91 replies to this topic

#81 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostDie Primate Die, on 24 August 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I like it...but going to a 300xl gave me all the bells & whistles to boot....lookee! B)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4b84da58d61bb3b

Your build has 2 ECM modules in it. I applaud your ingenuity, but I don't think it will work in-game. B)

Dropping one will give you the room for a machine gun and a ton of ammo. I realize that one is not too effective on its own, but better than nothing.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 24 August 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#82 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I have been playing with my mini-archers to try to get them an engine I can use for other mechs rather than having to run a unique size. It's not what I'd call optimal, but it has the perfect engine to drop in a flea or locust... I also tweaked the original for better ammo supply at the cost of a bit of leg armor. The 170XL does have the same 900 LRMs (30 shots of 30 missiles) of the new Mini-Archer, with a bit better leg armor, and as the Alt before mounts a tag for ECM penetration, However it can only hit 75.7 kph with speed tweak and 68.9 kph without. This is down from the Mini-Archers 79/86.9 kph which means your under the speed of many other mediums and easy prey to lights who can run you down... Still a very functional support build as long as it has support, preferably from another medium or a heavy.

Oh I've also been playing with some heavy ballistic ideas for the 3M after playing with my Jagers recently. As you can probably guess (if you caught a glimpse of the names) they all run either a Gauss Rifle or LB-10X... The first one runs a build almost identical to the hollander by mounting a Gauss rifle with 2 tons of ammo. This version though does add 2 SLs for minimal backup... It can also run at 107/118 kph.

The second trades speed for an extra ton of ammo, so it can only reach 99/109 kph.

The third trades the Gauss for a lighter LB-10X and is more designed as a flanker/light hunter. It can reach speeds of 113/124 kph and mounts 4 SL as backup with 4 tons (60 rounds) of ammo.

The fourth is closer to the Hollander G1 variant mounting 2 ML in the CT in place of the 4 SL of the third design.

I lack the engines to test the 'Hollander' Cicadas, but if anyone is bored feel free and tell me how they do.

Edited by Shadey99, 30 August 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#83 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

Some alternate Ninja Sniper builds after the recent PPC changes: 2xPPC CDA-3M and the 2xER LL CDA-3M. The PPC model has the 2xSL for when the PPCs cannot do damage (because the target is to close), but it runs hot and you will need to pace yourself. The 2xER LL build is somewhat cooler and has no minimum range and the MG is pure extra DPS to finish off targets who have lost their armor without adding more heat.

#84 CrushU

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

I've had some surprisingly good success on this mixed-weapon CDA-3M build:
CDA-3M

Preferred range is the LL, but it can come into the fray once heavier mechs have closed to range and up its DPS by switching to the mediums. It can sustain either the MLs or the LL without issue, firing only the MPL will let heat go down slowly... Or you can alpha everything if you need a burst of damage. I like it. :)

#85 CritJoe

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Just thought I'd throw my X-5 build out there.

XL 280 for 113.4 speed
2 ER LL
2 ML
double heat sinks
and max armor.

I group the ER Large Lasers together and the ML's together so I can fire them separately or together. Gotta watch the heat when you alpha but as long as you keep moving and manage your heat properly you can really dish out some damage. Just a 600+ damage game with this build actually.

#86 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostCritJoe, on 18 September 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Just thought I'd throw my X-5 build out there.

XL 280 for 113.4 speed
2 ER LL
2 ML
double heat sinks
and max armor.

I group the ER Large Lasers together and the ML's together so I can fire them separately or together. Gotta watch the heat when you alpha but as long as you keep moving and manage your heat properly you can really dish out some damage. Just a 600+ damage game with this build actually.

I run a XL 300 version of that from time to time... Most recently though I have been running my X-5 like this Heat Neutral CDA-2A I made. The Heat Neutral X-5 is nearly identical except for moving 2 lasers to the more mobile 'arms'. Both have the advantage of being unable to overheat even with continuous fire of all weapons (figuring elite piloting bonuses are unlocked).

#87 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostShadey99, on 21 September 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

I run a XL 300 version of that from time to time... Most recently though I have been running my X-5 like this Heat Neutral CDA-2A I made. The Heat Neutral X-5 is nearly identical except for moving 2 lasers to the more mobile 'arms'. Both have the advantage of being unable to overheat even with continuous fire of all weapons (figuring elite piloting bonuses are unlocked).

I've run heat neutral builds from time to time, but usually I find that I want more punch. In my experience you can disengage quickly enough in a cicada to cool down when needed. Still though it all comes down to play style, and depending on the fight, the sustained fire can be the deciding factor. If you find yourself fighting a LL boat, or something equally hot, you will be able to wear them down.

#88 Voidrazor

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

This 3M build has some glaring weaknesses, but being a dedicated stealth gauss sniper, its a favorite, due to playing differently than any other mech I've piloted. Really, it flies in the face of conventional wisdom in several areas. You don't want to be too close to teammates, as their fire, unlike yours, gives away your position. The mech is a lot slower than a Cicada can usually get away with, but that doesn't matter. You can't win a brawl or dogfight with any other mech anyway. But if you are well camouflaged, you can often shoot enemies over and over without them being able to find you. For that reason, investing in the most desaturated green and brown paint colors is a good idea, and highly relevant to your survival. Rather than edging in and out of cover, standing still in front of something dark at about 900m from your target seems to work better. Be sure not to silhouette yourself against the sky!

The XL255 engine seems to be about the right compromise for this build. Again, you can't dogfight worth a damn. But its usually fast enough to make a dash to teammates if an enemy light finds you. And, at least as importantly, its fast enough to get up most hills to reach crucial elevated firing positions. A larger engine doesn't leave room for a fourth ton of ammo. And if things go at all well, three tons is not enough. It might be tempting to go with three tons and a medium laser. But a single laser won't be enough to beat anyone, and that fourth ton is almost always enough to last through the match.

#89 JayVrb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Winner winner chicken dinner

Can't speak highly enough of this build. Pretty conventional, but i consistently get between 400-600 damage with this loadout. 133kph/tweak is more than respectable speed to bring your incredibly powerful alpha (for a mech this size and speed) to bear. Don't take on mechs one-on-one, don't be the first into the fight, and don't chase lights. Wait until the fray starts, and assassinate any mechs you can get the drop on. This is a derty mech.

XL300 (the scientifically proven sweet spot for Cicadas)
4ML
2SRM4
Near max armor

I can't afford to go any slower because of the Cicada's magnetic center torso.

Edited by Vrbas, 19 November 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#90 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostVrbas, on 19 November 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Winner winner chicken dinner

Can't speak highly enough of this build. Pretty conventional, but i consistently get between 400-600 damage with this loadout. 133kph/tweak is more than respectable speed to bring your incredibly powerful alpha (for a mech this size and speed) to bear. Don't take on mechs one-on-one, don't be the first into the fight, and don't chase lights. Wait until the fray starts, and assassinate any mechs you can get the drop on. This is a derty mech.

XL300 (the scientifically proven sweet spot for Cicadas)
4ML
2SRM4
Near max armor

I can't afford to go any slower because of the Cicada's magnetic center torso.

I LOVE my X-5. It's also by far my most played mech.

I also love it when people like to one of my threads in another of my threads. :)

#91 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

Behold:
Boomcada

I know there are already AC20 builds, but this is pure boom. The armour is reasonable, and you can last at least most of a match with five tons of ammo. Aside from the Raven, the Cicada is the smallest AC20 mount there is, and although the articulation of the Raven's arm is nice, it's also much easier to shoot off.

Here's an example of what you can do, thanks to the overpowered nature of the AC20:
Spoiler

#92 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hands down my favorite Cicada 2B build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...355cb34351267e3

I have a three button mouse. So I tend to map my right click to the two MLs on my right arm. And the two MLs on my left arm to the left click. With the third button (A thumb button in this case) to my ERLL. The mapping to the 'side' makes for some great ability to use cover or to keep heat down when I can tell only one side has a shot - whether due to cover, or a friendly mech in the way.

The ERLL is great for long range sniping and pot shots when I can.

I do admit there's times I drop two HSs for an LPL - and it tends to do just as good, if not better. Though part of that is I'm bad at holding lasers on target. Yet the long range of the ERLL is hard to beat with some of the long range maps we've got. And the Alpha Strike barely suffers. Not to mention getting a better heat profile with the two more heatsinks.

I tend to get in the 300-400 range, gone into the 500s. Admittedly, I'm also not a particularly good player - see my above statement about being bad at holding lasers on target - which is only exacerbated by moving at 133 KPH. So I don't often get a lot of kills or component destruction except by luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users