Nvidia Geforce Experience Beta Now Available To The Public

26 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

GeForce Experience hits open beta status and adds support for new games.

http://www.maximumpc...able_public2012

Posted Image

"The GeForce Experience is a software tool that takes the guesswork out of figuring out the best graphics settings for supported titles. It takes into consideration your hardware and adjusts in-game settings to appropriate values based on real-world tests across thousands of hardware configurations. In theory, supported games should look better and run faster with less hassle."

http://www.geforce.c...rience/download

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 24 January 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#2 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Forgive my ignorance, or call it elitism if you will. . but are there really a legion of gamers out there so ignorant of their tech that they actually NEED this software? I thought those kind of people all played FarmVille or Bejeweled or things like that?

Not being a smart alec or a troll, I just honestly can't conceive a gamer that knows NOTHING about his rig. . it'd be like a samurai that didn't know the first thing about katana >.>

#3 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I with you on that, I still remember the days of pushing different orders of TSRs into Highmem hoping to eek out a bit more performance.

But there are a lot of people who don't understand the very basics of how their hardware, game & OS all interact with each other. Just look at the number of threads of people wondering why their on die APUs can't run the game at max settings and 100FPSs.

#4 OtherGamer

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

WHAT? I need a software to make my GC fit Farmville?

More seriously, I don't play those kind of games, but I don't think that you need to know every thing about your rig to be able to play games. I don't know if this software will be some kind of usefull for me, but as I have to set the lowest setting on my rig to make this game playable it will do no harm to try.

Not everyone is a computer Gouru.

#5 ASSASSYN X

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOn top of a hill targeting you

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

I downloaded this today, and my FPS jumped up to 70 with dips to 50 during combat. It used to be 60 max with dips to 45. It works. I like it a lot.

#6 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

View PostSen, on 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Forgive my ignorance, or call it elitism if you will. . but are there really a legion of gamers out there so ignorant of their tech that they actually NEED this software? I thought those kind of people all played FarmVille or Bejeweled or things like that?

Not being a smart alec or a troll, I just honestly can't conceive a gamer that knows NOTHING about his rig. . it'd be like a samurai that didn't know the first thing about katana >.>

plenty of gamers are clueless. not everyone is a nerd.

#7 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I still remember the days of pushing different orders of TSRs into Highmem hoping to eek out a bit more performance.

Oh geez, the days of EMM386. . . extended vs EXPANDED memory! 2 *MB* ram!

. . .geez time flies. . seems like just yesterday I got my first sound blaster card so I could have audio with the original wing commander ;)

plenty of gamers are clueless. not everyone is a nerd.

I appreciate the implied compliment there. I know you're right, but it's the same thing as watching some random person of random gender take 15 minutes trying to park an SUV while talking on a cell phone. There comes a point you just wanna walk up, knock politely on the window, and when they roll it down beat them senseless with a damp herring.

:D

I downloaded this today, and my FPS jumped up to 70 with dips to 50 during combat. It used to be 60 max with dips to 45. It works. I like it a lot.

Is this with the rig in your signature??? WTF did the software feel the need to lower O.O

Edit 2. For those that feel they NEED a program like this, here is the AMD equivilant. Not created by AMD, but apparently they've been supporting the project.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

OK, after looking closer I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing. . someone suggested it in the comments at the bottom of the O/P's original linked thread, but I'm going to leave the link up anyway, as it still seems like it may be a useful tool to some.

Edited by Sen, 26 January 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#8 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Meh.
Dropped my fps from close to 100 out of combat to 60. IF it does not drop more than to 50 IN combat then ok, but I was too busy dodging to check...

#9 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Looks like it doesn't support square screens with resolution 1280x960. Too bad, I wanted to see how well this would work.

#10 OtherGamer

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

It didn't helped me, I am already at the minimum settings (with a resolution of 1280x something) to get 30-40 fps.

The program just wrote that I didn't meet the minimal system requirements.^^

#11 Axex

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationInterned on Yorii

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Isn't working for me either.
But then again I might just need a big investment to upgrading my rig.

The built is 4 years old.

Systeem:
GPU 2x GTX295 in SLI (4096MB).
CPU i7 295 (1st gen.)
OS Windows 7 Ultra
RAM 12 GB DDR3
No SSD's, just 4x 640GB HDD's in RAID 10.

At the moment ~10 - 35 fps.
Night and Heat vision are killing fps.

Edited by Axex, 27 January 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#12 ASSASSYN X

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOn top of a hill targeting you

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostSen, on 26 January 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

[/size]

Oh geez, the days of EMM386. . . extended vs EXPANDED memory! 2 *MB* ram!

. . .geez time flies. . seems like just yesterday I got my first sound blaster card so I could have audio with the original wing commander <_<

[/size]

I appreciate the implied compliment there. I know you're right, but it's the same thing as watching some random person of random gender take 15 minutes trying to park an SUV while talking on a cell phone. There comes a point you just wanna walk up, knock politely on the window, and when they roll it down beat them senseless with a damp herring.

:)

[/size]

Is this with the rig in your signature??? WTF did the software feel the need to lower O.O

Edit 2. For those that feel they NEED a program like this, here is the AMD equivilant. Not created by AMD, but apparently they've been supporting the project.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

OK, after looking closer I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing. . someone suggested it in the comments at the bottom of the O/P's original linked thread, but I'm going to leave the link up anyway, as it still seems like it may be a useful tool to some.

Yes, it is off the rig in my signature. I configured MWO based off a thread on these forums for my GPU. I have always had all the setting set to high. I have absolutely no idea what changed after I used the extreme experience beta, but it did a helluva job configuring my GPU. A lot better than I apparently could do. It also eliminated the random frame rate dips I was having in plametside 2. And that is on ULTRA. It's FPS are at 170 with dips to 70 in large battles.

And a person such as myself who put more time in flying aircraft, than sitting around playing with a PC so I can be that guy* on the Internet values a program like this. I rather have software by the makers of my GPU configure it, than me. So yes, not everyone is a nerd about PCs, like not everyone is nerd about aviation. I would not expect you to know how to plot a course and file a flight plan. Something I am very capable of doing. If you are good at configuring pcs, don't be naive to think everyone else is or should be also.

Edited by ASSASSYN X, 29 January 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#13 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostAxex, on 27 January 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Isn't working for me either.
But then again I might just need a big investment to upgrading my rig.

The built is 4 years old.

Systeem:
GPU 2x GTX295 in SLI (4096MB).
CPU i7 295 (1st gen.)
OS Windows 7 Ultra
RAM 12 GB DDR3
No SSD's, just 4x 640GB HDD's in RAID 10.

At the moment ~10 - 35 fps.
Night and Heat vision are killing fps.

Yeah your CPU is holding you back. A GTX 295 isn't a bad card, even today, if you discount t the lack of DX11. If you have the money, I'd say it is definitely getting to be that time with your rig.

As for this software by Nvidia, look, obviously most seasoned gamers know how to adjust in-game settings to meet their hardware capabilities, but this kind of software is the kind of thing that could allow entry into PC gaming without having to understand all the scary technical stuff right away. It's a way in for new people who don't necessarily want to sit around reading Wikipedia articles on FXAA and ambient occlusion for three weeks straight, which is honestly a complaint I see about PC gaming. A lot of people shy away from it with the attitude of "why game on the PC and deal with all that hassle when console games are already optimized for my exact hardware setup, out of the box?". Having a better system to automatically adjust settings, beyond what games themselves can often do with their limited information, is a great way to address this legitimate criticism. Will I personally use it? no. Do I support the idea? Absolutely.

#14 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

[color=#959595]I would expect you to know how to plot a course and file a flight plan[/color]

With all due respect, if ANYONE were going to fly an aircraft, regardless of whether i was on the thing or not, YES I would expect them to be able to know how to plot a course and file a flight plan. Part of why I DO NOT pilot aircraft is because I cannot do these things.

Knowledge in one area NEVER justifies ignorance in another. I may be more sensitive to this, as part of my job is going into situations and working with various mechanical, electical, and computerized systems my company manufactures, most of which I've never even SEEN much less been trained to service/install. My paycheck and continued employment depend on being able to overcome this and get the work done while exceeding the customer's expectations.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not attempting to insult or belittle you. As an aviator, you're obviously a person of intellect, patience, and dedication. I guess I just think it's a shame that someone with those kinds of qualifications would go around saying "I don't have time to" which implies a certain laziness from someone as intelligent as you, when I suspect you mean "I have no inclination to learn this" which, under the circumstances, is a completely reasonable answer.

In any case, I'm surprised at the success this program had for you, as when I ran it, all it did was tell me to go into the game and turn all my settings to low.

[color=#959595]As for this software by Nvidia, look, obviously most seasoned gamers know how to adjust in-game settings to meet their hardware capabilities, but this kind of software is the kind of thing that could allow entry into PC gaming without having to understand all the scary technical stuff right away. It's a way in for new people who don't necessarily want to sit around reading Wikipedia articles on FXAA and ambient occlusion for three weeks straight, which is honestly a complaint I see about PC gaming. A lot of people shy away from it with the attitude of "why game on the PC and deal with all that hassle when console games are already optimized for my exact hardware setup, out of the box?". Having a better system to automatically adjust settings, beyond what games themselves can often do with their limited information, is a great way to address this legitimate criticism. Will I personally use it? no. Do I support the idea? Absolutely.[/color]

There is a place for these people. It is called a "console". People there can continue to use their "controllers" and brag to each other about how many . . "young individuals" they have killed. The market share of the "hard of thinking" generation can stay where they're wanted, under the thumb of an industry so contemptuous of it's user base that they continue to push premium prices on 7 + year old technology, all the while stealing money [live membership to access services like netflix] or functionality [Where do I start with the PS3 on that one????]

Perhaps I'm punishing the masses for their allegiance to companies and business models I have nothing but the utmost contempt for, and perhaps I've just spent enough time listening to the. . "people" my older son plays with (and against) to have become contemptuous of the people themselves.

Sadly, no person is a saint, I suppose ;)

#15 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

It recommended I turned certain settings to high instead of very high. My FPS raised from 90 to 120!

;)

#16 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostSen, on 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

From what you gleen when talking to the general public, and reading interviews with people in the know about this kind of thing (you can articles via google I guess, I can't link any right now, but I've read many accounts over the years), it seems that very many people just install the game and then click "play" without ever going to the options menu to even set up resolution of their game, meaning if they have a widescreen monitor or something, and the game defaults to 1024x768, they will play it at that. Amazing, right?

I know I have several friends who game on PC that don't bother with options at all as well... and they've been gaming for years. They'll set up resolution, but unless there's some issue with performance they don't touch the default settings. It can be confusing to know what something means and people don't want to spend time figuring out the best balance of settings or what SSAO means or does and whether they should enable that or 2x MSAA...

Geforce Experience is a great addition to the PC, to help all users have a good experience, not just those who know what they're doing. And I really do think that those are in the minority. No matter how much the elite wants to think that they are the majority.

#17 Norgur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 337 posts
  • LocationAugsburg, Germany

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostPOWR, on 29 January 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I know I have several friends who game on PC that don't bother with options at all as well... and they've been gaming for years. They'll set up resolution, but unless there's some issue with performance they don't touch the default settings. It can be confusing to know what something means and people don't want to spend time figuring out the best balance of settings or what SSAO means or does and whether they should enable that or 2x MSAA...

Fully agree! Back in "my days" there was one slider called "AA". And that was that. Now you may mess around with MSAA, SSAO, CSAA, QAA and whatever else might crawl around in some developer's dungeons. In Multiplayer games I will tweak for myself. Anytime. But in Single Player Games, where it's not important if there is a little framedrop sometimes, I just do not want to tweak, optimize, test, tweak again, and so on. I just want to enjoy the f**** game at the highest quality possible with adequate performance. And if I do not agree with the settings, GeForce Experience wants to set, it at least spares me googling cryptic settings (like the "Geometry" setting in Far Cry 3. "Geometry" could be almost anything, so what does this setting do ingame?) as it marks the meant effect clearly visible and with a small explanation on a screenshot of the game. So at least it will tell me what every setting does so I can figure out for myself if I a) need it and :blink: can live with a possible perfomance impact. You could google that as well, but that would be more freetime originally reserved for gaming that just gets lost.

Edited by Norgur, 30 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#18 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

heh, for some reason it can't optimize MWO, and I have the newest beta drivers. Weird.

#19 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostSen, on 29 January 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

There is a place for these people. It is called a "console". People there can continue to use their "controllers" and brag to each other about how many . . "young individuals" they have killed. The market share of the "hard of thinking" generation can stay where they're wanted, under the thumb of an industry so contemptuous of it's user base that they continue to push premium prices on 7 + year old technology, all the while stealing money [live membership to access services like netflix] or functionality [Where do I start with the PS3 on that one????]

Perhaps I'm punishing the masses for their allegiance to companies and business models I have nothing but the utmost contempt for, and perhaps I've just spent enough time listening to the. . "people" my older son plays with (and against) to have become contemptuous of the people themselves.

Sadly, no person is a saint, I suppose :D

Whoa now. You're saying that because there are people who might not know the difference between FXAA and MSAA, they're "hard of thinking"? I study under people with PhDs in subjects as varied as ecology and climatology, who probably don't know this stuff, or have any great knowledge of computing in general but I'd hardly call them uneducated or unintelligent. I mean, do you have a PhD in ecology?

I'm not going to tell someone that they're not "worthy" to game on a PC, as though I was part of some divinely ordained master race, looking down upon the poor console peasantry, just because they don't know everything about computing jargon from the get-go. I'd expect them to take the time to learn the basics, certainly, but I wouldn't tell them that until they had an A+ Certification, they shouldn't even try to pick up a PC game.

That's just elitist nonsense, emphasis on the nonsense part. There are many, many people who would probably get into PC gaming if the barriers to entry were lower, and I'm not going to shun them, or act as though I'm somehow superior to them, just because they aren't already experts at navigating those barriers. Every one of us had to learn what we know about computing, so it's hardly rational to be critical of people who haven't happened to have gone through that process themselves, just yet, let alone to use that as some kind of proxy measure of overall intelligence, or willingness to promote depth in gaming. I don't deny that there's a certain breed of gamer, the stereotypical "console tard", that I have disdain for (they're the people who make up he 70% or so of the COD player base that that franchise is so famous for), but I'm not going to condemn someone as being part of that group just because they haven't happened to make the jump over to PC gaming.

#20 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Cat, I completely understand where you're coming from. I'll simply leave it at this:

do you have a PhD in ecology?

No, I don't. What I *DO* have is decades of experience in IT support and troubleshooting, both professional and personal. If *THAT* doesn't explain my attitude on the subject, I don't know of anything that will, and we'll have to chalk it up to "difference of opinion" and move on with our respective lives.

I know EXACTLY how I am on this subject. I did not start out with this attitude. I suspect it's related to brain damage from repeatedly /facepalming and beating my head on walls from dealing with the typical "user".

Edited by Sen, 30 January 2013 - 02:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users