3Rd Person Views, Poll Revived

565 replies to this topic

Poll: 3rd person, yes, no, on the fence (1769 member(s) have cast votes)

3rd person Views

1. This is a BAD idea, as it will break the game, so, NO. (1535 votes [84.90%])

Percentage of vote: 84.90%

2. This is a GOOD Idea, let us have our 3rd person views, so YES. (129 votes [7.13%])

Percentage of vote: 7.13%

3. Do not care or as of yet undecided. (144 votes [7.96%])

Percentage of vote: 7.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#541 BA Dillard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Still don't care.

#542 DKTuesday

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostJestun, on 01 April 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Ah, so you are a "beta tester" (and I use the term loosely...) who is just in it for the game instead of providing feedback to the devs?

"mouse is better than joystick so lets abandon attempting to achieve balance" is still ridiculous, no matter how many times you repeat it. :wacko:

It's like saying "The police don't stop all crime therefore we may as well not bother having any police".

I provide feedback when I find an issue that is not known, through the support email.

Also your same logic applies to 3rd person. It's okay though, I'll concede to your point, because it obviously means more to you to have the last word than me. I'm more of the non-nazis gameplay. I'm not gonna tell you, that you have to use certain hardware to play, or a certain view.

I'm certainly not gonna judge something before I see it or try it myself.

Blind negativity is just as bad, if not worse, than being blindly loyal. I enjoy the game. I give feedback when I feel it is necessary, and I'm looking forward to things to come. Negativity only breeds negativity.

Good luck.

Edited by DKTuesday, 01 April 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#543 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostDKTuesday, on 01 April 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I provide feedback when I an issue that is not known, through the support email.

Also your same logic applies to 3rd person.
What logic? I was discussing your logic in thinking that "mouse > joystick" means we may as well have anarchy and not attempt to keep any form of balance.

It's okay though, I'll concede to your point, because it obviously means more to you to have the Kay weird than me.
I don't even know what this means... what is "Kay weird"?

I'm more of the non-nazis gameplay.
Comparing me with ****'s? I must have missed their anti-3rd person camera campaign. Was it overshadowed by their other activities?

I'm not gonna tell you, that you have to use certain hardware to play, or a certain view.
And I'm not going to tell you. PGI is going to tell us what we can use and we have the choice of offering feedback on that. If you don't want to offer feedback then don't. If you do then do. But don't whine that someone else dares to provide feedback which disagrees with your personal preferences.

I'm certainly not gonna judge something before I see it or try it myself.
When it comes to adding a 3rd person camera we all know what that means. perhaps you need to see it with your own eyes but I have seen more than enough myself.

The options are as follows:

1. 3rd person camera offers a clear advantage. It lets you look over / around things, it lets you see behind and beside your mech.

2. 3rd person camera is limited to the restrictions of 1st person camera. You cannot see behind or beside, you cannot see over/ around objects or terrain. Most of your screen is a fog of war with only what can be seen from the 1st person view rendered.

3. Some attempt at compromise between the above two which will give a smaller advantage to 3rd person cameras than 1. but not limit them as much as 2.

1. will **** off the 1st person players.
2. will **** off the 3rd person players.
3. will **** off everyone.

Blind negativity is just as bad, if not worse, than being blindly loyal. I enjoy the game. I give feedback when I feel it is necessary, and I'm looking forward to things to come. Negativity only breeds negativity.
I'm not offering blind negativity I'm offering feedback on adding a 3rd person view mode to a 1st person game and the implications it has. I'm willing to discuss multiple possible implementations (as evidenced by my 1, 2 & 3 above) and look at the effect each would have.

#544 Alois Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostJestun, on 01 April 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'm not offering blind negativity I'm offering feedback on adding a 3rd person view mode to a 1st person game and the implications it has.

Well that, and arguing with a troll on par with Teralitha. :wacko:

#545 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

If implemented as a "beginner mode" the limits the player in some way, but makes starting out a little less brutal, I'm good with it.

#546 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostDKTuesday, on 01 April 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

What's ridiculous is the incessant whining.

Also you missed the point obviously. Something is always gonna be an advantage to someone and a disadvantage to someone else. That's life. I don't care if it's in the game or not. If people get an advantage from 3rd that's fine I'm up for the challenge. Fear is for the weak.

Your comment is absolutely brutal and hilarious. It obviously shows you have no concept of what would or wouldn't make a good contribution to the game if added traditionally.

#547 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 27 March 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

Here is my opinion for all of you NON 3rd person view players (GET OVER IT) The sky is not falling down about 3rd person view. If your so against 3rd person till your alls next rage fit just save us some time and just rage quit now. Posted Image

it is easy mode for those who use it, it is a cowards tool, above all else, it is EASY EFFING MODE with 0 risk to you as you pop tart above or around corners with enemies PRE-LOCKED to your weapons, to fire and vanish like a p'toch.

#548 Lazydrones541

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

The ONLY thing I would support 3rd person view would be for:
A) Practice // training grounds matches
;) Skirmish matches that do not provide rewards at the end of the round.

#549 DrBunji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNorthwind

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

I cant believe the PGI Thought Police haven't locked this down yet, come on guys, if you let this continue maybe some new players will actually find out how few ***** you give about the fanbase.

Posted Image

#550 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Im surprised as well

keep the votes coming so we can get as high a number as possible before they lock it down

#551 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I would love 3rd Person view

J/K I vote no ;)

#552 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

<quietly wonders how long this sinking ship really has before it sinks on us>

Edited by Rejarial Galatan, 05 April 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#553 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

<blinks>

#554 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostBuddahcjcc, on 05 April 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

If you dont learn from the past.....
I cant wait for launch lol

sadly, it is launched, worse yet, its an unguided ballistic missile...

#555 PIRATEMECH

Clone

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

U NEED SOME CLEAR EYES BRO U KEEP BLINKING

#556 LTGear

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

for Spectator Mode yes with different angle for video making or observation purposes yes yes yes and so we can view other players mech what good are the paintings etc without a 3rd person view make it viewable 360 deg x & y !!

#557 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

You have to make a poll on Reddit or Facebook if you want it to get noticed.

#558 Target Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Cannot figure this game out lately....It looks like mw...but it really now since the last month's work...seems more like gears of war...twitchy twitchy....

I say this because what I am seeing here is NOT battletech....

In battletech...the pilots have nerohelmets...from which they are DIRECTLY connected to the mech's sensors...in essence they BECOME the mech as a second skin...so they do NOT play the pilot view as in a modern jet plane or a tank....they have the full range of senses just like a person.

I say this because this game right now is FUNDAMENTALLY flawed compared to past MW games...It is a first person shooter that uses mech skins...pure and simple....and frankly it does not even have the diversity of weapons of a normal FPS.

I say this because so many features of a normal MW game are broken here...

The radar...which is a key sensor suite...does not work...PERIOD. I play a missile game...thus I rely on the pos radar...which does not work at all. My game is avoid and shoot....and with the worthless radar in this game...you have mechs popping up randomly on your six that never show up on radar....In most cases I am looking at a 5 second max on the damn units even showing up on the radar at all..

That kind of stuff doesn't matter to the in your face shooter guys...and the long range sniper guys cause all of these fools are playing a visual game...nope this kind of sensor question is for the guys who play the indirect...lay and shoot based on sensor game...and the sensor suite in this game is a total POS.. the BAP does not work...PERIOD... the ecm obliterates ALL Radar...and the basic radar is modled so very poorly that it forces all players into nothing but a visual game...

That's sad...because MW is supposed to be about a variety of different styles all coming together in team play...Frankly Chromehounds should be the model here...It adhered to the MW5 model we were beta testing...and substituted a future war between three nations using different skins for the mechs in place of the galaxy clan invasion motif that FASA stole from the Roman Succession Wars... In chromehounds...you KNEW where your opponents were on radar...yes you could use power down...but you had DECENT radar....in which you could target your friends and foes...friends to keep close and foes to prepare for. In addition...you EARNED parts....and you had a reasonable rate of earning credits.... that kept people interested with different mechs and an almost infinite level of builds. I could go on and on...but the basics in that game were the dream of every MW player...

This game right now reminds me of MW2...in its early stages...It looks battletech...but it is so very broken...that it's difficult to play...

Hope that the final game is more playable...and gives players some other options than sniping and dod....

And third person....I prefer FPS mode...but I really like the third person cause I like to see that mech I spent weeks of game play to earn....

but then I am more of a battletech purist...having beta tested MW3, 4, and 5....as well as MC1 and 2...

#559 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 05 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

sadly, it is launched, worse yet, its an unguided ballistic missile...

well until what the devs are calling launch. Because if the "game is whatever the devs say it is" then at that point they will be fair game for critics.

View PostEdward Steiner, on 05 April 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

You have to make a poll on Reddit or Facebook if you want it to get noticed.

Roadbeer, on 21 March 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Bryan, please answer this honestly. I have seen 2 polls on this topic and they have been OVERWHELMINGLY against 3rd person. Why are you guys so stuck on this when clearly the players (by majority) don't want it?

The poll he's talking about was asking if we wanted 3rd person view AT ALL and it was 5000 to 100 against
http://mwomercs.com/...s-poll-revived/ theres another one, 1500 to 128 against.

The PROBLEM with this is this reply from Bryan himself:

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Honest answer.

The analysis on those who voted, showed that the majority of votes came from a very narrow demographic of our player base. And while they represent some of core players, they did not necessarily represent the opinion of the general user base. The majority of our players never visit, post, or read the forum content, so the poll could be considered weighted in favour of a specific demographic.

Since the majority of players who have an issue with 3rd person come generally from the core players, we elected to address this issue via this forum post to collect all of the concerns and ideas that this group faces or has with 3rd person.

they analyzed the ppl who voted 5k against and decided that the forum population isnt enough pl to care what they think. They only care about their Reddit, Twitter and facebook followers (who may well not even play). Theyre looking at the two birds in the bush while holding on to one in their hand.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 06 April 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#560 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Does anybody else think that the player preference for Team Death Match is greater that that for 3rd Person View? And related to that, which is more likely to split the player base?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users