (but truth be told they come almost ready balance wise from Battletech). But this ecm is just... just...

Oh yes, just played a match against 4 ECM atlas D and 2 ECM ravens and i am ANGRY.

Agile software development is a lot easier said than done. I am not saying that PGI is completely awful at it, but they're not the greatest at it either.

#38 Visyac Cephias

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

To the Devs:

Hi.

This is my first post ever, and I felt like it was an important enough occasion to say something.

I was never really into Mechwarrior. It was a game my dad played on the computer on occasion, and while it was cool to see the big mechs shoot one another with various glowing blobs of strangely shaped rectangles, I found myself quickly losing interest when he spent over an hour perusing menus for what I now recognize as weapon loadouts, armor allocation, and weight managment. It was kinda boring for me.

Then my little brother gets interested in the tabletop game, he makes me read all the rules and buys a starter set containing a Daishi, a Raven, a Griffen, and a red thing with wings. His insistence on using the heavy mechs, coupled with my impatience for the slow game progression, led to a rather lukewarm reception. It was not a game we played often, or when we were in a bad mood.

Then.....well then I see the first trailer.

"What is that! What's going on! Why am I seeing an Atlas! That looks AMAZING!"

My curiosity is piqued. Thought a series of information chains, I listen for more news.

"It's going to be online. It's in closed beta, It's in open beta. It's free to play."

I download the game:

First game, no instruction. Die.

Second game, no instruction. Die.

Third game, no instruction. Die, but gain a better understanding of the movement mechanics

Fourth game, quick perusal of Training grounds introduction. Die, but learn further about arm and torso control.

Fifth game, I hit something! Die.

Sixth game. Buy a hunchback. Die.

Seventh game. die.

Eight game. Learn the difference between guns-in-the-arms, and guns-in-the-body.

Ninth game. learn to shoot in a general direction. Start seriously considering my weapon choice. Decide on lasers, because lasers.

Tenth game. Overheat and die.

The challenges in this game are tough. I've been frustrated at times,(Why can't I move when I turn my arms! Why do the buttons work like pedals! Where are my legs taking me!! Help!) but with patience, and a willingness to continue, I've come to see the subtle beauty in the rules, and respect them.

It's hard. and I LOVE it for being hard. I feel like I accomplish something when a Catapult sticks it's head over the hill, and I hit it with the pair of ER-Large Lasers that I bought, tested, and ultimately decided belonged in the arms on my Hunchback. This game encourages you to test your styles, learn to understand the weapons that you choose, and balance them with the cost of use.

People will talk about issues in balance, issues in hitbox, issues in the weapon design, module loadout and map design. I dunno anything about that, I just try to have the most fun with what I'm given. And what I've been given is an understanding of why my father spent so long staring at a weapons load out.

It's fun. I have fun. You made me have fun.
You are wonderful, wonderful people, and I don't want you to be discouraged by the complaints of others.

Thank you for your time, and the patience with which you work with us. ;)

(I have absolutely no idea if I'm following the proper posting equitte here, but I wanted to say something, and didn't now how to find the way back to the thread. :D)

#39 Kyryos

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Definitely respect the developers. Sure the game needs new content and some fine tuning, but overall it's a good game.

#40 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostAlcatraz968, on 22 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

That sir is a great idea!

Thanks. I hope to see it spread. I've contributed to an incredibly harsh community atmosphere, and I think if more people started doing this, it would really help things.

53 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 53 guests, 0 anonymous users