Game Freezes But No Crashes To Desktop From The Middle Of A Match

219 replies to this topic

#21 W00dst0ck

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Silverlance's workaround has worked for me on several games. No crashes so far.

Post #18
"Alt Tabbing right at the start up sequence and not the initial main screen where you can view all the players and rules fixes the game freeze for sure. Been doing so each time and no crashes at all."

Edited by W00dst0ck, 09 February 2013 - 01:21 AM.

#22 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

gt 640 just got the card last night, game was fine (i.e no freeze with my old 560) before i put the new card in

#23 Skollvaldr

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Same problem here, game was reasonable stable before. Running NVidia GTX 680. Now updating to latest NVIDIA 310.90 WHQL. Due the handling of the mouse, i can not even end the program with mouse in taskmanager (using keys i can kill the program).

Skol

#24 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationThe Periphery, one planet at a time.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

So update from my previous posting. Now alt tabbing doesn't work at all. This is ******* me off. My mechs are getting destroyed every single game.
Get off your ***** PGI and fix this. I'm not spending money on you to not be able to enjoy this game.

#25 Bryan Bekker

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Reading through this thread seems like the lockup that started occuring from the 5th patch is monstly affecting those of us with 600 series Nvidia cards. Pretty shotty considering these cards laugh at the game in terms of graphic rendering.

Edited by Bryan Bekker, 09 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#26 DeKamme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 172 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostBryan Bekker, on 09 February 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Reading through this thread seems like the lockup that started occuring from the 5th patch is monstly affecting those of us with 600 series Nvidia cards. Pretty shotty considering these cards laugh at the game in terms of graphic rendering.

460 here, so it isn't just the 6xx series.

#27 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

okay. So after a full series of more testing.
I found another fix. Kinda. Doesn't crash as often.
Alt tab as I stated before at the start up sequence for your mech. At the end of your match, if you make it through, select another mech in the bay that's selected already on your home screen then go back to the mech you want to use. Should stabilize it.
Thus far this method insures me being able to play on every single map EXCEPT Frozen City/Frozen City Night. Those two maps I get lucky to get close to the end of the match.

Thus far my computer config doesn't seem to be an issue, it's boss:
GEForce GTX 660ti
64gigs of RAM
2x 2 Tera Hard Drives
1x 2 Tera SSD
So it can't be my computer. It's this ******** patch. Which as of yet, I haven't seen any developer response AT ALL to it, nor a new patch to address the issue. If I'm wrong though, please for the love of Mechwarriors everywhere, link me to a legit workaround so I can get back to enjoying the game I sank 100$+ into.

#28 Bryan Bekker

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

What is even more amusing is how this is affecting us. A clan mate and me have similar computers in a match we will lock up at the same second using different mechs at different points in the map. Additionally he is a euro there for there is differnet ISP. Seems like something is hickuping with nvidia cards since the patch.

#29 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Bryan is right. Friend of mine is experiencing the exact same issues. We dropped together and hit the same bug at the exact same time. His GC is the same as mine, Slightly less RAM. More Hard Drive space than my comp.
Same exact Motherboard.
Seriously. PGI. Get off your duffs and fix this.

#30 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

OKAY!
Update. New test string. Alt Tabbing works, same routine. BUT. Added bonus, no crash:
Find your MWO folder. Find your shaders and crashdump file. Delete them. Tada! Voila! Fixed. Haven't crashed since. Happy Hunting.
Hey PGI. You should pay me for figuring this out for you.

#31 Nirilus

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

View PostKOKO, on 08 February 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Same Problem hier. Nvidia 680GTX, 313.96 Drivers. Was fine before the last patch.

Ditto. Never froze until this patch. Don't know why my driver number is so different, but I'm on 9.18.13.1090, which was up to date as of 12/29/2012.

Sorta glad I'm not the only one.

I will try dumping shader cache and c alt+tab and see if that helps.

I would tread carefully on other shader files.

Edited by Nirilus, 10 February 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#32 W00dst0ck

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

I was having problems again early this evening even with alt+tab so checked this thread again. Saw Silverlance's follow-up reply. Once again, no problems so far. Keep up with the workarounds Sliverlance. Great work.

Post #30
"Update. New test string. Alt Tabbing works, same routine. BUT. Added bonus, no crash:
Find your MWO folder. Find your shaders and crashdump file. Delete them. Tada! Voila! Fixed. Haven't crashed since. Happy Hunting."

Edited by W00dst0ck, 10 February 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#33 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Thanks Woodstock. Had one crash so far. Closing the game and deleting the new Shader/Crash files fixes it for another great set of games. Working well so far. No problems in any maps.
This is the most stable workaround so far.

#34 Mangkukulam

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostTyGeR STD, on 08 February 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

just started having this issue after the first Feb patch. Never had this problem before. Useing a GTX670

Same for me. Only after the last patch. Used to be, I can alt-tab out and get back in then I'm fine. Now however, I need to ctrl-alt-del and close the game.

#35 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostSilverlance, on 09 February 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

OKAY!
Update. New test string. Alt Tabbing works, same routine. BUT. Added bonus, no crash:
Find your MWO folder. Find your shaders and crashdump file. Delete them. Tada! Voila! Fixed. Haven't crashed since. Happy Hunting.
Hey PGI. You should pay me for figuring this out for you.

Shaders folder? OK , and where is crashdump file? Can't find it.

#36 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I also get random freezes mid-game. I find that I can resolve them every time by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and then hitting Escape. This will cause the game to resume.

Occasionally when I do this I find that the direction of my mech and my reticles are off and I am unable to aim/move properly. If this happens I repeat the process. So far this has fixed in-game freezes 100% of the time for me in Windows 7.

#37 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

everytime it happens to me I just alt-tab in and out and it works fine.
100% for me, so if its not working for you then your problem might be different

#38 bogmali

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWA, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Having this issue once every 5 matches...Tried all the workarounds but still get it.

#39 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

my workaround doesn't seem to be good for all apparently.
I am not experiencing any problems at all anymore by following this method.
I wish I could help out with the other issues and do some tests on those methods. :) Sorry folks.

#40 assiprinz

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 54 posts
  • LocationX: 15.24 Y: 388.91, New Oslo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Crossposting this from another thread:

assiprinz said:

I also have this. The game freezes, and some seconds of the last sound effects loop over and over again. The only solution is to alt-F4 out of the game or force quit via task manager.

I sometimes got the feeling that this occurs everytime a bunch of missiles hit their target. Feels like some kind of 'hit/collision hickup'. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about how things work on a technical side, so I can't really tell if that's the case. However, I found something to significantly reduce these freezes.

I own a really decent gaming rig, and utilize a GeForce GTX 690, which is basically a Mutli-GPU on one board (two GTX 680).

In my NVidia control center, I manually deactivated the Multi-GPU support, and left the PhysX settings on auto.

Posted Image

Sorry for not posting an English Screenshot. The options in question are the two groups on the right hand side (radio buttons to deactivate multi GPU, dropdown for PhysX settings.

Edited by assiprinz, 11 February 2013 - 02:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users