A Loadout Guide To The Death's Knell

79 replies to this topic

#1 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

This setup I use Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor.

Standard 210 engine (Commandos can die fast anyway, save yourself a little survival room without the XL)

The four stock Medium Lasers.

2 Double Heat Sink, one for each torso (1.32 heat efficiency rating)

The armor will come out to 161 and you shouldn't be standing still or going in a straight line.

Armor distribution is as follows (again, you shouldn't be standing still in a light mech, ever)

Head.............................9/18
Center Torso................16/32
Center Torso Rear.......12/32
Right Torso..................13/24
Right Torso Rear.........11/24
Left Torso....................13/24
Left Torso Rear...........11/24
Right Arm....................14/16
Left Arm.......................14/16
Right Leg.....................24/24
Left Leg.......................24/24

The armor distribution was in mind to allow you to take streaks and damage in a rotation fashion, never exposing one side too long to the damage source.

Legs of course have full armor, because if you stand still, you die.

#2 Phatel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

remove the streaks you have no ecm and will not be able to shoot them. You can also just assume that the best thing for you is to run out of bounds soon as the game starts because that way you at least denied anything with ecm and streaks the kill against you.

A light with no ecm is a dead mech. It is inferior to anything with ecm and streaks. Streaks are op vs lights until netcode is fixed and maybe even after that. You could be gods gift to mechwarrior and you will lose to someone with ecm and streaks simply because he will never, ever, ever, ever miss you and you will spend the entire match trying to shoot him. With netcode and ecm shield lights can brawl assaults and win easily. They are currently taking on 3+ mechs at a time. This is not because all the skilled players are in lights, its' because lights are broken when you add in 120+ engines and remove the only thing that can hit them (streaks) with ecm they can't be touched.

I am not saying that all light pilots are bad. I am saying that lights are currently broken and until netcode is fixed there are a LOT of bad players using them and sadly most think they are gods gift to mechwarrior and not just abusing a game mechanic. This is also why you see so many Cent D variants, they get the same netcode shield lights do. Just a hint guys, it's not that you are a amazing cent pilot in the D and it's got so much awesome because it goes fast. It goes fast and thus the Netcode gives you awesome. Netcode fix can not come soon enough.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostPhatel, on 23 January 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

remove the streaks you have no ecm and will not be able to shoot them. You can also just assume that the best thing for you is to run out of bounds soon as the game starts because that way you at least denied anything with ecm and streaks the kill against you.

A light with no ecm is a dead mech. It is inferior to anything with ecm and streaks. Streaks are op vs lights until netcode is fixed and maybe even after that. You could be gods gift to mechwarrior and you will lose to someone with ecm and streaks simply because he will never, ever, ever, ever miss you and you will spend the entire match trying to shoot him. With netcode and ecm shield lights can brawl assaults and win easily. They are currently taking on 3+ mechs at a time. This is not because all the skilled players are in lights, its' because lights are broken when you add in 120+ engines and remove the only thing that can hit them (streaks) with ecm they can't be touched.

I am not saying that all light pilots are bad. I am saying that lights are currently broken and until netcode is fixed there are a LOT of bad players using them and sadly most think they are gods gift to mechwarrior and not just abusing a game mechanic. This is also why you see so many Cent D variants, they get the same netcode shield lights do. Just a hint guys, it's not that you are a amazing cent pilot in the D and it's got so much awesome because it goes fast. It goes fast and thus the Netcode gives you awesome. Netcode fix can not come soon enough.

This is a guide for those interested in a loadout, please keep on the topic and not rant about ECM, netcode, and lights being worthless.

Thank you.

#4 Phatel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Doesn't matter what loadout you bring or use, it is not worth owning and you are hurting your team for bringing one. If you really want to give someone advice. Tell them to ask for a refund on the MC. Until Netcode and ECM/Streaks are addressed this mech is a waste of MC. It has no advantages and anything you put on it will not perform better than a light you could purchase with ECM/Streaks. I could care less if you own one but at least be honest in how bad this mech is using current game mechanics.

#5 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image

Edited for Negative Nancy - Added an in-action death toll on the top left chat window.

Posted Image

Edited by Ryvucz, 23 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#6 GiJoeHawk

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

At work atm but will buy when I get home. How much was he?
Id like to fit in a tag, maybe a ll, 2 ml and tag?

People should stop crying about non ecm/streaks. Just because you cant win every fight doesnt mean you cant have fun. Remember playing games for fun? And useless? I think not. This mech will be an aggro magnet for a while. Use that to pull enemy lights into death traps or to lead ecm lights away from their teams opening up the rest for your team to destroy.

Edited by GiJoeHawk, 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#7 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostGiJoeHawk, on 23 January 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

People should stop crying about non ecm/streaks. Just because you cant win every fight doesnt mean you cant have fun. Remember playing games for fun? And useless? I think not. This mech will be an aggro magnet for a while. Use that to pull enemy lights into death traps or to lead ecm lights away from their teams opening up the rest for your team to destroy.

1,875 MC.

I would have to mess with it to see about fitting what you'd like in it, 4 tons is rough to squeeze in a Commando, unless of course you don't mind an XL and/or lower grade engine. =)

#8 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostGiJoeHawk, on 23 January 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Switching to an XL 210 will free up the tonnage needed for your load out, and actually be able to increase the armor by .5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous.

#9 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Well, it can't run ECM or streaks, but I do love to PewPewPew and you can buy it for a song...

I put together a quick build that runs 4 MPLAS. Might run a bit hot, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some part of me that wants to run around as ghetto-Mega Man.

#10 Commander Binz

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ - Lagshield Heaven

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hey guys, im just wondering - can you make a 2 x PPC build with Deaths Knell? With enough DHS to make it 1 heat efficiency or better?

Then it could be pretty damn awesome to play, maybe not that effective but definitely fun!!

Or can you just get a dual PPC build with one of the other variants instead? (both guns on the arms)

#11 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostCommander Binz, on 23 January 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Hey guys, im just wondering - can you make a 2 x PPC build with Deaths Knell? With enough DHS to make it 1 heat efficiency or better?

Then it could be pretty damn awesome to play, maybe not that effective but definitely fun!!

Or can you just get a dual PPC build with one of the other variants instead? (both guns on the arms)

There is no way you are going to fit 14 tons of weaponry on a 25 ton mech. You MIGHT be able to squeeze one on, and I'm sure it would run blazing hot.

Keep the PPCs on the big guys.

#12 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 23 January 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

There is no way you are going to fit 14 tons of weaponry on a 25 ton mech. You MIGHT be able to squeeze one on, and I'm sure it would run blazing hot.

Keep the PPCs on the big guys.

If you run an XL 200 with ES and full FF you can pack on a PPC and 2 Medium Lasers.

I personally prefer an XL210 with 1LL and 3ML's. You get the most potential damage and speed while still being able to reach out and touch someone with your large laser at range. Here is the build...THE DEATH'S KNELL

Edited by Sennin, 23 January 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#13 Garrik Gafgarion

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 23 January 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Might run a bit hot, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some part of me that wants to run around as ghetto-Mega Man.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who thought this when they saw that colour scheme on a commando! I intend to buy TDK for this reason alone.

#14 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostPhatel, on 23 January 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Doesn't matter what loadout you bring or use, it is not worth owning and you are hurting your team for bringing one. If you really want to give someone advice. Tell them to ask for a refund on the MC. Until Netcode and ECM/Streaks are addressed this mech is a waste of MC. It has no advantages and anything you put on it will not perform better than a light you could purchase with ECM/Streaks. I could care less if you own one but at least be honest in how bad this mech is using current game mechanics.

^ This. Best advice is to buy a 2D instead.

#15 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostPhatel, on 23 January 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

A light with no ecm is a dead mech.

You be aware that the Death's Knell has no missile hardpoints, aye?

#16 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I am thinking about running it with this loadout:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f30053fca8718c2

so 4 med pulse, an XL210 and max armor.

Sounds about fine for me.
you could even shave off a ton of armor and add another DHS.

#17 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I tried the 4MPL build, but it ran way to hot and couldn't rack out the DPS I needed so I dropped those in favour of 4ML with extra heatsinks. Also gave me room to upgrade to an XL195. But I still have a single ton which I can't fill, it sits there, mocking me. It has max armour as well

And to those who complain about its lack of ECM, I say harden the f*ck up. As I see it the Death Snail is for harassing larger mechs, not light-on-light battles. Stalkers are prime bait for me, them side torsos. I avoid the lights and p*ss off the long range and heavier mechs.

#18 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

did you look at my build? it runs with a xl210.

And yeah, it seems a little hot in theory. i guess i will have to try it out :D
probably over the weekend.

#19 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostEwigan, on 24 January 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

did you look at my build? it runs with a xl210.

And yeah, it seems a little hot in theory. i guess i will have to try it out :D
probably over the weekend.

I did, and if you can control the heat that'll be a *****, I'm sure. I just can't take overheating off 3 alphas. As I remember, I had 12 DHS in that build, as well.
But then, I'm rubbish at heat management, despite my recent infatuation with lasers.

#20 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I had a really similar build on my 1B, with 3 Mpulse 1 SSRM and an XL210.
but i had to shave of some tons of armor to make it work.
well not tons, but 1 ton of armor on a light mech is kind of a big deal ^^

it worked there though, as long as you only alphad now and then and mostly kept to chainfire.
occasionally weave out of the fight to cool down, etc.
it's a beast, i called it the "stinging bee" ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users